Git Gud

I have an issue with this comment.

When people come to this forum and complain ,are frustrated with the game ,and potentially their lack of abilities at playing this game and are asking for help ,directly or indirectly, and we respond with "git gud" or tell them they're playing "wrong" it's very trollish behaviour and it's purposely insulting.

I cringe every time I see people do this and lately it's even being done by moderators. This only leads to a toxic environment and frustrates players even more. This forum currently is about as toxic as it gets and people are making more and more aggressive posts because they're fed up . Sometimes we need to take a step back and think about things from someone elses perspective rather than trying to force feed people your opinion.

100% agreed. While I don't see any of this in the topics I usually post in cuz I avoid the general sections of the forums, if this is what's going on here, then I do think that kind of "Git Gud" attitude needs to stay out of the forums as like you said, it's insulting and it only leads to a toxic environment which isn't something this forum needs.

Don't post here much due to lack of replayability in this alpha (imo).

Warranted saying that you are 100% correct in my opinion. When I was playing, my group wouldn't even come to the forums for questions. They would ask me. They hated the toxicity and condescending nature of the forums. I'm an a$$, so it didn't really bother me lol.

I have an issue with this comment.

When people come to this forum and complain ,are frustrated with the game ,and potentially their lack of abilities at playing this game and are asking for help ,directly or indirectly, and we respond with "git gud" or tell them they're playing "wrong" it's very trollish behaviour and it's purposely insulting.

I cringe every time I see people do this and lately it's even being done by moderators. This only leads to a toxic environment and frustrates players even more. This forum currently is about as toxic as it gets and people are making more and more aggressive posts because they're fed up . Sometimes we need to take a step back and think about things from someone elses perspective rather than trying to force feed people your opinion.

I have to agree with a few points.

Yes, this community among many other Gaming Communities like to throw out the "git gud" comment.

Reminds me of the old days on Xbox360 when everybody used to call you a Scrub and say "git gud"

The second point I agree on is the fact that moderators are also using this term and throwing it out there.

TBH, I have seen quite a few things Moderators have said that have made me say "is that person REALLY a moderator for this forum? And how are they being allowed to say things like this"

TBH, this community is VERY close, and especially when you get to the Forums, theres a club of usual members who whore the forums, day in day out. Which isn't a bad thing don't get me wrong, but this closeness has also made the moderators and TFP staff feel closer with the players than any other Dev team and or Forum mod team, so I feel the barrier of "what is and should be acceptably said" is broken.

I sometimes am baffled to see the things said by some mods and TFP. Things said in an obviously snarky tone, or out of anger and defense (although tone and attitude are hard to gauge over text)

This gaming community is small, so to see each other say rude things and drop random rude comments then leave is stupid. You're only hurting your own gaming community, a community in which im assuming everybody here is passionate about in some way or another. So treat them badly, throw an insulting and blanket comment, how is that helping your own community?

We don't go to our neighbors house and yell "get more money" if they are griping to you about having financial troubles.

Eh, most of the time it's not purposefully insulting and one definitely shouldn't get offended by it but I agree that it is dismissive and unproductive and should come with gameplay advice that will actually help the other player, if that's what the issue is.

As for the forum being toxic... whaaat? - this is one of the least toxic places I know of.

As for the forum being toxic... whaaat? - this is one of the least toxic places I know of.

This place was toxic AF at the drop of A17e. Like 4 different camps of people raging at each other constantly. Many people against the moderators. Moderators appearing to be condescending to those that don't like the direction. That was ♥♥♥♥♥ show lol. That is what my post was referring to.

Eh, most of the time it's not purposefully insulting and one definitely shouldn't get offended by it but I agree that it is dismissive and unproductive and should come with gameplay advice that will actually help the other player, if that's what the issue is.

TBH though, we don't know the posters intention when saying "git gud" he/she could be saying it to be an asshat, or just saying it in a mocking way as to mock those who say git gud in an asshat fashion.

So just not saying things like that would be the best course of action.

I do have to agree, the forums here aren't toxic (thankfully) but i have been seeing more of this trend of "git gud" since A17. Not a good trend to have as that is teetering more on the toxic side of things than not toxic, because for those who do mean it once its said, its pretty much saying without actually saying "you suck at the game maybe? Maybe thats why X is happening that youre complaining about, Git Gud"

I really don't say it often. And if it is truly that offensive then I will stop it altogether.

That being said, I will continue in a more friendly way to help people play the game better when it is warranted. To say that EVERY complaint about the game is ALWAYS the game's design failure and NEVER user error is a ridiculous stance to take. People play wrong at times. It is a fact. It is the truth. Sometimes it is the game's fault as well. Those times should be pointed out too.

