Statusupdate from the Devs? Your opinion on A17- 4 months in

Viktoriusiii

Prefix: dont move this into questions.

This is not a question about the game.

It is a communication thread. Thank you.

With that said:

I'm back again.

Now nearly four months have passed since the disaster of A17.0 hit. Two hotfixes were released but there are still major issues with 17.2

Playernumbers are as low as they were before A16 and not even two steamsales and one humblebundle sale (that i know of) did anything to prevent this.

The forums are more or less depopulated (obviously its still active, but comparing it to pre A17 levels) as a lot of critics have left it for someone else to criticise.

The steamratings are still only at a 56% positive rating and although I havent checked in as regular as I may should have, I have not seen any reconsiliation from the team.

I do not talk about moderators. But madmole as a spokesperson mainly who represents TFPs.

Things are planned to be changed and I can not wait until they are.

But has anything been said regarding "LBD" instead of "LBG" (Level by grinding)? Or is he still dying on that hill?

Has there been a mention of removing the levelgates?

Bringing back more variation in playstyles (more than 6 levels, gunparts or similar and all that)

And have there been any reports about if they finally work on more content instead of trying to slow down the player?

(more electricity/defences; endgame content like bosses or similar)

What I want to ask is: after 4 months of playerfeedback and numbers supporting that feedback, have they shown signs of backtracking some of the changes brought in in A17?

And while I'm at it:

As far as I could tell, most ppl pro A17 said that it brought something fresh.

So tell me now: how has your opinion changed since release of A17 or A17.2 to now?

Because I have only played about 20-30 hours of A17.2 (with friends so it should be even more fun) and I'm already bored of it.

I have all the weapons, hordenights are stupid because you either use killboxes (aka tunnels with traps) or you abuse it another way because they cut through your walls like its chewing gum. And while some of the new POIs are fresh, they all have those stupid "hidden" zombies that make no sense and completely ruin the immersion.

In comparison, I played about 100-300 hours per alpha before 17. And never really got bored until the very end. Before A11 I often couldnt even get to that point because a new alpha was released.

Yes I am still mad, but not nearly as much as when it released. Now I'm just disappointed in the letdown not furious for ruining such an awesome outstanding game.

If you like it, that is great. Good for you. That doesn't make it a good Alpha though. If 50% of ppl dislike it, that is a clear indication that something is wrong.

TL;DR:

Any updates on backtracking some of the broken changes like leveling, perks and stuff?

What is your opinion now on A17

And are you excited for A18 or are you just hoping they can restore the games prior glory?

Prefix: dont move this into questions.

This is not a question about the game.

You're right, it's a whole buttload of questions about the game...

has anything been said regarding "LBD" instead of "LBG" (Level by grinding)?

have there been any reports about if they finally work on more content instead of trying to slow down the player?

What I want to ask is: after 4 months of playerfeedback and numbers supporting that feedback, have they shown signs of backtracking some of the changes brought in in A17?

how has your opinion changed since release of A17 or A17.2 to now?

Any updates on backtracking some of the broken changes like leveling, perks and stuff?

are you excited for A18 or are you just hoping they can restore the games prior glory?

You did have one point I'd think bears some attention....

hordenights are stupid because you either use killboxes (aka tunnels with traps) or you abuse it another way because they cut through your walls like its chewing gum.

I don't have a good solution I'm pushing, I just think it warrants revisiting.

-Morloc

I'm back again.

But you said....I knew it!!!

But has anything been said regarding "LBD" instead of "LBG" (Level by grinding)? Or is he still dying on that hill?

Bringing back more variation in playstyles (more than 6 levels, gunparts or similar and all that)

And have there been any reports about if they finally work on more content instead of trying to slow down the player?

(more electricity/defences; endgame content like bosses or similar)

LBD is over. Period. Accept it and adapt or move on if it is your game breaker.

Level gates are planned to be removed once the perk restructure and rebalance is done.

More variation under the new system is planned but not a bringing back of old system variation.

More content is being added in A18.

After 4 months of player feedback they have taken the feedback they feel is worthwhile and used it to fine tune and adjust what they have done. There is zero talk of backtracking. That's not true. There is a lot of talk about how they will never backtrack. However, they have added options to the main menu so that players can backtrack a few things for themselves.

And while I'm at it:

So tell me now: how has your opinion changed since release of A17 or A17.2 to now?

