Hopes and Worries about the Telltale Closure and Future of Console Edition

Roland

No, I actually hate that feature. It doesn't show the section the posts are in when they have similar names.

I just browse manually through all the new posts. They are pretty easily identified with the forum navigation.

Ah right, probably the fire vs. no fire icon. Different method, same result. Do you have some rules as a moderator about checking new posts, or a set partitioning among moderators? Or just some informal agreement who watches what?

Ah right, probably the fire vs. no fire icon. Different method, same result. Do you have some rules as a moderator about checking new posts, or a set partitioning among moderators? Or just some informal agreement who watches what?

No rules really outside of enforcing the forum rules. The only "set partitioning" we really have is that xyth focuses more on the modding section. We all pretty much watch everything though. Each of us has different schedules. (not assigned, it's just life around the globe)

Most forum moderation is rather informal, and we police each other.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been checking the forums for new news every month or so, and hadn't even heard that some other company had necroed Telltale back into existence until this morning. At first I was actually excited about this, but after looking at the new Telltale website, it clearly states that they "do not currently have any rights to sell, distribute, or support 7 Days to Die". That leaves me with a few questions. Why would they use the word "currently"? Are they planning on trying to obtain those rights? What will they actually do with them if they do get them? Can we really trust them to handle the game again? If they aren't the supposed "mystery buyer" we had seen spoken about previously in the forums, then who is? If they don't have the right to sell, where is any money from any new sales currently going? I feel like I'm more befuddled by the whole situation now than I even was before, lol.

Your guess is as good as anyone's at this point.

But with zero word from anyone, I won't hold my breath that anything will ever continue forward with the game on console.

I won't say it's impossible, but from TFP, new Telltale, to Iron Galaxy, not a single word has been given. Even if it was just to say they were working toward it, or something to signify the game on console wasn't just tossed away would've been appreciated by everyone.

But this lack of response and level of silence has undoubtedly damaged the player base on console.

I personally still play it, love it still. Would've loved to seen just a few more things that A16 offered to be added into console version and I wouldn't have cared after that, but now?

I'll place my vision toward PC. It's a shame, but any further hope is energy wasted in my opinion.

I do not think I am the only one who would be supporting the idea of a paid update sold as a DLC on console to put us to A17 or close to whatever stable version is out there. Call the product what you want and polish the art a bit and slap a 30 to 40$ and people will buy it I am pretty sure. You could slap all the character individual packs in it as an incentive too. The game is good and it made a bundle on console. Your call.

I do not think I am the only one who would be supporting the idea of a paid update sold as a DLC on console to put us to A17 or close to whatever stable version is out there. Call the product what you want and polish the art a bit and slap a 30 to 40$ and people will buy it I am pretty sure. You could slap all the character individual packs in it as an incentive too. The game is good and it made a bundle on console. Your call.

Not at all something that should happen. We already bought the game broken and had little to no support that passed 2 years. Nobody should invest another dime in this game until we get the upgrade from over a year ago to at least make it playable. Honestly at this point i dont even know how the game is still being sold.

great pep talk. thanks. needed that.

I think we all know it is dead. Unfortunately we are just waiting for this major legal battle to end to get the same statement from TFP. The pep talk was when TFP said they were going to try to get the rights back to support console players. When support was changed to aid console players. I think that would have been the time to come clean that the update isn’t happening. Of course in another month we will hit the 1 year anniversary of the Tell Tale Update post in News and Announcments, and sadly nothing has changed since we haven’t heard from TFP, except the “legal issues” and buy a PC version blip in the Alpha 18 video for PC.

I agree with Maughamanorama it is dead but TFP haven’t acknowledged that yet.

8-2-19 RIP.

the new Telltale website, it clearly states that they "do not currently have any rights to sell, distribute, or support 7 Days to Die".

To me this wording is very specific. Based on some of the rumors and speculation, I think that statement supports the theory that TFP did not succesfully purchase the console code during the auction.

It's very possible that these new owners still retain the rights to the 7D2D console code, but can't do anything with it because TFP yanked back the "rights to sell, distribute, or support 7 Days to Die" after the TTG collapse. Which I'm sure was done on TFP's part due to some breach of contract clause and probably because TTG was broke and stop paying royalties owed to TFP.

If all of that is more or less true then it really is a legal mess now. Especially if TFP has lost interest and/or faith in continued console support going forward. Or the new TTG as stated isn't interested in anything but story driven adventure type games. Although that would be odd since 7D2D was actually one of old TTG's better performers in sales. Very few titles actually made money for them; Walking Dead Season 1, Minecraft Story Mode, and 7 Days to Die were about all from what I understood.

