A19 NPCs DMT Mod

xyth

Pushed a potential fix for this, as well as fixing the quests issue.

Well, fellas, if there's one thing that can be said about you is that you ARE dedicated. No arguments possible. You're writing code, for us, on a Sunday and that's much appreciated.

Well, fellas, if there's one thing that can be said about you is that you ARE dedicated. No arguments possible. You're writing code, for us, on a Sunday and that's much appreciated.

I can't even keep up updating to the latest versions, I just finished updating one version, testing right now and now I see two new updates lol. Of course I'm NOT complaining, in fact I love this mod so much that it's hard to force myself to go to sleep in real life.

Just for tweaking purposes:

The NPCs still have 2 bad habits:

1) When you say "guard here" they will attack Zeds but they won't come back to that, exact spot. There are times that you want them at that "exact" spot....say to guard a door to keep Zeds from coming in.

2) For no reason at all, they will follow you around like a little brother / sister after you've given them an order to guard somewhere

I experienced all of this with the farmer NPC. I have to admit i am having different experiences with some NPCs.

They need XLM "crazy" glue to keep them in place and remember to get back to their guard spot after they attack. There's gotta be a way to do it.

And this is just me throwing it in there....When they wander into your space and you say "follow me" to get them back out, sometimes they (literally) get stuck behind something and destroy whatever it is to get back out. It's not a major issue but it makes keeping a nice place a chore. If they were to destroy a forge, that would be bad. I guess you would call that their obstacle logic?

Edited by Kilroy5150 (see edit history)

Yes, you definitely dont want them in the main area of your base, probably out in the courtyard or somewhere outside. Oh, and as a side note its great to see people as passionate about npcs in 7dtd as i am. I was crushed when tfp took out static spawners in a16 and then took out uma npc code in a17. Thanks to sphere and xyth i can have npcs again, and much better than the uma ones i used to use:whoo:

Edited by Darkstardragon (see edit history)

Yes, you definitely dont want them in the main area of your base, probably out in the courtyard or somewhere outside. Oh, and as a side note its great to see people as passionate about npcs in 7dtd as i am. I was crushed when tfp took out static spawners in a16 and then took out uma npc code in a17. Thanks to sphere and xyth i can have npcs again, and much better than the uma ones i used to use:whoo:

I tried three. Two guarding the back area and one at the front door. Once this whole wandering off issue gets fixed it will pay off. They're a good alternative to turrets until you can get turrets.

Still, the wandering traders can kill you WAY faster than any zombies. If they're in your area, and you're working on dealing with zombies, you could get hit by one of their "missile" rounds and their friendly fire will kill you in a second unless you're either heavily armored or have a ton of health.

I think it would be better to give them standard rounds rather than these missile rounds that blow up and take you down with the zombie. Even a mini-gun would be better than those exploding rounds they have now. In all honesty, i've been killed (more) by the traders than zombies lately. lol.

I tried three. Two guarding the back area and one at the front door. Once this whole wandering off issue gets fixed it will pay off. They're a good alternative to turrets until you can get turrets.

Still, the wandering traders can kill you WAY faster than any zombies. If they're in your area, and you're working on dealing with zombies, you could get hit by one of their "missile" rounds and their friendly fire will kill you in a second unless you're either heavily armored or have a ton of health.

I think it would be better to give them standard rounds rather than these missile rounds that blow up and take you down with the zombie. Even a mini-gun would be better than those exploding rounds they have now. In all honesty, i've been killed (more) by the traders than zombies lately. lol.

Their weapons are fine, we just need to be able to turn off friendly fire, so that your own NPCs will not kill you if you get between them and their real target.

Perhaps it should check the server option which controls friendly fire, if you turn it off, your friendly NPCs should never hurt you and you should never hurt them.

The damage done by the traders, NPC, and Bandit weapons are adjustable in items.xml so dont feel you have to use my default values. Also, the bandits and traders do not yet use the NPC faction code so have no friendly fire restrictions yet. Once the NPC code is stable I will convert the traders and bandits to also use some of the NPC code.

The damage done by the traders, NPC, and Bandit weapons are adjustable in items.xml so dont feel you have to use my default values. Also, the bandits and traders do not yet use the NPC faction code so have no friendly fire restrictions yet. Once the NPC code is stable I will convert the traders and bandits to also use some of the NPC code.

I'm confused. Does this mean that NPCs that can be hired already have the option to turn off friendly fire? If so, how do we use it?

As for the traders and bandits, I can't recall the last time I got hit by wandering traders, if at all. I'm actually happy when bandits find me and attack me, because it's a nice change to the game and zombies are no longer the only threat.

I was hit by my own follower though and that can be lethal sometimes, so if there is an option that would simply prevent our followers from killing us and maybe prevent us from killing them by accident, that would be awesome.

I'm confused. Does this mean that NPCs that can be hired already have the option to turn off friendly fire? If so, how do we use it?

I was hit by my own follower though and that can be lethal sometimes, so if there is an option that would simply prevent our followers from killing us and maybe prevent us from killing them by accident, that would be awesome.

