A solution to the "Run away from hordes" problem.

Dimpy

Personally, I've never liked the BM horde since it's introduction way back when and if I ever do play again it will be with the BM off. Thank you for that setting. Now, having said that- IF I were going to play and face hordes this is how I would want it to go:

If you are logged on and actively playing (I only play on MP servers) and you chose to avoid the horde then the heatmap around your base skyrockets and you will have to deal with screamers and all manner of nuisances for the next few days afterward. This would simulate you NOT clearing out the horde. If you do stay and fight until dawn and kill the horde spawns then for the next couple of days you get peace and quiet. You can craft and forge and everything with no screamers coming at you. To me, that seems like a clear cost/benefit weighting. No artificial nerfs, just whether to run in the short term and deal with long term problems, or vice versa. Because honestly, why build vehicles if they are just going to crap out on you when most needed? I hate solutions like that.

Having said THAT, I understand with current limitations this solution probably wouldn't work what with extra screamer hordes taking up maximum available zombie slots. I could see it working in SP maybe. But I'd rather see solutions that are a bit more than just "Let's render all the cool gear inoperable during the BM" Another solution would be vehicle complexity. Make me gather fuel. Or sparkplugs. Or tires. Make all that stuff wear out so I need to carry spares. Make it so gas you find is better but the stuff you make wears your engine down faster. If I go through all the trouble to build a vehicle and keep it repaired then I think I should deserve to run from a horde if I so choose. I don't think this fits with the streamlined crafting that MM seems to prefer though.

Whatever they come up with, enjoy. I'll be playing with BM hordes off anyways.

The problem isn't that its possible to survive the horde night. The issue is some of the most effective ways are less interesting.

All your suggestions would do make the already OP "turn off game and go outside" and "wait for the death debuff to wear off" horde avoidance strategies even more viable compared to everything else. :D

Yep :02.47-tranquillity: . E.g. base defence is less interesting way for me, I start build base only when have concrete, and do not place even single trap.

And Im sure, all this "issue founders" is Single Player gamers. And guys, if you play SP, you do not have the right to decide how other players play their SP games. Really, start servers with "fixed issues", and check how many players want to play with your rules.

P.S. Why Im think they are SP gamers? Because there are three additional options for horde night when you play MP:

1) Stay at friend base

2) Servers often have undestructible lobby/safezone for horde night

3) And at least you just may logout when BM begins and login when it ends. And nobody cares about it.

When you play MP, nobody cares how do you spend your horde night.

Yep :02.47-tranquillity: . E.g. base defence is less interesting way for me, I start build base only when have concrete, and do not place even single trap.

And Im sure, all this "issue founders" is Single Player gamers. And guys, if you play SP, you do not have the right to decide how other players play their SP games. Really, start servers with "fixed issues", and check how many players want to play with your rules.

P.S. Why Im think they are SP gamers? Because there are three additional options for horde night when you play MP:

1) Stay at friend base

2) Servers often have undestructible lobby/safezone for horde night

3) And at least you just may logout when BM begins and login when it ends. And nobody cares about it.

When you play MP, nobody cares how do you spend your horde night.

So I get from 1,2 and 3 that changing driving on horde night doesn't really affect MP players. So you as a MP player, why do you care about some balancing that seemingly only affects SP ?

I read this thread, and noticed that you guys see only part of existing BM problems, but there are much more:

- driving away from the horde issue (disabling vechicles must help yeah!)

- running away from the horde issue (Im pretty sure running must be disabled too, and also player must get diarrhea)

- swimming away from the horde issue (Lets water become ice)

- digging underground away from the horde issue (All underground fills with deadly toxic gas!)

- sitting in base defense away from the horde issue (All blocks become durability 1! Its awesome solution, base defense is worst possible abuse)

- killing zombies away from the horde issue (Lets disable attack function complete until BM ends)

All this issues definitely must be fixed to satisfy players of different playstyles, coz now they should be equal in horde night - no base, no runaway, no fight.

I appreciate your sense of humour.

There are some amongst us that would only be happy if everyone plays the way they do. Apparently we need to stand out in the open like rambo and kill everything like a tower defense without the tower...because every other way is an 'exploit'.

Archived