Sign in to follow this  
madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

That one is already in. You can take all with R and it fills your duplicates, then you drop them one by one. I do that all the time in my drop chest for later ordered storage.

There's A LOT of situations in which the feature I'm suggesting would work: The most important of them being having to drop things in a chest as soon as possible because:

1-Night is approaching

2-Horde is approaching

3-A combat is near

4- Any situation in which you don't want to order your ♥♥♥♥e and just want to play the game as soon as possible without shift clicking all the time . So we just drop everything in an storage and keep going.

So, as you see, It doesn't suck at all. And quite a few games have it because It's useful.

agreed. Shift clicking IS NICE imo but a drop all in those situations i could of used SO many times on day 100+ nights XD

Store duplicates...i need to go change my underwear hang on...

Store all would kind of suck, but we talked about doing a store duplicates so you go to each chest, hit that button and it stores any duplicates of what you have in there, then it would intelligently sort at least.

How would a store all suck? Just as there is a "take all" it would be nice to have the opposite. I also love the idea of a button to send all the duplicates into the chest! The game is really shaping up to be something awesome! Can't wait to see how you guys implement bandits as well as some new zombie types!

How would a store all suck? Just as there is a "take all" it would be nice to have the opposite. I also love the idea of a button to send all the duplicates into the chest! The game is really shaping up to be something awesome! Can't wait to see how you guys implement bandits as well as some new zombie types!

I suppose it would suck if you accidentally pressed it when you were in one of your chests?

That one is already in. You can take all with R and it fills your duplicates, then you drop them one by one. I do that all the time in my drop chest for later ordered storage.

There's A LOT of situations in which the feature I'm suggesting would work: The most important of them being having to drop things in a chest as soon as possible because:

1-Night is approaching

2-Horde is approaching

3-A combat is near

4- Any situation in which you don't want to order your ♥♥♥♥e and just want to play the game as soon as possible without shift clicking all the time . So we just drop everything in an storage and keep going.

So, as you see, It doesn't suck at all. And quite a few games have it because It's useful.

You can just die and drop all your ♥♥♥♥ if you have it on manly settings :) We'll have a look at some point, we talked about it last week.

I suppose it would suck if you accidentally pressed it when you were in one of your chests?

It kinda wouldn't if It's limited to things in your backpack and not in the belt. Though even if it's raw "alldrop" It wouldn't be as bad as dropping the ak to the floor lol because it would only work inside storages. Win win.

Edited by Blake_ (see edit history)

Imagine if you could go into one of your storage containers, type in a specific item in a search bar ("duct tape", for example) and any item that matches whatever you typed in (roughly or exactly) would appear. (Those items would either be highlighted, or it would act like a traditional search/filter system.) One can dream. :p

I don't know the coding but that would the perfect solution. Similar to Arks radial menu and just have the default press open/close or whatever.

I agree with him with the fact though i like visuals (pretty) things so i try to paint my stuff accordingly so my meds crate is the med sign tools tools etc. how hard/easy it is to add a new paint mesh?

Paint textures don't stream so we're kind of limited on space there already.

I had an idea, be able to paint select icon atlas items to a specific block only like a storage chest, on a small square about the size of the food box's icon square. So I'd put the ak47 icon on my gun box, a first aid kit on my first aid box, etc, then people could get pretty granular with storage box icons. We wouldn't expose the entire atlas because sorting through 50,000 items would be a pain, but picking some from each category and exposing to players could be good, and save us texture space on the paintable textures atlas.

It kinda wouldn't if It's limited to things in your backpack and not in the belt. Though even if it's raw "alldrop" It wouldn't be as bad as dropping the ak to the floor lol.

That would be true. Plus another game I play called Terraria works around this by a favoriting system; any favorited items could not be automatically be deposited into chests. It's plausible, in theory.

You can just die and drop all your ♥♥♥♥ if you have it on manly settings :) We'll have a look at some point, we talked about it last week.

Thx for looking into it eventually!

It would be ok for limited uses like oh an air drop is coming I need to unload my crap and go fast, but for most use cases my solution is better. I don't want to put my all my crap in my med box, only medical items I have of the same type. Then every night when I get home from looting I just visit each chest archtype and hit store duplicates and it sorts and stacks my stuff perfectly.

Maybe we can have both. Store all would be easy.

