Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

20 MF's its not looking too good. We'll make the official decision tomorrow. MP and RWG stuff mostly. Junk turrets disappear of a dead body dies by it, which really sucks. Thrown spears against rage zombies goes right through them, another can't ship bug. Good thing I'm doing INT Perception build. RWG 8k won't work on radeon. Some RWG maps have no trader at all, towns spawning in rad zones. We'll get it, but its too much on one guy right now. 15% this Friday chance IMO, 90% chance for Oct 4.

I sure could use a couple more weeks to polish perception/intellect too. As much as I am having fun I'd like those builds to have my stamp of approval too. No idea if they are horde viable.

I am really hoping that this is MM downplaying the hype and that the team pulls it off for this weekend.

But seriously I know you all will present the best game possible for the release of A18. Keep up the good work.

Here's something people don't talk much about here: The Dynamic Music System sounds pretty good, and I'm curious how will it play out when A18 releases. Some of the music snippets sound genuinely good, and it would be awesome if 7DTD was also known for its great soundtrack. I would love it if the DMS incorporated the track which can be heard in these official 7DTD videos:

https://youtu.be/pPQ_FE0YMhs. I love that piano.

Who's the composer for the DMS, BTW?

Ok Madmole, Todd Howard calls you up and says, "Hey Joel, I love your zumbie game and would love for you to design the next Fallout! Can you give me something right now to pitch to the guys?"

If you got the reins how would design the next Fallout?

Is there a hoe in fallout? If yes, I can predict step 1. :cocksure:

The randomness Faatal has introduced into a18 AI pathing is, if I understand correctly directly intended to counter this. Some zombies will ignore easy and simply pound their way through instead. Others will try to figure out how you got to where you are (breadcrumbs) and attempt to follow. With some being leapers now that might just mess with the cheesers enough...nah...

I've got nothin' against a little AI cheesing and don't really think it's worth it to balance against every single possibility unless it's truly broken. However, I do hope the AI is a little more unpredictable. I like when they just come en masse and throw themselves at anything in an attempt to get a bite of me. I am looking forward to Faatal's changes- sounds like he knows his stuff and has some good ideas according to his posts here.

Question for you, my geologist comrade: is the diamond still the hardest mineral? Or there is some new alloy harder than diamond?

Uh I don't actually know if there's some artificial material stronger than diamond. As far as i know diamond is the strongest natural stuff. Love is stronger of course.

<3

20 MF's its not looking too good. We'll make the official decision tomorrow. MP and RWG stuff mostly. Junk turrets disappear of a dead body dies by it, which really sucks. Thrown spears against rage zombies goes right through them, another can't ship bug. Good thing I'm doing INT Perception build. RWG 8k won't work on radeon. Some RWG maps have no trader at all, towns spawning in rad zones. We'll get it, but its too much on one guy right now. 15% this Friday chance IMO, 90% chance for Oct 4.

I sure could use a couple more weeks to polish perception/intellect too. As much as I am having fun I'd like those builds to have my stamp of approval too. No idea if they are horde viable.

Coughs *

* Coughs

" RWG 8k won't work on radeon" pretty serious bug but hey you get what you pay for when you buy AMD videocards. They are cheap for a reason. Good to hear the streaming thing might be oct 4th though.

Anyone wanna talk about farming....?

I feel I've missed something somewhere. Is this a trap? It feels like a trap. Am I getting banned for dropping an F-bomb? :-)

If memory serves the great Mole said a few days ago that TFP may have faltered a little with the new farming system. Any idea what the current plan is? Is the farming system being reworked? Is the soil/block bug being worked on? Is the system being reverted... hoe and all?

Do you want to lose your Q6 junk turret? Do you want your spear to go right through a rage zombie and then get stunned and death looped instead of being victorious? You will be the one raging lol. They are MF for a reason, they are nasty game breakers. I know the hype is real as it should be. But being patient means it will be that much sweeter when you do get it. Bugs just ruin all the hard work we put into it.

Tell you what MM. You release A18 this Friday and everyone will promise not to do the Perception or Intelligence build for two weeks........ You believe me right? :smile-new:

That is why I keep warning players, DO NOT KNEE JERK AND TURN UP THE XP RATE. You miss out on 100 upgrades you could have had or might get GS too nasty and you still have brown/orange crap and not many mods and will make it too hard for yourself. Leveling is part of the success, but the bigger part is loot and gear now.

He does have a good point though. In what other game out there penalizes the player for grinding XP? Would it make more sense to tie GS to how many skill/perk points are spent? And then have death cause a temporary debuff to GS instead?

Edit: A guy with 100 skill points spent should be more prepared for a higher GS stage imo. 😎

He does have a good point though. In what other game out there penalizes the player for grinding XP? Would it make more sense to tie GS to how many skill/perk points are spent? And then have death cause a temporary debuff to GS instead?

Edit: A guy with 100 skill points spent should be more prepared for a higher GS stage imo. 😎

Id like to try tying gamestage solely to day #. That way u can get ahead of the curve or fall behind... etc.

I mean they will probably make the best space rpg ever, but at the expense of ES and Fallout franchises sitting on the shelf. I get it, at a designer you get bored with one franchise, but IMO they could have subbed out Starfield and done ES 6. Noone would notice they didn't make Starfield because its a brand new game. But we sure notice ES6 taking 10+ years.

It's the little tid bits of wisdom like this that keep me coming back and staying with this game and development team. Keep up the great work and take your time on A18. October is a great release month :)

" RWG 8k won't work on radeon" pretty serious bug but hey you get what you pay for when you buy AMD videocards. They are cheap for a reason.

Stupid comment.

Nvidia are beyond overpriced, which only gives the appearance of AMD being cheap.

5700 XT is $800AU for perf between a 2070S/2080S depending on title.

2070S is 999 - 1150. 2080S 1249 - 1479. 2080Ti -1699 - 2299.

This is nothing but the result of greediness from NV because why not?

I paid 1150 for my 1080 when it released.

I paid 800 for my 780 when it released.

Its all got out of hand.

All platforms have issues.

Here's a "philosophical" question to ponder over: if consoles had somehow managed to keep up with the average PC's specs, then games (AAA titles, surely) would be fundamentally more advanced than they are currently. But would computer technology, and our wallets, have been able to keep up? I'm not saying that everything happens for a reason, but cost wise, maybe consoles being so far behind current PC tech is somewhat of a necessary evil. *Shrugs*

The XBOX 360 when it released was actually ahead of PC tech at the time.

The GPU had new shader functionality etc that was not available to PC at the time.

All consoles up to this point were sold at a loss to the holders (sony/ms).

Only since the move to x86-64 with the xbox 1 and PS4 were using "off the shelf" hardware, did console makers actually make profit from day 1 hardware sales.

We may see this shift begin to change because console makers simply cant keep up with hardware.

This is where new SKU's appear and will hopefully help shift the baseline (XB1 X etc).

This is also another factor that will drive SaaS platforms such as Stadia etc which in turn will push the device agnostic gaming front.

Well if SONY had remained the same company they were from the beginning then at least that console would have evolved better over time. They had a major change in leadership in the mid 2000s and went from trend setters to just another electronics company. Sad times. BUT before they fell from grace they did do something amazing, and super powerful, in the original PS3: the Cell Processor. That thing was ground-breaking, a revolution in chip architecture that I thought would be the dawn of truly potent consoles in the future. Alas it faded, and now they are just building little potato boxes again. Oh well, so, it almost happened.

But cost a lot of R&D which didnt provide the return as they hoped.

It was hard to program for, the PS3 was limited with its RAM allocation amongst other issues.

The cell was good to be in clusters for other things but for gaming, not so much.

Archived