Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Are sandy beaches and palm trees planned.? Would make a decent biome. :-)

I'm afraid that wouldn't be grim enough for the Fun Pimps. On the other hand, if you look at places like the Salton Sea, the ruins of a former holiday paradise can look very scary.

Hmmm...in fact, that gets me thinking of a something slightly different. The text introduction we have at the moment is fine, but alter the start of the game slightly. Like you wake up with something sharp in your arm and you have to pull it out. It starts bleeding. This is the time the game demonstrates the bleeding debuff and how to quickly make a bandage and apply it.

Then it makes a point to say the maximum health has been lowered until I can patch myself up more (represented by the black bar).

And then of course some food to get your strength back.

Follow it up with a message to say that I don't feel like I have any stamina. I should drink something to increase it.

Actually a great idea for an intro tutorial. Because it will set the tone, after all, we are in a survival game. Stopping the bleeding in time will not work though if you need to craft the bandage first. It needs to be in the inventory or better in the toolbelt already.

And if anyone wants to bring the argument that it is better to simplify something than making a tutorial for it: I've heard of other developers doing focus tests with new players and the impression I got was: You can make the game as simple (and intuitive) as you want there will be always players that still get fundamental things wrong (in most cases probably because they played games before that did it different).

Hi Madmole, I wanted to ask you something, the translation of the books are in Spanish? they are more than 100 books and it would not make sense to find them and not know what they say or what works, I know that by the icon we can know what a skill tree would be, but we would not have a complete saturation when finding a book or mod and not understanding anything From what he says, the same thing happens with the skills, we release them by pure instinct, the translation of the skills was promised being in the A16 for the A17 and now I move on to the A18 please translate the main thing of the game; Skills and books, otherwise we would not enjoy the main thing of this Alpha that are books and skills please keep in mind my suggestion! PLEASE!!

and give them a strong reason to buy the sequel.

Please announce a preliminary date for this. Nobody will read it as a promise, really :cocksure:

BTW, zombies don't attack hatches above a ladder. Why is that? Will that change so hiding upstairs will be a much more challenge?

If u place a ladder undergrond and a hatch ontop of that (so on the bottom floor) they do attack it?

Zombies won't dig unless they sense you and you are below them. I would guess them not attacking hatches above is a bug/missing feature though

It could be done, might be something we do on some duke boss missions where players are questing in there to kill the duke, and basically we don't want anyone getting in or out during that time. But I don't see much value in it for standard game play. It would be kind of annoying to perk into miner 69r and take your amazing pickaxe and then see some wall that is immune to it, just to force some anti sandbox game play on people.

Okay, maybe without the indestructible blocks, but with really hard blocks and chests. Just an idea that came though my head, I only wanted to share it.

Okay, maybe without the indestructible blocks, but with really hard blocks and chests. Just an idea that came though my head, I only wanted to share it.

Or if the chest is broken by force instead of via key/picklock, the contents could break leaving you with just ingredients like a bit of paper and mechanical parts instead of awesome loot.

Or if the chest is broken by force instead of via key/picklock, the contents could break leaving you with just ingredients like a bit of paper and mechanical parts instead of awesome loot.

Yes, i mean, what i'm addressing with this idea is the fact that people like to go directly to the loot room, ignoring the hard work that level designers did for every POI.

That isn't fair right?

I also don't believe the "Turrets on the last room" idea that Madmole said is good. They also can ignore the rest of the POI. Just learn where the switches to turn them off are, and after a couple of times that you do the same POI you already know every possible position.

That's why it has to be something completely random, so there's no chance to predict how to get to the loot room.

Just a thought.

Yes, i mean, what i'm addressing with this idea is the fact that people like to go directly to the loot room, ignoring the hard work that level designers did for every POI.

That isn't fair right?

I also don't believe the "Turrets on the last room" idea that Madmole said is good. They also can ignore the rest of the POI. Just learn where the switches to turn them off are, and after a couple of times that you do the same POI you already know every possible position.

That's why it has to be something completely random, so there's no chance to predict how to get to the loot room.

Just a thought.

Imo they should refrain from extensively using such pinata rooms. More evenly distributed loot makes more sense for most prefabs anyway. It's just more believable and it may, together with the randomness that you suggest, improve the situation significantly.

