Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

I like all these A18 concepts as they are described, but will no doubt take getting used to, because so much of basic play in A17 required getting points into INT fast to do basic stuff (efficient resource mining, building horde-ready structures, tool making, exploring/vehicles, big POI clearing with weapons/ammo.)

Yes its very nice because you make a specific build now and just have fun playing. The slow leveling isn't a problem to me because there are no level gates and you find a lot of loot that can improve your life. Random stats allow for a lot of variety in loot, just because I found a pink Ak doesn't mean its awesome. It could have a bum stat like durability.

Well I have lucky looter and I do multiple quests every day, so I acquire a ton of good rewards pretty fast. Air drops can drop anything now not just food. Lucky looter may need a nerf or change.

If it needs a nerf it might not need to be a huge one. I find it ok in a17.4. Though I wouldn't mind a bit less frequency of t6 appearances. 1% less maybe? . Trader rewards on t5 quests give t6s quite frequently too.

Hahah yeah even Bethesda has turned into a ♥♥♥♥ show lately taking over 10 years to get us another Elder Scrolls. They used to create a masterpiece every 3 to 4 years max with 1/4 the size team they have now, so I'm not sure what the delay is all about. Probably because consoles are piles of crap and hold devs back from making great next gen games. They are developing on 2019 pcs and current gen consoles are like 10 year old pcs.

...SO glad to read you say this... =)

Could we get an MF update or do you already know how likely this friday is looking? Sitting on needles here. :p

20 MF's its not looking too good. We'll make the official decision tomorrow. MP and RWG stuff mostly. Junk turrets disappear of a dead body dies by it, which really sucks. Thrown spears against rage zombies goes right through them, another can't ship bug. Good thing I'm doing INT Perception build. RWG 8k won't work on radeon. Some RWG maps have no trader at all, towns spawning in rad zones. We'll get it, but its too much on one guy right now. 15% this Friday chance IMO, 90% chance for Oct 4.

I sure could use a couple more weeks to polish perception/intellect too. As much as I am having fun I'd like those builds to have my stamp of approval too. No idea if they are horde viable.

There are different pickaxes and having a ranch I have several. some have a flat side. although the artwork does not reflect it, a standard pickaxe, similar to a "pick mattock", has a pointed end on one side of its head and a broad flat "axe" blade opposite. A gradual curve spans the length of the head. The next most common configuration features two spikes, one slightly longer than the other. this seems to be the one the TFP Art team chose to display and is the wrong type to be using for digging.

this is what I was I think TFP should design as art as it plays well into MM's description of multi-use.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29118[/ATTACH]

That might be a good immersion animation update.. change the pickaxe model and if it collides with gravel or dirt rotate it in hand to the flat

scrape side. If it collides with rock rotate it to the point side.

I would imagine the hand is a separate model from the held tool, so that should be a pretty easy animation job, and there has to be a collision detection for the block type being mined.

But please explain then, why an experimental is experimental, and stable is stable. Maybe some didn't get the point.

Anyone who opts into experimental should be aware there may be some bugs. Or lots of them.

That's why it's called experimental

I can't understand people whining because of bugs in an Alpha, and more accurate experimental Alpha.....

To my mind they should (pee) off and wait for gold!

The Mainstream is still on A17.4 branch. They won't be annoyed.

EDIT: Typo corrected

Do you want to lose your Q6 junk turret? Do you want your spear to go right through a rage zombie and then get stunned and death looped instead of being victorious? You will be the one raging lol. They are MF for a reason, they are nasty game breakers. I know the hype is real as it should be. But being patient means it will be that much sweeter when you do get it. Bugs just ruin all the hard work we put into it.

20 MF's its not looking too good. We'll make the official decision tomorrow. MP and RWG stuff mostly. Junk turrets disappear of a dead body dies by it, which really sucks. Thrown spears against rage zombies goes right through them, another can't ship bug.

Thank you for this list of bugs. Nobody wants an alpha with these bugs. Take your time.

20 MF's its not looking too good. We'll make the official decision tomorrow. MP and RWG stuff mostly. Junk turrets disappear of a dead body dies by it, which really sucks. Thrown spears against rage zombies goes right through them, another can't ship bug. Good thing I'm doing INT Perception build. RWG 8k won't work on radeon. Some RWG maps have no trader at all, towns spawning in rad zones. We'll get it, but its too much on one guy right now. 15% this Friday chance IMO, 90% chance for Oct 4.

I sure could use a couple more weeks to polish perception/intellect too. As much as I am having fun I'd like those builds to have my stamp of approval too. No idea if they are horde viable.

Well that's a shame, I was fearing this would happen. Those bugs are understandable to prevent a ship.

Hey, It took me awhile to test this and I found the following:

From start Day 1, no points spent. Alpha 17.4

Biome: snow

Food consumption in five minute test.

