Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Gold release. But seriously probably raging bull which was going to leverage a knockback system for normies and raging bull guys would get knockdowns and ragdolls.

Honestly, I see Strenght in a18 too meaningful and well designed. I mean, there's nothing to waste, it's one of the best builds having the less amount of perks. Fortitude and agility are ok. Intellect...

Intellect needs to join advanced engineering and grease monkey together in 1 single 5 rank perk and, in the future, it would need a meaningful perk to fill that space so turrets, barter and 2 reward for quests aren't all there are to it in terms of worthiness.

Look at us with a straight face and tell us Intellect Construction perks and Charismatic clown is really worth it compared to Sexual! Motherlode! Miner69er! Come on.

I find the INT attribute lacking at first sight. INT needs those construction perks joined together and a couple more perks. COOL ones. And then It would probably be ok that Charging bull gets a comeback to Strenght.

Edit: I forgot the puns! but I would try not to say all of this stuff outloud in the supermarket.

My skin is pretty useless as it is. SPF 10,000 is barely any help at all. :p

Also a ginger, albeit not as much as I used to be. I get it.

- - - Updated - - -

Can someone link me madmole's video where he drops his bow? thanks.

It'll be an a16 playthrough, and on a wasteland building (like he's on now), if I recall.

Every game with XP gets harder as you level, or exposes you to harder content.

Perhaps...but in the case of 7d2d looting gear is not the only way to gain XP. You guys are just making it harder on yourselves to balance the game.

Basing GS on skill/perk points spent is not much different then basing it on level. However it will make it easier for you guys to balance things and will be more intuitive. Just my 2 cents.

Edit: Only drawback is how to prevent players from not spending points and just going out and looting for ages. Perhaps the BM horde difficulty should be based on date and GS so the player would screw themselves if they dragged out not spending...lol

Edit: 4th thought probably fine the way it is lol. I just remembered in elderscrolls blades where you could forgo leveling up so the enemies wouldnt scale allowing the player to farm without increasing difficulty...it would just be the same as that if gs was tied to points spent...lol

True but going 10+ years between versions is really a disservice to fans and they themselves are leaving over a billion dollars on the table. The sweet spot is about 3-5 years for the next version of a game. Less than that and you get into money grab feeling, not enough significant change between versions, and longer than that people might move on, or someone else will take your place in the market.

So you're not happy with Half life 3's release time?

Perhaps...but in the case of 7d2d looting gear is not the only way to gain XP. You guys are just making it harder on yourselves to balance the game.

Basing GS on skill/perk points spent is not much different then basing it on level. However it will make it easier for you guys to balance things and will be more intuitive. Just my 2 cents.

Edit: Only drawback is how to prevent players from not spending points and just going out and looting for ages. Perhaps the BM horde difficulty should be based on date and GS so the player would screw themselves if they dragged out not spending...lol

Edit: 4th thought probably fine the way it is lol. I just remembered in elderscrolls blades where you could forgo leveling up so the enemies wouldnt scale allowing the player to farm without increasing difficulty...it would just be the same as that if gs was tied to points spent...lol

Low GS = crappy loot most the time, so most people will want to level. I want the harder GS hordes, its way too easy for quite some time IMO, and leveling gets so slow that you look forward to slaughtering 300+zeds to gain some fat XP.

Low GS = crappy loot most the time, so most people will want to level. I want the harder GS hordes, its way too easy for quite some time IMO, and leveling gets so slow that you look forward to slaughtering 300+zeds to gain some fat XP.

That would depend on what the player wants the game to be, as 7D2D allows for that:

-You like the shooter aspect of the game and it now sounds really fun!

-Gazz likes the survival aspect with a min-max twist in there.

-Roland likes the... hmm, I'm not sure what Roland likes about A18. Probably worried so much that Guppy is watching him play, he just cant focus enough. :)

*Roland: Honey, could you just watch out the window and make sure no-one is out there?

Wife: You're starting to sound like that Captain Kirk guy in the twilight zone. Here, take your pills...

That would depend on what the player wants the game to be, as 7D2D allows for that:

-You like the shooter aspect of the game and it now sounds really fun!

-Gazz likes the survival aspect with a min-max twist in there.

-Roland likes the... hmm, I'm not sure what Roland likes about A18. Probably worried so much that Guppy is watching him play, he just cant focus enough. :)

*Roland: Honey, could you just watch out the window and make sure no-one is out there?

Wife: You're starting to sound like that Captain Kirk guy in the twilight zone. Here, take your pills...

We already know Roland likes making a bridge and sitting underneath it waiting for people to come and jumps out screaming I'm Troll Roland. :)

Also a ginger, albeit not as much as I used to be. I get it.

- - - Updated - - -

It'll be an a16 playthrough, and on a wasteland building (like he's on now), if I recall.

Dude.. you're a ginger too?

Hope snowdog likes his redheads.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, like everyone he had some good ideas.

The problem were the other ideas they came bundled with...

Yeah. He was vegetarian and really liked dogs.

I know the system is here to stay and it isn't bad. Just out of curiosity, have you also pondered "biome staging" instead of game staging? I know, it kind of is with the wasteland in place - but what I mean is, have you considered giving each biome a separate difficulty instead of tying it to gamestage? and if yes, why did you opt for gamestage?

The advantage I see in biome staging or alike is that gamestage feels like an achievement allowing for entering more difficult biomes with better chances for high level loot. (high level loot should also be possible in easier biomes and gamestages, but with a much smaller probability ... I think)

I know, it's kind of academic and only satisfying my curiosity, so if you're in a hurry to get other stuff done, feel free to skip that question.

And sorry for grammar and spelling. My English should be better than it actually is.

Archived