Correct me if I'm wrong...

Seronys

But don't vehicles trivialize the game?

Correct me if I'm wrong but can't you simply outrun the duration of a bloodmoon on a motorcycle? I feel like every blood moon/horde is easily trivialized by motorcycles/vehicles in general.

The aim of the game is to survive, and if this the best way to survive a bloodmoon it seems almost stupid to not do it. Me and some friends are at day 30 on a 3 day bloodmoon cycle and the last bloodmoon completely destroyed our base (to the point of making me want to restart due to feeling like I squandered my time), but whats the point of doing that if I can simply hop on my bike and not need to ever worry about making a base?

IDK, seems like the idea of doing it is ruining the game for me, tell me there is some balancing/check in place to stop this from occuring?

You can outrun bloodmoons, but so what? If you don't want to deal with them you can just turn them off. So since they're so easy to avoid anyway being able to outrun them is pretty irrelevant. All you're doing is wasting fuel and time when there is a much easier way to achieve the same end.

On the other hand, vehicles are a great addition to the game when it comes to the quest and trader systems. They vastly reduce the amount boring walking to and from quest sites and/or traders, and speed up the "getting to the good part" of the actual quest or trading run - the interaction with stuff when you get there.

IDK, seems like the idea of doing it is ruining the game for me, tell me there is some balancing/check in place to stop this from occuring?

No, there isn't anything stopping a player from hopping in a vehicle and riding around all night, any more than there isn't anything stopping a player from simply turning off the blood moon altogether in the game options, or editing it out in the XML's, or simply logging out during the BM on a multi-player server.

The Pimps may, or may not, do something about vehicles (I doubt it, and if they do, I hope they make some thematically consistent reason for the sudden and temporary loss of vehicles during BM's), but for now, it's up to the player to face the horde if they want to do so.

You can outrun bloodmoons, but so what? If you don't want to deal with them you can just turn them off. So since they're so easy to avoid anyway being able to outrun them is pretty irrelevant. All you're doing is wasting fuel and time when there is a much easier way to achieve the same end.

On the other hand, vehicles are a great addition to the game when it comes to the quest and trader systems. They vastly reduce the amount boring walking to and from quest sites and/or traders, and speed up the "getting to the good part" of the actual quest or trading run - the interaction with stuff when you get there.

It's not about NOT wanting to deal with them, it's about vehicles being the BEST way to deal with them, to the point of breaking the game.

No, there isn't anything stopping a player from hopping in a vehicle and riding around all night, any more than there isn't anything stopping a player from simply turning off the blood moon altogether in the game options, or editing it out in the XML's, or simply logging out during the BM on a multi-player server.

The Pimps may, or may not, do something about vehicles (I doubt it, and if they do, I hope they make some thematically consistent reason for the sudden and temporary loss of vehicles during BM's), but for now, it's up to the player to face the horde if they want to do so.

That's unfortunate, since vehicles are a nice addition, but they seem to imbalanced if I can simply completely avoid a horde with them : /

The game then becomes a cycle of getting the measly amount of gas it takes to outrun a horde without ever having to worry about my base getting destroyed : /

I'm with you on that one. My quests are partly up to 4 kilometers apart. I don't want to do that on foot.

That's unfortunate, since vehicles are a nice addition, but they seem to imbalanced if I can simply completely avoid a horde with them : /

The game then becomes a cycle of getting the measly amount of gas it takes to outrun a horde without ever having to worry about my base getting destroyed : /

Removing vehicles purely for this reason, and you'd have to remove the blood moon frequency option in the game settings menu, lock the XML to prevent players from editing the horde out that way, reduce maximum LCB claim size, and force players logging out during the BM horde to leave a "player object" behind which the horde could target.

I don't imagine any of those would be popular solutions. The game is what you make of it, because you can do something, doesn't mean you have to.

Why do you care so much that this possibility exists? You don't have to use it.

If you don't want to be tempted, just put your vehicle in a box that you can't reach during the horde. Problem solved.

Of course you could also escape the horde on foot. There are only a few zombies that can run as fast as the player. And with enough coffee on your belt, you won't have any problems with stamina.

Why do you care so much that this possibility exists? You don't have to use it.

If you don't want to be tempted, just put your vehicle in a box that you can't reach during the horde. Problem solved.

Of course you could also escape the horde on foot. There are only a few zombies that can run as fast as the player. And with enough coffee on your belt, you won't have any problems with stamina.