150-136 Food, Hard pedaling. (5 minutes)

136-136 normal movement. (5 minutes)

136-135 normal movement but got attacked by a vulture and had to dismount.

Test 2, same settings but added cardio level one.

150-131 Food consumption, hard pedaling (5 minutes)

131-131 normal movement (5 minutes)

131-131 another 5 minutes, got attacked twice but no change in food as I didn't move around while dismounted much.

Sprinting test.

Both beginner and level one test seemed about the same. My avatar could petal hard for around 20 seconds before becoming exhausted.

Traveling over rough ground took about a second away from this making it an average of 19 seconds.

All sprint test were done on level ground.

I did find that each level of agility boosted both food and stamina 10 points per level.

I can test the next level to if you want. Do you want that to?

Na we fixed the bike, thanks anyway!

With regard to a change of experience gain in settings, a pop up window would be a good thing: "It's not going to be easier, on the contrary, are you sure you want to increase the difficulty? (you idiot)"? Or just a tooltip when mouse is over.

I play with 200% xp waiting for A18 : it's easy for 4 days then it becomes very nasty. Love it. Short runs are good too, don't remove this feature, please. (my nephew thinks the game is called "Day One" because that's what he reads at the top of the screen every time he watches me play. Survivalist, always sprint, dead is dead : enjoy the map, the next will be worse...)

Well the downside is you might skip over all the progression, like I enjoy the new slower leveling because I might actually craft/find cloth armor now, then progress to leather, then later military, or scrap/iron/steel if I go heavy. You turn up xp you might get onto the good stuff too fast and miss some of the progression as well.

@madmole,

In the video, you stated you did not want your ladder to fall. Can you tell me if the mines can still collapse on you?

I know I had one collapse on me when I was playing the console version, but did not experience that in the updated Stream version.

Yet.

Thanks in advance.

Semper Fi

If I mine around my wood block/ladder the whole thing can fall in, sometimes its only held by one piece of gravel so I like it to sit on the ground if possible because I mine all the ore around it sometimes when the vein dries up.

15% this Friday chance IMO, 90% chance for Oct 4.

:upset:

But its done when its done, and some of those mentioned bugs would just cause another ♥♥♥♥ storm.

Glad I'm not a Radeon guy anymore.. ;)

A smaller a19 update with the mentioned additions a few weeks before Christmas would be great PR combined with the usual holiday discounts.

Thats the biggest benefit to smaller updates.. free PR, and staying on game development news radar.

Well the downside is you might skip over all the progression, like I enjoy the new slower leveling because I might actually craft/find cloth armor now, then progress to leather, then later military, or scrap/iron/steel if I go heavy. You turn up xp you might get onto the good stuff too fast and miss some of the progression as well.

Of course I'll play A18 the way it's supposed to be played ;) But in two months, who knows, maybe I'll need to be shaked ^^.

Yeah, they seem pretty nasty. My advice: Take the extra two or so weeks that you need and get things working right. It'll save you and us a lot of stress down the road. Lol

Madmole - Stick to your guns. Get those MF's fixed. We will survive a few more weeks. As much as I really want A18, I know it will be a better experience polished. You wouldn't want to put out a warm slice of Apple pie without a scoop of Vanilla ice cream to go with it.

...SO glad to read you say this... =)

Todd Howard said "We don't have the technology to make the next elder scrolls". What he really meant was "Potatoes cannot run our technology yet". I mean yeah they are doing new tech, but nothing would take them 10+ years to develop. Its just that they can't do more than 1 or 2 versions max on the same platform. Usually they launch with it, make optimizations and can launch another title 3 or 4 years into the next console, but never a third. Like Fallout 3 launched on xbox 360, so Fallout 4 came out on xbox 1. Skyrim came out on 360 but then they updated to SE to take advantage of xbox 1 hardware and the improvements to the engine they did with fallout4, but essentially elder scrolls is skipping an entire console generation because the hardware is garbage.

:upset:

But its done when its done, and some of those mentioned bugs would just cause another ♥♥♥♥ storm.

Glad I'm not a Radeon guy anymore.. ;)

A smaller a19 update with the mentioned additions a few weeks before Christmas would be great PR combined with the usual holiday discounts.

Thats the biggest benefit to smaller updates.. free PR, and staying on game development news radar.

Yeah, doing a branch for new stuff and moving it to a stable trunk will make this possible IMO. I can bust out 3-5 new book sets and vehicle mods in 6 weeks easily, and they would be heartily eaten up.

Yeah, they seem pretty nasty. My advice: Take the extra two or so weeks that you need and get things working right. It'll save you and us a lot of stress down the road. Lol

Yeah there is no reason to drop it when there are obvious nasty MF's on our plate.

Archived