No, at this point friendly fire in NPCs mean if you are their leader you and anyone in your party cant hurt them, and they can't hurt another NPC in your hire (and maybe in a party members hire, I forget if that made it in). But they can hit you with friendly fire. Not sure is Sphereii wants to add that aspect of friendly fire prevention in out not.

No, at this point friendly fire in NPCs mean if you are their leader you and anyone in your party cant hurt them, and they can't hurt another NPC in your hire (and maybe in a party members hire, I forget if that made it in). But they can hit you with friendly fire. Not sure is Sphereii wants to add that aspect of friendly fire prevention in out not.

It would be cool if that was an option, it would allow more flexibility for mod creators too. I mean, there are pros and cons and one of the cons is definitely that they can hurt you by accident, close quarter situations may be lethal and sometimes it doesn't really depend on your own skills. Don't get me wrong, NPC companions are very useful, for example when you are facing a horde somewhere outside, they can really take care of some of them for you, but once inside, they can actually do more harm than good depending on the situation. I would love to confidently take them into any POI without worrying that they will kill me. :D

Here's an example in which this option would be useful:

Maybe some mod creator would like to create a mod in which you have a quest during which you must meet an NPC and the NPC would join you. You wouldn't be able to kill him, he wouldn't be able to kill you, but let's say that as the story unfolds, your NPC friend turns against you and you have to kill him. Friendly fire would switch to ON, so that he could kill you, but also you could kill him to proceed in the quest.

I guess in this example, it would require more than just friendly fire switch, but the flexibility would already be in place.

Edited by mr.devolver (see edit history)

Friendly fire will be looked at to see whats practical codewise. Thanks for the suggestion!

Thanks for reassurance that it might be added eventually. This mod is already awesome and it will be even better with that option. With bandits, wandering traders and NPCs you can hire, you get long hours of solo roleplay without getting bored. Companions give you that "we're in this together" feeling, wandering traders give you that "I'm not alone in this apocalypse" feeling and bandits give you that restless feeling that you can get shot at any time and you have to act fast if you want to stay alive - "Oh sh** who's shooting at me?" or "Damn, I have to try a different way, because this one is still too powerful for me to deal with!". Basically this set of mods gives me what I always wanted to have in the base game and it was never added.

Friendly fire will be looked at to see whats practical codewise. Thanks for the suggestion!

Okay, is it just the sound or do some of their weapons have a "radius" effect when they impact? I've been in the small trailer parks and heard a shot go off, saw the exploding effect, then been blown right off the trailer's porch before the zombies could even get out the door. If it is, which code affects it?

Okay, is it just the sound or do some of their weapons have a "radius" effect when they impact? I've been in the small trailer parks and heard a shot go off, saw the exploding effect, then been blown right off the trailer's porch before the zombies could even get out the door. If it is, which code affects it?

Effects what? The sound? The explosion? Did they hit a gas barrel or car? The xml that controls damage is in the items.xml. The sound used is the vanilla blunderbuss sound, the projectile only has a .25 block impact radius. There is no explosion beyond the particle effect which is a visual explosion effect.

Edited by xyth (see edit history)

Xyth,

I just had a perfect situation in which I went into Pass-N-Gas, I attacked a zombie, but I only had a stone axe and suddenly a nurse NPC came from behind and finished that zombie for me. Soon after that, I looted the room, found a shotgun, went to the second room / garage, door was open and even before I reached it, a zombie that was inside went straight to me. I shot him and suddenly I had two bandits on my back, BanditEve and BanditArcher who both attacked me. That was probably a random rare coincidence, but it was pretty intense and very cool and it made me think that maybe it would be cool if wandering traders, bandits and npcs had a chance to be attracted to the sounds like shooting and follow the source. That could create some interesting situations like this one.

Effects what? The sound? The explosion? Did they hit a gas barrel or car? The xml that controls damage is in the items.xml. The sound used is the vanilla blunderbuss sound, the projectile only has a .25 block impact radius. There is no explosion beyond the particle effect which is a visual explosion effect.

The particle effect must pass through a player (sometimes) when being shot at them because, as i said, i was on a porch of a trailer and heard the shot, saw the effect, then got blown off the porch and died. No, no gas barrel or car, i just heard the boom, saw the particles, then was dead. I mean it either hit me, dead on or hit the door (in front of my face) then blew me up. That's really what i'm trying to understand.

Do they shoot regular bullets or do the bullets have any real grenade-like explosive damage radius from the traders? They're the ones who have caused me to die more times than anything when they're close and i'm dealing with zombies. I'm just trying to understand what types of rounds they are using, standard or explosive?

