Fixing Navezgane bridges (and more), trying to modify existing prefabs

Gornemant

Hi,

I'm getting tired of the way bridges are placed/build on Navezgane and I'm trying to fix them. I was able to modify the prefab, however I can't seem to be able to lower the existing prefab in the terrain by 1 block.

If I set the Yoffset to -1 in the prefab xml for the prefab and distant POI, it will display the distant model correctly 1 block lower, however when generating the new map it will use the modified prefab, but it won't use the YOffset, making it spawn 1 block too high. It will also load with the correct offset in the editor in-game and in the tool on the forum, so I'm a bit at a loss there.

Also trying to fix the prefab Docks_3 since the underground portion is always filled with terrain and water. Enabling the Copy_air_blocks removed the terrain, however it did not get rid of the water. :/

Any help would be appreciated, sorry I'm kinda new at this.

I'd try both.

Hmm, so I'd have to modify the y offset for every single bridge in the prefabs.xml (I'm guessing you mean the xml in the Navezgane map folder since I couldn't find another one), I was hoping that this wouldn't be necessary, but I'll give it a try.

Given that it's an xml I might also just try to make a modlet if that works.

wood bridges done, funny thing is, the distant model is still the old one, which is a little bit confusing as I've also added 2 lower level to add support blocks (fixing the bridges that collapse for no reason).

Problem is now that's it'll be a non eac server if it's running these modifications, oh well, at least those ridiculous ramps are gone.

it's nothing fancy but at least it works a whole lot better than the original ones.

20190429183836_1.thumb.jpg.c4c4264b54e1c3c43ec45633efc356ec.jpg

wood bridges done, funny thing is, the distant model is still the old one, which is a little bit confusing as I've also added 2 lower level to add support blocks (fixing the bridges that collapse for no reason).

Problem is now that's it'll be a non eac server if it's running these modifications, oh well, at least those ridiculous ramps are gone.

it's nothing fancy but at least it works a whole lot better than the original ones.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28274[/ATTACH]

Remeshing the file is super easy. I use custom pieces as well, and if you let me use these, i will mesh them for you, just send me a link and i send you one back.

Remeshing the file is super easy. I use custom pieces as well, and if you let me use these, i will mesh them for you, just send me a link and i send you one back.

I'll finish up the other bridges first, there's the second wood bridge I'm not a fan of right now and the concrete bridge.

I'd like to be able to do it myself if possible, could you point me to, or explain, how I can remesh? :)

I'll finish up the other bridges first, there's the second wood bridge I'm not a fan of right now and the concrete bridge.

I'd like to be able to do it myself if possible, could you point me to, or explain, how I can remesh? :)

I think Slaans videos cover it, but basically, always make a backup first, then its

Prefab Simplify

check your mesh colors etc, then

Prefab Combine

Pefab might turn back or other weirdness, check console for completion, then

Prefab Export

verify it complete and close. do a screenshot and name it same as rest of prefab files and you will also have thumbs. Make backups!

I think Slaans videos cover it, but basically, always make a backup first, then its

Prefab Simplify

check your mesh colors etc, then

Prefab Combine

Pefab might turn back or other weirdness, check console for completion, then

Prefab Export

verify it complete and close. do a screenshot and name it same as rest of prefab files and you will also have thumbs. Make backups!

Thanks! doing that right now. I'm just wondering what the imposter blocks are/what their purpose is, should I remove them or just leave them as is? (some have very strange placements, like on top of the road surface)

Thanks! doing that right now. I'm just wondering what the imposter blocks are/what their purpose is, should I remove them or just leave them as is? (some have very strange placements, like on top of the road surface)

Not sure what imposter blocks are to be honest, I thought maybe it was a way to toggle the mesh view.

They're generic mesh blocks used in distant terrain.

...map a steel cube to an imposter block. Do the same for concrete cubes, etc... All mapping to basically the same block.

So basically a mean to minimize the number of different blocks when generating distant objects?

Ok, I think I got most bridges (skipped the destroyed big destroyed ones in the desert), gave them different names as to not write over the original files. Quick question: do they have to be in the regular prefab folder or can I put them in a mod folder? Tried the later but the prefabs wouldn't spawn. Thanks again!

