Super relaxed explorer mode?

lyssa22

I know I'm going to get a lot of flak for this, but I'm going to put it out there anyway.

I would LOVE to see a version/option that the zombies don't progress past the starters (no screamers, cops, spiders, etc) and you don't have to have a blood moon night at all. I absolutely LOVE this game. And what I love about it is exploring, crafting, and having some zombies in the way while I do it. Having 6 screamers show up at my base and totally destroying it is really annoying. I get that the premise of the game is based on the blood moons, and this would be quite the deviation from that, but I love everything else about the game and come back to it all the time.

Thank you and keep up the great work!

Learn to mod. That’s what I am doing at the minute. Then you can change all kinds of things to suit your own needs. You could even then upload your mod for others to play and experience

You have to create your own server for that, right? Do you have any "how to" pages you recommend? Thanks!

You have to create your own server for that, right? Do you have any "how to" pages you recommend? Thanks!

Not at all. In fact, you could accomplish pretty much exactly what you want through a single in game option and a single XML edit.

Firstly, in game, you can disable the Blood Moon Horde by setting it's frequency down to zero. (Basic Settings, Blood Moon Frequency "Disabled").

Then, you could effectively disable the new zombies by setting your gamestage progression so low that you never progress to a high enough game stage to see the tougher zombies.

In gamestages.xml:

<gamestages>

<config

daysAliveChangeWhenKilled="2"

scavengerGameDifficultyBonus="0.1"

adventurerGameDifficultyBonus="0.1"

nomadGameDifficultyBonus="0.1"

warriorGameDifficultyBonus="0.1"

survivalistGameDifficultyBonus="0.1"

insaneGameDifficultyBonus="0.1"

startingWeight ="1"

diminishingReturns ="0.2"

/>

And setting that progression that low has no impact on leveling or anything else, JUST getting harder zombies?

Welllllll, I haven't actually played a game like that, so I can't guarantee it doesn't impact anything else, but yeah, it should only affect Zombies, and that includes for example Wandering Hordes as well.

You can check the XML's outside of gamestages.xml and see if they reference "gamestage" at all for example. I just quickly then checked the loot.xml and there were no dependencies on gamestage, so certainly loot would not be affected by having such a low gamestage.

Keep in mind, that eventually, and I do mean after a reeeaaallllllllllyyyyy long time, you'd start to see higher zombies, but you'd basically have to be level 300 and with a "daysalivecount" of some massive figure before that'd happen.

Gamestages also impacts loot tables. You will always stay at trash for loot if the gamestage always remains low.

Better would be to just go to entity_classes and start scrolling through looking at the properties of the basic zombies and the properties of the feral and radiated zombies. You'll find numbers and values you can tweak on the ferals and radiated to make them more like normals.

Gamestages also impacts loot tables. You will always stay at trash for loot if the gamestage always remains low.

Better would be to just go to entity_classes and start scrolling through looking at the properties of the basic zombies and the properties of the feral and radiated zombies. You'll find numbers and values you can tweak on the ferals and radiated to make them more like normals.

I was about to say the same thing.

An option might be to look at the zombie groups in entitygroups.xml, or even make your own. Assign just gamestage 1 to it along with only the zombie types you want... then reference it in each spawner in spawning.xml, so you get the same in POIs, biomes, wandering hordes, etc. This would be a lot of edits though. They aren't hard... just a lot. Some spawns have tons of listings organized by gamestage. You could just set that group to spawn for gamestage 1 and then just comment out all of the other gamestages. This would mean the same zombies all the time no matter what or where.

Also, I am unsure about gamestage affecting screamer spawning at all. You might have to comment out the lines for entityspawner name="Scouts" in spawning.xml

I'm assuming commenting out the lines inside that xml node will stop sscreamers from spawning. If not (perhaps hard code takes over), setting "TotalAlive" and TotalPerWave" to value="0" might do the trick.

By stopping the screamers from spawning, you won't have to worry about the large set of spawns also organized by gamestage that the screamer can summon.

Doing all of this through xpath would be a bit easier as you could delete specific entries from entitygroups.xml. Instead of making hundreds of deletes or updates, just one for each zombie. You would have to check though if it doesn't leave behind empty brackets, so perhaps add some zombies here and there to not spill out errors.

You can turn off run for the zombies so they are far easier. Also push blood moons to every 30 days which gives you more than enough time to prepare a decent base. I personally love playing a more relaxed game. I play primarily SP and don't enjoy spending 80% of my daylight time focusing on base building when I'd rather spend at least 50% on exploration. Turning off run lets you explore at night and not be in so much danger and really frees up base building and resource gathering at night as well.

Thank you, everyone, for the advice and tips! I really appreciate it.

Going through manually and changing values of the special zombies in entity_classes will be a big job but if you are interested in learning how to mod it is a great starting point and good practice to start learning how the xml works. I'm still a beginner myself but it doesn't take long before you start getting familiar with the xml code and then if you watch and read the tutorials on xpath you can start doing some pretty amazing things even as a beginner.

Pretty soon you will start opening the other xml files just to scroll through and see where the different parts of the game are located. Going into recipes and changing some values or ingredients is super easy stuff but also very rewarding to then boot up the game and see your changes in the game world. For example, simply adding "nails" to the frame block recipe can have huge gameplay consequences....

As you make simple edits and get familiar with the xmls your confidence will grow to the point where you will feel up to learning more.

I am in the midst of this mutation myself.

^ I concur with Roland. The xml files are pretty self explanatory once you start messing with them. Don't be afraid to mess with values and see what happens. Just make a fail safe copy of the Config folder in case anything goes awry.

Ahh, good to know. I was almost not going to respond as I was about to head out.

@lyssa22 there is already a mod that removes all threats besides normal zombies: https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?100533-REV6-7-8-s-REALITY-CHECK

It disables all Ferals, Radiated, Screamers, Cops, Vultures, Bears and Wolfs. and the best part? you can chose, which ones you want to stay and which ones should go. then disable bloodmoon via the ingame settings and voilà, you have your relaxed explorer mode :)

Altough, as Roland said, it can be a huge plus, if you learn how to edit the xmls. in the mod i mentioned, the creator of the mod (Rev678 - thank you by the way) replaced all the threats mentioned above with stags. i didn't like that, as there would be stags instead of ferals (e.g. in the skyscrapers) and it looks hilarious. also there would be meat abundance with so much stags. so i replaced all the ferals, radiated, cops etc. with normal versions of zombies.

you can PM me if you want my edits - full credit to Rev678 tough.

PS: @Roland i combined the changes ^ with your 0xp mod and daily bloodmoon! Also i removed the crafting of workstations, so i have to find them or buy at the trader. further i moved all the iron tools to be crafted in the workstation only and removed crafting of qualitylevels 3-5, so i have to find/buy them as well. plus i removed crafting storage containers, so i have to use those of the POIs i live in. makes a nice slow pacing progression so far.

Archived