RWG not available when reverting back to previous builds?

Mephistopheles

I wanted to go back and try out A11-A13 so I changed my "beta" version in Steam to older versions. But something isn't right because anytime I click "Create World" it says something like "Create World will be available in a later version". And when creating a New Game (SP) it shows a lot of the newfangled prefab county options, but no option to just create a new RWG and have it assign some randomly named county. So if I select any county other than default Navezgane, and then enter in a seed/game name to hopefully randomly generate a new world, I'm met with a constant stream of NRE's and the game never loads and I have to kill the process in Task Manager.

So am I doing something wrong here or are we no longer able to play RWG on older Alphas? The wiki says that RWG began in A9 and was "Confirmed" ?? in A15. Did A11, A12, A13, and A14 never have RWG? I started playing towards the end of A14 and I swear RWG was around back then.

I've also done other things like repairing the Steam Download Library and verifying files and such, nothing is helping.

Ok so I'm probably not explaining this very well and to save you the time of trying it for yourself to see what I'm seeing, here's a video showing...

https://streamable.com/dasii

1. Create World does nothing, that's not how I'm trying to create a new world.

2. Navezgane and lots of counties to choose from, no options to create a new county or new game without selecting a county first.

3. Not shown, but selecting Navezgane does indeed successfully start a new game, but I want an RWG game instead.

4. Note the yellow console text saying "WRN loaded world file from different version 'Alpha 17 (b240)' Why is it loading a world file from a version I don't have installed?

5. Flood of NRE which leads to the game never loading and needing to have its process killed.

Sounds like you mixed a17 and a earlier version together. Try isolating a17 onto another folder

I haven't messed with the folders at all. All I've done is switch "beta" versions under the Properties tab of the game on Steam. I guess something might be broken with that and I need to uninstall and reinstall?

Alright so I uninstalled completely and did a fresh 13.8 install. Still no dice.

Then I deleted all the 7days related folders in C:/Users/Username/Appdata/Roaming and C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/Steamapps/common that the uninstall failed to delete. And now it appears to be working. The only two options when starting a new game are Navezgane and Random Gen, instead of Navezgane and lots of prefab counties like before.

from what i see in your video at first you do have a mess somehow... what i just did and i am serious... i just did it... i opted in for alpha 13.8b7 and it over wrote my current a18 build and i had no issue creating a random gen map.

please watch the video showing what i did...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zYjEMSKpHk

i hope this helps

@Mephistopheles glad to see you fixed it. that was one of those things that just happens and it is a PIA but on the brite side... as i stated above, i just installed a13.8b7 over top of my a18 test build and didnt have issues (fingers were crossed tho)

Thanks for looking into this Joe. I think you found the source of the problem, as I can confirm that I was NOT crossing my fingers when I tried it. I was holding my tongue a certain way, but I see that tongue placement has no bearing on this type of operation. It's working now and I'm enjoying just how relentless you are found and pursued by seemingly endless streams of roaming zeds that signal their buddies to pop out of the bushes and flank you. It kinda makes me wonder why the only real threat from zeds is inside buildings now.

Anyway, thanks for always being helpful and kind, unlike some of the math teachers around here. I'll remember to cross my fingers when doing anything unconventional from now on.

Archived