Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

For me personally it's too much of one gameplay mechanic. I have been playing borderlands mod. 100% all zombies all the time. Balance. I'm just speaking for myself mind you but too much zombie slaying makes the game feel put of balance.

Some may like it, and that's cool. But it would annoy alot of people.

- - - Updated - - -

This is the solution. Roland strikes again!

No, tin has the right solution... Biome the cities like they used to be so that you can increase the count only there where it actually makes sense. And no, my game isn't broken (and neither are the other people's who are saying the same thing), cities are loot fests. Zero additional zombie count from any other poi, and zero additional zombie count from any other biome.

Just, more pois, which means more loot boxes. And unfortunately, the same loot.

I was feeling super accomplished for figuring out a quick an easy way to access the roof top loot area (without resorting to nerd poling)

I salute you for practicing and employing a skillful way to land the gyrocopter as an alternative to nerd poling. That’s awesome.

...and planted my gyro on one side of the roof.

You lost my respect by picking up your gyrocopter and placing it somewhere else. I know the game allows it but in my mind if you want to avoid nerdpoling you should avoid this as well. Picking up a bicycle—okay. Picking up Jeeps and gyrocopters—magic on par with nerdpoling. (Yes I know there’s already a ton of concrete in the backpack...)

The stunt of driving off a too short runway and letting the acceleration of the fall get you up to speed is awesome again, however. I think the whole adventure would’ve been even better if you were forced to deal with getting your gyrocopter off the roof from where you landed it.

end of june MM stated 4-6 weeks and in prior posts he mentins "didnt we say 4-6 weeks at the end of june?"

so im just gona hope and wait while i test my theroy to enclose the trader and surround it with turrets

My current seed I spawned in a forest biome and the trader was just a short jog away. after investigating my surroundings I found a second trader that was only around 100 meters or so away from the first. They were so close they were within easy visible distance from each other even with trees between them. I immediately started my base a short distance away lol.

Thats another thing, gyro copters. like i cant make a decent garage for it.

Can we get like a 3x3 "vault" door for those things?

Also another topic. who here would want the draw bridge to be 3 wide and not 4? I am super ♥♥♥♥ with symmetry and having it be 4 wide gives me nightmares compared to if it was 3 wide Q.Q

Thats another thing, gyro copters. like i cant make a decent garage for it.

Can we get like a 3x3 "vault" door for those things?

Also another topic. who here would want the draw bridge to be 3 wide and not 4? I am super ♥♥♥♥ with symmetry and having it be 4 wide gives me nightmares compared to if it was 3 wide Q.Q

Why?

You can just pick it up and keep it in a storage chest....

/s

I salute you for practicing and employing a skillful way to land the gyrocopter as an alternative to nerd poling. That’s awesome.

You lost my respect by picking up your gyrocopter and placing it somewhere else. I know the game allows it but in my mind if you want to avoid nerdpoling you should avoid this as well. Picking up a bicycle—okay. Picking up Jeeps and gyrocopters—magic on par with nerdpoling. (Yes I know there’s already a ton of concrete in the backpack...)

The stunt of driving off a too short runway and letting the acceleration of the fall get you up to speed is awesome again, however. I think the whole adventure would’ve been even better if you were forced to deal with getting your gyrocopter off the roof from where you landed it.

True, it is a bit cheap to yank my gyro up. And honestly, it probably would have been fine had I left it where it landed. I will probably try that from now on. It wasn't hard keeping the zombies back with my sledge hammer so as long as I was careful it should be safe as long as I don't put it between them and me.

Dealing with where it landed wasn't really a problem. This particular spot was a small rooftop helipad anyway lol (bonus points for realism hahaha). All that really had to be done was chopping up the railings and the random clutter objects so there was an unobstructed path off the edge. Dropping off the edge before climbing back into the sky was definitely an awesome feeling though.

EDIT: something tells me Madmole could pick up a jeep or gyro if he REALLY wanted to lol, so, you know, if you go full strength build you could justify it as having super manly muscles hahaha

@madmole You mentioned a new mechanic in A18 about a "rage mode" for zombies? (Forgive me if I am mistaken about this.) Just curious, will this rage mechanic activate in all encounters with zombies, or only some? I'm assuming it's the latter.

