Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Hoard night

Guys while I like this tower defense mentality is great. I really do believe that players should think outside of the box. Or outside of the tower that is haha.

After all it's you that the zombies are after. Not your loot or anything else that you may have.

I mean why spend so much time worrying and building defenses when you could think of other ways to survive on hoard night?

There are other ways to survive an endless sprinting hoard if you want to and no, I am not just talking about digging a hole and jumping into it.

All you have to do is to look around and think about it. There ways out there in the world. All you have to do is get creative and find a different way.

This is how you are going to play it huh? I did listen to your POV and I posed questions as well but since anything I type is going to be labeled as “auto-defense yes-man” drivel instead of acknowledged as another POV that contributes to the convo I guess I’ll let you have the echo chamber you want and not pose any more counterpoints.

I’ve said my piece and will let that stand.

I'm sorry but it's how it was. I know I come off as... abrasive sometimes, but I thought I posed that particular question well. I wanted to know in a18, what the balance was against a stealth build being useless in horde nights.

I know that overall you're more than a "yes man", but I also know that you do tow the party line (which you should). It's sometimes difficult to discern between the two, so if I got it wrong, I got it wrong.

Stop being offended, you know me better than that.

okay lets rephrase that:

don't make them sleepers... more like... fixed spawners, that are then added to the world. Because currently the server saves a lot of active zombies, so spawning them outside of buildings as "roamers" should save them too if you go out of sight again.

Why rephrase, as Gup told it pretty clearly. Its a balanced system that needs its touches and details. Ya, placing more of them out sounds easy, but who wanna play with 2.3 fps in tough moments, rise your hands.

Game doesn't need any additional zombies from other pois. The towers im doing in my world are full of zombies. So much so I have stopped doing them. You spend 500 ammo to get back 100. Now I'm no math guy but that's a bad ratio.

Getting back bullet for bullet is not good either. Same goes for horde night.

For horde night, the reward should be the survival if all of the exploits and cheese were removed. Ammo might be a good reward for surviving BM because while you do not gain anything, it cancels out the loss... but setting that aside because that’s not changing much for A18... for the larger, more dangerous tasks you give yourself such as clearing a tower, the reward should be great, but not ammo. Ammo was the preparation for doing this in the first place. I’m hoping A18’s content brings some of these rewards with the weapon stats and books.

We can consider that.

Consider that a stealth ability to remain hidden in a shadow as long as you don’t move results in a night of standing still in a shadow. Scintillating gameplay....

Question: How is this an improvement over standing in your base protected by traps or your fellow compatriots if in a MP server.

I pray this question helps others (and myself) better formulate our own opinions.

Consider that a stealth ability to remain hidden in a shadow as long as you don’t move results in a night of standing still in a shadow. Scintillating gameplay....

Question: How is this an improvement over standing in your base protected by traps or your fellow compatriots if in a MP server.

I pray this question helps others better formulate their own opinion.

Well you already know what my reply is going to be... if someone wants to sit there all horde night while their friends are destroying zombies, that's their choice on how they want to play. A consideration should be the shared XP then, which frankly I'm against anyway.

Underground bases, let 'em, but fix the imbalances (add UG dangers). Grinding stoneaxes for experience, let 'em, but fix the imbalances (grinding stone axes shouldn't let you learn how to make concrete). Sitting still on a horde night, let 'em, but fix the imbalance (no shared XP).

I just don't get all of this "you must play a certain way" talk, but I'm an old soul...

I'm sorry but it's how it was. I know I come off as... abrasive sometimes, but I thought I posed that particular question well. I wanted to know in a18, what the balance was against a stealth build being useless in horde nights.

I know that overall you're more than a "yes man", but I also know that you do tow the party line (which you should). It's sometimes difficult to discern between the two, so if I got it wrong, I got it wrong.

How about having more ammunition to fight the horde with?

Someone killing Z's with guns blazing to get ammo will have far less on hordenight then a guy who does it melee/with a 2.5x crit multiplier.

They do; some poi's have them outside, but the issue is when they're outside, you can see them pop in when you get close. Sleepers work great in tight spaces with no lines of sight, but horribly out in the open.

I think sleepers are a great addition to 7days, but not a great replacement for the old system. But it sounds like they're aware of the issue at least and are coming up with a solution? :hopeful:

Wow, I agree with the Gup man. Sleepers would have been a nice addition on top of the old spawn system. Not the primary method of encountering zombies

How about having more ammunition to fight the horde with?

Someone killing Z's with guns blazing to get ammo will have far less on hordenight then a guy who does it melee/with a 2.5x crit multiplier.

Once guns are balanced I hope this is the case, but if I'm able to one shot a glowing cop with a spiked brass knuckle yet several dozen rounds of 9mm in his face does nothing because I didn't spend points in shooting, then I'm going to focus on combat perks each and every time.

