Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Why do i want experience for nothing?, it will artificially inflate my gamestage without giving me anything in return like iron or wood or usefull loot or stats etc...

How is it nothing? You want a T-shirt that says "I killed 50 zombies and all I got was a book worth nothing"?

Giving some XP for reading makes more sense than chopping wood. At least the filler books give you a bit of xp.

tbh, I have never been a fan of the way gamestage is currently calculated.

Any plans to potentially update gamestage calculation to something else like days survived? Leveling up seems like a penalty. But if GS is calculated based upon days survived, the opposite would occur - leveling up would be a survival mechanism to keep you on par with zombies.

Or let me rephrase - days survived is a function already, but nothing compared to leveling up. Days survived should have a bigger influence

Or, simply balance the progression better. The formula is fine, progression has too big of gaps in it.

Your solution would let someone who goes AFK for a few hours getting raped by a horde way beyond his means. Or say you spend a week building your base but don't do much, your game gets harder for a not very good reason. Sorry bro, you've been breathing too long, here comes some zombies with nukes attached to their backs. Not fair IMO.

I know rwg is being worked on. But wondering rwg should have its own tab in the in game menu with lot's of options.

- Like hills true false.

- Mountains true false.

- Amount of deco 5% 10% 25% etc.

- Flat world true false or can be percentage. So we people who like pois to actually spawn and big pois to actually spawn can with a complete flat world.

- Big cities true false

- small cities true false

- amount of biomes 4/5/6/7/8 etc

- weather events none mild medium lots storming

- mother nature events - cyclone /flooding/monsoonal/avalanches etc

- water types lakes/rivers/oceans etc

Our goal is to first get a bug free version with no options. Then we can consider adding options. Giving you guys bells and whistles make our job impossible. A bug free rwg has eluded us forever, its time to put that to an end. Anyhow, its easy to expose options later, we just want something solid first.

meh...sounds good in theory but I've been playing that way while testing my mod and it is not good. I am trying to figure out ways to increase gamestage faster than simply days survived because currenty I have no way to level up in my mod so I am forever level 1. So gamestage is pretty much purely a function of days survived and that is way too slow of a difficulty progression (and I'm betting even for most anyone).

I'd just do GS pois. You want tier 5 loot, go to a tier 5 poi.

Do you have plans to re-do the way the stamina system works in A-18? I find the A17 version incredibly frustrating. I'll be at over 150 in food and water and yet my stamina bar is 25% blacked out. Why is that? If your food and water levels are over 100 then stamina should replenish itself to full capacity on it's own. The way the system currently works you have to eat and drink to force your stamina levels to go up even if both levels are well over 100.

Do you have plans to re-do the way the stamina system works in A-18? I find the A17 version incredibly frustrating. I'll be at over 150 in food and water and yet my stamina bar is 25% blacked out. Why is that? If your food and water levels are over 100 then stamina should replenish itself to full capacity on it's own. The way the system currently works you have to eat and drink to force your stamina levels to go up even if both levels are well over 100.

That sounds like a bug. I'm thinking primary actions and walk should use ZERO stamina, so your not getting hungry doing basic activities. Only power attacks and sprinting should consume stamina, which is what makes you hungry and or incapacitates your stamina. This would cause less eating / drinking so that would need some balance, but I think would play better.

How is it nothing? You want a T-shirt that says "I killed 50 zombies and all I got was a book worth nothing"?

Giving some XP for reading makes more sense than chopping wood. At least the filler books give you a bit of xp.

I want a tshirt that says "I read this book and all i got was stronger bloodmoon hordes"

I want a tshirt that says "I read this book and all i got was stronger bloodmoon hordes"

Turn down the difficulty or block damage? I'm talking 50 xp, something trival so all the clutter books you find aren't complete garbage.

Turn down the difficulty or block damage? I'm talking 50 xp, something trival so all the clutter books you find aren't complete garbage.

Dont get me wrong i love difficult games. I play this game on hard settings and dead is dead. I like barely being able to survive. Id want it to be harder to be honest.

With all that said however, once in game, i dont feel the need to purposely hinder myself by getting my gamestage inflated by useless XP.

Anyway not a big deal, im just being a pest, its in my nature, i apologize.

