Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Lol I don't think that was MM but either way no I was talking about the pool table and some other things lol. Did I miss somewhere in the 1000s of pages about these things being added? Now only if you could actually play :)

Hmm, did you just win Roland's secret code words? A playable pool table would be amazing!

physician is auxillary adventurer is auxillary, workstations. need em, but easily found. auxillary. traps, love them, but still auxillary chems, see physician. vehicles, nice for carry and travel, but that is auxillary. this are all on the crafting and story type situations but dont do the same as...

do extra damage, hit easier, use your weapons better. survival stuff.

You don't want to pick Intellect.

It has a large array of bonuses but you are looking for straight up DPS or armor. That's fine. There are 4 other attributes.

Only way that would make sense would be to pop heads with one shot, regardless of perks or damage the gun does. I miss Alpha 16 where I could have a wandering horde following me, line them up, and pop one head after the other. Now it takes several head shots with guns to kill zombies and well... They're zombies. In every movie or tv show, one shot to the head is a zombie kill and I want that back. It doesn't make sense other wise.

I don't think so, guns were trash back then and it took 5 pistol shots to kill a weak zed.

I like the new int. I dont like the way it is being presented. we need auxiliary stuff. this isnt the type of game that the I win button is a pure build, or at least it shouldn't be.

there are alot of things from other trees that are very helpful. needed. maybe not early on, but as MM noticed in a longer play run, he noticed the difference and need for other things. the comments like I didnt get enough mining done to get what I needed, and others show this to be true.

Intel seems to be the best for auxillary. there are probably drugs that give temp boosts to mining via stamina boost, running via stam regen, targeting via a perc boost. so as auxiliary, it is great.

The schematics allow us to get tiny branch outs, and that is a good design for this as well. To me, I guess it was the presentation of all stats can be a viable pure class is what irks me. imo there are 4 viable builds and an auxiliary tree. in SP. in MP, intel can probably be a viable build as you have others to take the other roles for survival

I like the new int. I dont like the way it is being presented. we need auxiliary stuff. this isnt the type of game that the I win button is a pure build, or at least it shouldn't be.

there are alot of things from other trees that are very helpful. needed. maybe not early on, but as MM noticed in a longer play run, he noticed the difference and need for other things. the comments like I didnt get enough mining done to get what I needed, and others show this to be true.

Intel seems to be the best for auxillary. there are probably drugs that give temp boosts to mining via stamina boost, running via stam regen, targeting via a perc boost. so as auxiliary, it is great.

The schematics allow us to get tiny branch outs, and that is a good design for this as well. To me, I guess it was the presentation of all stats can be a viable pure class is what irks me. imo there are 4 viable builds and an auxiliary tree. in SP. in MP, intel can probably be a viable build. you have others to take the other roles for survival

Yeah same here i'm more of a intulet build but all of the new Perks and gear looks cool

The schematics allow us to get tiny branch outs, and that is a good design for this as well. To me, I guess it was the presentation of all stats can be a viable pure class is what irks me. imo there are 4 viable builds and an auxiliary tree. in SP. in MP, intel can probably be a viable build. you have others to take the other roles for survival

I get what you are saying and you might be right. But to use an example that he comments and says "I did get enough mining done" is it all because of the build that it shows or is it because of other reasons? He might of spent more time exploring when he should of been mining or other things. Not sure we have enough to go on yet to pin point that it is because of the build or not.

- - - Updated - - -

Why don't we all try the INT build ourselves and then we talk about it?

Exactly. I'm sure if some things get seen they might get balanced some more before the release. What doesn't get worked on might get some more love in other updates. By then they will have other inputs to go off on as well.

Why don't we all try the INT build ourselves and then we talk about it?

mostly because he is balancing the builds and testing them NOW before release. he shows us what is happening, and we can comment on it. He then makes his decision based on our input and his experience. in this stage, some of our ideas can and have been implemented. some of our concerns have been addressed. so Now is the time to comment and give feedback before experimental so we dont report things as bugs that are actually intended

edit: I am trying to not use any inflammatory words for the most part because I actually want the discourse. I don't want MM to get upset and go "well, perhaps I will stop showing videos if all I get are complaints." I want him to show us, but also would like for him to listen to our concerns. and for the most part he has. at other times there is too much background info for him to give a short answer . We will see how this goes

mostly because he is balancing the builds and testing them NOW before release. he shows us what is happening, and we can comment on it. He then makes his decision based on our input and his experience. in this stage, some of our ideas can and have been implemented. some of our concerns have been addressed. so Now is the time to comment and give feedback before experimental so we dont report things as bugs that are actually intended

edit: I am trying to not use any inflammatory words for the most part because I actually want the discourse. I don't want MM to get upset and go "well, perhaps I will stop showing videos if all I get are complaints." I want him to show us, but also would like for him to listen to our concerns. and for the most part he has. at other times there is too much background info for him to give a short answer . We will see how this goes

But that is what experimental is for, we try it ourselves and we submit complains about everything that we find (in our opinion) wrong.