There we go, I made all the files available on Nexusmods if you're interested, thanks again! https://www.nexusmods.com/7daystodie/mods/323/

There's still a small issue on one of the bridges caused by the terrain, some dirt is on top of the road:

dirt.jpg.206eb0ea5069b78a15d3ac827e66d5b6.jpg

It's not a big issue, but it brings me to a question I have with another POI in the game:

Is there a block that can be placed to remove any terrain block but is then removed after the generation, basically acts like air but isn't bound to the CopyAirBlocks property in the prefab xml?

I basically want to do 2 things with that:

- keep the copy air blocks disabled but remove anything the terrain might put in certain locations (so I can get rid of that dirt for example)

- remove water from POIs that have generation under water, copy air blocks doesn't seem to replace the water blocks, you can check that in the Docks_3 prefab that is used in Navezgane. By default the copy air blocks is disabled (so a good part of the underground is full of dirt and stone, zombies are trapped in dirt), but even if enabled it only removes the ground and not the water.

There we go, I made all the files available on Nexusmods if you're interested, thanks again! https://www.nexusmods.com/7daystodie/mods/323/

Thanks man, these will be replacing my vanilla bridges, very cool.

There's still a small issue on one of the bridges caused by the terrain, some dirt is on top of the road:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28329[/ATTACH]

It's not a big issue, but it brings me to a question I have with another POI in the game:

Is there a block that can be placed to remove any terrain block but is then removed after the generation, basically acts like air but isn't bound to the CopyAirBlocks property in the prefab xml?

I basically want to do 2 things with that:

- keep the copy air blocks disabled but remove anything the terrain might put in certain locations (so I can get rid of that dirt for example)

- remove water from POIs that have generation under water, copy air blocks doesn't seem to replace the water blocks, you can check that in the Docks_3 prefab that is used in Navezgane. By default the copy air blocks is disabled (so a good part of the underground is full of dirt and stone, zombies are trapped in dirt), but even if enabled it only removes the ground and not the water.

Theres a little bit to the answer if Im understanding correctly. You can create seperate air prefabs underground, I released a pack of biome and earth based blocks. If you have copy air blocks off, it may guve you empty space in the overlapped areas underground though i havent tried it.

For completely removing water from a prefab, i would just open in Pille editor and replace the water with air, which will fill if the prefab is set to not copy the air blocks.

Theres a little bit to the answer if Im understanding correctly. You can create seperate air prefabs underground, I released a pack of biome and earth based blocks. If you have copy air blocks off, it may give you empty space in the overlapped areas underground though i havent tried it.

For completely removing water from a prefab, i would just open in Pille editor and replace the water with air, which will fill if the prefab is set to not copy the air blocks.

You're welcome. :)

So basically make a new block that acts like air but isn't one? Thought about it, was wondering if there was already something similar by default in the game.

The prefab doesn't have any water in it (except for a small specific location), the water comes from the terrain itself, the prefab is placed ignoring the terrain and the air blocks ignore the water in the terrain even if the copyairblocks is set to true.

You're welcome. :)

So basically make a new block that acts like air but isn't one? Thought about it, was wondering if there was already something similar by default in the game.

The prefab doesn't have any water in it (except for a small specific location), the water comes from the terrain itself, the prefab is placed ignoring the terrain and the air blocks ignore the water in the terrain even if the copyairblocks is set to true.

Heres my utility pack which which I made when learning how to use the prefab editor. The sizes and selection are decent but could be better.

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?113442-Utility-Prefab-Pack-v1-for-A17-2&p=961928#post961928

Was my first attempt, but honestly once you get quick with the ingame prefab and editor and Pille's editor, you will quickly get fast enough to make them as you need them esp for things like air and water. I use both a lot when Im doing town and city placement.

Just unzip and drop them into your prefab folder. Just try and remember which ones you are using so you wont need to add my entire pack in order to use a handful of prefabs from it when your map is done. Mess around with those and let me know if you have any questions.

Guys I know this might not be related, but I see you might know, I cannot create thread atm for I just joined but does somebody know how I could create a "colored" area on my map to make it the spawn area....like in purple or something...can I paint on it or something ?

Guys I know this might not be related, but I see you might know, I cannot create thread atm for I just joined but does somebody know how I could create a "colored" area on my map to make it the spawn area....like in purple or something...can I paint on it or something ?

