Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

I can put two turrets down and shoot a third myself, or use a firearm, Intellect is quite capable. Not to mention stun baton.

Do the turrets have 360 rotation? If not then you need to address some other things...

Like Vs an ordinary strength build wherein the player has full degree flexibility, those turrents would require choke points, which in turn requires planning and block placement.

Great at homebase, or killbase, not so good when out in POIs and you get sprung on...

(Some may mention POI doorways as organic chokepoints but there may be serious trouble if the junk turrent noise attracts a wandering horde.)

Also strength taking on a bunch of zombies is quite a different story to a player using a limited charge stun baton against the same gang of zombies.

I won't assume, but instead ask - is the stun baton low damage but high incapacity? If yes there's another consideration for when you get gang-banged.

losing valuable stuff should have some consequences.

like some people blowing up their own gyros :) (oooops)

I get what you are saying but javelins are not as disposable as arrows are. You wouldn't throw a valuable purple item if you didn't know you were going to retrieve it. So if you did get a valuable purple Javelin you probably won't throw it at all and use it's intended function.

again, adding words. never said unplayable. that is how trolling starts. changing or trying to imply what isnt there.

they are stating EACH is playable as a pure class. listen to his videos. and if one class cant fare as well as another but in different ways. then they arent balanced. balancing is part of what they are doing. and they are trying to move away from being pushed into the int tree. which is why weapons can be crafted under their primary stat. Int is mid game or better. I can play with that and probably will. if they do want Int as a viable stand alone tree as the others are better equipped to do, then they need to reevaluate it.

again, this is only based on the glimpses of what the tree is like based on his videos. you get exp boost for electrical kills. but only at level 3 of the perk. stuff like that. most are mid game or better. and we need some of that. but that doesnt make it a viable build on its own from the start as the others are.

now again. I dont mind Int being an auxillary tree. but if that is the case, then they just need to say so instead of the other way they are presenting it.

Ok Blake.

Pure builds are useless anyway.

A pure agility build can run without getting tired and jump 3m high, a pure perception build can shoot with deadly precision and find the best loot, a pure strength build hits so hard that the zombies fly through the air and he is a human mole and a pure fortitude build is a walking tank with self-healing powers. But everyone of them would have to walk on foot for the entire game because they could not even build a bicycle. At least not without finding all the parts. :)

My point is: a pure INT can do absolutely nothing. Bad for close combat because of the time placing turrets and you can be easily overrunned. Bad for masses if you don't bottleneck them. Bad for hordes because you can be overrunned and the batton isn't enough. Bad overall for a lot of POIs because of the reasons above. Non flexible static firepower without even being the best dps build. Int needs to be doable as a standalone build, like most rpgs. Right now it is not. Sure, every pure build has its weaknesses, but also its strenghts. Int has only weaknesses and no edge against the other attributes.

Turrets are a liability. Turrets are at the same level as the explosives, but int does not have a firearm. #intsuxazz

My point is: a pure INT can do absolutely nothing. Bad for close combat because of the time placing turrets and you can be easily overrunned. Bad for masses if you don't bottleneck them. Bad for hordes because you can be overrunned and the batton isn't enough. Bad overall for a lot of POIs because of the reasons above. Non flexible static firepower without even being the best dps build. Int needs to be doable as a standalone build, like most rpgs. Right now it is not. Sure, every pure build has its weaknesses, but also its strenghts. Int has only weaknesses and no edge against the other attributes.

Turrets are a liability. Turrets are at the same level as the explosives, but int does not have a firearm. #intsuxazz

I made the same points above and then saw you make them here.

You have a legitimate argument. But it's all a game of psychology here. You know that fair criticism = trolling right?

*sigh*

again, adding words. never said unplayable. that is how trolling starts. changing or trying to imply what isnt there.

they are stating EACH is playable as a pure class. listen to his videos. and if one class cant fare as well as another but in different ways. then they arent balanced. balancing is part of what they are doing. and they are trying to move away from being pushed into the int tree. which is why weapons can be crafted under their primary stat. Int is mid game or better. I can play with that and probably will. if they do want Int as a viable stand alone tree as the others are better equipped to do, then they need to reevaluate it.

again, this is only based on the glimpses of what the tree is like based on his videos. you get exp boost for electrical kills. but only at level 3 of the perk. stuff like that. most are mid game or better. and we need some of that. but that doesnt make it a viable build on its own from the start as the others are.

now again. I dont mind Int being an auxillary tree. but if that is the case, then they just need to say so instead of the other way they are presenting it.

