Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

This could be ok if the settings can be saved and applied kind of like the paint brush. It would be very tedious to open the radial on every block you want changed.

You'd change the radial menu on the hoe to set the density and then use that on any blocks you wanted. For block radial menus, you could have the ability to close open and empty helper containers in a prefab you're taking over, or setting containers with specific tags, "melee, tools, armor, etc" to pair with the new move all inventory button, or any number of creative uses that modders could take advantage of.

With new skills/perks you could even have a "search deeper" option to take a few seconds longer but have a chance to find additional loot in an empty container.

Build the framework, and the gameplay will come. :)

Agreed, its bs. It happened to everyone on the team so we're like hey what can we do to make this not such a cheap death and we're trying a few things.

Maybe you can make it an introduction into the game. So a wolf pack encounter is guaranteed at some time on day 1 but when a wolf gets your health below 30%, an NPC with a gun suddenly fires into the air and scares them off. If you don't have any bandages or first aid kits at that time he can give you one.

"Good thing you're not bleeding. If you were, apply bandages fast or you'll bleed to death. Now those wolves won't be afraid of gunfire next time. But they might run off if they take enough damage. Best to listen for their howling and then stop whatever you're doing so as not to make a sound, unless you're armed enough to fight them off. Take care, friend."

Something like that. I like NPC interaction that has meaning and instruction in a game .

LOL - Busty Heart! I used to go to her strip club in PA all the time when I was 19-21. She would put those on your shoulders at the end of the night if you stayed for a picture. Fun memories.

Anyways, came to say Love the game and the updates; cant wait for A18, the videos look great!

Holy ♥♥♥♥ those are real!? She must have back muscles bigger than madmoles!

Yeah uncomment the hoe, problem solved if you think hoeing the ground is better than digging a hole and putting the box in.

actually, I dont see why you cant keep the hoe, then when you hoe the ground, it takes wood from your inventory to create the farmed box. Keeps the mechanic, keeps the need to find a hoe thereby keeping the farming item gated, and still raises terrain and evens it out.

I know you want to simplify the game to stream line, but please... in the process of streamlining it, dont make it so idiot proof that my brain dies?

Well your sadness is 500 people's joy. Farming sucked, now its finally great. Press e to collect and its gold.

Nah, sounds too easy and cheap now. I could be wrong. Will assess it when A18 hits, but I'm enjoying the A17.4 challenge to get your skills up, find the seeds, find the tools, etc.

Its been nerfed, but without bandages it hurts bad. There is no cotton in the desert so you have to go into a poi or luck into a campsite to get cloth.

nests yield cloth sometimes if you destroy them after looting. With the lower feather counts I am now in the habit of chopping up every nest I loot since that is a couple more feathers and pretty soon I can craft bandages even in the desert.

O.o whats up with all the hate. I play on insane difficulty

Imho

Since when did water cans impact survival. It literally takes only half a day to find a pot if you are unlucky, which isnt enough to make you thirsty, and there is a high chance youll have a couple bottles of water by then. So boiling without pot takes 4x times seems fair to me

actually, this is the part I believe to be wrong. rngesus hates me, went 2-3 days many times over the year not finding a damn pot or wrench. Canned water takes inventory space. the survival aspect is what do you choose, enough water to get by, or some of the loot you just found?

Well even in that case, the hoe method isn't really a meaningful choice. A meaningful choice implies that there is also a meaningful difference in those two choices, when there isn't really. If I'm going to get the same amount of food for less effort, I'm going to always take the less effort option. Why would I make a hoe and till the land when i can just make a sleek looking box?

In the case of the farm plot, I would say its every bit as deep without the frustrating steps of hoeing dirt and planting on uneven voxel terrain. Clearing grass and all that nonsense was traded for less frustrating user experience, and a little more rewarding path to obtain a larger farm. Make a box vs finding a hoe are both abstracts, but the former is overall more pleasing to work with, and makes for amazing decorations in your house.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EB0KWe_U8AEgJi7?format=jpg&name=large

At this point, I don't have an opinion on the farming changes. I'll have to see how it actually plays to get a better idea of the trade off involved.

If you don't need to do something to the world terrain to prep it, I think that's a detriment - because now you can make a bunch of food plots in your inventory while on the run. With A17 and earlier you had to physically stand where you wanted the farm plot and spend a small amount of time watching an animation of the ground being worked.

