Sign in to follow this  
madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Something about a circle and lining up a line or something inside a smaller spinning circle? I'm like 36% sure I've seen a video. But my memory is even worse than in the past, so ymmv.

That's the one! I'm about 65% sure it was a video and not a diagram or description of how it would play out. I've had a quick look at the videos posted but nothing jumped out at me to prove it, though. I have a vague memory of it being a surprise feature.

I think Madmole would remember. MADMOLE! Sort out some memory problems we're having.

• Like 3

I wish this was true for me. 7 days to die causes fights with the wife. :upset:

Oh no :( She plays too?

This is going to bring so much good moments, like franticlly trying to unlock in the middle of the night while some horde decides it needs brains.

MM asked in this video if we gonna like it, we will. Maybe some day, but timer option sounds sane now. I mean, we gonna try it soon and see.

Oh no :( She plays too?

Haha no she doesn't play at all. She gets mad when I play too much.

WAIT! We can get wishlist features for a good review? I never bothered to write a steam review before, but if I can get a parasail to glide down off mountains and skyscrapers, I'll write one up asap!

To hell with ziplines.. all the cool kids are using parasails and paramotors these days.

I wish this was true for me. 7 days to die causes fights with the wife. :upset:

I have the same problem!! LOL

Sweet! Thanks for the find. That's the one.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm going to go ahead and say I'm 100% sure now. :)

See? Memory ain't as bad as you thought, hey?

what are "PET bottles"?

Polyethylene terephthalate... plastic bottles, the sort you'd by water in.

As far as I know the "use by" date on bottled water isn't because the water degrades but because the bottle does.

WAIT! We can get wishlist features for a good review? I never bothered to write a steam review before, but if I can get a parasail to glide down off mountains and skyscrapers, I'll write one up asap!

To hell with ziplines.. all the cool kids are using parasails and paramotors these days.

Don't remind me about para anything. Paragliding just yesterday killed my favourite YouTuber, Grant Thompson (King of Random). RIP. :grey:

Don't remind me about para anything. Paragliding just yesterday killed my favourite YouTuber, Grant Thompson (King of Random). RIP. :grey:

WHaaat? thats a dang shame. I liked that channel a lot :(:pray::rip:

That's the problem, my wife plays with my since 2016 :D Tell her to play too and that's it. Problem solved 10/10 Like and Subscribe.

- - - Updated - - -

It's a release date for alpha 18 yet agreed?

Thanks!

You must be new here. I'm Trankitas, I'll be your guide.

I would like to say that i am really glad that books are making a comeback. I do like them in the game.

The first books were ok but very limiting because if you couldn't find what you needed, you were limited to what you could do.

For example: You needed to read a book on forging before you could build a forge. As the only other way to get a forge is to find one (which was rare). Plus you had to do all your forging in that area which was also very limiting.

You needed to read a book on pistols before you could dissemble it or put one together and so on.

Currently in Alpha-17 the only books that are available are ones that give you a temperately boost in your ability's. I only used those to get money from the trader after I max out my bartering skills OFC. :)

But now I see that they are being used to give the players permanent skills and buffs. It makes it look as if you are learning how to do stuff. Rather than just popping points into your avatar.

The only thing that I would recommend is putting in missions given by the traders to give players skills as an award.

For example: The trader can say "If you go to this place and get me this bag then I will teach you how to make a workbench" as an award option.

I've been playing it since Alpha 15.

Yeah see, your frame of reference is different than mine. Books have been in since I can remember, at least as far back as alpha 9.

what are "PET bottles"?

Like this:

cat-in-bottle.jpg

Exact opposite here. She is praying to TFP 'gods' for 7D2D 'drops'.

Are there any plans to place hunger and thirst on the HUD somewhere?

I'm a new player and I find it a little strange that I have to open a menu to check on my food/water values. Seems like that would be the kind of information you'd want readily accessible at all times in a survival game. I know there's a hunger/thirst warning, but that doesn't kick in until it gets quite low. I'd rather be able to know right away if I'm able to eat the food/water I have to top myself off or if I should wait until it gets lower without having to go into the menu, change to the stats tab if I wasn't already on it, and then find the number, then do the math in my head of whether or not I can eat/drink right now.

Come to think of it, it would be nice if the item stats just showed the difference between the amount of food/water the item restores plus your current food/water level and the max possible food/water level, just to make it easy to immediately know instead of having to figure it out.

Oh, and am I just crazy or is the gear comparison backwards in the menu? It took me a bit to realize that when I inspect a new piece of gear, the pluses and minuses next to the numbers are a comparison of what I already have on to the item I was inspecting, when in most games it would be the other way around. This means that red negative numbers are upgrades and green plus numbers are downgrades when you're inspecting a piece of gear, unless there's some setting I'm not aware of. Very odd!

None of this is super important, this is some quirks and QoL stuff I noticed. Maybe this kind of thing is being saved for a later stage of development, I just thought I'd share what I've noticed as a newbie! Thanks!

Edited by bitmapman
typos, formatting (see edit history)

Are there any plans to place hunger and thirst on the HUD somewhere?

No as the devs feel it is better to have less clutter on screen to help with immersion, which I would have to agree with.

FYI just in the case you did not know. When your thirst or hunger gets low you will have an icon pop up on screen informing you of those stats. You can also install a simple mod that will show hunger and thirst on the HUD.

Edited by ZombieSurvivor (see edit history)

We talked about wandering traders or npcs you help you can trade with a bit before they despawn. Nothing firm yet.

I could see quest scenarios like:

-- Help the lost NPC get to a certain house

-- Help the NPC find a treasure

-- Protect an NPC on a walk from trader to his house/town - (WOW makes uses of several of these types of quest - they are cool)

-- Pick up a quest or unique trade item. this would force a player to share "hey I found Leroy who sells the Pink Oven Mitt of doom at coordinates..."

lots of options - you have the NPC, the quest system and it could tie into the bandits as well.