A19 NPCs DMT Mod

xyth

What Mr. Devolver said is likely accurate, and hes done 100 times more testing on this than I have. The NPCMechs modlet dletes all the CPMechs xml and replaces it with its own, only using the Mechs models. I also do this in the NPCHumans, deleting out many CPHuman duplicates.

I will test the NPCPest, not sure why hes being such a pest. :grumpy:

I didn't even test NPCMechs yet because I didn't know it was a separate new mod to download lol but now I installed it and I'm gonna test it properly this time, but not only that, your information here kinda made me rethink the strategy of my little mod which changes some settings, I didn't know that you're actually removing some duplicates here and there, so now that you told us, I guess I should be more careful about what I'm playing with and what am I trying to change and where. So I updated my mod based on this information, because I wanted to re-enable tracking of NPCs and wandering traders on the map and I figured I could implant those commented out lines into each of the sections where they should be to work the way I wish, but I wasn't sure where would be the best place to put those lines to not write too much of code, but I ended up crafting couple of appends for that purpose in the end, hopefully the syntax as well as places where I'm trying to put those lines are ok. Could you please review them? This is also the first time I'm using append, so hopefully it's ok. :p

<!-- Show interactable NPCs and wandering traders on the map -->
<!-- Wandering traders -->
<append xpath="/entity_classes/entity_class[contains(@name, 'TraderTemplate')]">
<property name="MapIcon" value="ui_game_symbol_enemy_dot" />
<property name="CompassIcon" value="ui_game_symbol_enemy_dot" />
<property name="CompassUpIcon" value="ui_game_symbol_enemy_dot_up" />
<property name="CompassDownIcon" value="ui_game_symbol_enemy_dot_down" />
<property name="TrackerIcon" value="ui_game_symbol_run"/>
</append>

<!-- Humans: Melee -->
<append xpath="/entity_classes/entity_class[@name='NPCHumanMeleeTemplate']">
</append>

<!-- Humans: Ranged -->
<append xpath="/entity_classes/entity_class[@name='NPCHumanRangedTemplate']">
</append>

<!-- Mechs: Melee -->
<append xpath="/entity_classes/entity_class[@name='NPCMechMeleeTemplate']">
</append>

Thanks for the info Mr.Devolver, i got into game and everything worked as before,only exception is that i had to rehire all my NPCs.

Xyth,the NPC actually isnt called "pest" he just has the same character model as pest from the 1st iteration of the mod(gas mask and hoodie/short guy). I think his name was raider something,or slugger something. Maybe raider scum. He is friendly,and hireable.If i catch him again il let ya know tthe name.

Added the Whisperers to the CPHumanPack but implemented only in the NPCPack as thats a faction based character set. Added the whispers to zombiegroups so they should be some walking with the zeds. I did not add them yet to sleeper spawning or bloodmoon. That might be fun but i will wait for feedback on that. NPCGhost no longer likes the whispers.

Added the Whisperers to the CPHumanPack but implemented only in the NPCPack as thats a faction based character set. Added the whispers to zombiegroups so they should be some walking with the zeds. I did not add them yet to sleeper spawning or bloodmoon. That might be fun but i will wait for feedback on that. NPCGhost no longer likes the whispers.

So, I finally tested it just now (including new whisperers). Quick question: Are they supposed to attack me on sight? ? This is kinda confusing you know, because as soon as I spawned, I was approached by one of them and it looks like they can be interacted with, however when I press E on them, nothing shows up and they just attack me on sight.

Yes, the bandits/raiders and whisperers will kos unless you give yourself the proper faction. They can be interacted with, but only once you are of their faction. Same goes for the other npcs. If you side with the raiders or whisperers they will become hostile.

There seems to be an issue - whisperer met raider (both were NPC versions), they stared at each other like if they wanted to kill each other, but it took them quite some time of staring at each other to realize they wanted to shoot each other lol

There seems to be an issue - whisperer met raider (both were NPC versions), they stared at each other like if they wanted to kill each other, but it took them quite some time of staring at each other to realize they wanted to shoot each other lol

Maybe they were trash talking and you couldnt hear it? :listening_headphone

Same type of thing happens when you change faction during an attack, it takes time to reset after an attack target is selected. That likely will be fixed in a future patch

Just had my 2nd ever horde night...Camped up on 2nd floor of a reinforced house,nothing fancy...but built shoot out window areas,the NPCs were giving it socks to the Z's. Saved my bacon...64 Z setting tho probably only half showed up cuz of game stage.

Great fun though.

I noticed with MP watching a few vids that players phase through each other,would that ever be possible for NPCs to not contact with player?At times with tight spaces it can be a death sentence.

Also pro tip: dont bring melee NPCs to a mine field lol

Glad the modlet is playing well, and your having fun. I play coop with my daughter. I usually enter a room first and her behind. Often shes too close and i need to run back out and shes blocking the door. Then it gets bad fast. So I consider NPCs like COOP players, they should block you and they have pros and cons having them around. I know player phase through on ladders but otherwise they do seem to block.

Edited by xyth (see edit history)

Glad the modlet is playing well, and your having fun. I play coop with my daughter. I usually enter a room first and her behind. Often shes too close and i need to run back out and shes blocking the door. Then it gets bad fast. So I consider NPCs like COOP players, they should block you and they have pros and cons having them around. I know player phase through on ladders but otherwise they do seem to block.