I gave an honest reply with my analysis of how the builds were balanced. I’m not so much offended as that I see a conversation in which we do not agree is useless if your stated attitude Regarding my posts is how you really see it. Since your other tactic is to later state that your opinion was just never serious anyway there is no reason to go on.

I’m not against stealth players having an ability on horde night as long as

A) It means they don’t become OP builds with no disadvantages at all and

B) The “ability” isn’t standing in a shadow for the entire event doing nothing or even going AFK until it’s over.

Is that the "city masks" you were referring to in an earlier post? Very much looking forward to that, for a number of reasons... (mostly radiation related).

- - - Updated - - -

Not to keep beating a dead horse, but is Rust? I mean, in its current state, how it's actually played now...

Meh I dunno; my request for Lean wasn't serious anyway, but I do think it serves a purpose.

Yes so we can do a variety of things like add more zombies, radiation, smoke, a name of a town region for discovery XP, etc.

When I play Rust its gathering ingredients to get started, getting a base going, then expanding your tech, and eventually striving to be the dominant force on the server, raiding people, let them rebuild, raid again, etc. Very similar to 7 Days as far as survival and setting up a base and gathering tech.

I'm not against lean, but we're against adding new features that aren't absolutely necessary until existing features are polished to a shippable state. We have loads of 3rd person anim cleanup to do, so no lean until those are done.

I gave an honest reply with my analysis of how the builds were balanced. I’m not so much offended as that I see a conversation in which we do not agree is useless if your stated attitude Regarding my posts is how you really see it. Since your other tactic is to later state that your opinion was just never serious anyway there is no reason to go on.

I’m not against stealth players having an ability on horde night as long as

A) It means they don’t become OP builds with no disadvantages at all and

B) The “ability” isn’t standing in a shadow for the entire event doing nothing or even going AFK until it’s over.

Wait, are we talking about Lean or Stealth? Lean was a joke, Stealth was a serious question. Stealth sounds awesome as a build in every way except on horde nights, and I wasn't sure if the balance between those two (awesome 6 days a week : useless on day 7) existed. Some people have made some good points but it still sounds like you'll be sitting around on horde nights.

Honest question:

Why don't oyu simply make pois have "sleepers" outside, that are set to wander around like normal spawning Z's?

This would automaticially increase spawnrate near populated areas and small villages won't be overrun, since there are limited houses...

Seems to me like the most obvious and easiest way to do it.

Because you would see them spawn. Sleepers are invisible, free until you get into the POI or very close. They also need a place to go sleep when you run away, and you might see them despawn.

Same as 17, get a jar or can. Why would you drink unboiled water lol. Better off dying. Well before you were. Now... lol. Secret feature.

Well, this quote will certainly stir up the nest... =)

Before "blank", you were better off dying if you drank murky water. So, "blank" must be a feature that gets you healthier, therefore "blank" is...

?

Well you already know what my reply is going to be... if someone wants to sit there all horde night while their friends are destroying zombies, that's their choice on how they want to play. A consideration should be the shared XP then, which frankly I'm against anyway.

Underground bases, let 'em, but fix the imbalances (add UG dangers). Grinding stoneaxes for experience, let 'em, but fix the imbalances (grinding stone axes shouldn't let you learn how to make concrete). Sitting still on a horde night, let 'em, but fix the imbalance (no shared XP).

I just don't get all of this "you must play a certain way" talk, but I'm an old soul...

Enabling a “tactic” where the player just sits still for 10-20 minutes of real-time does offer that choice. However, it will also result in lots of negative reviews and feedback that if you take stealth you are “forced” to stand still in a shadow during blood moon. Even people who hate it will do it because it’s there and they bought the perk for it.

It’s just like the criticism we have heard pre-A16 about how there was nothing to do at night because people just stayed inside their base sitting around waiting for the sun to come up. With A16s broken zombies at night and A17s broken zombie speed more and more people have gone outside at night and that particular negative feedback has abated.

Enabling a “tactic” where the player just sits still for 10-20 minutes of real-time does offer that choice. However, it will also result in lots of negative reviews and feedback that if you take stealth you are “forced” to stand still in a shadow during blood moon. Even people who hate it will do it because it’s there and they bought the perk for it.

It’s just like the criticism we have heard pre-A16 about how there was nothing to do at night because people just stayed inside their base sitting around waiting for the sun to come up. With A16s broken zombies at night and A17s broken zombie speed more and more people have gone outside at night and that particular negative feedback has abated.

this guy knows what he is talking about :)

The desire to sit still on a horde night while your friends are having fun around you is probably the same as the desire to log off and take a long poop; those people are going to be the lowest percentage of minorities, but by having a "personal heat map" even moving or hell if you're sick, coughing would attract attention... and, it's simply one suggestion out of two made so far. I'm certainly open to others.

Archived