Xyth,

I just had a perfect situation in which I went into Pass-N-Gas, I attacked a zombie, but I only had a stone axe and suddenly a nurse NPC came from behind and finished that zombie for me. Soon after that, I looted the room, found a shotgun, went to the second room / garage, door was open and even before I reached it, a zombie that was inside went straight to me. I shot him and suddenly I had two bandits on my back, BanditEve and BanditArcher who both attacked me. That was probably a random rare coincidence, but it was pretty intense and very cool and it made me think that maybe it would be cool if wandering traders, bandits and npcs had a chance to be attracted to the sounds like shooting and follow the source. That could create some interesting situations like this one.

Sounds like fun :-) The bandits and wandering traders have the "ApproachSpot" vanilla AI task so they will investigate "heat" caused by noise. The NPCs do not have that task, but it could be added to their xml if you wanted.

Xyth,

The NPCs and traders do show up in the strangest places, that's for sure. I just wish they were more focused when following me. They seem to get distracted, by zombies, that are off in the distance. But, if you wanna clear a house without being disturbed, they are the perfect companion to bring along.

I know this is an odd question but...could we "pocket" them when we travel? I mean, you're hiring them until death, right? Why not make them something we can carry around and just drop on an instant? I say this because of that problem they have when, if you hire them and take off on any kind of vehicle, they can't keep up with you to help if you need them on a mission.

Just a thought.

It would be as cool as having an auto-turret that you could drop on an instant with it's own mini-battery pack (hint hint) lol!

Sounds like fun :-) The bandits and wandering traders have the "ApproachSpot" vanilla AI task so they will investigate "heat" caused by noise. The NPCs do not have that task, but it could be added to their xml if you wanted.

Well, I don't know how that could be done, but on the other hand, wouldn't it distract our hired NPCs from the task we give them? I mean, it would be cool if wandering (non-hired) NPCs were able to go investigate the sounds of shooting, but in the same time, I wouldn't like hired NPCs go to do the same thing if I wanted them to stay with me or guard some specific spot.

I know this is an odd question but...could we "pocket" them when we travel? I mean, you're hiring them until death, right? Why not make them something we can carry around and just drop on an instant? I say this because of that problem they have when, if you hire them and take off on any kind of vehicle, they can't keep up with you to help if you need them on a mission.

Just a thought.

It would be as cool as having an auto-turret that you could drop on an instant with it's own mini-battery pack (hint hint) lol!

Pocketing wont happen, as they are "humans" not tools. Rucky made a portable auto turret that might be more what your looking for.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, I don't know how that could be done, but on the other hand, wouldn't it distract our hired NPCs from the task we give them? I mean, it would be cool if wandering (non-hired) NPCs were able to go investigate the sounds of shooting, but in the same time, I wouldn't like hired NPCs go to do the same thing if I wanted them to stay with me or guard some specific spot.

I left it off the NPCs because it does tend to distract them from other tasks. Balancing how quickly one task effects another task is tricky, so the fewer tasks the better.

Pocketing wont happen, as they are "humans" not tools. Rucky made a portable auto turret that might be more what your looking for.

- - - Updated - - -

I left it off the NPCs because it does tend to distract them from other tasks. Balancing how quickly one task effects another task is tricky, so the fewer tasks the better.

Well, in Fallout 4, your companion is a little bit more autonomous than it was in previous versions, but generally, when they see an enemy nearby, they attack them and once they kill them, they quickly run back to you. When you tell them it's time for you to separate, you can set which base you want them to go and they go there. Once there, they never really wander off too far even when the base is under attack, they always return back to base after chasing and killing the enemy. Maybe it could work similarly here. Your companion could stay with you for as long as you need them and if you tell them to go back to the base, they could go there and stay within the boundaries of your land claim and possibly protect it while you're gone.

As for Kilroy's question, I kinda understand why he's asking this. When we talked about NPC companions before you released this mod, I believe you mentioned something like they can keep up with you when you're in a vehicle. I'm not sure if this is still true though. I tried this in one of the previous versions and the companion didn't really catch up, I lost him. I drove back to base, started sorting items in the chests and I thought he would eventually show up, but he didn't. I had to go back to find him. The bad news was that he didn't catch up, but the good news is that he was still where I left him. They are definitely a great addition to the game, but I wish we could travel with them.

How about simulating that they are in the vehicle with you? Once you get in a vehicle, they get in too, except they don't as they would just despawn and maybe occupy the inventory of the vehicle. Once you get out of vehicle, they spawn near you. Would it be possible?

Okay, but will teleportation (to keep up) or them getting into a vehicle to join us be a thing so they can go with us on missions?

Oh hey, KUDOS on whatever you did to keep them with us. My chef guy was actually around after i logged off and back on. That is amazingly cool that they have memories that they've been hired now.

Also, will there be an option to "armor" them (with spare apparel) later possibly?

Update: That memory, that you hired them, only lasts for a couple of logons.

NPCs in the vehicle are kind of iffy. We may be able to code them in, but they'd look weird, since we don't really have a sit animation. We could do the teleporting thing, but I feel that some people would want that while others would say its too cheaty.

We could make some kind of magic whistle that will summon them, with a random time period of them actually showing up to you, so they aren't instantaneous.

Giving them armour might be easier than giving them weapons.

• xyth locked this topic