Yeah I wouldn't want ore, meds, gun mods and 50 other unique items dumped into my gun crate.

It would be ok for limited uses like oh an air drop is coming I need to unload my crap and go fast, but for most use cases my solution is better. I don't want to put my all my crap in my med box, only medical items I have of the same type. Then every night when I get home from looting I just visit each chest archtype and hit store duplicates and it sorts and stacks my stuff perfectly.

Having both would be fantastic, to be honest, if that's possible. :) A "smart sort" option and a "dump all" option.

Both? the cake, the mold, the tray and the plate? I'm in.

Yeah I wouldn't want ore, meds, gun mods and 50 other unique items dumped into my gun crate.

I wouldn't know if this would be possible, but a favoriting system could be a way to counteract this. To favorite an item you would press a specific key combination, and that favorited item cannot be removed from your inventory by any means, be it tossing it away, scrapping it, putting it in a chest, etc.; but you can still hand move it around your inventory, as a bonus option. To allow it to regain "free roam", you would simply hit the same key combination while highlighting the item (or after having clicked on it) and it would unfavorite it.

If you made the "Dump all" a three character trigger (like Ctrl, Alt, D), it would be harder to accidentally dump everything. Might I suggest having it only dump your backpack items and not the toolbar stuff?

I wouldn't know if this would be possible, but a favoriting system could be a way to counteract this. To favorite an item you would press a specific key combination, and that favorited item cannot be removed from your inventory by any means, be it tossing it away, scrapping it, putting it in a chest, etc.; but you can still hand move it around your inventory, as a bonus option. To allow it to regain "free roam", you would simply hit the same key combination while highlighting the item (or after having clicked on it) and it would unfavorite it.

That sounds like a way more complicated solution vs the simple one provided by Madmole.

Edited by ZombieSurvivor (see edit history)

That could eventually be annoying as H. Sounds good on paper, but It's a little overcomplicated for that much usefulness that one.

That could eventually be annoying as H. Sounds good on paper, but It's a little overcomplicated for that much usefulness that one.

On second thought, you're probably right. This was just an (unnecessary, over complicated solution) to one problem: smart sorting your dumping all of your ammo away, which probably isn't that much of an issue anyway.

Store all, store duplicates .. are you trying to take all the fun micromanagement away from us? Sounds great! :)

If implementing a "store all", maybe add a "sorting lock" that would tell the game "this is my gear, don't touch it". As in take whatever gear you need for your loot run, click the lock. Rest of the inventory behaves as normal with regards to sorting, storing or looting, but the stuff you have locked won't move. That's something I have wanted just for manual storage since the "sort inventory" button, but with semi-automated "store my stuff"s, it would be even more awesome.

Simply a pimp dream though :)

Paint textures don't stream so we're kind of limited on space there already.

I had an idea, be able to paint select icon atlas items to a specific block only like a storage chest, on a small square about the size of the food box's icon square. So I'd put the ak47 icon on my gun box, a first aid kit on my first aid box, etc, then people could get pretty granular with storage box icons. We wouldn't expose the entire atlas because sorting through 50,000 items would be a pain, but picking some from each category and exposing to players could be good, and save us texture space on the paintable textures atlas.

That sounds great! But also sounds like more work than just adding a bunch of new textures. However you decide to do it, please fix this MM. A lot of players would like it.

I'm confused; is the goal survival or not?

Death is the antithesis of survival.

Maybe the game just needs more rewards for survival to remind folks to survive (since worse death penalties were already tried and got the crowds in arms)?

--

EDIT: After reviewing a few point on the dumping items if one needs in an emergency:

The following are my suggestions:

Drop All (with double confirmation)

Add Dump All to Vehicle in the vehicle storage menus. Vehicles would generally not be sorted containers like the chests in one's home. As such if you have a vehicle nearby, one could use that as an emergency not sorted dump of inventory (much like just throwing one's junk in a car).

Edited by Red Eagle LXIX (see edit history)

There it is! Scientist from, The New World Order, attempted to create: "The Perfect Human".

They turned on all the dormant genes in a group of "volunteers". A side effect is total memory loss. Later, in some unknown accident, the one being tested for resistance to the rabies virus escaped.

Years later, the player, the first successful test subject, was sent to the Navazgane area...

Proving that unrelated side discussions can be useful towards the main discussion!