Trader Finder Quest

Roland

I figured out a great way to do this by appending the White River Settlement quest to all the treasure map quests. The trader quest we all know is actually a quest reward for building your campfire so I simply took it and added it to all the treasure maps and it works like a charm.

It definitely does lead you to a new trader IF that trader happens to be closer to you than one you already know. So it is kind of a luck thing.

What I would like to do is see if there is a way to make it so that already found traders are ignored in the search so that you are guaranteed to find a new trader (if there is one) every single time you find a treasure map. Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

I figured out a great way to do this by appending the White River Settlement quest to all the treasure map quests. The trader quest we all know is actually a quest reward for building your campfire so I simply took it and added it to all the treasure maps and it works like a charm.

It definitely does lead you to a new trader IF that trader happens to be closer to you than one you already know. So it is kind of a luck thing.

What I would like to do is see if there is a way to make it so that already found traders are ignored in the search so that you are guaranteed to find a new trader (if there is one) every single time you find a treasure map. Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

What's the connection between treasure maps and traders though? I mean, when you find a treasure map, how do you associate that with discovering a new trader base? What's the narrative here?

There’s a note with directions in the treasure chest along with the loot. It’s the stash that the person was planning on taking to sell. I could go into localization I guess and add that narrative to the treasure chest note but for now it’s just in my mind.

There’s a note with directions in the treasure chest along with the loot. It’s the stash that the person was planning on taking to sell. I could go into localization I guess and add that narrative to the treasure chest note but for now it’s just in my mind.

Oh, ok that makes sense. Are you planning to create your own treasure map quests too? Because some of the current ones wouldn't fit that narrative as they come with their own, for example the quest from Raphael:

Dear Stranger,

I've got the cold sweats and it won't be long. All I can think of in my final hour is if my son Joey is still alive. I have no reason to trust you but I have no choice. Crazy Jake has kidnapped him. In your hand is a map to one of my many secret supply caches. Promise me if you find it you'll help my son.

I'm counting on you

Raphael

Raphael for one would like his supplies to be used in attempt to find his son Joey, he probably wouldn't want to sell his supplies to trader, so putting a note with the instructions how to get to a trader would most likely break the story.

Nah... just add:

“Crazy Jake is pretty well outfitted so please take what I left and use it to buy what gear you need to rescue my boy. There’s directions to a trader I know about with my stash.”

Most of the treasure chests include gold and silver and money which are ONLY good for using to buy gear at a trader.

Nah... just add:

“Crazy Jake is pretty well outfitted so please take what I left and use it to buy what gear you need to rescue my boy. There’s directions to a trader I know about with my stash.”

Most of the treasure chests include gold and silver and money which are ONLY good for using to buy gear at a trader.

Unless you're using another mod which adds more uses for those materials...

I don't know I think it would be better if you added your own quests instead of editing those few that are already there. It would provide more flexibility for those who don't necessarily want / need to change the base quests and I think more people would prefer additional quests also for more variety.

These would be great points if my question was “How could I go about creating a quest to find a trader?”

That wasn’t the question. I’ve already chosen to modify the treasure quests and in my tests it has been fun for me. Even the way it is now if you get the same trader it gives you a radius of where not to look so maybe it is fine the way it is.

I’m not changing vanilla here—just creating something that can be downloaded optionally. If I made it one independent quest then the chances of it being found are very slim but as part of all the treasure quests you have more opportunities to possibly find a new trader.

Not really looking for a discussion intent upon talking me out of something I’ve already made. Please do make a new quest, man. I’d be glad to download that as well.

Chill out man, it was just a suggestion.

I’m not changing vanilla here

Nah... just add:

As far as I know changes to localization text files must be added manually to the original files, so you actually do change vanilla quests if you're not creating new ones.

But of course, you can do whatever you want.

If this doesn't happen automatically in base game, the only way would most likely be adding that function through SDX. Possibly by going through all trader bases within the area the player's in and checking whether or not they have been discovered and picking the first one that wasn't discovered yet and sending the player there.

I just hope that whoever decides to create such SDX mod will create it with flexibility in mind, for those who are more open to making additions rather than changing what's already there. :)

Chill out man, it was just a suggestion.