I mean the point of the game is survival... If something is so easily done to complete the objective I kinda feel like the game has failed.

The thing is, guys; with the logic you're using, then why not just play with cheats altogether? You can go creative and get any item anytime you want anyways, right?

The problem here is that the feeling of accomplishment after surviving a horde gets very stale if you know you could just get on your bike and move forward. Sure, that doesn't mean you can't still build your awesome fotress and have fun, but it's not about that. It's more of a psychological issue, I'd say.

However, unless a magical EMP wave spreads through the map during horde night, I see no way to fix this problem.

I can see the OP point of view, but vehicles benefits to me far outweigh any negative aspects. Last alpha I have not faced a blood moon horde at my base. I prefer to use other POI, 2 story houses are preferred and battle there. I have yet to die during a blood moon in this alpha doing this.

I find fighting the BM horde similar to some events in Terraria after you unlock Hardmode. First time you get it it's like "finally, i'll have some loot from this" or "finally, i'll have it finished". But when you get a 5th Solar Eclipse or 8th Bloodmoon, you're simply fed up that it disturbs your building, exploring or whatever. The worst in this aspect are invasions (goblin, pirate and martian) where you have to defeat it in order for it to end, therefore you could be running underground for hours, not caring about it, but when you get back to surface, they will still be there.

In either case, it is something that may not be skipped directly (although there are ways for in both games) and it can be making you feel cringy, yet some BMs can simply be devastating, bothersome, when others are full of action, emotions and unimaginable surprises.

You have always been able to outrun them on foot as well. Well at least since like alpha 4(probably before). So that is a zero factor when if comes to vehicles. Now coming out of a poi/quest and having your bike eleventy billion feet in the air, ya that's what I call I problem with vehicles. The is just recycled problem in my opinion that goes back as far as I can remember. Probably most well known example, building under ground.

I used to feel that way about the Gyrocopter. I thought...wow, so overpowered. However, it has very limited fuel so you can't just fly everywhere without at least landing and refueling. It is slower that the motorcycle and truck. I find myself just relaxing every once in a while and just flying around checking new areas of the map. I would suspect the size of the map will make a large difference in the desire/need for a vehicle. I am currently hosting our server using a 10K map. That would be...NOT fun without vehicles. Waaay too long to run across the map. The concept of having a zombie infestation and ignoring vehicles if that was the case would simply not happen. Of course people would be scavenging vehicles and utilizing transportation. There are many liberties that you can choose to do in the game and things that people can choose to take advantage of (ex. Hatch elevator, using two handed weapons/tools on a ladder, hanging out at bedrock, looking up a few "bulletproof" horde night bases, driving all night on horde night (done that myself once), and a myriad of other things that you COULD choose to do. Let your own immersion be your guide. I focus on my making my primary base look cool and have a separate horde night base that I go to so they don't damage my primary base. My son likes to go into Admin mode and build giant creations. I have a group that built an entire western town with "strict rules" of using only wood and having jobs with an economy while I choose to build in the forest biome with a three story mansion complete with solar, defenses, etc.

The goal of the game is to have flexibility to play the way YOU want. To level up the way YOU want. To build, loot, explore, or just build a simple bunker.

Don't want vehicles on your server? Edit the XMLs and simply don't allow them. I have tweaked our XMLs to allow for more ammo to be found when looting so people don't have to mine as much for ingredients to make their own. We have more wildlife running around, slightly less irradiated zombies, more zombies per person that trickle in more regularly on horde nights, and only jog at night instead of run.

However, unless a magical EMP wave spreads through the map during horde night, I see no way to fix this problem.

That EMP wave had better knock out the Logout Button, Coffee, the Blood Moon Frequency settings option and XML editing to, if it's really going to stop people skipping the Horde.

Fact is, there's nothing that can be done - in any practical sense - to stop a player skipping the Horde.

Therefore, it remains incumbent on the player, to face the Horde, if they choose to do so.

Bloodmoons weren't always in the game - they're not meant to be the main survival goal. You can just turn them off. And what is the goal of a survival game? Everyone has their own answer, up until the player gets bored and quits playing for awhile, maybe to restart anew sometime later.

But don't vehicles trivialize the game?

Correct me if I'm wrong but can't you simply outrun the duration of a bloodmoon on a motorcycle? I feel like every blood moon/horde is easily trivialized by motorcycles/vehicles in general.

