Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Do stats affect resale value?

Nope, just quality and degradation. If its tier 1 (brown) I scrap it because 3 parts are worth more than a brown gun, otherwise I repair everything because repair kits are cheap now 1 duct tape and one forged iron, so its worth the xp and coin to repair stuff, and glue is no shortage with bone harvesting.

Ah that's good to hear, shotguns feel pretty weak right now and I've always loved shotguns in general. The blunderbuss is T1 I'm assuming, so it will soon be phased out by proper shotguns, yes? If that's the case I'd like to suggest maybe giving the blunderbuss unique ammo options so it has more uses outside of just being an early shotgun. I mean, it's essentially a cannon, why not fill it with cool stuff! It could be a more niche situational option during mid or even late game.

Couple of suggestions:

Glass Ammo: Weak on initial damage but gives a severe bleed debuff. Useful for armored zombies.

Doorknob Ammo: Just shove a doorknob down the barrel for a huge slug! Long reload time and short range makes this bad for sustained fights but it'd be hilarious to nuke a moe with a doorknob. Perhaps some armor pen as well?

Gunpowder Ammo: What happens if you just replace the projectile with more gunpowder? A flame cannon!

Yeah I thought about giving it some advanced ammo so its usefulness could improve.

@madmole I've been very curious on the Perception tree ever since its reveal for A18. Although I've never legitimately used rifles/rocket launchers (not my style; besides, rocket launchers were always sort of a "gimmicky weapon" imo, due to their rarity and huge ammo cost), and although I'm eyeing the Fortitude tree intently, I'm curious on how the Perception tree performs. I'm wondering if you could provide some insight on the matter. Forgetting javelins for a second, how does one invade a POI using a marksman rifle? Or is this task saved exclusively for the hunting rifle, or even just the javelin? What about horde night? Will the marksman rifle provide enough firepower to stop a later gamestage horde. What of the rocket launcher? Is it a viable weapon for later gamestage hordes? Are rocket launchers/rockets as rare as ever?

I haven't played this build but I would be using grenades on horde night. I imagine it will need some refinement. I should start a new build soon but I hoped to unlock a few book completion perks with this character and see a few more hordes.

Sorry but I have a low tolerance for comments (not even people, its nothing personal) who don't read or watch the videos and then complain without an accurate understanding of what they are complaining about.

I don't understand your question. What gimped exp? Forced into looting? Looting is fun and part of the game. You can get to level 300 with just your fists if you want, mining grass for a couple thousand years, nothing is forced. Mining and building, upgrading is very rewarding with XP.

You don't have to buy any perks at all. Noone is forcing any play style. You can craft everyting without int, if you find the schematics. There might be 2 things you can't craft we forgot. On the other hand if you don't want to find schematics you can buy into intellect and craft all that stuff, work stations, mixers, medicine, be a better doctor, better bartering, etc.

A word of advice if you open a conversation up all emotional, your probably going to get an emotional response back. I agree lets try to be civil :) We very well may have ruined the game for some players, but feel in general its 5000x better for a lot more players. All the changes were better for the game play.

If you don't like combat, you can trade with traders. Craft things, go dig up buried treasure for money, etc. There are plenty of non combat ways to do things. We will only improve on this in the future too.

I just fear the game forcing players into looting for good stuff.

This won't be so bad if all the buildings are not just endless dungeon crawls. Since youre on here, could you please confirm the non dungeon POIs, and, if I may ask, do you have any plan to add an option for ratio? Dungeon to non dungeon that is?

And if no plans for options, how do you see the spread of dungeon to non dungeon POIs for random gen? 🤔

Re: your videos - I watched them, I just never recalled you saying what a poster recently stated here on the forums that quality 1 to 5 can be crafted, but quality 6 can only be looted.

You must be more forgiving for those users, like me, who see conflicting information and conjecture. I got the picture already by the way thanks to your reply to another user. I'm confident I understand your changes now.

I'm sure that would require a weapon mod like a large capacity magazine and something to increase the fire rate on them.

You've got some huge testes if you're trying that marksman vs horde considering the spawns come from everywhere and those zombies move pretty quick. I swear the one eyed crippled woman has been sped up 😮

Depends on your base design, like if you had a bunch of barbed wire with multiple towers you could pop quite a few zombies from mid range then when they get close go to another tower. I'm pretty sure you can one shot to the chest most basic zeds once you are perked up, I know I can with my m60. I'd use grenades when they get clustered.

Why not all of those options? The game can see it as a quest in a quest house and there's obviously a 'start quest' code. Does it matter what triggers it?

And instead of making the treasure box invincible, I'd much prefer if you were to hide it as a normal-looking house block what just had a texture over it. It can be random anywhere within the house (or even an adjacent house) and the information can be on the boss bad guy or several places over the house (don't have a full map coordinates without finding 3 notes, for example).

Level design wants a nice obvious reward of cool looking loot chests when you get to the end, the find the hidden cache is already annoying enough, so no thanks with a hidden block painted as wallpaper or whatever you meant by normal-looking house block what just had a texture over it.

That's the spirit, and I'm sincerely glad you're able to experience what we've been talking about... it's gotta be weird developing a game, I can't even imagine...

♥♥♥♥ gets boring at around 120 days or so, so by then you start making up your own minigames (building a maze and fighting hordenight in there, taking on massive "Bridge to nowhere" projects, etc).

