Sign in to follow this  
madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

No as the devs feel it is better to have less clutter on screen to help with immersion, which I would have to agree with.

FYI just in the case you did not know. When your thirst or hunger gets low you will have an icon pop up on screen informing you of those stats. You can also install a simple mod that will show hunger and thirst on the HUD.

I know the icon is there, but it doesn't appear until you're already very low (around 60ish I think). I'd rather know if I have "room" to eat right now so I can declutter my inventory. I don't think a couple little bars is really very much clutter. Plus, it's not clutter if the information it's displaying is important. Oh well, I guess I'll have to mod it in, though I still think it's a mistake to not include it by default, I think most players would want to know a basic piece of info like their current hunger/thirst in a survival game.

Hit me baby one more time?

I thought that you said that you were tamed.

TFP releases on a schedule of "It's done when it's done." So, don't get too wound up about not having a date, or if a date is given and it gets missed. :)

-A

something something bridges

*not mine

Woah... Is that rwg with bridges somehow enabled?

why yes, yes it is.

Bridges will be in A18 when needed to cross water and have a new more modern looking prefab.

Not sure if, in that video, they used the prefab that is in A17 and placed them by hand or if I accidentally copied some stuff over when I was doing 17.4 fixes.

To someone that was asking about melee grazing hits a week or so ago, sorry, was very busy.

Grazing hits will not hit the entity directly under the crosshair, they will only be hit by the direct hit.

Grazing hits will give 10% of the damage of a normal direct hit.

Grazing hits have their own events for buff proccing, etc.

All of these values are adjustable via XML, mods, perks, etc.

I want to at some point give you a full damage hit from the next glancing blow after dead center if dead center doesn't hit anything. This may come prior to or just after A18. I have to see how best to implement it without it being OP though.

Bridges will be in A18 when needed to cross water and have a new more modern looking prefab.

Not sure if, in that video, they used the prefab that is in A17 and placed them by hand or if I accidentally copied some stuff over when I was doing 17.4 fixes.

I corrected and rotated the two existing prefabs that are in A17.4 and then let the code of the random gen do the placing. Just needed some more water on the map (and if the prefab is not renamed this generated errors during creation).

Awesomesauce. Word on the street that was generated. Not sure if it was XML or dll that enabled it though.

...I kinda liked the steel grates btw.

It's funny as we were promised alpha 18 in the first half of 2019 first, then end of July, beginning of August, now when is done. Are these devs competing against Todd Howard for the "Liar of the year" cuz I really don't get it...

You can find press releases that are looked over a few times so no spontaneous information directly from developers gets through over on the official site.

If you view date estimates that they missed as lies, then yes, TFP is easily the most crooked lying developer on the planet. Howard is an amateur in lying compared to them. They made an art form out of it. :cocksure:

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

I corrected and rotated the two existing prefabs that are in A17.4 and then let the code of the random gen do the placing. Just needed some more water on the map (and if the prefab is not renamed this generated errors during creation).

That makes sense. diff prefab, diff name but the code is there, well, parts of it anyway. Whoops.

Can confirm it spawns very rarely on 17 rwg maps. It will throw a null on world previewer.

2019-07-31T15:14:10 215.861 ERR Loading prefab "rwg_bridge_end_01" failed: Block name to ID mapping file missing.

2019-07-31T15:14:10 215.862 ERR Loading prefab "rwg_bridge_tile_01" failed: Block name to ID mapping file missing.

2019-07-31T15:14:10 215.862 ERR Loading prefab "rwg_bridge_end_01" failed: Block name to ID mapping file missing.

it is quite rare though

That makes sense. diff prefab, diff name but the code is there, well, parts of it anyway. Whoops.

It is fun to play with though.

If you get some time, can you do a run down on the future of the rwgmixer? pls and ty.

Hey Madmole, have you ever had thoughts on a power tool that is better than the wrench for speeding up harvesting cars? I did notice in A17 it slowed down and was curious, i've always wanted like a portable powered ratchet to tear stuff apart, i know not too realistic but i think it would help, and when it comes to electricity, I hope one day we can get a perk book to unlock bigger generators that only need gas and not engines inside of them to run.