The aim of the game is to survive, and if this the best way to survive a bloodmoon it seems almost stupid to not do it. Me and some friends are at day 30 on a 3 day bloodmoon cycle and the last bloodmoon completely destroyed our base (to the point of making me want to restart due to feeling like I squandered my time), but whats the point of doing that if I can simply hop on my bike and not need to ever worry about making a base?

I don't think of vehicles trivializing the bloodmoon hordes. I see it more as another option in dealing with it. Put it this way, as you said, the ultimate goal is to survive. And if that means hopping on a motorcycle and cruising around through the night to dodge Zombies, I'd think we'd all do that. If our base gets overrun, the first thing we'd do is to run away, not just wait there and let the Zeds eat us.

Your reasoning is that your base was overrun and destroyed and that rather then let your base get overrun, you'd just hop on your bike and make a run for it. So you think that vehicles trivialize the whole experience. It doesn't really seem to make much sense. You build a base to defend from. But because its not strong enough, rather than improve it, you'd rather just protect the base by making a run for it.

The fact is, bases can be made to withstand the bloodmoon horde. There's like a whole bunch of youtube videos made by streamers doing so. Players here have done it. It just depends on how you build your base.

I mean the point of the game is survival... If something is so easily done to complete the objective I kinda feel like the game has failed.

Survival only means continuing your existence. You can also continue your existence by avoiding danger. Actually it is even the best way to survive by avoiding danger and not seeking it.

I just completed a level 5 clear quest in an apartment building. I don't know how many zombies I've killed, but I think it was about 100.

No mentally normal person would fight 100 zombies just armed with a club with a few nails in it. He would avoid this building. That would be survival. But as a game it would be boring. So there's more to the game than just surviving.

Every game has as its main purpose that it should be fun for the player. If a player doesn't enjoy the horde, don't force him to. There are players who deactivate the zombies completely because they don't enjoy fighting. Why blame them ? They have their fun, you have your fun and I have my fun. So everyone can enjoy their game independently.

It's not about NOT wanting to deal with them, it's about vehicles being the BEST way to deal with them, to the point of breaking the game.

Is it the best way to deal with then? Depends on what you want from the game. If you want to survive at all costs as easily as possible then yea maybe it is.

But I dont think that's why most people play or are looking for from the game. I think we are all here for fun right? If it's not fun, dont do it. I'd rather run away on foot during a base breach than ride away in a bike. More fun more excitement.

People still do that instead of just turning the blood moon off in the options? Why?

There are several possible explanations.

On a server you can't deactivate the blood moon if you don't run the server. You can log out before the horde but if no other player is logged in the time does not continue.

It may also be that the player doesn't know at all that you can deactivate the blood moon. The option was introduced with 17.2 as far as I know and not all players always read the release notes.

And it can also be that the player only wants to skip one horde but then do the next one. At the moment the game reacts a bit strange when you change the blood moon settings. Then the days when the horde comes can shift.

That EMP wave had better knock out the Logout Button, Coffee, the Blood Moon Frequency settings option and XML editing to, if it's really going to stop people skipping the Horde.

Got to find a way to prevent people from going to the toilet during the horde night!

@the OP: Agree that vehicles trivialize the game in their current state, since there is no risk involved and the player has abundant gas.

Is it the best way to deal with then? Depends on what you want from the game. If you want to survive at all costs as easily as possible then yea maybe it is.

But I dont think that's why most people play or are looking for from the game. I think we are all here for fun right? If it's not fun, dont do it. I'd rather run away on foot during a base breach than ride away in a bike. More fun more excitement.

Fun means nothing without the proper context (e.g. x is fun for me), because fun can be everything. Obviously people may want different things out of the game and obviously there are many which consider surviving = fun - it is one of the game's advertised features after all.

Got to find a way to prevent people from going to the toilet during the horde night!

Well, that would require closing off another...err, opening that would allow players to avoid the Horde.

Fun means nothing without the proper context (e.g. x is fun for me), because fun can be everything. Obviously people may want different things out of the game and obviously there are many which consider surviving = fun - it is one of the game's advertised features after all.

Which is why I hope the Pimps don't even bother trying to stop people avoiding the Horde, I mean, quite apart from the impossibility of their succeeding anyway, why try? After all, if a player wants to skip the Horde, then more power to 'em. It only affects them.

Archived