So if it really is just the phrase "git gud" that is the whole problem then at least from this moderator you have my apologies and the problem is solved. I won't use it again just as I refrain from using other phrases that I know are personally offensive to others.

However, if the problem is more deeply rooted in the erroneous belief that we can never call someone out on playing the game incorrectly or sub-optimally and that their lack of understanding and/or skill is the reason behind their issues rather than their belief that there is a design flaw then whether we say the G-phrase or not I suspect you will continue to be unhappy because I'm going to continue to call a spade a spade.

This place was toxic AF at the drop of A17e. Like 4 different camps of people raging at each other constantly. Many people against the moderators. Moderators appearing to be condescending to those that don't like the direction. That was ♥♥♥♥♥ show lol. That is what my post was referring to.

True, it did become kind of toxic since A17 was released to the streamers, for a couple of weeks. But it's pretty tame in general.

TBH though, we don't know the posters intention when saying "git gud" he/she could be saying it to be an asshat, or just saying it in a mocking way as to mock those who say git gud in an asshat fashion.

So just not saying things like that would be the best course of action.

I do have to agree, the forums here aren't toxic (thankfully) but i have been seeing more of this trend of "git gud" since A17. Not a good trend to have as that is teetering more on the toxic side of things than not toxic, because for those who do mean it once its said, its pretty much saying without actually saying "you suck at the game maybe? Maybe thats why X is happening that youre complaining about, Git Gud"

Well most of the time you can tell from the context. And it has to have context because by just saying "git gud" it is obvious you don't intend to help anyone. But sometimes it is just being said in jest, usually between members who know each other for a while.

TBH, I have seen quite a few things Moderators have said that have made me say "is that person REALLY a moderator for this forum? And how are they being allowed to say things like this"

Really? Such as? If there are "quite a few" it shouldn't be hard to find such highly abusive posts that that person should not be allowed to moderate.

Hey....maybe it is just the way the forums are designed and not our lack of skill at all. ;)

To put it simply, sometimes the answer IS "Git Gud". We may not want to hear it, or it may not be what we're looking for, but sometimes there's just no strategy, tactic or protips which can be conveyed to help someone. Depending on your preferences, you either play at the default levels and take your lumps until you learn to dish them out, OR you lower the difficulty in various ways and learn the game while gradually bringing the difficulty back up.

That said, there are often things which others can help with. If people seem frustrated with YOU and YOUR problems, perhaps your not giving them all the data (that can be tough when you're frustrated and typing).

If I say I don't think Irradiated Zombie Bikers are fair (and I don't dammit! ;) ) I need to provide more context with my issue, or the best anyone can do is tell me to practice (i.e. get gud) or ask me basic questions about mods and armor. If I say that I only melee (on regular days/nights) then the question is narrowed. If I say I do this on Insane with 25% loot...my issue is made even more concise.

The issues we have.... some are bugs, some are by design, some need re-balancing, some are experiments...oh yeah, did anyone mention that THIS IS ALPHA!?? (lol) NOBODY like to hear that either...but yet...it there it is.

As far as this site goes...it's a little like a quiet Old West town. Don't storm into the saloon with your guns in hand screaming your head off and expect folks to resist the urge for target practice. Come in with a reserved demeanor, and you're guaranteed to find a sympathetic ear and perhaps even a head that's screwed on tight. The mods?....they're like the bartenders in those saloons. Friendly, eager to please, and shotgun at the ready for troublemakers.

Now somebody help me with They Are Billions, because there's a game that's REALLY unfair.

-Morloc

...it's a little like a quiet Old West town. Don't storm into the saloon with your guns in hand screaming your head off and expect folks to resist the urge for target practice. Come in with a reserved demeanor, and you're guaranteed to find a sympathetic ear and perhaps even a head that's screwed on tight. The mods?....they're like the bartenders in those saloons. Friendly, eager to please, and shotgun at the ready for troublemakers.

Great quote about life in general. I'm stealing it, this is mine now lol.

Don't agree that this forum is toxic when compared to other gaming forums.

Do agree that mods are a bit more... relaxed about professional answers. Which does increase the "closeness" or the bond between regular posters and the mods.

But sometimes it also feels very condescending when you either know there to be a problem and it is beeing dismissed as hate or as trolling.

But you can't have one without the other.

Roland has said some things I wholeheartedly disagree with and the way he said it as well.

