BSOD every time I try to create a new random map

goatbutter

My system is i7-8700K, GTX 1080, 16 gb DDR4 RAM

Bios version is from Dec 2018

No antivirus, just Windows Defender

Essentially, I always get a BSOD when creating a map. This does not happen with any other games or doing anything else. I have validated game files, removed and reapplied thermal paste to CPU, ran fans at full blast, ran memtest with zero errors, updated all drivers. Here are the last few dumps. Any thoughts?

On Mon 4/29/2019 6:43:45 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported

crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\042919-9046-01.dmp

This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x1AA0A0)

Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFFF71FA4BCF3A0, 0x2, 0xFFFFF802505046AA, 0xC)

Error: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

product: Microsoftآ® Windowsآ® Operating System

company: Microsoft Corporation

description: NT Kernel & System

Bug check description: This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.

This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.

The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Mon 4/29/2019 6:43:45 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported

crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP

This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!MmProbeAndLockPages+0x12E9)

Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFFF71FA4BCF3A0, 0x2, 0xFFFFF802505046AA, 0xC)

Error: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Bug check description: This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.

This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.

The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sun 4/28/2019 11:07:12 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported

crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\042819-6671-01.dmp

Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF803AB8CEB7C, 0xFFFFD508A6216C90, 0x0)

Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.

On Sun 4/28/2019 10:47:25 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported

crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\042819-6031-01.dmp

Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x7DC0FF8D, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFF8007DC57045)

Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above. This is a software bug.

This bug check belongs to the crash dump test that you have performed with WhoCrashed or other software. It means that a crash dump file was properly written out.

On Sun 4/28/2019 2:12:30 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported

crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\042819-6312-01.dmp

Bugcheck code: 0xF7 (0xFFFFF30BF20C5914, 0x9E6CF20C5914, 0xFFFF61930DF3A6EB, 0x0)

Error: DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER

Bug check description: This indicates that a driver has overrun a stack-based buffer.

On Sun 4/28/2019 12:08:59 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported

crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\042819-8437-01.dmp

This was probably caused by the following module: hardware.sys (hardware)

Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC000001D, 0xFFFFF803BE5F1ECA, 0xFFFFFE052965EEA0, 0x0)

Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.

A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: hardware.sys .

Google query: hardware.sys SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

BSOD is an indication of a PC issue, and not a game issue. With that said, this game will put quite a bit more stress on your system than any other on the market. Also note, that Windows Defender is antivirus, and you cannot actually turn it off.

First make sure all of your drivers are up to date. In the case of the GPU driver, perform a clean installation from the advanced settings option. Second, make sure you aren't doing anything silly like disabling the Pagefile. (Seriously, doing this is one of the dumbest things. Even with SSD's. Still doesn't stop people from doing it thinking they're going to save the drive and then having issues.) Third, follow the instructions in the Sticky FAQ for excluding the client from Windows Defender. (Although personally, you should get a real AV solution and then exclude the game from that.)

The last time I went round and round with a BSOD, I anguished over it for hours. Finally, I booted to Linux. Within five minutes, a kernel panic occurred, with a message that told me exactly what was wrong without ambiguity. In this case, it was actually a bad cpu (which is quite rare btw). Swapped out the cpu, problem went away. Idk why Windows couldn't tell me that, but I found the BSOD messages to be fairly worthless. "Oh gee something went wrong but we have no idea so it sucks to be you" was basically what Windows was telling me.

If you are feeling adventurous and have a bit of technical expertise and some time, get your hands on a Linux boot disk and boot to Linux. Better yet, create a small partition or slap in a small inexpensive SSD, install Linux to it, and try creating your random gen world from Linux. If it fails, chances are it will tell you exactly why it failed. There is also a good chance it won't fail, as I've found that most windows BSODs are caused by faults in Windows itself or one of the drivers, not the hardware.

Which leads me to another option that works much of the time - wipe your computer and reinstall windows. While a bit drastic and potentially time consuming, this can fix a lot of problems. Sometimes Windows just breaks and can't be fixed. I suspect 95% of those are registry problems, but that is just my opinion....

And while I'm harping on about Windows - Linux does not have a registry, which eliminates a lot of potential problems. If I could just have a dollar for every time I saw a corrupted Windows registry, I'd have enough money to retire...I switched to Linux and 95% of my computer OS related problems went away.

Archived