Being forced to "build" a farm plot like you would a wall, gate, or bar, is a meaningful choice IMO. You have to spend time, standing still, which opens you to attack and restricts you from doing anything else (except inventory crafting.) There's more to the equation than "we took out the hoe, and replaced it with nitrate."

Again, I'll have to see it in action before making a decision.

-A

actually, this is the part I believe to be wrong. rngesus hates me, went 2-3 days many times over the year not finding a damn pot or wrench. Canned water takes inventory space. the survival aspect is what do you choose, enough water to get by, or some of the loot you just found?

Yep - this is exactly what I posted earlier. My experience has been identical, and it is AMAZING FUN scrambling to try and find enough water before that first horde night.

-A

If you read my short post on how to do it, its clearly over designed. I guess everyone here forgot about all the complaints about punching crops in 17. I solved that with the farm box.

devils advocate, in 18, we press e to harvest, in 17, we punch, but arent you the one who broke it in a17 because in a16 it was e to collect?

Na, I got attacked from behind while fighting zombies and instant bleed with no bandages. At a minimum they need to howl before they go agro and bark or something. Its completely unfair for day 1 survivors unless we changed them like pigs but they aggro if you get too close. Right now they just rush up silently and cheaply kill players who aren't armored yet, that isn't fun for noobs or veterans. Had I been in the wasteland and it was a rad dog, sure, cool eat me I deserved that, but it wasn't.

I have been saying the same thing about the dogs for a long time. They need to make some damn noise before they aggro you. Also, coyotes tend to run away from people not attack them.

Farming was never a meaningful choice it was a tedious exercise in frustration hoeing the uneven terrain and trying to place fertilizer sucked, wasting a point on a hoe? Come on you can dig with your hands. How was anything meaningful, other than planting that first seed? You have the same effect now gathering seeds and materials to build the farm plot. I can't wait for everyone to take back their words on this, farming rocks now.

DeVega will be happy, infinite rocks!

Na, I got attacked from behind while fighting zombies and instant bleed with no bandages. At a minimum they need to howl before they go agro and bark or something. Its completely unfair for day 1 survivors unless we changed them like pigs but they aggro if you get too close. Right now they just rush up silently and cheaply kill players who aren't armored yet, that isn't fun for noobs or veterans. Had I been in the wasteland and it was a rad dog, sure, cool eat me I deserved that, but it wasn't.

Haha, yep. That's why people hated dying to wandering dog hordes. Silent like ninjas until they were upon you. Generally speaking, Deaths where the player is left feeling that there wasnt much they could of done to overcome it is a design gap imo.

Fully support some type of audio que for situations like these.

ok peeps.. i decided to go ahead and jump back a build or so and show you a tad bit about the farm plot..

i hope it shows you what you are asking about, i thought i covered what was needed... one thing i forgot to show you was.. you can paint the plots too.. i did do a screen shot. enjoy :)

the plot is a 1 m block.

video:

painting:

241955189_plotpainting.jpg.0782d95c5348a01d845b57e28847b760.jpg

video is public now!

ok peeps.. i decided to go ahead and jump back a build or so and show you a tad bit about the farm plot..

i hope it shows you what you are asking about, i thought i covered what was needed... one thing i forgot to show you was.. you can paint the plots too.. i did do a screen shot. enjoy :)

video:

painting:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29094[/ATTACH]

video is public now!

You da real MVP

video:

painting:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29094[/ATTACH]

video is public now!

looks nice, but to have it at ground level, we need a 1 m deep hole to place it?

please re add soil back into the recipe. doesnt work right in my head, and possibly in the minds of others as well. in this case, a little realism doesnt hurt. I mean you are digging th holes to plant them in the ground anyways.

Sorry if I missed something but I don't really understand the problem with new players that should be protected by reducing the number of zombies or by making the animals almost harmless or whatever.

If he doesn't like to be challenged, a new player should play in minimum difficulty, that's all. Why not change the default settings to prevent newbies from being raped on the first day?

- Difficulty "scavenger"

- 4 zombies max for the hordes of the 7th day.

- Enjoy.

If a player does not cope with these settings, it's time to turn to Tetris.

Archived