Holy crap talk about over kill lol. I was thinking on a normal server. I believe in that case. I'm not going to test something that would never happen on the servers i play on.

If you feel it causes lag maybe it does, do you mean lag or a drop in FPS? That looks like it might cause a drop in FPS when looking at it but server wide lag, not sure about that. either way this honestly doesn't interest me as i do not and have never played on servers that have this kind of stuff built. Thanks for the pics though, i see where you were coming from now :)

EDIT: just wanted to clarify, i doubt its wires that would cause server wide lag, it would be pressure plates, the amount of generators etc. that eats up CPU server side.

EDIT 2: I just re-read what you said, nevermind we are basically on the same page lol. yeah not wires but everything else. agreed

P.S. if you are the one that built that electrical sign, I give you props! Very impressive. I thought I was a mad man when it came to wiring up stuff, you make me and my skills look like sh*t compared to yours lol ;)

Sorry for the late reply. There is a drop in FPS if I look at the wires. However, the freeze 1 - 2 seconds when approaching the them is more annoying.^^ Afaik, it's a client-only issue that doesn't affects other players on the server. Anyway, happy wiring. ;)

Imo they should refrain from extensively using such pinata rooms. More evenly distributed loot makes more sense for most prefabs anyway. It's just more believable and it may, together with the randomness that you suggest, improve the situation significantly.

On the other hand, someone who has fought his way through the dungeon expects something valuable in the end. I don't know of any dungeon where that's not the case.

How about making the key shut off the turret instead of giving access to the loot?

There are already pois with steel walls that protect the loot room, it just doesn't make sense to adopt this everywhere. The idea to have multiple versions of the same poi with the loot room in different places would hinder shortcutting too but be much better for the game than creating artificial walls that look like wood but act like steel

How about making the key shut off the turret instead of giving access to the loot?

There are already pois with steel walls that protect the loot room, it just doesn't make sense to adopt this everywhere. The idea to have multiple versions of the same poi with the loot room in different places would hinder shortcutting too but be much better for the game than creating artificial walls that look like wood but act like steel

in a17, i just alwayss carry an auger with 2000 gas. no block stands between me and cheesed loot.

Then again, that is not the best way to do it :p

On the other hand, someone who has fought his way through the dungeon expects something valuable in the end. I don't know of any dungeon where that's not the case.

There are games that distribute their loot along the way. Just think about The Forest or Morrowind. They have some loot rooms yes, but it's not that artificial. Often the best loot can be found in the middle of a dungeon and is distributed over several places.

I have a couple of questions about the new schematics. I know that you can read schematics that you've already read once and get 50 xp for it.

Q1: Will you get a warning when you try to read a schematic that you've already read?

Q2: Does the schematic icon look any different for the ones you've already read?

I'm asking because I usually play with friends, and I'd rather give schematics that I've read to them, than to use them for the xp. I was wondering if I'd have to check my perk list to see whether or not I've read them already.

No the icon changes. I didn't show that because its still temp/ugly.

If I recall correctly, a while back he said they were going to change from showing the temperature to showing how far you are from a comfortable temperature. So -13 would be 13 below your comfort zone, I believe

That I think is done, but weather hasn't changed.

I'm sure young gamers also expect a boss in the end room. And in a few years the games industry will have them conditioned to expect to pay real money for the privilege to access the loot box. :cocksure:

But you got a point. Similar to novels needing an arc of suspense a POI should end on a "high note". How about this: The end room gives you one hidden box or an item of a class you seldom find anywhere else. But quantitatively much less than in the rest of the dungeon.

This could be for example a single box where you are guaranteed to find a book. Or one "hidden box" where you usually find diamonds or a good weapon.

It still might make sense for looters to circumvent the rest of the dungeon, sure, but their payout is much less.

Great video, as always! And I noticed that when you stun an enemy, you get a stunned icon in your lower left. Is it intended or is it one of the MF bugs? For me it looks confusing, as I used to get this icon when I was stunned.

I think its one of the top end club perks to let you know your window to do x.

BTW, zombies don't attack hatches above a ladder. Why is that? Will that change so hiding upstairs will be a much more challenge?

If u place a ladder undergrond and a hatch ontop of that (so on the bottom floor) they do attack it?

I'm sure Faatal can fix that if its true.

(edit added comment by QA Tester-unholyjoe)

reported

Archived