Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

It's great to hear they are still in the game. They do look pretty cool.

But what isn't cool are these, imo. :p Are these dreaded things still in the game? :p (No offense, but these are the bane of my aesthetic-chasing existence. Lol (Note: Take this post with a lighthearted manner :) )

7QW9L9j.jpg

Scrub. Must. Die!

(mind you, they are easy wood early on, and at least there's no collision anymore.)

Still, Scrub. MUST. Die!

:)

but could anyone explain the Part is the Update that "+ When wounded, zombies will randomly speed up for a short time" im kind of confused on that like do they run or just speed up?

Only the developers and the test players know exactly how much of the speed increase is, but it's supposed to be not as fast as sprinting and will only last a few seconds.

I'm saying that while every attribute *does* have means to do damage, not all of them *must* be equal in raw DPS.

Intellect gets you physician, barter, adventurer, all the workstations, all the traps, mines, chems, vehicles...

If you do not value any of this then yes, the Int attribute is not for you. That's fine. There are 4 other attributes.

Git gud always helps but Intellect does have a lot going for it.

You have never seen what 3 turrets with mods and high perk level can do so I'll just nod and smile. =P

sorry gazz but you are wrong.

physician is auxillary adventurer is auxillary, workstations. need em, but easily found. auxillary. traps, love them, but still auxillary chems, see physician. vehicles, nice for carry and travel, but that is auxillary. this are all on the crafting and story type situations but dont do the same as...

do extra damage, hit easier, use your weapons better. survival stuff. Intel helps alot with all the side items. crafting, travel, healing is the one survival aspect so far. but on horde night. not as much. for clearing poi's, not as much. and you yourself said

"You have never seen what 3 turrets with mods and high perk level"

high level. so low to mid level doesnt sound as viable. and that is what we are asking. Not can we be gods, not can we be op. But viable at low to mid level when dealing with hordes. because that is what kills most people.

now, I am watching madmole play through and see what he comes up with. and I haven't played A18 yet. so we will see during experimental.

Can spears be tied to a rope? In the end, it can work like a cat hook, only unlike a cat hook we will pull the rope and pick up the spear.

It sounds like a good idea, but in reality it would never work. When you pull the rope, the spear would catch on every bush, stick, and rock on the ground. This is why we never see indigenous peoples doing this. The concept is mainly for water where you there is less of that stuff going on... harpoons, spear guns and the like.

sorry gazz but you are wrong.

physician is auxillary adventurer is auxillary, workstations. need em, but easily found. auxillary. traps, love them, but still auxillary chems, see physician. vehicles, nice for carry and travel, but that is auxillary. this are all on the crafting and story type situations but dont do the same as...

do extra damage, hit easier, use your weapons better. survival stuff. Intel helps alot with all the side items. crafting, travel, healing is the one survival aspect so far. but on horde night. not as much. for clearing poi's, not as much. and you yourself said

"You have never seen what 3 turrets with mods and high perk level"

high level. so low to mid level doesnt sound as viavle. and that is what we are asking. Not can we be gods, not can we be op. But viable at low to mid level when dealing with hordes. because that is what kills most people.

now, I am watching madmole play through and see what he comes up with. and I havent played A18 yet. so we will see during experimental.

Advocating the devil: "not gods, not op", but auto horde killer for low level? Damaging them so much that killing them on low level is no effort?

Just wondering (not knowing what damage a /normal/ turret does as does no1) what the request actually is?

Cheers

but could anyone explain the Part is the Update that "+ When wounded, zombies will randomly speed up for a short time" im kind of confused on that like do they run or just speed up?

It's been described as more of a lurch than a run. Something to throw off your timing of their walk pattern and close the distance by a couple of steps.

On a side note. During the whole "conventional Ralston" thing I honestly thought we were getting climbing equipment or rappeling gear, perhaps even the fabled zipline. Right name, wrong mechanic. :-)

Advocating the devil: "not gods, not op", but auto horde killer for low level? Damaging them so much that killing them on low level is no effort?

Just wondering (not knowing what damage a /normal/ turret does as does no1) what the request actually is?

Cheers

who said with no problem or effort. who said easy? dont add words that arent there

who said with no problem, dont add words that arent there

I just wondered what you want it to be then. And on what turrets you are basing that request. Its a genuine wonder. Not a snark.

Cheers

-edit- to be more clear: you make it sound that unlocking a turret without any high level perks are useless low/mid game. I wonder why and what should change.

I just wondered what you want it to be then. And on what turrets you are basing that request. Its a genuine wonder. Not a snark.