Be glad this is not Minecraft with its dark underground caves. When I introduced Minecraft to my nieces when they were little, we went to explore the cave. I forgot the torch and I told them: It's ok, you don't have to be scared, I will go first, just follow me and cover me from behind... And so we headed out into the darkness and I couldn't see anything. Very soon, I could hear skeletons, zombies, all kinds of threats you could think of in Minecraft, but it was too dark to see anything, so I just kept going wondering where will it lead us and my nieces kept following me just like I asked them. Everything was ok until the moment when I realized my character is suddenly slowly losing health as something was killing me. I thought for myself: It must be one of those damn skeletons! I stopped walking for a while and tried to take a look around to see if I could find him in the dark. Nope, I couldn't find him and yet I still kept losing health. Then I heard one of my nieces screaming: Zombie! The other niece was yelling: Kill that zombie, quickly! But it was too late for me as I died. What followed only escalated my confusion as my nieces started shouting happily: Yay, we finally killed that zombie!

Still confused, I had a little chat with my nieces and I asked them what they saw, so that I could get a better idea what actually happened... Turns out my niece did what I asked her to do, she covered me from behind and so I ended up with my back covered with arrows when she thought I was a zombie...

Needless to say, there was no actual skeleton or zombie around, just the three of us...

Edited by mr.devolver (see edit history)

Hahaha ye fair enough.It actually gave me a good laugh.I had a ctr wood plate(upright) at the top of the stairs so i could shoot over it with a shotty at Zs walking up the stairs,a bannister to my right hand side,..it was at that point my NPC stands behind me sandwiching me and i can no longer back up...im totally trapped with no movement and Zs barrelling up the stairs at me while im firing furiously both terrified and laughing my ass off at the same time.

The NPC "Raider moto" (red racer suit guy n hemet) also has the T pose issue when approached.

I also had an NPC just keel over and die,not from teleporting or anything,i was just chopping tress and i turned around and his yellow loot bag had dropped.No Zs or anything hostile,no mines.Had not seen it happen before. I didnt edit any xml file,is maslow on by default?As in do these guys need water and food?

Also it might be a good idea if NPC wander range is reduced by half.I have had two NPCs dissapear(found one a few days later). But approaching horde night and trying to round them up its a Pain in the ass,or find them in general to go looting.You never know if they maybe already died,and with no map markers it makes the whole process unecasserily long and tedious.I did mention it to Sphereii already but not sure if he edited it a little already.

Its been a while but in the xml you can set a home block that should restrict the wander radius. Maslow should be disabled by default but that's worth checking in your install. Not sure why that one just died.

Its been a while but in the xml you can set a home block that should restrict the wander radius. Maslow should be disabled by default but that's worth checking in your install. Not sure why that one just died.

Oh you were correct,NPC maslow was infact set to true. I guess my NPC died of hunger.

Even if enabled, Maslow should not active without the AITask. Do you load any other modlets that might put a condition on the NPC that hes not given immunity too? Like a custom damage buff? They die quickly from elemental damage like fire. Was there extreme cold or heat in the biome?

Even if enabled, Maslow should not active without the AITask. Do you load any other modlets that might put a condition on the NPC that hes not given immunity too? Like a custom damage buff? They die quickly from elemental damage like fire. Was there extreme cold or heat in the biome?

I have no other modlets running.The biome was a pine forest one,the temp was not a problem.It IS on the edge of a snow biome but the NPC wasnt really near to it.All i can think of is when i chopped a tree down he has standing behind me and died.Not much to go on i know...

You mentioned the home block to tweak wander distance,where exactly is it in the core folder?Or is it in the NPC'sf older and needing to be tweaked per NPC?

Well, forget the home block, that only works if Maslow is running. Instead, add the territorial property before the wandersdx task on the NPCs templates like it is on the CPHumans templates. LIke <property name="AITask-4" value="Territorial"/> then bump all the other tasks up by 1. If it works let me know and I can change the default mod templates.

Well, forget the home block, that only works if Maslow is running. Instead, add the territorial property before the wandersdx task on the NPCs templates like it is on the CPHumans templates. LIke <property name="AITask-4" value="Territorial"/> then bump all the other tasks up by 1. If it works let me know and I can change the default mod templates.

Will try that soon

Xyth i can confirm that NPCs have a chance to die when you are chopping trees down and they are actively following you.

I can reproduce it.

Grab a fire axe,tell an NPC to follow,proceed to chop tree down,NPC just dies. Ofcourse not all the time,but twice today it happened as a tree fell.

The NPC was the guy with the gas mask,and military fatigues.Sorry the name eludes me.Both melee and ranged version of that NPC died today.Its possibly all NPCs il keep looking.Strange thing.

Physics related? As soon as i chop and tree drops move to another tree,possible the NPC is taking damage from the tree falling?I never heard of that in 7days.

As an after thought of issue i posted above regarding trees.

I had chopped down hundreds o trees and never had the issue of an NPC dying,but recently i read a perk book called Wasteland Treasures Vol. 1. Which gives the player a small chance to get honey when he knocks down a tree... is it possibly connected? Because i have 2 jars of honey in my inventory and two dead NPC's.

Man i should have been a detective lol

EDIT : Also after a reload there are two yellow loot bags dropped by one NPC.One contaned nothing,one had food. There should only be one loot bag if im correct

Cant think of a way either of those events are directly caused by the NPC modlet. Its mush more likely the xml of another modlet is adding too or overwriting NPC or HumanPack xml. We load those resource modlets first so anything strange that happens is typically due to later loading modlets. The ony real changes to CPHumans and NPC modlets lately are adding now creatures and the faction patch.

Testing your tree scenario ought to answer your question pretty fast if that relationship exists.

Xyth, so far the only NPCs I can see in my world right now are whisperers. Not that I wouldn't want them to spawn, but it feels like somehow all the other types stopped spawning with whisperers installed. :(

How can I increase the probabilities of spawning the other NPCs to balance it out a little bit? I had no luck trying to mass change it through entitygroups.xml, I also tried it through spawning.xml by setting how many should spawn from each group, but so far I can't see any difference. I'm not even sure what am I doing anymore. :(

• xyth locked this topic