Because I have only played about 20-30 hours of A17.2 (with friends so it should be even more fun) and I'm already bored of it.

I have all the weapons, hordenights are stupid because you either use killboxes (aka tunnels with traps) or you abuse it another way because they cut through your walls like its chewing gum. And while some of the new POIs are fresh, they all have those stupid "hidden" zombies that make no sense and completely ruin the immersion.

In comparison, I played about 100-300 hours per alpha before 17. And never really got bored until the very end. Before A11 I often couldnt even get to that point because a new alpha was released.

I still enjoy it. I love the POI's that are full of zombies to kill and I like killing them room by room as I advance through the building. I don't fire a gun and wait for them to come outside though I don't begrudge others from having their fun their own way. That being said, I have finally put together the mod I have been wanting to do for a few years now because I never liked how the game changed when experience points were added and have been wanting to return the game to the time before experience was a part of the game. So I have been playing that but still enjoying the rest of the game that my mod doesn't affect.

Yes I am still mad, but not nearly as much as when it released. Now I'm just disappointed in the letdown not furious for ruining such an awesome outstanding game.

If you like it, that is great. Good for you. That doesn't make it a good Alpha though. If 50% of ppl dislike it, that is a clear indication that something is wrong.

I do like it and you can't be so dense as to believe that 56% positive reviews on steam actually means that only 50% of all people like it. It only means that 44% of those who write reviews found it unfavorable and for a variety of reasons-- some of which don't align with your reasons at all. If you are disappointed by it and hate it that is you. That doesn't make it a bad Alpha though. Alphas are snapshots along the journey of development. If the ups and downs of development are going to make you furious and mad and disappointed and sad you really should just shelve the game until it is done. Don't torture yourself. There's nothing wrong with waiting until it is done.

TL;DR:

And are you excited for A18 or are you just hoping they can restore the games prior glory?

No backtracking just developing forward and onward.

It is still great!

Yes I am. I hope they can find greater glory than ever before.

I really enjoy A17 except for a few things.

1. Level gates have always bugged me in pretty much any game.

2. Buildings are like clown cars with the amount of zed's inside most of the time.

3. All crafting tied to intelligence

That said all these are being addressed with A18.

If you look at the A18 dev thread pretty much everything you're wondering about is answered there. https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?111778-Alpha-18-Dev-Diary!!

Not by much. 17 is better than 16 in virtually every way and those things that are worse (like RWG) the devs have openly stated are being worked on.

The rose glasses for 16 still amazes me. The old LBD system was not better than the current one in any way - particularly considering that the new one is nothing more than a test case for the final version they are working on. Zed pathing was far worse - we all remember them running in pointless circles. Base defense has always been about exploiting a zed weakness - in 16 it was thinning them out and forcing them to attack multiple points, in 17 it is about proper trap placement and pathing.

Still liking 17.0 in both SP and MP and I'm liking the potential changes coming for a18. If the new RWG looks as good as the pics that have been posted, then exploration is going to be a real treat. Level gates seem to be going away and the attributes/perks are going to get some restructuring to allow for focus on particular play styles.

I’m done with A17. I’ve made my criticisms clear in a number of threads. Hopefully the devs have listened.

I’ll evaluate A18 when it comes out. My impression is that the devs like the changes I hate, so I may be done with 7 days (or perhaps playing mods).

Everyone has their threshold for punishment. A moment when they say "enough, im not supporting this anymore". It is a slow build-up for those that are engaged in something they used to like. Mine was a two-pronged event, first at A15, when i decided to longer mod an Alpha game that changes so much with every update, and for the worst. You know when someone tries to save a cake by adding new layers, but each new layer, as good as they taste individually just messes up the entire cake more? This is 7 Days to Die.

The second was when René Kuhn, the most dedicated modder in the game, died in an accident. The developers didnt care. They couldnt. They after all need more ways to sell their game. Its okay. Ill just quit modding.

But then came A17 and everyone said it was bottom-level 7DTD. I couldnt believe it so i tested it myself for a month or so. The game is now completely devoid of its original character. There are just so many problems that rotted out to this version it stank even new cool mechanics, like new vehicles. The LBD is gone, because it actually was a cool thing and we cant have cool things. With standard settings zombies destroy bases effortlessly. I cant now find parts, just whole guns. The awesome quality level system for items is gone for a meager 1-6 system, because instead of hiring a mathematician to make loot drops more interesting they instead scrapped the whole idea because they couldnt bang their heads enough.

