Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

So, all they need to add then, is death penalty from suicide is x10 and Viola!

Just to clarify a bit. You could not craft a baseball bat at all by going into the intelligence branch since that is the top tier version of clubs which are in the strength build.

By going into the intelligence build you could craft stun batons, junk turrets, and explosives. So maxing out your intelligence you could craft a blue quality stun baton with average stats. You could possibly find a blue stun baton with higher stats or lower stats.

If you max out strength you could eventually craft a blue quality baseball bat that had average stats which means you could possibly find a blue baseball bat with better or worse stats.

And...of course purple quality can never be crafted and only ever be found.

The misconception is that intelligence is the crafting tree that lets you craft everything the best. This is not true of A18. Each attribute tree has its own groups of crafts and crafting is never the way to get the best of the best. Only looting.

That being said, any blue weapon or tool of average stats is going to be plenty to thrive with in the game. If your worry is not being able to keep up with the difficulty then there is nothing to worry about. If your worry is that you get anxiety knowing there could be better stuff to be found than you have in your possession then there is therapy.

Looting is King in A18 and onward. Crafting is Queen or Jack. Still powerful but not the all. It was found that being able to craft the best removes reasons to explore and scavenge so that model is going away.

Makes sense. Hopefully apart from craft quality, there are some unique abilities or items deep in each tree to reward players who choose to go that route.

ММ, have you thought about making air drops more useful and unique?

Here are some ideas:

- super loot, which can only be in an air drop and which cannot be created (super antibiotics or unique enhancing drinks, unique schemes or books, special super cartridges or grenades ...)

- limited time until the box with loot disappears (did not manage to pick up during the day, the box self-destructs)

- maybe the plane drops different boxes with different markings, which need to be opened for a long time, like safes (fortified military boxes with ammunition, fortified medical boxes, fortified box with tools and diagrams, and so on)

- the danger of getting an air drop: zombies, wolves, zombie dogs, zombie bears or bandits at the place where the box falls, which constantly arrive at the point until you pick up the loot, and you have to fight back and try to destroy the box and so on ...

Having an airdrop's content despawn after x amount of time would be a misdirection, imo. Imagine if I didn't have enough time to get it (say, the horde night was coming); I shouldn't be forced to get it if I don't have the time. Or if I had just finished looted a large POI three km from home, I was halfway home, and the airdrop dropped back where I came from. I wouldn't be going back to it then, but it would be nice if a week later, I decided to head out there and get that airdrop in my free time.

Thanks MM, will try next time:rapture:

Another question is about a low health vehical trigger a land mine sometimes will turn the HP to 0 and just need to repair.

But it is possible to just disappear (including the loot inside) is it remain the same in A18?

Just got a bike and a 4x4 vanished by stepping on a land mine.

It just me or someone else facing the same problem? LOL.

Me and my friend just get caught by land mines all the time

Hadn't seen that.

So Madmole, back to your Gyrocopter incident. It's very important to adjust the targeting settings before horde night. This is the default. ;)

n3mHNVF.jpg

Nice one! See burns are fun :D

Next someone will make a mod for the bow called the Madmole Grip. Gives you better aim and faster draw but has a 10% chance per shot to drop the bow ;)

Oh, GS. I forgot. So there isn't any way that you can test that horde with a GS of 600, then, I guess.

I get high on firepower in a17.4 no prob against that horde with around 600 GS and I run out of Zds by 1 o'clock. Molotovs are king.

You can pretty much get used to the 64 Zd horde . Actually. That horde is a thrill to the body!

My point is. Even if I'm an adrenaline addicted player, I suggest you test the Gazz change with a radical amount of Zds and the 120 min day horde (the most extensive that the game settings can offer) and with a radical amount of firepower and with a radical amount of GS to see if the changes on Horde continuity and thrill are consistent. 12 Zds is like testing a 2 month old glass of water for water quality. Otherwise, the tweak is halfarsed and prone to the usual: "no Zds at 11 o'clock" stuff. That is, for 120 min day players, which are quite a lot I gather (statistics are still in my butt).

I hope I'm not being disrespectful with your love with a18, I'm an open minded guy and I understand a man can love a number. Just stating a fact and a specific advanced setting problem that I personally wish to be consistently solved. Zds all horde night in all possible choices pls.

Log out and log back in, horde restarts.

LOL this is one of the solutions I posted already, pretty much exactly, except I'd give the player a note so you don't have to write it down.

Great minds think alike...

I feel like I just found the car keys only to find out you had the master set. I'll keep pondering. At some point, I hope to be able to help contribute to your game just to show thanks for all the hard work you've already put in. I'll keep trying.

I have contempt for walls of text for sure.

Are you are saying we added too much loot?

I generally hate writing them but I like this game a lot. No, More loot the better especially if it is a material you can't craft. As for A18 I don't want to come off as I hated everything I have seen. I stand by my statements about A16 but yes it had A ton of jank and needed to be changed. All things being said I can't wait for A18.

I like the new way of getting and doing weapons and armorments as it is now explained.

Mainy because I play as a scavenger. I hunt kill loot explore, not necessarily in that order

and prior having to stop, micromanage parts layouts, combinations, and math was a sumovabeach

to maintain. This way seems to simplify it so the more intense i play the more useable things

i can find. I whack every piled bag in pois to get cobblestone and concrete mix to supliment

what i can't trade for or produce in early gamestage.