Either way. 7 Days to Die is definitely dead on consoles. At least for this generation. Maybe in a few years we might see a new release launch on PS5 and Xbox Scarlet.

I mean does anyone seriously expect any new updates, patches, or content before Fall of 2020? In one year the new Gen hits, no one is going to start a new development project this late for the current Gen. And yes resurrecting even an existing game like 7D2D would probably be just as much work as starting a new game would be. Except with a much lower chance for a return on investment. Most people who were going to buy the game already did.

What about paid DLC? That would help financially speaking a little bit but not much. Even in a very active game the player retention after 12 months is very low and this game is more than few years old. Furthermore the DLC purchase rate even among current players for any game is low. So fractions upon fractions of total lifetime buying players MIGHT buy a DLC. So it just isn't happening guys. 7D2D console is done.

Link to the Telltale FAQ with the 7D2D statement:

https://www.telltale.com/player-support/

• 2 weeks later...
Game is long dead on console get over it and play something else

Nope, I don't think I will "play something else", as you so rudely stated. Don't get me wrong, I own a ton of other games, but when I get the hankering for some good old fashioned zombie slaying, this is the only title that does it for me. Since I can't play on PC, because my PC is older and can't handle the game in its current state, my only option is console, which I still play to this day, despite it's buggy, laggy, glitchy performance. As such, I hold out hope, however slim, that one day, console players may see the long awaited update we very much deserve. I don't care about graphical updates, or catching up with PC (that'll never happen, even if console does start getting updates again), or new items/enemies/locations. Those would just be proverbial icing. I just want bug fixes. I am also well aware that, in all likelyhood, the console version is dead, I didn't need you douching that out for me. That doesn't prevent me from retaining that small sliver of hope, which I will continue to hold on to until I get formal word from the devs themselves that it's over, at which time I will continue just as I have been, playing the game regardless, and without complaint, because, despite its many flaws, it's still an amazing game.

I don't care about graphical updates, or catching up with PC (that'll never happen, even if console does start getting updates again), or new items/enemies/locations.

Well (if) the game makes it to the next gen console some how regardless if this mess finally gets worked out or they can do something else for the next console then it could be up to date with PC. The next gen consoles should be above the minimum requirements in specs to run the game. So guess we will see how things go and what happens. But hopefully at the least if this stuff doesn't get worked out they can call console part 2 or something as it would be the same game but different game at the same time. Idk anyway besides the point, just sayin next gen can be up to date if it happens so don't ever say never :)

PS5 is predicted to release by the end of next year. Xbox, not entirely sure, but I would assume it'll be around the same time frame.

In all honesty, at this point in time, with still no word on the current state of affairs, I wouldn't hold my breath. Perhaps with the next Gen consoles, but even then, that's over a year away.

It would've been great to have heard something by now. Even better would've been the update Iron Galaxy was working on. I had hoped to have seen the new POI's, additional zombie skins, the Navezgane update, and mostly the painting system. But, sigh...

But to say the game is dead? No, that's just those who are jealous over the PC version. Console wasn't released as being in Alpha, so by all rights, they never had to give updates if they didn't want to. Want the current version and be like PC? Then they need to buy a PC...

The game is far from dead in my opinion. It's still an amazing game, and I'm constantly exploring and having fun grinding for materials as I seek out my next build. While I am eventually going to upgrade to a PC, I can't help but treasure my PS4 copy. Especially considering how they've changed various aspects that I have no excitement for. In fact, if we could've gotten all of A16 and it ended there, we wouldn't have needed anything else, and we may have had the best version to be honest compared to the crap they've altered in A18. Unless you want to play a looter/shooter...

PS5 is predicted to release by the end of next year. Xbox, not entirely sure, but I would assume it'll be around the same time frame.

In all honesty, at this point in time, with still no word on the current state of affairs, I wouldn't hold my breath. Perhaps with the next Gen consoles, but even then, that's over a year away.

It would've been great to have heard something by now. Even better would've been the update Iron Galaxy was working on. I had hoped to have seen the new POI's, additional zombie skins, the Navezgane update, and mostly the painting system. But, sigh...

But to say the game is dead? No, that's just those who are jealous over the PC version. Console wasn't released as being in Alpha, so by all rights, they never had to give updates if they didn't want to. Want the current version and be like PC? Then they need to buy a PC...

The game is far from dead in my opinion. It's still an amazing game, and I'm constantly exploring and having fun grinding for materials as I seek out my next build. While I am eventually going to upgrade to a PC, I can't help but treasure my PS4 copy. Especially considering how they've changed various aspects that I have no excitement for. In fact, if we could've gotten all of A16 and it ended there, we wouldn't have needed anything else, and we may have had the best version to be honest compared to the crap they've altered in A18. Unless you want to play a looter/shooter...

