Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

that seems to be my take. int seems to be auxiliary and not an actual build. I am ok with that. just wasnt as advertised as each being a viable build on their own

Nonsense, all builds are viable. If I can't whoop ass once I get a good turret and some perks, then I'll edit it until I can. I just haven't got that far yet.

Neither is a glowing outline really. Pay attention to what you're doing and it will be fine. Get off your ass and go find it, as you're fond of saying. :)

Alternately, add a mod that creates a small flashing strobe on the spear for easier visual tracking. Would be helpful while chasing wounded game as well.

Yeah burning shaft would do the trick. I've lost 3, they could be buggy and some weird use case where they flat out disappear.

Seems like the perfect thing to be determined by a perception perk.

Another option I see is to make spears appear in loot in groups of 2-3 at the same quality level and tier, so if you lose one, it's not as much of an issue. I know one of the core ideas of A18 is to give each attribute a set of weapons that craft and loot similarly, but how strict are you aiming for the build to adhere to that guideline?

What no that is a horrible idea, we're not handing out 3 spears lol. We'll add a subtle glow shader like every other game or try stuff until it seems solved.

What no that is a horrible idea, we're not handing out 3 spears lol. We'll add a subtle glow shader like every other game or try stuff until it seems solved.

It could work if balanced correctly. It's just one option to address the issue of losing an item you may have heavily invested in.

Technically the bow is the same mechanic but with a twist (you cant melee with a bow 😅)

i've been asking for that, but they said the code isnt working for that yet. they can be placed, but throws off the targetting

Cool - maybe a 18.x or 19/20 thing then. A follow on question then for fataal - will zeds specifically target junk turrets or ignore them?

Cheers

Edit: just read MM’s response - that makes sense, no worries. Maybe add targeting for zeds - a little like Division 2 where the heavies actively trash your turrets - have to balance the loss though with mods etc

Is the issue aesthetics? In A17 three of the same weapon with the same stats isn't going to help you any more than just having one.

Nonsense, all builds are viable. If I can't whoop ass once I get a good turret and some perks, then I'll edit it until I can. I just haven't got that far yet.

Yeaah...... I'm doubting this stuff a bit. Just listen to yourself. "Turrets this, turrets that"... "Idk if turrets are properly balanced"..... mmm. Ok. There's an attribute called "turrets" and then some bland bunch of schematics called "craftmanship perks" . Not a valid build. To be valid I would join advanced engineering together with grease monkey and add an additional perk for (guns-in-general) repairs once you get the "bad mods" in. An INT guy should repair on spot once perked up. And even then. INT would still be pretty bland. Just a "no hands on a18" review, but I can feel it clearly after almost 5 hours of footage coming from the Mole itself.

INT needs 3 turrets doing 80 points top damage , in other words, they need to surpass strenght build by at least 100% due to INT lacking in every other aspect and being a slow learning attr. An INT guy is always better than any Strenght guy in firepower. Just watch the last episode of Breaking Bad .

Edit: I will reserve any further judgement until a18 releases, but even if turret stuff pans out with only two of them, I think I can feel the pure INT build being lesser than, say, Strenght, which is better designed overall with less perks and more meaningfulness. INT Craftmanship perks are like the console DM . They would have to be joined and really meaningful for me to perk into them ever.

Question for Faatal:

Any A.I tweaks up your sleeve for a18 to thwart the kiting hordes into a tight circle and motoving them?

No. They are zombies and animals. I would not expect them to yell "molotov" and scatter. Now when bandits get in, I would expect them to spread out, flank, take cover.

going gold means basically the end of dev for this game :( don't say the gold word lol. just joking but for real. I do not understand why people think going gold changes anything.

If the word offends anyone, maybe we can call it the G-spot?

Is the goal that all five builds should be pretty equal?

If that’s the case, it doesn’t sound like INT is in line with the other builds if it isn’t viable until three weeks in.

I don't know where the 3 weeks figure is coming from but not every attribute has to be "equal" at every moment. Right now they are designed quite specifically to not do that.

True equality is only possible if you make every build work exactly the same way, same kind of perks with different names.

INT needs 3 turrets doing 80 points top damage , in other words, they need to surpass strenght build by at least 100% due to INT lacking in every other aspect and being a slow learning attr.

80 damage per duck? I'm thinking more 67 ducks per spoon.

I don't think you have been playing A18 long enough to balance it that accurately with fantasy values.

Sure. Today I fixed (again) one of my last 2 must fix bugs:

Fixed SDTD-10358 Hatch can be used to push your way through walls (simplified and reduced range of obstacle check).

wait, so the hatch elevator gone for A18 or is this another bug? Not that I'm against fixing bug, but that a fun one.

Cool - maybe a 18.x or 19/20 thing then. A follow on question then for fataal - will zeds specifically target junk turrets or ignore them?

Cheers

Edit: just read MM’s response - that makes sense, no worries. Maybe add targeting for zeds - a little like Division 2 where the heavies actively trash your turrets - have to balance the loss though with mods etc

The AI currently has no knowledge of turrets.

wait, so the hatch elevator gone for A18 or is this another bug? Not that I'm against fixing bug, but that a fun one.

The previous fix for that bug stopped the hatch elevator bug, but testers found another way to get pushed into walls, so I fixed it again.

I don't know where the 3 weeks figure is coming from but not every attribute has to be "equal" at every moment. Right now they are designed quite specifically to not do that.

True equality is only possible if you make every build work exactly the same way, same kind of perks with different names.

Three weeks was coming from Madmole saying he wasn’t going to put points into INT until “around level 30-40”, so even then, my time frame is probably too soon (I’m guessing?). My point is that we were given the impression that all “builds” were viable without having to put points into other skill trees, but on his play through that’s obviously not the case. I would expect they should all be able to “come online” right from the start IF they are able to played without perking into other skill trees. It’s not really a big deal, but it’s something worth noting.

Thanks for acknowledging it and responding Gazz. :smile-new:

Loc

Archived