Edit History

h0tr0d

h0tr0d

7 hours ago, Morkilimus said:

So this is my first time using Nitrogen, and I have a couple of questions regarding wasteland/burnland biomes.

I *do* want to include them in my map. However, I *do not* like how Nitrogen handles their generation.

1.) How do I reduce the number of wasteland craters generated? I feel like there are just way too many of these things scattered about.
2.) How do I increase/decrease the size of said craters?

Ultimately, I would like to have it generate one single large crater, or no craters at all, but have the wasteland biome just seamlessly merge with its surrounding biomes.

I've looked in the config file, but I don't see any setting specifically about wasteland biome.

If you don't select add burned/wasteland it won't generate them.

And in the config file I imagine these lines cover craters; try setting them to 0 and see what happens.

GEN_CRATER_BASE = 5
GEN_CRATER_MANY = 18

3 hours ago, Maharin said:

So... why is NitroGen so much faster than the built-in generator?  I can generate a 16k x 16k map in NitroGen in 5.5 minutes on my not-the-fastest computer.  It takes that long to do a 4k x 4k in the built-in generator.  /boggle

On 4/10/2019 at 10:15 AM, Damocles said:

Different approach how the map is generated. The vanilla RWG is probably putting a lot of effort into the noise-map generation, and its also embedded in a larger project, wich tends to slow things down.

(I also have full creative freedom ... if I want a feature, I just implement it. No design-paper to write and standup-meetings to attend to)

h0tr0d

h0tr0d

7 hours ago, Morkilimus said:

So this is my first time using Nitrogen, and I have a couple of questions regarding wasteland/burnland biomes.

I *do* want to include them in my map. However, I *do not* like how Nitrogen handles their generation.

1.) How do I reduce the number of wasteland craters generated? I feel like there are just way too many of these things scattered about.

Ultimately, I would like to have it generate one single large crater, or no craters at all, but have the wasteland biome just seamlessly merge with its surrounding biomes.

I've looked in the config file, but I don't see any setting specifically about wasteland biome.

And in the config file I imagine these lines cover craters; try setting them to 0 and see what happens.

GEN_CRATER_BASE = 5
GEN_CRATER_MANY = 18

3 hours ago, Maharin said:

So... why is NitroGen so much faster than the built-in generator?  I can generate a 16k x 16k map in NitroGen in 5.5 minutes on my not-the-fastest computer.  It takes that long to do a 4k x 4k in the built-in generator.  /boggle

On 4/8/2019 at 11:55 AM, Damocles said:

@Bhaaltazar, thanks for the feedback, that everything worked correctly.

Its a different approach how to generate the world, than the included RWG. It gives me more control about the look of the landscape, and placement of specific settlement types (cities, towns, farms, trailer parks, mountains huts). I could easily add a grand canyon type landscape, or volcanos, or a south asian limestone mountains + blue sea type of area. (If there where the biomes and water for that)

The noise-map based approach of the vanilla RWG turns out to be very hard to handle. Its a tad too random for deliberate landscapes. The noise function based type of terrain generation works better for very large random worlds (flight sim, space sim), not so much for relatively small areas traversed in first person.

h0tr0d

h0tr0d

6 hours ago, Morkilimus said:

GEN_CRATER_BASE = 5
GEN_CRATER_MANY = 18

h0tr0d

h0tr0d

6 hours ago, Morkilimus said: