Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

No because most AAA games are not risk taking, they just polish the lug nuts and do new locations and call it a new version. Same core game with very little change between versions.

Very true, very true. Perhaps I was mixing up my statement with another argument. *Shrugs*

As I've stated before, I go indie or I go home.

Well, in one of Todd Howard's fairly recent speeches, he informed the crowd he was speaking to, and to live broadcasting, that they want to create another decade long Elder Scrolls game. History shall repeat itself, it seems. *Shrugs*

Well I HOPE what he meant was we could enjoy it for 10 years, but hopefully won't be forced to.

Well I HOPE what he meant was we could enjoy it for 10 years, but hopefully won't be forced to.

With the dumpster heap (for a long while, at least; I haven't checked in on it in months) that was Fallout 76, and like you mentioned, the astonishingly long wait between Elder Scrolls games, it has left me with a bitter taste in my mouth... But I hope you are right.

No because most AAA games are not risk taking, they just polish the lug nuts and do new locations and call it a new version. Same core game with very little change between versions.

No one would have been able to keep up with Sony anyway, IF they kept at it with revolutionary hardware development. However that would mean certain games could only run on their machines, the xbox would not have stood a chance. The dif would have been too extreme, but instead of lifting up they toned down to Xbox level/type of hardware, and now here we are. From a dev standpoint that means more platforms, so there are pros and cons I guess. Just a huge opportunity in raising the bar, gone, they lowered it instead.

Besides, i'm almost as hyped up for Starfield then a new Singleplayer Elderscrolls.

I'll need real game play footage to get on that hype train. Like most sci fi game resort to some vibrant mushroom world (Morrowind), Outer Worlds, and that crap just turns me off. I prefer a nasty scary desolate universe like Aliens. Even doom 3 had a good vibe and art style there. Don't get me wrong, I'll probably play outer worlds, but all the neon color I don't care for, feels artificial.

I didn't have any idea what fallout was about though and previews of it looked kinda corny to me, but once I played the familiar Bethesda game mechanics I liked it a lot, so I expect the same with Starfield.

Half life 2 had pretty good alien design too, I liked how grounded it felt. Most space games go nuts with color. Like if they are inspired by Star Wars I'd be pretty happy too.

Additional menu would work great for some of the players especially during heat of the battle. Additional quick access menu reserved only for FOOD/MEDS and TORCH/FLASHLIGHT. Obviously scrolling through that menu wouldnt be possible. F1, F2, F3, F4 or any other key might activate action such as self healing/nutritioning automatically. Scrolling and confirming my selection then activating the item like bandage and medic kit is really the last thing I need while surrounded by enemies. Could You think about such solution.

access.jpg[/url]

Been watching/playing consoles and PC's for 40+ years now. I just started investing in PC's again about two years ago. The gap between consoles and PC's are starting to widen again or I wouldn't have gone back to PC. I would have lived with the lower grade graphics, etc. of Consoles. However, PC hardware is really starting to take off again and the gap will be even wider soon. The power is there (at a great cost) to be able to create some of those games that people want to create and the cost of PC hardware has come significantly down. That said, I refuse to invest in VR as I find it still in it's infancy and much can be improved still. I'm still unsure if it will ever find it's place. So far, it feels like a bunch of demos and nothing that is more than a shiny trinket that isn't worth investing in. Cycles happen and the consumer is what they have to impress. People won't stay satisfied with regurgitated FPS games for long. It's refreshing to have a game to play with such longevity as 7 Days to Die. Thanks for actually creating a living breathing world. As a loooong time gamer, I really appreciate the effort that is put into all the tiny pieces that must come together to create such a masterpiece.

Toolbelt isn't convenient enough?

- - - Updated - - -

That said, I refuse to invest in VR as I find it still in it's infancy and much can be improved still. I'm still unsure if it will ever find it's place. So far, it feels like a bunch of demos and nothing that is more than a shiny trinket that isn't worth investing in.

I went ahead and got a Rift and have thus far found the experience worth it. Sure it was a little pricey but the experiences are pretty fun and COULD have good potential. Whether it reaches it or is just another "3d tv" remains to be seen.

...biggest issue is space. If they'd all use one of those circular treadmill thingies I honestly believe it would take off better, but then once again, you're pricing it out of most people's reach.

I do get amazed people say "It's taking you 5 years and it only took 1 for <insert AAA game here> to come out!" when that's only because they don't see the 10 years prior to any kind of announcement...

Not to mention it takes longer for smaller development teams when creating a game as complex as this one with a significantly smaller budget to work with and no prior games or engines. Not saying this is a bad thing at all, its awesome to see devs like TFP creating good games as well as great communication with the player base at almost all times and not just when something goes horribly wrong.

I'll need real game play footage to get on that hype train. Like most sci fi game resort to some vibrant mushroom world (Morrowind), Outer Worlds, and that crap just turns me off. I prefer a nasty scary desolate universe like Aliens. Even doom 3 had a good vibe and art style there. Don't get me wrong, I'll probably play outer worlds, but all the neon color I don't care for, feels artificial.

I didn't have any idea what fallout was about though and previews of it looked kinda corny to me, but once I played the familiar Bethesda game mechanics I liked it a lot, so I expect the same with Starfield.

Half life 2 had pretty good alien design too, I liked how grounded it felt. Most space games go nuts with color. Like if they are inspired by Star Wars I'd be pretty happy too.

Agree, and as much as I tried I just could never, ever, get used to the look of No Mans Sky. That color pallet is just ick, and so many of their ship designs were ridiculous too. Shame.

Halflife 2, yes, that was well done. Ultimately I think a good mix would be best, some planets and environments might have bright coloring, but the default everywhere else should be more realistic and gritty. That would make bright colorful areas stand out and actually be special, instead of a constant assault on the eyes.

If you ever get to the point where you want to just do new locations and polish a lug nut with the same core game, I would absolutely love to see a 7 Days to Die sequel set on a failed Mars colony with a zombie outbreak and Oxygen issues, etc. I'd contribute to that Kickstarter... O.o

7 Days to Die: Dread Planet?

Agree, and as much as I tried I just could never, ever, get used to the look of No Mans Sky. That color pallet is just ick, and so many of their ship designs were ridiculous too. Shame.

Halflife 2, yes, that was well done. Ultimately I think a good mix would be best, some planets and environments might have bright coloring, but the default everywhere else should be more realistic and gritty. That would make bright colorful areas stand out and actually be special, instead of a constant assault on the eyes.

And I would want actual game footage in those trailers. I have nothing against cinematic trailers, but the current downward spiraling trend is that they're becoming too commonplace imo, and it gets even worse when actual gameplay is showed only to the critics before launch, not the masses.

Sure, left is default, right is with the brick block having a -100 density.

...but I can promise you, the devs who actually handle this stuff are already aware, there's likely some justification against it (even though some of their prefabbers use this trick too)

unknown.png

Madmole,

any news on this ? Did the team make a responce why we havent this ?

Not a fan of OuterWorlds at all. Really hate the vibe, kinda what you describe. Also not a fan of cowboy-like settings (yes i didnt even play RedDead, sue me). For Starfield i'm expecting a Mass Effect 1 like vibe. Which i like.

What do make of the "rumors" that ElderScrolls, Fallout and Starfield are all 1 universe linked to eachother? Like one is the present, one is the past and one is the future? :)

If you ever get to the point where you want to just do new locations and polish a lug nut with the same core game, I would absolutely love to see a 7 Days to Die sequel set on a failed Mars colony with a zombie outbreak and Oxygen issues, etc. I'd contribute to that Kickstarter... O.o

7 Days to Die: Dread Planet?

Nice, I love 7DTD but am also a huge sci-fi buff. So let me know if you want some badass robot designs, I have a few anatomy types I've been drawing/modeling for years that the world has yet to see, and boy oh boy would they be amazing in a game.

Actually, if this game takes place in the future, post-war, we could put some believable robot enemies and companions in this game even, eventually, maybe... you know I want to!

Nice, I love 7DTD but am also a huge sci-fi buff. So let me know if you want some badass robot designs, I have a few anatomy types I've been drawing/modeling for years that the world has yet to see, and boy oh boy would they be amazing in a game.

Actually, if this game takes place in the future, post-war, we could put some believable robot enemies and companions in this game even, eventually, maybe... you know I want to!

Like the wolf companion that was originally planned. I have a robot version that would be akin to combining a wolf with a motorcycle/jeep. 20 year old idea, but been talking to some peeps in Switzerland who are actually making something very similar now, finally. They make one of the most agile 4 legged robots on the planet right now, the ANYmal, and consider my designs the future. In game it would be like a mobile turret/scout with eagle eyes, super hearing, insane mobility(wheels for feet)... well, it could easily be OP, main issue would be how to balance.

Like the wolf companion that was originally planned. I have a robot version that would be akin to adding a wolf to a motorcycle/jeep. 20 year old idea, but been talking to some peeps in Switzerland who are actually making something very similar now, finally. They make one of the most agile 4 legged robots on the planet right now, the ANYmal, and consider my designs the future. In game it would be like a mobile turret/scout with eagle eyes, super hearing, insane mobility(wheels for feet)... well, it could easily be OP, main issue would be how to balance.

thought this was a forum to discuss A18 not pitch a pyramid scheme about zombie mechs and such....

Like the wolf companion that was originally planned. I have a robot version that would be akin to combining a wolf with a motorcycle/jeep. 20 year old idea, but been talking to some peeps in Switzerland who are actually making something very similar now, finally. They make one of the most agile 4 legged robots on the planet right now, the ANYmal, and consider my designs the future. In game it would be like a mobile turret/scout with eagle eyes, super hearing, insane mobility(wheels for feet)... well, it could easily be OP, main issue would be how to balance.

....or a really mediocre tween movie...

Here's a "philosophical" question to ponder over: if consoles had somehow managed to keep up with the average PC's specs, then games (AAA titles, surely) would be fundamentally more advanced than they are currently. But would computer technology, and our wallets, have been able to keep up? I'm not saying that everything happens for a reason, but cost wise, maybe consoles being so far behind current PC tech is somewhat of a necessary evil. *Shrugs*

Intel and AMD make their money with a wide range of customers, gamers are only a small part and not the only customers with a demand for fast hardware. The biggest influence games have is probably with GPU's, but likewise there are supercomputers driving the development there as well.

If your theory were correct I would expect the hardware to be making big steps when new consoles are developed. Not seeing that though. Intel makes big steps whenever their eternal competitor AMD kicks their butts, as always competition drives advances.

I also don't see AAA companies avoiding features because they can't use them on console. See raytracing. A few games already have raytracing included even though it can't be used on consoles and even on PCs with an AMD GPU. It surely would be more if RT were less demanding on hardware.

Archived