Seemed more like you were poking holes but its fine. I'm chill. I'm making what I think is fun and people can partake or not as they will.

As far as I know changes to localization text files must be added manually to the original files, so you actually do change vanilla quests if you're not creating new ones.

But downloading my localization file would be optional so I'm not changing anything for those who don't like the idea of my modified treasure quests. My point was that if you don't like my idea then don't use it. Simple as that.

But of course, you can do whatever you want.

Done.

If this doesn't happen automatically in base game, the only way would most likely be adding that function through SDX. Possibly by going through all trader bases within the area the player's in and checking whether or not they have been discovered and picking the first one that wasn't discovered yet and sending the player there.

Thanks for the on topic response. :)

That is what I suspected so I guess I will leave it as is for now and as I start learning about SDX this summer maybe I will use this as the motivation to learn.

I just hope that whoever decides to create such SDX mod will create it with flexibility in mind, for those who are more open to making additions rather than changing what's already there. :)

I'm open to making new additions but just not in this case. I think that my idea enhances the treasure quests (for me). I've read lots of discussions in the modding forums for years before I ever started trying my hand at it and definitely noticed an elitist attitude by some who don't consider people who just modify existing things to really be in the same class as those who add completely new content. It may be true that there is a difference in skill level and talent but I'm not going to give the time of day to anyone who wants to look down on what I've done simply because it isn't brand new original content. Sorry if that wasn't your intent but all your posts in this thread were basically telling me not to do what I had done instead of suggesting what I might do with what I had already chosen to do and text doesn't always convey intent.

I'm sure someday I'll learn the flexibility I need to have as modder that adds true original content. :)

Seemed more like you were poking holes but its fine. I'm chill. I'm making what I think is fun and people can partake or not as they will.

But downloading my localization file would be optional so I'm not changing anything for those who don't like the idea of my modified treasure quests. My point was that if you don't like my idea then don't use it. Simple as that.

Done.

Thanks for the on topic response. :)

That is what I suspected so I guess I will leave it as is for now and as I start learning about SDX this summer maybe I will use this as the motivation to learn.

I'm open to making new additions but just not in this case. I think that my idea enhances the treasure quests (for me). I've read lots of discussions in the modding forums for years before I ever started trying my hand at it and definitely noticed an elitist attitude by some who don't consider people who just modify existing things to really be in the same class as those who add completely new content. It may be true that there is a difference in skill level and talent but I'm not going to give the time of day to anyone who wants to look down on what I've done simply because it isn't brand new original content. Sorry if that wasn't your intent but all your posts in this thread were basically telling me not to do what I had done instead of suggesting what I might do with what I had already chosen to do and text doesn't always convey intent.

I'm sure someday I'll learn the flexibility I need to have as modder that adds true original content. :)

It certainly wasn't my intention to look down at you in any way. If I did that, that would mean I consider myself being above the others. You can blame me for a lot of things, but this is something that isn't in my nature. I do appreciate modders and I even feel that we need more modders and any kind of toxicity in the modding scene ruins it for all of us.

Personally I do have a lot of small mods installed and I appreciate each and every one of them. They may be small, but together as a collection they create a great gameplay experience. This and that I like your mod idea actually are the reasons why I brought up that perhaps you could make it as additional quests, to enhance the game play rather than change it, and of course the quests would be still optional. But then again, you already said no and I respect that.

It certainly wasn't my intention to look down at you in any way. If I did that, that would mean I consider myself being above the others. You can blame me for a lot of things, but this is something that isn't in my nature. I do appreciate modders and I even feel that we need more modders and any kind of toxicity in the modding scene ruins it for all of us.

Personally I do have a lot of small mods installed and I appreciate each and every one of them. They may be small, but together as a collection they create a great gameplay experience. This and that I like your mod idea actually are the reasons why I brought up that perhaps you could make it as additional quests, to enhance the game play rather than change it, and of course the quests would be still optional. But then again, you already said no and I respect that.

That makes me feel better. Glad you clarified. Sorry that I jumped to a bad conclusion. :)

Archived