BUT I think if I had to deal with the s*** flung my way like A17 and the other #gates, I'm not sure I would take everything exactly as professional and perfect. Especially as I don't think he's a full time employee as a mod.

While AAA games pay ppl to keep order in the forums.

TL;DR:

yes sometimes mods on here do stuff you wouldn't expect from official mods. Yes sometimes it feels a bit unprofessional.

But this is a more community based game and not a corporate AAA title with huge media coverage. So this is just a different environment.

My problem is more the unwillingness of the devs themselves to accept that they done f*ed up.

Be it mines in the wasteland, POIs with nonsense traps or or or. They do for smaller, easily fixable stuff like wolvespawns or sleepers, but I wish they would accept that 60% liked means "below average".

BUUUT *closes different can of worms* not here ^^

This meal was a disgrace, this restaurant is a whole health code violation, you should be fired, the restaurant should be burned to the ground and bulldozed into a quarry. May I see the dessert menu?

Really? Such as? If there are "quite a few" it shouldn't be hard to find such highly abusive posts that that person should not be allowed to moderate.

Hey....maybe it is just the way the forums are designed and not our lack of skill at all. ;)

Abuse was never a word used by me nor is it a word that accurately depicts what im trying to say. I do not feel that the mods, or anybody else on the forums are abusive because that is something that is not tolerated here.

Just IMO sometimes things are said with a certain lack of professionalism. Not that that is what this forum or Dev team's intentions are. Just sometimes saying things to the effect of "somtimes git gud comments are warranted" which is something you yourself said, irk me a bit and come off as a non-moderator type thing to say. To me, thats something that a regular member of the community would say in the background like myself, not a mod. But hey, im not the one running the show. Just simply pointing out my opinions.

Ive been a lurker on the forums since it began, so those "quite a few" are over a 4 year span or so. Not worth my time sifting to show you.

Lack of skill was not stated on my end nor was skill brought up in any way. Skill has nothing to do with behavior and or how people conduct their peer to peer interactions.

If anything, Skill has been displayed enough over the years by the Mod team moderating the many hate posts, giant heated debates, trolls and constant barrage of the same questions asked over and over by the community. So I give you a pat on the back for that.

Abuse was never a word used by me nor is it a word that accurately depicts what im trying to say. I do not feel that the mods, or anybody else on the forums are abusive because that is something that is not tolerated here.

Just IMO sometimes things are said with a certain lack of professionalism. Not that that is what this forum or Dev team's intentions are. Just sometimes saying things to the effect of "somtimes git gud comments are warranted" which is something you yourself said, irk me a bit and come off as a non-moderator type thing to say. To me, thats something that a regular member of the community would say in the background like myself, not a mod. But hey, im not the one running the show. Just simply pointing out my opinions.

Okay good. I can completely agree with this. My aim is not to be professional in the same sense that a waiter or hotel manager or perhaps the moderator of a more serious discussion board about health would need to be. This is a forum about a zombie video game and as such I treat it with less gravity and I am also naturally the type to poke fun at sacred cows and ridiculous stances. That is not likely to change unless they let me go because of it.

Lack of skill was not stated on my end nor was skill brought up in any way. Skill has nothing to do with behavior and or how people conduct their peer to peer interactions.

If anything, Skill has been displayed enough over the years by the Mod team moderating the many hate posts, giant heated debates, trolls and constant barrage of the same questions asked over and over by the community. So I give you a pat on the back for that.

See? Now this part was 100% just a joke. I was simply referencing the whole "git gud" issue here and applying it to myself in my moderation. I wasn't seriously calling my own skills into question. That would be preposterous. ;)

this wasnt meant to be a personal attack on you Roland or anyone else...just an awareness post to hopefully keep this place a notch above the garbage you can find elsewhere on the internet with other games

Good to know and yes, a reminder to be kind is always good. As I said, knowing that that phrase is offensive to you and others who +1'ed your OP I will be sure to avoid it in the future--unless I'm poking fun at the phrase itself as I just did in another thread. Couldn't help it, sorry. It's just my nature.

I like that I can call mm lazy, he can talk crap back to me, I can tell Roland he drinks too much kookaid (not correcting that) and he can tell me to get bent, because at the end of the day Roland and I would laugh at it all over beers. Well, he would be drinking an appletini, but whatevs.

I like that I can call mm lazy, he can talk crap back to me, I can tell Roland he drinks too much kookaid (not correcting that) and he can tell me to get bent, because at the end of the day Roland and I would laugh at it all over beers. Well, he would be drinking an appletini, but whatevs.

Appletini? Whoa bud, surely this is BEFORE 9:00PM?

Archived