Also, from what I've been hearing about A18 so far, I am very pumped and I have full faith that it will be a phenomenal chapter in the 7D2D history books. Keep up the excellent work. (:

No, tin has the right solution... Biome the cities like they used to be so that you can increase the count only there where it actually makes sense. And no, my game isn't broken (and neither are the other people's who are saying the same thing), cities are loot fests. Zero additional zombie count from any other poi, and zero additional zombie count from any other biome.

Just, more pois, which means more loot boxes. And unfortunately, the same loot.

No. I do if the 1x, 2x, 3x, 4x, 5x options can be set independently per biome. Then you can do whatever your rig can handle and make certain biomes more difficult if you want it that way.

And I would suggest this be done for 18.2 like the other options were done for 17.2 so that it doesn’t delay experimental from being released.

No. I do if the 1x, 2x, 3x, 4x, 5x options can be set independently per biome. Then you can do whatever your rig can handle and make certain biomes more difficult if you want it that way.

And I would suggest this be done for 18.2 like the other options were done for 17.2 so that it doesn’t delay experimental from being released.

I hope not, hard locking biomes like that will surely be a bad idea, especially for any modding potential. Just a general zombie count in the world setting should do for that, biome difficulty can scale along this way. Maybe a few more for the wandering horde counts, heat horde counts, sleepers etc.

Having an entirely seperate biome that exists as a mask over the city is a far better solution than even more options. This biome can then have its's own decorations appropriate for a post apocalyptic city and spawns adjusted to the density of buildings. This way some biomes could even be scaled down further (though the biome spawns are not granular enough to allow this fine control sadly, without resorting to dummy spawns).

It's close. Still some glaring unfinished things.

Its definitely nice to know it is getting close!

I also love how much you guys interact with the community. Others can say what they will about delays and lack of "concrete" information on releases, or even complain about what may or may not make it into a given update, but having dealt with other games where the developers maintain almost complete radio silence I really appreciate that you guys regularly reply to comments on the forums and keep us in the loop within reasonable expectations.

Ive been with 7DTD since the kickstarter (I still remember when all terrain was square blocks and how awesome the terrain smoothing feature was the first time I saw it) and while I take breaks from time to time I always come back when new features drop and A18 is looking to be the most exciting yet for me personally!

For me personally it's too much of one gameplay mechanic. I have been playing borderlands mod. 100% all zombies all the time. Balance. I'm just speaking for myself mind you but too much zombie slaying makes the game feel put of balance.

I don't want more zombie slaying or anything. What I want is just for the game to be less predictable and more dynamic. Sleepers were "supposed" to be sprinkled among the zombies so that they can surprise the player, but what we got instead were POIs with many guaranteed sleepers, room after room. If 95% of zombies are sleepers any element of surprise is lost.

Why?

You can just pick it up and keep it in a storage chest....

As posted before, it‘s very easy picking up your vehicle and storing it in a chest, way too easy. Thats why I liked the fact of assembling the minibike in A16.. Then you think twice of disassembling and storing the parts in the chest. Plus it takes up more inventory. Otherwise if you cannot continue on the road, pick it up and walk or run. Good or bad? For me again too easy. Hope you find a proper balance. Thanks.

Not trying to hype here at all. My son is a big Rust, Ark, Day Z fan. He's played 7 days in the past but usually cheated stuff in and never took it too serious and doesn't have a ton of hours in it. I gave him access to A18 and he played a good 8 hour stretch and loves it! He liked doing quests and loved random stats and all the loot, and specializing. He built a big fort even though I told him not to and that its better to wait until you get better tools. He did 5 quests in a day, I was impressed, but the dig quests are easy, only 300 meters away at tier 1. I think the improved animations made combat feel better to him, he plays fortnite a lot, so having better firearm mechanics and animations is important to him.

Anyhow I thought it was great he liked it a lot and I could tell he was totally immersed because he kept wanting to show me his base and gear he found. He didn't really get into A17. Drove the new vehicles (cheated them in) but didn't really get sucked into it. So this is awesome.

You can't always put your finger on what is wrong or off on something. But playing it a LOT myself revealed what it needed bit by bit. Its been a mountain of work for me personally but I know it will pay off. I'm super proud of A18 and I can't wait to get it out.

How old is he btw? :)

im trying to stick to realism. i hate picking up my vehicles constantly. especially when playing by myself. like it all pretty i suppose

Two-faced Roland in action :cocksure:

I thought it would be obvious I was being sarcastic with my reply. I too am against being able to pick up vehicles once they are placed in the world. I’ll fix my post...

Archived