You could create a 10x20x1 concrete slab and paint it purple. Run around the slab and grab a handful of coordinates. Coordinates are read

E/W, height, NS. Go into spawnpoints.xml in the map you are editing and replace the entries with the coordinates you got from the slab and replace them. Might also back the file up first in case its gets boned up. If the map isnt reveled you obv wont see it on map, but it will otherwise show up like any other prefab.

Thank you !!

You could create a 10x20x1 concrete slab and paint it purple. Run around the slab and grab a handful of coordinates. Coordinates are read

E/W, height, NS. Go into spawnpoints.xml in the map you are editing and replace the entries with the coordinates you got from the slab and replace them. Might also back the file up first in case its gets boned up. If the map isnt reveled you obv wont see it on map, but it will otherwise show up like any other prefab.

Thx this was one of the way I tought......but wasnt too sure if there was a way to simply grab the map from the map folder and put it in paint then paint an area of it and replace it...

but I think I will do what you said because altought I tought about it....I never did think about painting them the color I want which is smart, thx a lot !!! I already did place spawnpoint, but it's only because I want to say in my server (no killing in this zone).

Server is "7DTD Quebec" if ever :) I Configured it with RAT also and some stuff, no mods but modified some XML's and got Alloc's Fixes and also Bad Company (BC editor), I expanded the inventory also, PVP, Lose only Toolbelt so you dont have to run and get all your material back, OR grabbed them and have to place things in inventory while a dozen zombies are there, you can go on longer trips also. Kill everyone, zombies are Walk all the time and jog on blood moon, a very enjoyable setting :)

All are welcome, Very stable !

Thx this was one of the way I tought......but wasnt too sure if there was a way to simply grab the map from the map folder and put it in paint then paint an area of it and replace it...

but I think I will do what you said because altought I tought about it....I never did think about painting them the color I want which is smart, thx a lot !!! I already did place spawnpoint, but it's only because I want to say in my server (no killing in this zone).

Server is "7DTD Quebec" if ever :) I Configured it with RAT also and some stuff, no mods but modified some XML's and got Alloc's Fixes and also Bad Company (BC editor), I expanded the inventory also, PVP, Lose only Toolbelt so you dont have to run and get all your material back, OR grabbed them and have to place things in inventory while a dozen zombies are there, you can go on longer trips also. Kill everyone, zombies are Walk all the time and jog on blood moon, a very enjoyable setting :)

All are welcome, Very stable !

Thanks for the invite, I will stop modding and play again at some point lol. For my players on the last server, I did something similar where the players wake up next to a hospital bed in a 5x5x5 concrete room with a steel door that faces out and away from the prefab, which is square and has 5-20 similar spawn rooms, all with doors facing outward. I placed a large square area of gravel around it and told my guys no killing inside the gravel. I had another one where we put in a trader and walled the whole thing with bedrock, everyone got their own mini starting base as well as a place where i let them keep end game items and for storing stuff to carry over to next map.

Im from the 28 days later school of run all the time zombies and compensate this by lowering req and craft costs for making ammo usually.

I found out how to use prefab and how to level terrain and stuff with it....but I spawned a prefab in the air and it crashed my server but thats not important since I have a backup engine, was running 5 minute later, but I was wondering....if I build that slab underground and paint it purple ? It won't show on map right ?, so I would have to do a floor like this somewhere I guess.....but I logged into another server which had defined area in purple but it was still the wood....they manage to paint a transparent purple highlight.....I wonder if it was a mod or simply a file hack (modify it)....I'll check into it, if I find out I'll let you all know :)

I found out how to use prefab and how to level terrain and stuff with it....but I spawned a prefab in the air and it crashed my server but thats not important since I have a backup engine, was running 5 minute later, but I was wondering....if I build that slab underground and paint it purple ? It won't show on map right ?, so I would have to do a floor like this somewhere I guess.....but I logged into another server which had defined area in purple but it was still the wood....they manage to paint a transparent purple highlight.....I wonder if it was a mod or simply a file hack (modify it)....I'll check into it, if I find out I'll let you all know :)

Custom biome maybe? Either that or a custom Rad zone, sorta beyond me there, seen them used but never used myself.

Archived