And for all gun aficcionados out there, all they got was a mod system that is alright, but makes zero sense when you need a schematic that is destroyed when you craft one. And im not even mentioning how farming is useless and they broke completely what was once the best sustaining water/food system several alphas ago.

So yeah, patience has its limits. And even the most patient of people are leaving because the devs want to be Hideo Kojima and do the opposite of what their players want, but can't separate the whiners from the good advice. Way to go, pimps. You sure slap and put those wenches of yours giving you money, thats how its done.

Oh great! someone has come to the forum to complain about the game via questions, but says they're not questions but a discussion.

I'm enjoying A17.X for what it is; one of many iterations of the game in which the developers constantly take feedback (I think too much), adapt, mold, grow, expand, tweak, and constantly discuss and communicate with the players. There are things I wish they hadn't taken out, things I like, and things which I see are evolving.

And I'm still enjoying the game for what it is

And I will enjoy the game for what it will be

Just move on to another game already if all you've got is whinging about it.

Oh great! someone has come to the forum to complain about the game via questions, but says they're not questions but a discussion.

I'm enjoying A17.X for what it is; one of many iterations of the game in which the developers constantly take feedback (I think too much), adapt, mold, grow, expand, tweak, and constantly discuss and communicate with the players. There are things I wish they hadn't taken out, things I like, and things which I see are evolving.

And I'm still enjoying the game for what it is

And I will enjoy the game for what it will be

Just move on to another game already if all you've got is whinging about it.

5bc.jpg

It's a mixed bag...

Most of the changes I have seen until now aren't very exciting like that new weapon or armor. Also for example the books will be a nice touch, but they will NOT be a replacement for the old recipe books as MM seems to think, since they are mere bonuses versus the recipe books that could make playthroughs different.

If you hover the mouse over the lock icon it pops out text of what you need to buy it. We're removing level gates, so that should simplify it even more.

Not sure at what extend, but the game will surely keep changing in the future so patience...

cough... stamina changes... cough cough... death penalty.... cough...

There is still stamina management and people still complain about the stamina so definitely not a backtrack--simply a retuning of severity which (of course) others feel was unwarranted.

There is still the near death penalty and people still complain about it and mod it out completely so definitely not a backtrack. It was lessened and made less harsh but it is still there in a form that people still hate so there you go.

Everyone has their threshold for punishment. A moment when they say "enough, im not supporting this anymore". It is a slow build-up for those that are engaged in something they used to like. Mine was a two-pronged event, first at A15, when i decided to longer mod an Alpha game that changes so much with every update, and for the worst. You know when someone tries to save a cake by adding new layers, but each new layer, as good as they taste individually just messes up the entire cake more? This is 7 Days to Die.

The second was when René Kuhn, the most dedicated modder in the game, died in an accident. The developers didnt care. They couldnt. They after all need more ways to sell their game. Its okay. Ill just quit modding.

But then came A17 and everyone said it was bottom-level 7DTD. I couldnt believe it so i tested it myself for a month or so. The game is now completely devoid of its original character. There are just so many problems that rotted out to this version it stank even new cool mechanics, like new vehicles. The LBD is gone, because it actually was a cool thing and we cant have cool things. With standard settings zombies destroy bases effortlessly. I cant now find parts, just whole guns. The awesome quality level system for items is gone for a meager 1-6 system, because instead of hiring a mathematician to make loot drops more interesting they instead scrapped the whole idea because they couldnt bang their heads enough.

And for all gun aficcionados out there, all they got was a mod system that is alright, but makes zero sense when you need a schematic that is destroyed when you craft one. And im not even mentioning how farming is useless and they broke completely what was once the best sustaining water/food system several alphas ago.

So yeah, patience has its limits. And even the most patient of people are leaving because the devs want to be Hideo Kojima and do the opposite of what their players want, but can't separate the whiners from the good advice. Way to go, pimps. You sure slap and put those wenches of yours giving you money, thats how its done.

Well I typed and deleted about five responses to this steaming pile of a post. That is the only indication I'll give of what I originally was going to type. Instead I will encourage everyone to please load up 7 Days to Die and click on the credits.

René "Pacco" Kuhn was acknowledged by the developers and they did care about him and his team of modders who created Starvation. Everyone has their own opinion about A17 and the general direction the game has been heading since about A11 and that is all it is...opinion. To try and use Pacco's passing as a club to bully the developers is a new low especially since it is unfair and unwarranted.