Asymmetrical is not the same things as being unbalanced. The int. build has its own set of challenges (ie weaknesses compared to other builds) but it has strengths as well that make it fun to play. Some people won't find the fun of playing intelligence build and will want to keep it as an auxiliary build to another main build which is fine.

If they remove all the weaknesses to make intelligence strong in the same ways that the other builds are strong then you are going to have the same play experience no matter what you choose and that would be sad.

Again: Assuming I still have a hand free while 1-3 turrets are blasting the enemy I don't even see how an INT guy could suck at fighting. He can use any other weapon, put down traps or blocks, run around and evade zombies or do melee and ADDITIONALLY his turrets do continuous damage with the cheapest ammo available (on par with arrows).

All points of yours are fine as questions for clarification. Is "Right now it is not." a question too?

Asymmetrical is not the same things as being unbalanced. The int. build has its own set of challenges (ie weaknesses compared to other builds) but it has strengths as well that make it fun to play. Some people won't find the fun of playing intelligence build and will want to keep it as an auxiliary build to another main build which is fine.

If they remove all the weaknesses to make intelligence strong in the same ways that the other builds are strong then you are going to have the same play experience no matter what you choose and that would be sad.

that is why I said auxiliary. it is good to get into mid game or further. from the play thorughs, it seems even MM's playstyles have gone that route.

from that I have seen, I will probably got agil/int myself with tiny picks from other stats

Again: Assuming I still have a hand free while 1-3 turrets are blasting the enemy I don't even see how an INT guy could suck at fighting. He can use any other weapon, put down traps or blocks, run around and evade zombies or do melee and ADDITIONALLY his turrets do continuous damage with the cheapest ammo available (on par with arrows).

All points of yours are fine as questions for clarification. Is "Right now it is not." a question too?

Edit: Pure build argument. You are talking mixed build argument.

Le'ts wait and see.

Oh here lets give you 3 spears because we're incompetent designers? The issue is its a horrible design. What happens when he lost the third spear?

Yeah, if an experienced player can throw a spear into a field 20m away or in a cluttered room and lose it forever, that's a problem that needs to be addressed directly. My idea was more a second layer of defense, geared towards noobs who might be careless with their spears, and to make players slightly less suicidal in trying to retrieve spears from dangerous situations.

From what I understand historically(Not particular knowledgeable), spears were considered a more disposable weapon then say, swords, and it might be cool to see that reflected in the mechanics of the game.

INT was first advertised as the perk tree for people with two left hends or without shooter reflexes who like to be more of a support type player. Fighting is not their primary mode and not their strong point.

LOL

I was never trying to make this a "big deal", but rather something that might need some attention.

INT might have been advertised as a support build at first, but then the topic of "every build is possible without multi-class perking" came up after. So I guess we just need to know which is it? I don't care either way, I just want to know as I mainly play solo.

Loc

LOL

I was never trying to make this a "big deal", but rather something that might need some attention.

INT might have been advertised as a support build at first, but then the topic of "every build is possible without multi-class perking" came up after. So I guess we just need to know which is it? I don't care either way, I just want to know as I mainly play solo.

Loc

I dont think i will like int because if i understand correctly many of the perks grant things like vehicles/workbenches you can find schematics for. Not only would it be a waste of points but its also less fun than finding the schematics.

Setting up the turrets and then going into close combat may not be a good idea. Otherwise you risk being shot if they are as accurate as the shotgun turrets. :)

LOL

Loc

If we consider someone more into building towers of defense and crafting as a method to do less scavenging and more getting stuff by trading, then an INT build might be the natural fit for that type of player even in SP.

I can't imagine the INT player be excellent at scavening POIs. He has to have some drawbacks and scavenging is logical because his strenght (getting recipes easier) is able to fix exactly that.

Let's put a bouncing glowing question mark above the thrown spear. We can have fireworks go off every five minutes and if not found within 30 minutes in-game, we can have giant hand point at it for us and then grab us and set up next to it.

If that idea doesn't pan out, we could just decide how far we want to throw a spear and realize that we might risk temporarily losing it until we find it later after the battle. Maybe it would poke our foot and make us bleed if we accidentally walk over the spear.

Damn, I'd make a mighty fine game developer.

From what I understand historically(Not particular knowledgeable), spears were considered a more disposable weapon then say, swords, and it might be cool to see that reflected in the mechanics of the game.

But then spears can't have mods since you would loose the mods as well. You might change the spear to be a spear box/quiver. The box has the quality attribute and the mods installed, the spears are disposable like arrows

Archived