We've slowed things down, but managed to keep it interesting with all the loot to find now, but yeah I see day 120 as getting a bit old even as it is now. Probably level 80 unless we change XP.

Why not all of those options? The game can see it as a quest in a quest house and there's obviously a 'start quest' code. Does it matter what triggers it?

And instead of making the treasure box invincible, I'd much prefer if you were to hide it as a normal-looking house block what just had a texture over it. It can be random anywhere within the house (or even an adjacent house) and the information can be on the boss bad guy or several places over the house (don't have a full map coordinates without finding 3 notes, for example).

That sounds incredibly frustrating, I want to be rewarded upon finding the loot room, I don't want to have to run my hand over all the walls in the building for my prize.

Sorry if I offended you. I love the game so much now, any attack on it I kind of take personal because I really love what we've done. I feel like most comments they just don't know what they are talking about or are an odd 1% guy and the masses are going to love what we've done to the game. Fun cannot be faked, I'm loving this game for the first time since about A11. Its finally all there.

It's no worries. We're brothers in arms for defending this game. It has so many aspects that have brought so much enjoyment to myself, and friends of mine, so much addicting gameplay that has me coming back for more.

I'm just worried that drastic changes may take away some of that fun. You have your style, I have my preferences, just as much as the next man.

Do you have any plans on adding more customisable options for random gen that may allow us to tweak our games for that true sense of individuality?

When you kill one mob another apears instantly.

Guys playing with 32 or 64 put all that preasure against a good base desing. Using less bullets but more materials to replace the losses. The goal is buy some time.its efective..but kinda borring.

For me demolishers are very good news.

I'm interested in the XP and the rush. I do recognize a better base is needed so I'm building something more traditional. The tower loot room was traditional but all the add ons were not and made base defense a nightmare. My new horde base should work well, but only time will tell.

Will there be fresh/new looking paints in A18? i don't like when i spend time painting my house just for it to look like an old house, when i paint the house it should look like new

Nope. Painting is an abstraction, its more like this is the flavor of rusty corroded metal you built with, not actual paint.

MM, what do you think about some different in appearance weapons of different quality? We already have paint in the game. It may be possible for weapons of different quality to make some basic differences in the skin for all weapons (not a mod, only basik skin, and can the ability to install color mods on top of the base skin).

Level 1 - very rusty, and very dirty

Level 2 - moderately rusty, and moderately dirty

Level 3 - a little rusty and a little dirty

Level 4 - just dirty

Level 5 - Clean

Level 6 - grated to a shine (not so dazzling, but still ...)

this is saying that why can't a in WoW Warlock tank and heal yet a Paladin can be a healer, dps and tank.....

Makes total sense to let a warlock tank heal and dps.

Variation is KEY to RPG's, hence if above statement was true and all classes could do all roles, then the game would be dead so fast.

In WoW you have MULTIPLE PLAYERS to play each role. My point was that playing agility single player might be inferior to str or whatever other class because it’s stealth, which is not ideal for horde night. Never asked for all classes to be equal in skills, but equal in the ability to take on horde night. Big difference.

Loc

No that bug won't be returning. There are coal boulders now which lead to glorious amounts of coal underground, lets not make the game look ugly again no thanks.

totally agree... and once people get into a18... there will be some silent... "ooops they were right... things are better" :)

I'm very confused about this statement, A16 was the build I joined the game on and got many of my friends to play on. An we would pack up and ride out on minibikes to loot far away towns and citys I don't think the smash items together mechanic was perfect and many good things were done A17 and it looks like there are good things in A18. Looting got hit hard and hit bad in A17 but now it seems like you are way over correcting in the other direction. I think the 1-6 quality rating is part of the problem for both crafting and looting. In A16, sure the incremental increases were not game changers but they made the difference between a level 100 item and a level 600 actually feel like a large jump. As for the idea that you don't want people sitting in their base crafting good stuff, so what. Sitting in your base crafting is that players decision. I also wholeheartedly disagree with the idea that there was no reason to loot. Crafting the good ♥♥♥♥ took a long ass time and you could find better stuff in the mean time. I don't know where the balance is and A17 was a big change and I still liked it but it condensed a lot down and removed a lot of nuance that was there. Yes I haven't played A18 yet and I am still excited for it however I want to point these issues out because I want the concern known. Through many of your statements I get this feeling you end up to over correcting for things that are not entirely an issue. It also just sort of feels like you have this contempt for the part of the player base that wants to build a strong defense.

I have contempt for walls of text for sure.

I explained the difference in a previous post you needed 10 things and you were done, had the best of the best, and the incentive to play and keep looting was over just as quick as it started. Now you could literally loot 500 sniper rifles and somehow find a better one tomorrow. Same goes for steel boots, etc and to top it off there are 300+ books and schematics to find.

Are you are saying we added too much loot? I don't think that many people will complain that there is too much loot. I have contempt for legacy designs that people grow attached to that were bad for the game. A good game requires a mix of thought, creativity and risk/reward. Former versions of the game required no effort to be safe, (dig underground and seal it with a frame) no risk to craft some of the best things in the game (armor for example) and literally no choice or character builds, there was one build, survivor/exploiter.

last I checked blood moon can be turned off, blood moon horde damage to blocks can also be adjusted. I think also zombie block damage. so why is everyone so worried about demolisher zombies damage or hordes wrecking a base? just change the settings instead.

I swear most of the things people complain about here in the vanilla game can easily be fixed by changing the settings a bit. if you refuse to change the settings then it's a personal problem.

Archived