There is still stamina management and people still complain about the stamina so definitely not a backtrack--simply a retuning of severity which (of course) others feel was unwarranted.

There is still the near death penalty and people still complain about it and mod it out completely so definitely not a backtrack. It was lessened and made less harsh but it is still there in a form that people still hate so there you go.

I know, these are too minor to be considered backtracking anyway... but I just HAVE to whine about them every chance I get, until we get options for them as well.

I know, these are too minor to be considered backtracking anyway... but I just HAVE to whine about them every chance I get, until we get options for them as well.

I'll put in a plug for my mod which is pretty good now in terms of death penalty. You earn 1 skillpoint after the first (real time)hour of staying alive, 2 skillpoints after the second hour, and 3 skillpoints after the third hour and then 3 skillpoints every hour thereafter as long as you don't die. If you die the whole process starts over and believe me-- when you see that you are at level three of earning skillpoints you feel a real fear of dying so as to not lose that.

With no experience points I don't feel unnatural incentives to do things for the express purpose of earning xp and death means starting over on earning skillpoints. I played for about 5 hours today and had a few close calls where my heart was beating because I knew what death meant and I really wanted the 3 skillpoints that were coming due very soon.

I'll put in a plug for my mod which is pretty good now in terms of death penalty. You earn 1 skillpoint after the first (real time)hour of staying alive, 2 skillpoints after the second hour, and 3 skillpoints after the third hour and then 3 skillpoints every hour thereafter as long as you don't die. If you die the whole process starts over and believe me-- when you see that you are at level three of earning skillpoints you feel a real fear of dying so as to not lose that.

With no experience points I don't feel unnatural incentives to do things for the express purpose of earning xp and death means starting over on earning skillpoints. I played for about 5 hours today and had a few close calls where my heart was beating because I knew what death meant and I really wanted the 3 skillpoints that were coming due very soon.

I am sure it's way more effective than what we have now at making you want to survive. And I would like to remember how it feels like to play without the xp factor again. I'll check it out. Only thing that kind of bums me out is choosing how fast the difficulty will increase (by the quests) without getting something significant out of it, since you can pool skill points with time. Also looking forward to these future features :o

VIC and RAZZ.... I gotta ask...

What other sandbox games are better then this alpha? Besides earlier builds of the game or project zomboid, go on, name em! I wanna play em!

Dwarf Fortress if you're into no-graphics, infinetely-complex games. If you want the dumbed down, space edition, Rimworld.

Don't Starve has its moments. But if you're just into zombie builder games, you're stuck with either this or Project Zomboid, each with its pros and cons. Not a sandbox, but Escape from Tarkov is generally getting better and better with each update (but has zero zombies, though). The gunplay alone of Escape from Tarkov makes the game incredible.

Then if we branch off, there's Mordhau coming April 29th. It's not that 7 Days to Die is a bad game, its that it suffers a rare syndrome of getting worse and worse with each new update, becoming more and more a shell of its former self. How can I give any seriousness to a game where the devs can't even put a freakin' gun animation straight for three years or more? It's this and many other quirks which put 7DTD down, when it has the potential to be even better than what it currently is.

I'm waiting for 17.3 if its going to be a thing, though I still have issues with the game, like Steel is able to be crafted WAY to early imo, its supposed to be endgame, level 30 ish is not endgame at all. I'd like to see tiers offer slightly better stats even without mods. I'd also like to see the zombine spawning mechanic overhauled, so that at all gamestages, there is only a chance of a rad feral insted of every single poi being infested with nothing BUT these. Make it work like loot/loot bonus, higher bonus=higher chance of higher tier items but never guarnteed. Once you get past a certan day in a17 poi's become not worth looting anymore as the cost to loot them is far higher than what you can possible gain, which is really bad in a game like this. My zombie spawning thing would fix this, as while you'll see more of these enemies, you'll still see lots of normal zombies too.

The amount of zombies that spawn in POI's also needs to be looked over, a small house that maybe a family of 4 would live in should not have 10+ zombies in it. The problem is, its static, that poi will almost ALWAYS have the same amount of zombies in it always in the same spots, imo the spawns should be randomize. Small houses can spawn 0-8 zombies, though bigger poi's have a much higher min/max that can spawn. Exploring Poi's in a17 was great at first, but it got boring real fast once I relized I could look at a poi and know how many zombies it'll have and know where they all are since its static.

Archived