Then they cook a couple of new experimental builds depending on how they feel about their game, then when the build is al dente they launch Stable Branch.

We can't be making 100 posts just talking about something we don't know how it plays yet. We'll drive them crazy :director:

Is the issue aesthetics? In A17 three of the same weapon with the same stats isn't going to help you any more than just having one.

Oh here lets give you 3 spears because we're incompetent designers? The issue is its a horrible design. What happens when he lost the third spear?

I miss Alpha 16 where I could have a wandering horde following me, line them up, and pop one head after the other.

I'm pretty sure TFP would rather you have be able to actually aim at moving targets now rather than line up and pop shot trash AI straight pathing zeds lol.

We can't be making 100 posts just talking about something we don't know how it plays yet. We'll drive them crazy :director:

But we ARE SEEING how the builds are being played and we are trying to discuss things early so they have time to at least think about what we are getting at. We aren't grabbing pitchforks (yet :p). We're just putting the ideas forth based on the videos we've seen thus far. I don't see the problem. The "wait until you play it" excuse is getting old when there are glaring things that anyone can see.

Loc

Now that we have spears we need a Ballista to fire them :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29135[/ATTACH]

This was always my dream, @Madmole would this be feasible? put it like a turret but shoot manually? Let it be a lethal shot for all Zombie, which takes time to load so as not to give much advantage

We are talking about A19 of course

But we ARE SEEING how the builds are being played and we are trying to discuss things early so they have time to at least think about what we are getting at. We aren't grabbing pitchforks (yet :p). We're just putting the ideas forth based on the videos we've seen thus far. I don't see the problem. The "wait until you play it" excuse is getting old when there are glaring things that anyone can see.

Loc

I mean...everyone can do as they please! I'll be in silence watching you talk about things you don't know, although is a little bit cringe.

- - - Updated - - -

we drive them crazy asking questions, we drive them crazy asking for videos, players will drive devs crazy period. that is the type of relationship that is naturally created. yourself included.

I agree, but some people need to know when to stop.

Yeaah...... I'm doubting this stuff a bit. Just listen to yourself. "Turrets this, turrets that"... "Idk if turrets are properly balanced"..... mmm. Ok. There's an attribute called "turrets" and then some bland bunch of schematics called "craftmanship perks" . Not a valid build. To be valid I would join advanced engineering together with grease monkey and add an additional perk for (guns-in-general) repairs once you get the "bad mods" in. An INT guy should repair on spot once perked up. And even then. INT would still be pretty bland. Just a "no hands on a18" review, but I can feel it clearly after almost 5 hours of footage coming from the Mole itself.

INT needs 3 turrets doing 80 points top damage , in other words, they need to surpass strenght build by at least 100% due to INT lacking in every other aspect and being a slow learning attr. An INT guy is always better than any Strenght guy in firepower. Just watch the last episode of Breaking Bad .

Edit: I will reserve any further judgement until a18 releases, but even if turret stuff pans out with only two of them, I think I can feel the pure INT build being lesser than, say, Strenght, which is better designed overall with less perks and more meaningfulness. INT Craftmanship perks are like the console DM . They would have to be joined and really meaningful for me to perk into them ever.

Just LOL.

It looks like these are probably the replacement...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29133[/ATTACH]

Either way, I like the splash of reddish brown. It matches the palette nicely. The old, nearly black one probably would have been good for wasteland and burnt forest only.

That's it.

Its OK for the INT guy to be weaker in combat, as his other perks are the good stuff.

TBH The int guy will own all, because its 3 guns against one. Two turrets tossed on the ground plus one in his hand, or a rocket launcher or whatever he wants to use? Its 3 vs 1, He probably does at least 1800 DPS.

I liked a17 and knew it was a work in progress build sense all the overhauled stuff happened. POI structures looked good and the questing system was a good idea. Like you said a few months back a17 was just the framework and a18 will fill in the content.

Keep it up you might be off the naughty list soon :)

Archived