Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Is the goal that all five builds should be pretty equal?

If that’s the case, it doesn’t sound like INT is in line with the other builds if it isn’t viable until three weeks in. At least that’s what I’m understanding from your post. Hopefully that can be balanced better because I really want to try out that build first.

Loc

Use whatever firearms you can until you get 6 ranks. You can use them right away, but the perk cost is high otherwise everyone will have a trusty sidekick junk turret. So this one you have to pay a lot to get started in. Guns are plenty decent without perks, quality adds damage and random stats are nice. So you don't need to perk guns to be successful, but it really pays off later game if you do.

So use what you have, and start investing into INT and by the time you are INT 6 or 7 you'll start finding better turrets and whatnot. The stun baton you can start perking into with low intellect right away, and junk turrets aren't horrible without perks, but they get pretty beast maxed out.

I honestly like Intelligence being not viable early, the average person will only need average things from it, but for those who invest get fairly powerful things. especially if you can't aim, just have game ai do it for you (junk turret). you can even place it at the entrance of a dungeon your crawling to watch your back while you clear it out, protecting you from roamer, and maybe an opposing player from sneaking up on you. So I like that you have to invest hard to get use out of it

Also super corn. does that exist yet or is that still even a thing

Use whatever firearms you can until you get 6 ranks. You can use them right away, but the perk cost is high otherwise everyone will have a trusty sidekick junk turret. So this one you have to pay a lot to get started in. Guns are plenty decent without perks, quality adds damage and random stats are nice. So you don't need to perk guns to be successful, but it really pays off later game if you do.

So use what you have, and start investing into INT and by the time you are INT 6 or 7 you'll start finding better turrets and whatnot. The stun baton you can start perking into with low intellect right away, and junk turrets aren't horrible without perks, but they get pretty beast maxed out.

That clears it up a bit better. Is the max amount of turrets two?

Thanks Madmole!

Loc

I lost a couple spears already, we're going to have to add a glow shader or people will be crying a river. Mine were just Q3 with no mods, but still I'm out and have to find another one before I can melee again. Using up ammo in the meantime.

Is there anyway to code the spear so it returns to your inventory after a short period of time like 30 seconds or so?

I honestly like Intelligence being not viable early, the average person will only need average things from it, but for those who invest get fairly powerful things. especially if you can't aim, just have game ai do it for you (junk turret). you can even place it at the entrance of a dungeon your crawling to watch your back while you clear it out, protecting you from roamer, and maybe an opposing player from sneaking up on you. So I like that you have to invest hard to get use out of it

Its in the game, but probably not good for much.

Just ran into a Carl's corn yesterday. In A17, it still is. I finally got leveled up high enough to craft seeds and utilize it. It's a bit of an "odd" thing and doesn't really serve much purpose yet, but it was really cool to run into. I don't know what the end vision is though.

Hard to say, I'm not even using int stuff tbh other than workstations. You have to be INT 6 to start perking into tasers and turrets so I'm focusing on perception and will add that stuff in later, around level 30 to 40, after I have perception tricked out. I can't spread myself too thin or my combat will suck bad, so I need to get perception jacked up and buy a lot of those perks first, then I'll do int for the later game to turret XP and all the electric doors and stuff.

I lost a couple spears already, we're going to have to add a glow shader or people will be crying a river. Mine were just Q3 with no mods, but still I'm out and have to find another one before I can melee again. Using up ammo in the meantime.

I'm going to make a bunch of pipe bombs and start tossing them around a bit to see how they feel, but I won't be kicking ass until I get the contact grenades IMO. I bought the first rank of the sniper rifle perk so thats a bit better.

So in a way, and I'm not baiting you, are you saying an int build isn't feasible early on? Or was it just a choice?

- - - Updated - - -

I'd hate to make the common use case look weird just to make it tile vertically nicely, but I'll look at it and see. We have to touch them anyway to fix the blood.

Blood should be on the damaged versions only.

So in a way, and I'm not baiting you, are you saying an int build isn't feasible early on? Or was it just a choice?

- - - Updated - - -

that seems to be my take. int seems to be auxiliary and not an actual build. I am ok with that. just wasnt as advertised as each being a viable build on their own

Yes but I don't think that is a good design.

Neither is a glowing outline really. Pay attention to what you're doing and it will be fine. Get off your ass and go find it, as you're fond of saying. :)

Alternately, add a mod that creates a small flashing strobe on the spear for easier visual tracking. Would be helpful while chasing wounded game as well.

Seems like the perfect thing to be determined by a perception perk.

Another option I see is to make spears appear in loot in groups of 2-3 at the same quality level and tier, so if you lose one, it's not as much of an issue. I know one of the core ideas of A18 is to give each attribute a set of weapons that craft and loot similarly, but how strict are you aiming for the build to adhere to that guideline?

Yes but I don't think that is a good design.

Perhaps make the spear like how the bow is. Call them javelins and make them a bundle of 3. Tie all the stats to the carrying case (dmg, # of javelins, etc.) That way you can never lose the case....unless you drop it by accident on horde night. 😜

Here's example from another game.

ThpabZi.png

The thing is, not just zombies/AI do that.

It happens in this video exactly at the: 6.30 mark. He apparently clips through the floor on top of Zds corpses and teleports to the upper floor, exactly like Zds do. So players are also affected by this bug.

Would not be the same bug, since players use Unity's character controller, while AI uses Kinematic Character Controller.

THIS ^^ I always wanted this option, sometimes killing a zombie with an arrow in the knee (See what I did there?) can be a little weird. Love this idea +100000

Only way that would make sense would be to pop heads with one shot, regardless of perks or damage the gun does. I miss Alpha 16 where I could have a wandering horde following me, line them up, and pop one head after the other. Now it takes several head shots with guns to kill zombies and well... They're zombies. In every movie or tv show, one shot to the head is a zombie kill and I want that back. It doesn't make sense other wise.

- - - Updated - - -

Blood should be on the damaged versions only.

Its totally viable but best if you specialize hard and fast into ONE attribute. By level 10 you could have at least 2 ranks of turrets and a couple of electrocutioner and be kicking ass. I'm doing perception primarily though right now. The junk turrets are decent with zero perks, but don't keep up with firearms until later. They are great to watch your back at level 1 though and get knockdowns so if you double team a zombie with melee while your turret blasts him its pretty good. Later game with 2 turrets deployed, perked up, it is supposedly pretty badass. Considering its shooting scrap iron I'd say its pretty balanced.

It should be as good as an M60 because the cost is so cheap IMO. 2 turrets might be as good though, or better, hard to say I don't know.

Archived