Cheers

look at his turret tree. most of the stuff is mid level or higher when it comes to combat and survival. where as other stat trees have low level on up. The lower level stuff seems to be social and marketting. in a survival game while nice, does not actually help survive the greatest threat as the other "trees" do.

ints weapons are stun baton and turrets. I see some turret love by perking at high level perks. I saw nothing for the baton. that has me concerened when all other stats have perked both melee and range, and personal defense. speed, agility, def, toughness. int's medicine can be seen as doing something similar. but not until you get a chem station, so they get it mid to higher level.

the viability of a stat that kicks in at mid level? doesnt sound as balanced as stats trees that go right off the ground.

I guess as the Int guy you have to play smart. =P

But this must also be supported by the game.

For example if I build a base with traps as an intelligence player then I must be able to predict where the zombies will run. The traps can't come to the zombies, the zombies have to come to the traps.

I've seen this a lot all over A17 and before. Players "must" have perks because they are not vastly OP quickly enough.

IMO it's completely possible to work with unperked weapons and tools. They are not nearly as bad as some players make them out to be.

If you've ever been chased by a horde of radioactive zombies, you'll be heartily grateful for the Run and Gun perk.

look at his turret tree. most of the stuff is mid level or higher when it comes to combat and survival. where as other stat trees have low level on up. The lower level stuff seems to be social and marketting. in a survival game while nice, does not actually help survive the greatest threat as the other "trees" do.

ints weapons are stun baton and turrets. I see some turret love by perking at high level perks. I saw nothing for the baton. that has me concerened when all other stats have perked both melee and range, and personal defense. speed, agility, def, toughness. int's medicine can be seen as doing something similar. but not until you get a chem station, so they get it mid to higher level.

the viability of a stat that kicks in at mid level? doesnt sound as balanced as stats trees that go right off the ground.

Aaah now i get what you mean. In theory that sounds like a legit concern. Exept that apart from the perks, mods can be found from day 1 and used low/mid game. Maybe rng is part of that balance. Dunno.

Cheers

Cheers

You, sir, have just won the 'Fallacy of the Week Award,' for your most excellent use of the 'Appeal to Extremes.'🏅

Congratulations to you (and that devil you invoked) 😁

Well maybe, just maybe, we should wait to discuss "tree balancing" for when we have actually played A18. I mean you never needed any damage perks for normal zombies, and since your concerns are early/mid game... well, you can still use all the same weapons, you just don't get +x% damage from perks and what not. Hardly unplayable.

As a side note, there's 5 trees, that doesn't mean all of them need to be playable as pure classes and fare just as well as all of the other ones. Maybe Int will be a niche/filler tree and not a main tree, which, quite frankly, doesn't bother me given how A17 pushed you to spend most of your points into Int to unlock all the content.

Well maybe, just maybe, we should wait to discuss "tree balancing" for when we have actually played A18. I mean you never needed any damage perks for normal zombies, and since your concerns are early/mid game... well, you can still use all the same weapons, you just don't get +x% damage from perks and what not. Hardly unplayable.

As a side note, there's 5 trees, that doesn't mean all of them need to be playable as pure classes and fare just as well as all of the other ones. Maybe Int will be a niche/filler tree and not a main tree, which, quite frankly, doesn't bother me given how A17 pushed you to spend most of your points into Int to unlock all the content.

again, adding words. never said unplayable. that is how trolling starts. changing or trying to imply what isnt there.

they are stating EACH is playable as a pure class. listen to his videos. and if one class cant fare as well as another but in different ways. then they arent balanced. balancing is part of what they are doing. and they are trying to move away from being pushed into the int tree. which is why weapons can be crafted under their primary stat. Int is mid game or better. I can play with that and probably will. if they do want Int as a viable stand alone tree as the others are better equipped to do, then they need to reevaluate it.

again, this is only based on the glimpses of what the tree is like based on his videos. you get exp boost for electrical kills. but only at level 3 of the perk. stuff like that. most are mid game or better. and we need some of that. but that doesnt make it a viable build on its own from the start as the others are.

now again. I dont mind Int being an auxillary tree. but if that is the case, then they just need to say so instead of the other way they are presenting it.

This. But this all revolves around IF they are balancing things in a way that each “class” can manage without perking into other classes. I mean, if that’s the goal, why is MM perking into other classes at all?

One of my main concerns with this whole thing is that MM’s fortitude build with the mining skills (I think that’s the right one) had trouble keeping up with how much ammunition was needed for hoard nights. So without the mining skills, where does that leave the other classes? I’m assuming all of MM’s play throughs have been mixed builds, which goes against the implications of single specialized classes imo.

Again, this is only a concern if they are promoting single class play as balanced.

Edit: another point - can turret ammunition be found in loot?

Edit: another point - do the three turrets stack or is that three inventory slots one would have to give up? Not to mention placement time.

Loc

Archived