Is it me or are dogs now sneak ninja masters with zero movement sounds?

warmer

I have been killed by dogs more often on this last build than previous ones. I have noticed, there appears to only be audible dog snarls and barks, but zero dog movement sounds to indicate something is approaching. Even while running they make zero noise. This is a huge pain in the butt considering how deadly these guys are when they sneak up on you in pairs.

I have been killed by dogs more often on this last build than previous ones. I have noticed, there appears to only be audible dog snarls and barks, but zero dog movement sounds to indicate something is approaching. Even while running they make zero noise. This is a huge pain in the butt considering how deadly these guys are when they sneak up on you in pairs.

has been this way since the implementation of wolves and the following patches reducing sound.

This is sadly something they intend to keep, because "packs do hunt".

But this is one of the few times where i feel gameplay goes over realism, because it adds no counterplay but to regularly look over your own shoulder. Very sad.

*edit* yes I in fact DO mean wandering hordes, as they dont make a noise and are suddenly where you are.

has been this way since the implementation of wolves and the following patches reducing sound.

This is sadly something they intend to keep, because "packs do hunt".

But this is one of the few times where i feel gameplay goes over realism, because it adds no counterplay but to regularly look over your own shoulder. Very sad.

I noticed how much quieter the crackling burnt zombies are now. I have to wonder if they did a global audio range reduction on entities and not just the burnt zombies in the last update. Dogs NEED to make some kind of noise except for snarling or barking when they attack. Running silently through rubble is BS. You notice other zombies movement, so you should notice dogs. Hell you notice Buzzards flapping their wings, but a dog running through gravel and grass is SILENT?!

This is literally the ONLY thing that kills me on a regular basis now. 1 more reason to never set foot in the wasteland I guess.

I understand the silent wolves. That makes a lot more sense. They still have the cognitive reasoning needing to think about sneaking. The concept of sneaking is 100% foreign to a zombie. They hardly have sophisticated motor control, sneaking is hardly possible. I don't mind the dogs running at all times of day, but I seriously think it is immersion breaking having them run through the same brush/grass/gravel you do and make zero noise.

I am currently working on make an audio mod for all entities. The dogs are certainly going to get their own treatment when I'm done. I can understand gameplay reasons to make it more intense and scary, but these are dogs running through a wasteland of rubble. It is literally impossible to run on something like that and not make a significant amount of noise. Sure, sneak in a forest with a soft surface to walk on. No problem there, but over bricks, gravel, and various other broken objects, you are making a ton of noise while you run.

These aren't cats people. These are zombie dogs with a magnified feeding impulse and a significant amount of diminished cognitive reasoning skills.

Haven't encountered dogs in my 17.3 playthrough yet, but I've always loathed the silent dog/wolf packs. They feel like a bad dungeon master having their "gotcha!" moment.

Same goes for sleepers making no sounds at all when they wake up and walk towards you, until they hit you or you engage them. I don't mind having to look over my shoulder every once in a while, but sometimes it feels like I should be spinning in circles constantly to avoid having ninja zombies and dogs gank me.

Haven't encountered dogs in my 17.3 playthrough yet, but I've always loathed the silent dog/wolf packs. They feel like a bad dungeon master having their "gotcha!" moment.

Yeah. It might be realistic, but it doesnt feel fair (gameplay wise) so they should add slight crackling or maybe one howl at the beginning when they spawn or something.

*edit* yes I in fact DO mean wandering hordes, as they dont make a noise and are suddenly where you are.

Wolves usually howl when the player is within a certan distance, but your usually far enough away that they won't attack yet, Listen for the howl, then stop and find that wolf before it finds you. Thats how I deal with wolves myself. As for the zombie dogs, those things have always been damn ninja's for as long as I can remember.

Now if you mean the wandering horde of dogs or wolves, yeah they need to make more noise. Another problem is the background ambient that plays in diffrent biomes, doesn't really seem to have a volume slider for it, Ambient sound, or music does not effect it, only master volume does which makes everything quiet. The game really needs more detailed sound sliders. Its missing player/zombie sound effects, and various other ones most games have. In most biomes this ambient music is so loud it drowns out other sounds which is also part of the problem with the ninja zombies etc.

