Seeds and Farming

Epicurius

Just a quick question regarding 17.3 and farming.

I am sure that I am just missing something, but on the wiki, it says that you have to get Living Off the Land perk up to 5 to generate 5 output from farming. I guess I am missing something here. It takes 4 'wild' plants to make one seed. Plant that seed and then you got 5 in your harvest. You need 4 of that harvest to create 1 more seed to plant. This leaves you with 1 usable plant. Which is exactly what you would have had just picking the one plant.

What then is the point?

I am SURE that I am missing something though and someone can correct me.

Thanks in advance.

E

When you harvest the plant remains and begins another growing phase. No need to replace the original plant.

Thank you for the reply. So then am is it correct that the only way to get a positive outcome of farming is to have a 5 in Living off The Land?

Getting enough plants going will take a bit. Harvest, convert, plant.

One you have say 20 plants, and say get 3 back for harvest, that's 60 food, and still 20 plants growing.

If you want to move your plants, say to now separate the types, you can punch the seedlings and get the seed back.

3 or 4 is lots in LotL. 5 would be more for MP and you're the farmer of the group.

Now, if the plant didn't stay, then we'd have howls of outrage of having to have 5 in the perk just to stay ahead.

:)

Getting enough plants going will take a bit. Harvest, convert, plant.

One you have say 20 plants, and say get 3 back for harvest, that's 60 food, and still 20 plants growing.

If you want to move your plants, say to now separate the types, you can punch the seedlings and get the seed back.

3 or 4 is lots in LotL. 5 would be more for MP and you're the farmer of the group.

Now, if the plant didn't stay, then we'd have howls of outrage of having to have 5 in the perk just to stay ahead.

:)

Thanks all for the replies. That was what I was missing is that the plant stays. The last time I farmed in 7DtD, it was in a version that you had to use part of your harvest to create more seeds. Was an a pretty fun system. But with the plant staying in the ground, that should give you a positive output even with a level 1 in the perk. Cool.

A16 harvesting: Ok

A17 harvesting: Overnerfed,requires 3 points in living off the land to have the same spread/gains as in A16.

- - - Updated - - -

A16 harvesting: Ok

A17 harvesting: Overnerfed,requires 2 points in living off the land to have the same crop gain as A16,3 points to have slightly more spread speed than A16. That's not counting the fertilizer in A16...

I wish farming would be something that the player can influence more. At this point it's simply gathering seeds and planting them in a hoed ground. No need of water, fertilizer, no chance of destroying the plant (even when harvesting)... Stressless farming i tell ya...

I agree somewhat to this. I know in the past, Madmole made the comment that he didn't want 7DtD to be a farming simulator and I agree with him. However, I wish that the farming aspect was more involved. I also wish that they didn't put in the existing gardens all through the world. With these gardens that you can harvest, there really is no need for farming. Just explore a little and you are set up for a month or so in game.

I advocated at one time for the destruction of your garden/farms by wondering zeds. The loss of your food input mid to late game would really shake up things. And I like that.

I wish farming would be something that the player can influence more. At this point it's simply gathering seeds and planting them in a hoed ground. No need of water, fertilizer, no chance of destroying the plant (even when harvesting)... Stressless farming i tell ya...

I made a blood-oath to never say this, but.....I think it'd be a good idea to bring back zombie destruction of crops. The only thing I'd ask is that a zombie walking on your crop should have something less than a 100% chance for the crop to be destroyed. 50/50 sounds reasonable.

-Morloc

Stressless farming i tell ya...

If you feel stress when you're gardening, you're doing something wrong. Personally I wouldn't mind if you had to take more care of the garden. I would even enjoy it.

But you shouldn't go so far as to turn the garden into a battlefield because zombies come from everywhere to destroy the plants.

Wait for food spoilage @RipClaw. Then you have to time exactly when to plant, wich seed and how much of them until you are able to store your food for longer. Meh. Then we will have the farming simulator. Ironic, when i think of countless occassions where TFP said they don´t want a farming sim.

Wait for food spoilage @RipClaw. Then you have to time exactly when to plant, wich seed and how much of them until you are able to store your food for longer. Meh. Then we will have the farming simulator. Ironic, when i think of countless occassions where TFP said they don´t want a farming sim.

What makes you think food spoilage will ever come in 7 Days to die?

Currently Madmole rejects the idea of food spoilage in 7 Days to die. The changes known for A18 are that you need 30 nitrate and 5 crops to make one seed.

Zombies should also be able to trample plants. How this will be implemented is still unknown but I suppose that the zombies will not go specifically on the plants but this will happen if e.g. a wandering horde runs on their way through a field.

There are players like Roland and Rest in Pieces who promote this idea but none of them decides what comes into the game or not. Roland is a moderator in the forum but not a developer and Rest in Pieces is like us just a player.

And even if food spoils comes into 7 Days to die that's still no reason for farming to become stressful. On the one hand there will be ways to preserve the food and on the other hand you can make sure that you have enough food if you plan it correctly.

@RipClaw Roland sounded pretty sure it will come in an older topic.

I did because Madmole was singing the praises of food spoilage back when he was playing Ark but it turns out it was a phase he is now over. These days I’m pretty sure it will come via modding or not at all even though Madmole has said maybe they’ll look at it later.

he still thinks he is santa claus and you trust him? :)

Alas, I am now only Santa Clause for my youngest and she’s no doubt pretty suspicious at the age of 10 so very soon I will be Santa Clause for nobody. It’s the end of an era.

Food spoilage would never influence the plants. If food on itself would spoil, plants are in the ground and only that which was harvested could potentially spoil. Sure you could add a timer for a fully grown plant when it can be gathered, after which it withers and dies (or has a chance to regrow per usual). This would also enhance farming and also make far away exploration hard, as the player wouldn't want to stray away from their garden, unless they want it dead.

On the other hand... introduce sprinklers, which would sustain plants in their "harvestable" period indefinitely.

Food spoilage would never influence the plants. If food on itself would spoil, plants are in the ground and only that which was harvested could potentially spoil. Sure you could add a timer for a fully grown plant when it can be gathered, after which it withers and dies (or has a chance to regrow per usual). This would also enhance farming and also make far away exploration hard, as the player wouldn't want to stray away from their garden, unless they want it dead.

On the other hand... introduce sprinklers, which would sustain plants in their "harvestable" period indefinitely.

I can imagine that on a multiplayer server it can lead to problems if the plants were only harvestable for a limited time since the time continues even if you are not logged in. Imagine logging out, logging in the next day and the whole garden is dead.

When you harvest the plant remains and begins another growing phase. No need to replace the original plant.

really which I knew this before I got the harvest 5 perk... but that's really cool they've implemented them as a permanent fixture

Archived