Even a ratchet would be faster than a monkey wrench by a long shot. Yes we've talked about it, maybe A19 so the harvest guy has some progression.

Hey, just watched the video demonstrating the books. Well done! Correct me if I'm wrong, but things I immediately noticed different were cloud movement and the music. And was the bunny cuter? I think the animations were better as well? The perk tree seemed different as well? Not grouped like it used to be.

And I'm liking the higher resolution icons.

Sometimes just replacing one thing makes other things look better. New sounds can make a game feel way more fun, even though its the same exact gameplay, new anims can make the AI seem smarter or combat more fluid, even though under the hood is the same. Its a lot of smoke and mirrors sometimes and a bit of code too.

I'd like to see the return of more wandering Z's in the biomes, and in the city POIs, plus the threat of a better targetted wandering horde... I rarely encounter those threats anymore.

A few more tier 5 quests would be good too, coz currently once you're fit for 5 it can get very repetitive very quickly.

I don't get this desire for more zeds in cities. I go break into a POI and every time half a dozen zeds from outside start trying to bust into the POI and its annoying as hell worrying about getting sandwiched.

Tier 3 is kind of nuts sometimes, the bear den is a no go without bullets.

Well, I’ll be. I have no memory of that at all.

ZombieHorde WINNER!

Well looking forward to see the real deal when we get to A18. Any chance of some lifting of the veil while we impatiently wait :)

I don't get this desire for more zeds in cities.

Because this is a zombie game and zombies are cool and fun to smash in the head. Also makes it bit more challenging.

I know the icon is there, but it doesn't appear until you're already very low (around 60ish I think). I'd rather know if I have "room" to eat right now so I can declutter my inventory. I don't think a couple little bars is really very much clutter. Plus, it's not clutter if the information it's displaying is important. Oh well, I guess I'll have to mod it in, though I still think it's a mistake to not include it by default, I think most players would want to know a basic piece of info like their current hunger/thirst in a survival game.

The blue stamina bar max = hunger. As long as your stamina max is all the way to the right you know your hunger is greater or equal to 100. As soon as your stamina max dips below and reads 95 or 90 or 85 etc you know your exact hunger by glancing at the screen.

Yes, a warning pops up when your hunger goes below 75 I believe but you’ll be able to tell immediately by looking at the stamina bar as soon as it goes below 100 (or whatever the max is later on)

I don't get this desire for more zeds in cities. I go break into a POI and every time half a dozen zeds from outside start trying to bust into the POI and its annoying as hell worrying about getting sandwiched.

Tier 3 is kind of nuts sometimes, the bear den is a no go without bullets.

Really? It made cities dangerous. Now they're just... Loot boxes closer together.

Honestly surprised you don't feel the same.

• Like 1

Just a thought... it can be problematic not knowing where the outer border of a "Stay Within" quest exists, for two reasons - you sometimes want to back away from a stream of Z's, but without terminating the quest by stepping out of the quest zone (yes, I'm aware of the changing colour indicator wrt this).

Additionally, I've lost gear that I've stashed 'outside' of the quest building, but evidently within the border of a quest zone. A storage box I'd placed and partly filled with loot got wiped when I activated a quest without knowing the range of ground this quest covered.

From a looting point of view, it would be nice if we could stash loot somewhere in/within/outside the border of a quest zone without losing it once the quest is activated / reactivated.

Maybe a quest border can be shown, much like a Land Claim Block shows its area of effect... something to consider anyway.

Still my #1 game, and it's Beta ffs!

That would be immersion breaking to see a border of every house or even one house you are questing in. Its easy enough to NOT store things in POIs you aren't living at. I put my storage chests in the middle of the road in SP and mark it on my map and collect them later after I get a vehicle.

If you need to store things at a POI, put a bedroll down.

Yes, this!

That's one thing that I like so much about 7 Days to Die, that the content and options drive me to devise an efficient plan of attack for achieving a growing list of personal objectives; when suddenly the game reveals some new distraction to me and I have to scramble to reprioritize my whole plan all over again! Great fun!

Yes I think time management with random distractions combined with impeding doom is a great formula for fun.