Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

i agree 100% 3 modders id suggest releasing xml to: Red Eagle LXIX- UI | O C -server tools | Prisma501 -cpm.

It only makes to much sense for modders/players such as this to gain access to the xml prior or same time as streamers.

And this is the flaw. Sirillon has the most popular UI mod, so why not him? Prisma charges for full access, so why should he benefit financially? (Correct me if I'm wrong Prisma). OC? What about smeg?

...how would tfp know who is "deserving" and who is not? Slippery slope.

i agree 100% 3 modders id suggest releasing xml to: Red Eagle LXIX- UI | O C -server tools | Prisma501 -cpm.

It only makes to much sense for modders/players such as this to gain access to the xml prior or same time as streamers.

hell noooooooo lol. If thats the case I have a list of modders that would love to get an advanced copy including me. ;):)

just joking. I could care less.

So Madmole after being on both sides of the development process.

This is strictly using Unity experience, and 7 days to die.

If you wrote a book, tutorial for Ultimate game development, Topics

Future demographics vs legacy for longevity, Theoretical vs Applied,

Micro vs macro management and distribution. Which would you advise a

game developer as being more fruitful from your experience?

I've pitched the idea to Madmole to write a book...It really would be cool if he wrote a book. I would buy it, and you....it might just be us two buying the book but still! lol.

Madmole, I know this isn't in 18 and not expecting it, but is there a plan for if/when you will be fixing the directional sound. Right now zombies can be two floors away and outside, but sound like they spawned right behind you.

It's probably my biggest QOL request because I definitely rely on sound to help me determine if I need to stop looting and move.

Probably an A20 thing.

And this is the flaw. Sirillon has the most popular UI mod, so why not him? Prisma charges for full access, so why should he benefit financially? (Correct me if I'm wrong Prisma). OC? What about smeg?

Very easy to determine who is "deserving" : streamers they require a set amount of viewers | modders who's stuff is highly used by the community should be considered. Btw didnt mean to leave out smerg or Sirllion those are another two id for sure give access to the xml too.

One problem with listening to comedians is knowing whether they really mean it or just milk a topic for fun.

Oh they mean it believe me you ;) I'm sure the guys will get used to the changes. They have only recently picked up the game again so they are complaining about the same stuff all of us players complained about when A17 first dropped. Neebs and the others are now just voicing there opinions on it but I'm sure they will get used to the changes. who knows though.

Very easy to determine who is "deserving" : streamers they require a set amount of viewers | modders who's stuff is highly used by the community should be considered. Btw didnt mean to leave out smerg or Sirllion those are another two id for sure give access to the xml too.

Ok so what metric do we use to determine "highly used"?

Who's got the data?

Look, it's a great idea but just not feasible, and given that the vast majority of people who play don't play modded, it'll be a huge butthurt to them.

No value add to tfp, except for releasing the xmls to get another hundred set of eyes on them.

Well, if we want to be pragmatic, releasing keys early for modders gives them the opportunity to go through all the new / reworked XMLs, in order to provide an A18 compatible version of their mod quicker... It's also a small compensation for all the hard work accomplished throughout the years, because while I could envision how creating my own mod could be fun (I've only done non-released modlets for my friends and I), I can't even fathom porting some of the larger mods from one Alpha version to the next...!

Been a programmer myself, I create few SDK/API on my projects. I often talk to other company developer (modder in this case). they always have input on how I should make my code, which is always restricted to their vision and requirement. But On other hand I as writer of SDK/API I have larger audience to cover and their need in a manner that help my projects. So I don't like giving access to code before I am ready for production to them. If they need specific function or requirement I will add functionality as I go. But never rework for client application.

Same logic applies here. Remain about "hard work of modder", Don't get offended, but either the modder do it to enjoy game in his manner or earn from it, by putting server and attracting other to play his customization. In both case they do not depend on parent company. So, why a "little" help? I too make small mod for my fun play, but I do it for fun, and I don't expect to get especial recognization from parent company. Plus blocking modder now ensure people play their vanilla game too for which they do more hardwork, then people just installing mod on first day, and people do that. Let them release game and you see 100s of bug report on first few days because old map or mod is not working despite the fact they ask not to report those.

Sorry for been harsh in my thought process, but I keep ground check. The work of modder is amazing and sometime expectional, but don't feel bad if you don't get some free keys to couple of people.

No value add to tfp, except for releasing the xmls to get another hundred set of eyes on them.

There are a few problems with releasing only the xml's. The first being how the modders would test any fixes they find and how would the modders test any changes they have to make to adjust the xml's to their mod?

I know there's general leg-work that can be done by some modders but it would seem the difficulties outweigh the benefits.

If the xml's are released publicly the potential for misunderstanding and unnecessary -gates rises exponentially. Let's save the torches and pitchforks for when we actually need them :-)

There are a few problems with releasing only the xml's. The first being how the modders would test any fixes they find and how would the modders test any changes they have to make to adjust the xml's to their mod?

I know there's general leg-work that can be done by some modders but it would seem the difficulties outweigh the benefits.

If the xml's are released publicly the potential for misunderstanding and unnecessary -gates rises exponentially. Let's save the torches and pitchforks for when we actually need them :-)

It's three days, a weekend at that, and those misinterpretations will come anyway from what people see on the stream; modders can derive alot from an XML, I wouldn't sell them short. Typos, logic fails, whatever. They'll see it.

actually.... the streamers wont show anything that MadMole hasnt already shown except maybe chance of catching something broke that we and mm hasnt caught yet. :) <fingers crossed>

I would ask if it looks like all mf will get fixed so A18 can drop but you and I know tons of bugs can pop up in 1 day delaying everything so I won't ask lol.

Instead I'll ask, if you are able to say, how is it going for you and the Q&A testers overall tackling the remaining MF bugs?

It would be more of a waste of time than talking about now, which is pretty bad.

Correcting you. Free for everyone.

Cheers

Archived