The new way if i understand it correctly fixes that.

Edit: leave the bags please and thank you

Hi faatal!

Appreciate all your hard work (and all the devs) to give us this wonderful game!

Would it be possible, to have the "mandatory" explosion on death be an XML attribute in the demolisher entity definition?

The reason I ask, is that having a "non stoppable" explosion is a huge difference to game play and hordes, and one that I fear will have huge issues with base building. It might be just fine, but you can imagine having a few demolishers exploding in your base dealing 5k damage, where you'll see bases crumble, storage lost, and basically either way generate hours of cleanup. And this without a way to actually kill them such as through headshots and avoiding it.

A simple "explode on death" true/false would solve that, allowing the community to play around with this setting. Heck, I'd include that in the cop as well, so we could see how it'd affect cops always exploding regardless of fa(a)tal damage or not.

The same goes for the detonation time delay. Putting in XML would allow players and modders a hugely more effective way to make changes.

Maybe on a more advanced, even an attribute as to "explosion on death" property to specify "demolisher/cop" allowing us to easily mod other zombie entities to have the same explosion potential. But anyway, just an on/off for the mandatory explosion would be sufficient for a basic approach!

(This of course if he always explode on death as I understood, if not, and you can actually terminally damage him and prevent headshots then it's more like cops and it's fine ;)

/Vedui :)

You can already change that. Demo's have:

<property name="Explosion.RadiusBlocks" value="5"/>

<property name="Explosion.RadiusEntities" value="6"/>

<property name="Explosion.BlockDamage" value="5000"/>

<property name="Explosion.EntityDamage" value="800"/>

<property name="Explosion.DamageBonus.earth" value=".1"/>

<property name="StompsSpikes" value="true"/>

<property name="ExplodeDelay" value="2"/>

<property name="ExplodeHealthThreshold" value="0"/> <!-- Disable Health explosion -->

<property name="SoundExplodeWarn" value="demolitionzexplodewarning"/>

<property name="SoundTick" value="demolitionz_beep,.5,.9"/>

MM or anyone who knows: Is there a file/screenshot of all the overhauled perks that we can use to decide early what play through we would be interested in. I know there is a video where you covered them, but I would like to look at them in detail. Thanks.

From the video (may be changed currently) ..

168755789_3fortitude.jpg.a29f0f1beb332f272fee05a6a7860b29.jpg

2088448543_5intellect.jpg.0436c0da4cba7dd3a24d5aabe62fd70d.jpg

Oh, and :sing:

1305177122_1perception.jpg.79a1a88c286f3d7eea24ac118780b55f.jpg

1593049473_2strength.jpg.80dd73a8b33908887957115c5ab3131a.jpg

139629324_4agility.jpg.daddaa13b4ad56cc76d61143918f3560.jpg

so bow/crossbow may not be a viable long term build then unless we avoid horde nights. doesn't sound promising. I know people were complaining about things like brass being against gun bunnies, but this may slant things too far the other direction. but I will have to reserve my opinion until I give it a good run.

crossbow is covered by agility?

is archery perks getting love or a book series? like quick draw, rapid reload, or multishot? using old d&d terms

In my current game I am playing agility. You start with bows and knifes. Knife power attacks add multiple bleeds, so a lot of my damage is from them bleeding. Agility also covers 9mm pistols and SMGs, stealth and parkour.

You can already change that. Demo's have:

<property name="Explosion.RadiusBlocks" value="5"/>

<property name="Explosion.RadiusEntities" value="6"/>

<property name="Explosion.BlockDamage" value="5000"/>

<property name="Explosion.EntityDamage" value="800"/>

<property name="Explosion.DamageBonus.earth" value=".1"/>

<property name="StompsSpikes" value="true"/>

<property name="ExplodeDelay" value="2"/>

<property name="ExplodeHealthThreshold" value="0"/> <!-- Disable Health explosion -->

<property name="SoundExplodeWarn" value="demolitionzexplodewarning"/>

<property name="SoundTick" value="demolitionz_beep,.5,.9"/>

I’m curious what kind of craters would result from changing the .1 to a 1.1 for Explosion.DamageBonus.Earth....

Hen MM,

I don't see any mention of AI changes on the first post and have not seen any discussion on it. Has there been any significant changes in zed pathing and behavior in 18?

There are many little changes, but the major ones that come to mind are the zombie speed boost randomly when taking damage, sleeper volume trigger improvements and player breadcrumbs that AI now use to follow.

That just doesn't add up. If you have to go to a dangerous place to find the rare thing that lets you craft better, you might as well just find the nice ____ and be done with it.

I'm open to grandpa's crafting elixer that randomizes player crafting stats while your on it, so you might craft a dud or a nice one.

I should have finished my thought. It could look like a perk that once had, the player could craft a special part that when used provides a chance to "crit" when crafting an item.

However, the Grandpa's elixir route makes more sense for 7 Days and has the same function. I wasn't exactly sure how "gamey" (not intended as a negative) your vision for crafting allowed. It sounds like an enjoyable addition for crafting while leaving room for the best stuff (like the legendaries) to be found only through looting.

Archived