Your solution would let someone who goes AFK for a few hours getting raped by a horde way beyond his means. Or say you spend a week building your base but don't do much, your game gets harder for a not very good reason. Sorry bro, you've been breathing too long, here comes some zombies with nukes attached to their backs. Not fair IMO.

Broadly speaking, I'm a fan of the idea of survive-to-thrive (as a mod, perhaps; I've got no beef with the current do-stuff-for-XP model). But I always pictured it as XP for surviving, not GS for surviving. So everybody who survives X days will have essentially the same ability to skill/perk up. I guess, though that GS is largely based on character level so maybe this is a distinction without a difference.

But I don't have any issue with a player who goes AFK for 10 in-game days getting destroyed by zombies. Obviously, the nature of the game needs to be communicated; you don't want players being surprised when they get obliterated after doing nothing to further their own chances of survival. The nature of the (modded) game is simply this: survive by whatever means you can, for as long as you can. The world your character is in follows some rules, which we have made clear, and there are tools you can use and techniques for surviving which you can learn. The zombies also are learning, day by day, and will be slightly stronger each day you survive.

Or you can go AFK for several days, and get your a** handed to you. Your choice.

I'd play that mod. 50 quatloos to the person who builds it!

Dont get me wrong i love difficult games. I play this game on hard settings and dead is dead. I like barely being able to survive. Id want it to be harder to be honest.

With all that said however, once in game, i dont feel the need to purposely hinder myself by getting my gamestage inflated by useless XP.

Why is getting XP useless, though? It levels you up, thus getting more perks. And if you don't want the XP for whatever reason, sell it. Or get paper from it.

Our goal is to first get a bug free version with no options. Then we can consider adding options. Giving you guys bells and whistles make our job impossible. A bug free rwg has eluded us forever, its time to put that to an end. Anyhow, its easy to expose options later, we just want something solid first.

Totally understand and agree be great to have a bug free rwg. Do look forward to seeing the new rwg. And possibly later options after

Don't read the books then, sell them or leave them behind, scrap them to paper, etc. We always allow choices.

@madmole

Any chance of better multi-core utilization for us guys with big core count CPU's?

Me love you long time if you make it happen. :)

I'm not really the one to talk to about this, but a while back I heard that its more about optimizing the main thread so that it can use multi core more effectively, if the main thread is bottlenecked bad it won't help. Like we already are, but we need to improve the main thread, which I believe we are, I keep reading about lots of optimizations the guys are doing.

@madmole

Any chance of better multi-core utilization for us guys with big core count CPU's?

Me love you long time if you make it happen. :)

I'm not really the one to talk to about this, but a while back I heard that its more about optimizing the main thread so that it can use multi core more effectively, if the main thread is bottlenecked bad it won't help. Like we already are, but we need to improve the main thread, which I believe we are, I keep reading about lots of optimizations the guys are doing.

Yeah but you are the Co-Owner of the company and you can inquire about it, just sayin'.

Why do i want experience for nothing?, it will artificially inflate my gamestage without giving me anything in return like iron or wood or usefull loot or stats etc...

Agree to that, the idea of game is to survive, not to get experience in surviving. XP is sideline thing that only make game interested, but shouldn't be a main focus at all. Surviving is.

- - - Updated - - -

New High res icons.

all looks great except shotgun shell icons. too much red/transparency. can we keep it real?

Yeah but you are the Co-Owner of the company and you can inquire about it, just sayin'.

I guess he knows his role, and he does inquire about it. But then it is not his field of work to explain us better than a developer. So he let someone like Fataal to do the explanation on optimization to us. Fair enough?

I'd just do GS pois. You want tier 5 loot, go to a tier 5 poi.

I think there is alot of people who actually would like that concept vs the game stage system.

The tricky part is how achieve that organically and balance some type of progression over time. I suppose one way is to put higher tier POIs in distinct biomes such as destroyed/radiated vs. Lower tier POIs in forest biomes. We technically had something like that when we had a central city within the destroyed biome at coordinate 0,0. Those were fun times as the spawn rate was more challenging in that area.

There is also the matter of blood moon hordes. Perhaps the game stage mechanic could remain but only for blood moon hordes.

Archived