Can we please stop with zombies knowing about traps?

Scyris

while i see the aggravating point... i also appreciate that they are making me think of different ways to kill them.

i will give you a small hint and its already been said in a18 thread... zombies when damaged will surge forward (so-to-speak) or lunge forward (however you want to say it). so laying down those traps to slow them down.... well... that will probably spell trouble if you do not have room to elude them or a weapon.

everyone plays different and not criticizing here... but i myself do not want them following a path like corralled cattle to a slaughter. i prefer the OS moment while running to stay alive and we will have to rethink our strategies (again) :)

so keep your head up and i hope a18 will be a different treat for players. :) just remember - damage can be fatal - so kill fast!

*snip*

But the problem is, that they are TOO avoiding. So now you can simply put spikes around the house except for one entrypoint and they will get funneled... which is the same, just more illigical and easier to manipulate (since they DONT avoid bladetraps and electric fences!)

It is frustrating, but I think it is reasonable that zombies avoid spikes.

Instead of repeating my thoughts...

I actually think that they should not avoid traps with the exception of the spikes because of how large and visible they are. If those spikes were blocks, which visually they essentially are, the zombies would likely walk around. If they have enough sense not to walk right into trees or walls, they should not walk into a spike trap. Exceptions should be, and are, that they will walk over them or walk into them if they need to make an open path.

However, I do think that zombie movements need some adjustments that would make the spikes more effective.

For one, zombies should bump each other more when close together. This way you could make narrow spike paths to disperse groups. They would bump each other into spikes. (they do this a little right now, but not as much as they should)

Second, zombies that run should have some momentum in the direction they are running. If they are running and need to turn to their left, momentum should bring them to their right some... and vice versa... with the amount of drift depending on run speed. Placing spikes strategically where running zombies are likely to be carried into would give an extra element of having to think about placement.

So, I am hoping the lunging zombie attacks will cause more "accidents" for the zombies and the spikes.

One of the funniest things i noticed at the beginning of A17 is when you make a 1 block deep ditch around the house and fill it with spikes, wandering hordes will "wander" through the ditch, many of them dying on the way. Dunno if it is still plausible.

One of the funniest things i noticed at the beginning of A17 is when you make a 1 block deep ditch around the house and fill it with spikes, wandering hordes will "wander" through the ditch, many of them dying on the way. Dunno if it is still plausible.

I'm trying to dig at my current base with a 4 block deep with spikes. I hope the zombies will run around the trench so I don't have to repair the spikes all the time.

I'm trying to dig at my current base with a 4 block deep with spikes. I hope the zombies will run around the trench so I don't have to repair the spikes all the time.

I did that once, but won't do it again. If they break downwards enough, then you end up with them not being able to get out, so they start digging at the wall and it's a mess to repair. (especially if it's more than 2 blocks down because you can't easily get to the holes) What I do now is dig one down and place spikes and either place more spikes on top or barbed wire.

I did that once, but won't do it again. If they break downwards enough, then you end up with them not being able to get out, so they start digging at the wall and it's a mess to repair. (especially if it's more than 2 blocks down because you can't easily get to the holes) What I do now is dig one down and place spikes and either place more spikes on top or barbed wire.

I've got several ways for the zombies to get out of the trench. Even if all spikes are broken, the zombies shouldn't do any damage.

But the problem is, that they are TOO avoiding. So now you can simply put spikes around the house except for one entrypoint and they will get funneled... which is the same, just more illigical and easier to manipulate (since they DONT avoid bladetraps and electric fences!)

You can always keep spike on your toolbelt and toss them right under the zed's feet, leaving them no way to move around them, takes some practice but easily doable.

if I were to cheese the A.I. and kite them on hordenight, sure.

But I like the base building/defending part of 7d2d. So that isnt really an issue ^^

Base building for me is extremely boring for single player/PVE as within an irl day I'm already where I need to be and don't have any need to do anything else but expand, except, I cannot expand anymore since the 1 claim block mechanic was made live, which was a serious game killer for me, a LOT of very good players stopped playing when that went live, dumbest thing TFP ever did.

So yea, I just get bored, there is nothing to work towards, except grinding for better gear, which I don't even need since nothing challenges me enough for it anyway (On hardest difficulty mind you)

Archived