One year away isn't that long. By then the game will be around beta or pretty close to it. So would kinda work out if they can and able to release it on next gen. I like the console version for what it is right now but I would be lieing sayin that A16 on PC is better then A18. It still needs a little work be A18 for me is the best fun I have had in a long time and we do a little of everything and get XP for it so not sure how it is just for looter/shooter. Granted it does have a lot to do with the two but during alpha we the players are not seeing the road map to how this all gets put into place for the bigger picture such as bandits and the story mode being put into it. Anyway this is console so don't wanna go into it that much here as it is kinda pointless at the moment. Just sayin it is more then just looting and shooting imo.

Your right we were sold a "complete" out of date version which wasn't disclosed when the game was launched. Had TT, IG or FP made the disclaimer consol would be versions behind with little to no support nobody would have bought it. Of course all the money from consol benefited all those on pc so its no wonder pc players dont understand the issue.

Your right we were sold a "complete" out of date version which wasn't disclosed when the game was launched. Had TT, IG or FP made the disclaimer consol would be versions behind with little to no support nobody would have bought it. Of course all the money from consol benefited all those on pc so its no wonder pc players dont understand the issue.

It was never hidden that the console version was made from the Alpha 14.7 version of the game, or that it may not get any future updates or content.

Most of the money from the console version went to TellTale. It did not go to the PC, or have any significant benefit to the PC version.

I seriously don't know where you guys come up with this kind of ♥♥♥♥.

Maybe if you did some research before making a purchase like any smart consumer would, you wouldn't be making blatantly ignorant statements.

One year away isn't that long. By then the game will be around beta or pretty close to it. So would kinda work out if they can and able to release it on next gen. I like the console version for what it is right now but I would be lieing sayin that A16 on PC is better then A18. It still needs a little work be A18 for me is the best fun I have had in a long time and we do a little of everything and get XP for it so not sure how it is just for looter/shooter. Granted it does have a lot to do with the two but during alpha we the players are not seeing the road map to how this all gets put into place for the bigger picture such as bandits and the story mode being put into it. Anyway this is console so don't wanna go into it that much here as it is kinda pointless at the moment. Just sayin it is more then just looting and shooting imo.

From what I've seen so far, crafting has taken a step backwards (in tool/weapon aspect). What I mean by that is the fact looting often grants far superior results and the only way to get T6 is only through looting, which is disappointing imo, especially when people are finding T6 "endgame" tools/weapons within the 1st few days. So I'm hoping they rebalanced it better, cause crafting/building is a major appeal for many more than just me lol. But that's kinda why I'll define it as a looter/shooter mentality in a sense.

Don't get me wrong, when I finally get to upgrade, we'll let's be honest, it'll be like A20 by then at this rate lol, I'm sure I'll think much more differently.

https://7daystodie.com/console-news/

Official console news, finally. All I have to say is.... ouch. But at least now we know. There will be a future for the console version, just not like many of us were hoping for. Regardless, I'm happy with some answers. I'll continue to play, as I have stated, until such a time comes that the game is updated or re-released. Thank you TFP, sincerely.

https://7daystodie.com/console-news/

Official console news, finally. All I have to say is.... ouch. But at least now we know. There will be a future for the console version, just not like many of us were hoping for. Regardless, I'm happy with some answers. I'll continue to play, as I have stated, until such a time comes that the game is updated or re-released. Thank you TFP, sincerely.

If indeed true, yeah, seeing any future update would still be up for debate sadly.

That makes me wonder if they've talked with Iron Galaxy any then. As they were in the development of our updates, and I would think they still have their work saved. It would be the more logical choice to get an update to console. Unfortunately, this also is a problem since nobody wants to work for free. And I can completely understand that.

If TFP would offer an update as a DLC, how many console users would actually be opposed to it? This would also depend in what the DLC would consist of obviously. Cause while I really would like the POI's and Painting system (basically A16 with the possibility of vehicles for fun for ppl), there are other things to focus on, like Xbox users with that bs MD5 error they experience, to stability issues (like how my game would crash because I used too many modern lights), and much more.

Sadly, I can see it waiting as we've mentioned before when it came to the next Gen consoles though. Though both consoles will be backward compatible, the question then would be whether TFP's would rather simply look into updating this version, or simply release an entirely new version in a year or so down the road.

I know I would personally support it even if I had to offer some money in return. This is still easily one of my most favorite games I've ever played. Hell, I started back in August after taking a good break from the game and haven't stopped since for any other game lol.