I am more perplexed about how sounds are not equal between enemies. You can hear most Zs from quite a distance, flapping of vulture wings the same, yet movement of enemies is not heard. Perhaps its the matter of how sounds work in the game.

On the other hand, you'd be surprised how much noise you can make going through the forest. Shrubbery is pretty loud, almost like walking on snow. Sure walking on grass may be silent, but in the wild you rarely walk only on grass. Every movement should be loud.

Just curious what you all actually do when that silent dog suddenly growls right behind you and attacks? I haven’t died to a dog attack for a long time— once I figured out we can outrun them. As soon as the surprise hit comes I run without looking back until my stamina is almost gone. Then I turn to look and I have either lost them or have enough time to shoot them as they catch up.

Are you encumbered? Unencumbered we are faster than dogs.

Just curious what you all actually do when that silent dog suddenly growls right behind you and attacks? I haven’t died to a dog attack for a long time— once I figured out we can outrun them. As soon as the surprise hit comes I run without looking back until my stamina is almost gone. Then I turn to look and I have either lost them or have enough time to shoot them as they catch up.

Not encumbered. Just mostly running into them when I have already been running or just getting out of combat and don't have the stamina to out run them. Then add to that multiples. A single dog is no big deal, two however can be more than you can handle when you are still in fiber armor. Last time I ran into them 3 power hits with a reinforced club on one dog is enough time for them to get you pretty injured.

I can 1 shot deer with bows all day, but zombies dogs take 2-4 hits every time even when sneaking. Head/heartshots on nearly all animals with a bow should be one shot kills.

yeah same here, only time i got scared for a dog attack was when 3 of them was under a three with huge foils right and branches so didnt see and i just run never looked back. i was like wow i lost them? xD

Yeah and different levels of bleed severity are needed. Who bleeds to death in only 5 seconds? That must be some artery that was cut!

And then you are often stunned too, so you can barely even get away. Unless a dog has toppled you over, or is bite locked onto you, this shouldn't be the case! The cheating doggo's spawn less then 50 ft away too, which kinda nullifies all these comments in these threads talking about stealth dogs being realistic or something.

I badly want to do ironman mode, but I really want to see some of these things addressed first.

Like I want it to be hard... really hard... but not because it CHEATS me to death!

YOU CHEATING PIMPS!

YOU CHEAT!

CHEAAAAAAAATAAAAAAAHS!!!!

I have yet to hear a wolf howl. Usually recognize them when they attack me. No howling. Dogs seem to be kinda bugged for me, they do run towards me, but most of the time they somehow get stuck and move very slow without moving their legs. Not in buildings tough, so maybe it´s the uneven ground outside.

But yeah the dogs should make noise. Making this on purpose is a very poor decision. Rather give us more Z´s than using such a cheap way to create an artifical challenge. No matter how you try to sugarcoat this, it will stay a frustrating wtf moment that ruins the mood. Forget about UMA and give us more of them Z´s. Even if they look worse than what we have now. Or remove horde from the subtitle. It´s misleading.

It´s funny how TFP tries to make players not beeing cheap by beeing cheap themself...

How about a compromise?

We keep them ninjas but give zombie dogs 3 legs so they run as fast as we do when we have a sprained leg.

Oh at least let use chop them off like zombies.

I gotta admit, if we could blow their legs off, as sweet revenge I would snipe off both back legs then let it drag it's nutz on the pavement for a while until I got bored then I would let it get close and smash it's head into the pavement with a sledgehammer.. Oh yessss.. sweet sweet REVENGE Muhahahhahaaaa <choke. <cough>..

I gotta admit, if we could blow their legs off, as sweet revenge I would snipe off both back legs then let it drag it's nutz on the pavement for a while until I got bored then I would let it get close and smash it's head into the pavement with a sledgehammer.. Oh yessss.. sweet sweet REVENGE Muhahahhahaaaa <choke. <cough>..

I like the way you think ;)

Archived