Wait, so you guys just don't even really care about the current supposed 10k players that still play? You really only want to so anything with the game if it can get you more money? Small-ish development studios like Studio Wildcard, Bohemia Interactive, and Beam.NG team, whose player numbers have gone down in recent years, have all either ported their games to consoles, or continued support way beyond after the game is considered dead, player base wise.

The newer versions are more optimized than the older ones obviously, but apparently they just won't run on consoles, which seemed to do OK with Alpha 15.

Also how would a console port, if done properly, equate to several millions lost? The game runs on unity, and so long as you aren't trying to get a massive developer / publisher like Microsoft, Sony, Valve, or Activision to pick the game up, I cannot fathom that it would cost several million dollars. As it seems to me, your post about the future of consoles just seems like you're throwing out every excuse imaginable to get console players off your backs. Why can't you consult Iron Galaxy to develop it, since they were doing it anyways? All Telltale seemed to do was publish it anyways.

I'd rather to just have some solid news instead of another 11 months of silence for half of a months worth of progress.

Like I said they probably be better off waiting till next gen. It would put them closer to beta/gold and as they said if they do anything it will most likely be after that. The next gen console will be able to handle the game as it will have the minimum specs or should anyway based on the way they have talked about it plus by then the game will be running even smoother. I know I know it sucks for current gen but sometimes times it is what it is. At least now we don't have anymore speculations.

From what I've seen so far, crafting has taken a step backwards (in tool/weapon aspect). What I mean by that is the fact looting often grants far superior results and the only way to get T6 is only through looting, which is disappointing imo, especially when people are finding T6 "endgame" tools/weapons within the 1st few days. So I'm hoping they rebalanced it better, cause crafting/building is a major appeal for many more than just me lol. But that's kinda why I'll define it as a looter/shooter mentality in a sense.

Don't get me wrong, when I finally get to upgrade, we'll let's be honest, it'll be like A20 by then at this rate lol, I'm sure I'll think much more differently.

It is still alpha and not only that experimental not stable not that it matters really because it is still alpha. Anyway yes balancing still needs to be done in a few things not just crafting and looting. But for me it isn't about not being able to craft top end things as I don't feel we need to be able to. We barely have electricity and proper equipment to make such tools. Sure we can make them but we are using scrap stuff to do so. So in my opinion you have to have some reasons to loot. You can survive on T4 items if you wish so really no need for T6. T6 is like legendary item on my eyes. Them spawning in the first week is a issue but again experimental so some balancing needs to be addressed. Anyway the game feels good in A18 minuse the few things that need balancing and needs the A19 to make some things feel more right. But you get a pretty good amount of XP for everything again. I level up while mining, I just leveled up while crafting, while killing, cooking which is technically crafting in game mechanic wise but still, XP from quest and lots of it. Ieveled up doin a quest that I had to dig up buried treasure and another level fetching items and hardly had to kill anything. So just sayin yes it still needs some work but the game to me is in the best place I have seen it in the years I have been playing it. But everyone likes different things so just my opinion of course.

Well looks like the update can now craft T6 there is that. Like I said experimental lol.

Yeah, experimental is just that. And there's still much they'll add or subtract along the way.

I seen where they changed crafting lol. I don't know, perhaps if they included actual legendary items, then I could see having to search for them in the world. As for crafting, I've always felt if I've busted my butt grinding to reach the pinnacle of a skill set, I should earn the right in a sense to craft the highest quality tool (unless they make a legendary version that'd be higher, then I'll gladly accept that item being higher and having to find it.)

But yes, we all have different opinions on many things, but we all do share the passion for the game and want to see it succeed. I'm just really hoping at the end, they give us the ability to toggle many aspects to alter the play style how we each like it. Be it the running options, to turning on or off the digging for example, (even the bandits when they finally arrive in the game). I still believe if a game would give us that kind of freedom, who knows just how insanely popular it could actually become.

As for the console news, it can be disappointing, but it hasn't affected my desire to play the game. Im still pretty happy with the version I play now, though it's no lie that I would've been perfectly happy if we had stopped with the full A16 upgrades at the least.

Time will tell what happens from here on out, but by then, I may be on PC so it might not matter for me, but I'd still like to see it succeed on console whether I leave it behind or not. Game is just to much fun to die off.

Time will tell what happens from here on out, but by then, I may be on PC so it might not matter for me, but I'd still like to see it succeed on console whether I leave it behind or not. Game is just to much fun to die off.

Well if they do wait till they go gold on the PC version and do something on next gen console I will probably get it. I enjoy playing comfortable laying down after working. Only time will tell so will just enjoy what it is or other games for now and see what comes from it.

Archived