Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Why do people need heavy armor anyway? Just go in light on armor, heavy on weapons and tell those zombies to come and get some!

- - - Updated - - -

You know, I would try to get some from the trader but he forgot it. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Seriously?

If I knew the answer I wouldn't have asked.

- - - Updated - - -

Now your talking! ;)

- - - Updated - - -

That would be awesome!

Heavy armor, I dunno, for maybe the 90% damage resistance? Light armor doesn't give you near as much protection but has much better mobility. Depends on play style I guess.

by the way joel are you planning on keeping the books in? because if you are that would be wonderful they sound so great

Why would we remove something I put my soul into? The books are awesome, and here to stay. We did delete the old fugly perk books from a17 that were just filler content because we didn't have time to do the a18 books we have now.

You’ll have to find the video of that as proof because I don’t remember ever seeing a finished or even conceptual mini game ever being demonstrated. If he had one then it was only ever implemented in the dev editor because I never saw it in any development build. Zip lines made it to the dev build and I got to try out what they had briefly before it was scrapped but never a lockpicking mini game. If there’s a video of him demonstrating it then I’ll believe you :)

Something about a circle and lining up a line or something inside a smaller spinning circle? I'm like 36% sure I've seen a video. But my memory is even worse than in the past, so ymmv.

Dear Madmole,

Unity showcased this year with their “Megacity” demo some amazing performance enhancements. Jaw-dropping for me.

Hence, the future is looking bright for 7d2d, if you are able using all the new Unity enhancements coming up. I am no expert. Just curious, since as far as I understand CPU performance is the biggest drag for you putting those dream features into reality. Cannot wait playing A18. 7 days to die is the best looking voxel game out there. Thanks for it. Cheers.

No. “Spiders” were the name of the zombies that climbed vertical surfaces. We had a mutant insect but it was removed.

Yes, we know, but the question was whether they are thinking of adding large spiders (Arachnida) that climb walls.

Madmole, some plan to add the seasons of the year that affects all the biomes, I don't remember which Alpha was that if you were in the forest it was all white because of the snow, it was great! Add an incredible admosphere to the game, imagine that the snow damages your plantations! that would be beautiful! What are the plans about that?

Can anyone tell me why we still start with a LCB??

This thing is crafted from just a fistful of rocks, so remove it from the starting inventory and replace it with a random low tier tool, e.g. axe or shovel or cooking pot etc. to start with.

Move crafting the LCB to the start base quest...

I’d love to have better quests improvements, most importantly having more options with it, creating our own quests. I endorse quests a lot.

It enhances my gameplay. I try my best getting creative, but its not easy, spent the last days doing trail and error.

Please, provide some more background information in the XML files. Thanks.

I was just seeing if you would lol. Electric doors and drawbridges are in.

my heart my HEART! any other electrical stuff that was added? i always thought maybe drawbridge sized like a 1x3, 1x5 etc would be insane for river base builds.

going back to other electronic stuff, any plans for maybe more lights? I would KILL for someway to add dyes to a spot light to change the color.

Concept to turn on a red spot light for a zombie warnign system instead of a speaker LOL

Also, any plans to make the garage door upgradable to steel? or even a 2x2 door/double door?

Something about a circle and lining up a line or something inside a smaller spinning circle? I'm like 36% sure I've seen a video. But my memory is even worse than in the past, so ymmv.

That's the one! I'm about 65% sure it was a video and not a diagram or description of how it would play out. I've had a quick look at the videos posted but nothing jumped out at me to prove it, though. I have a vague memory of it being a surprise feature.

I think Madmole would remember. MADMOLE! Sort out some memory problems we're having.

According to Roland, books were at first only intended as placeholders for the perks and should actually be removed from the game after A17:

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?121980-So-eager-for-A18e!-No-more-juice-for-A17-knowing-what-s-coming/page3&p=997347#post997347

Nevertheless, in the past they created whole POIs for the books although they only regarded them as placeholders.

Therefore, it is a legitimate question whether the books will stay in the game in the long run or not. The answer to this question is that the Fun Pimps have changed their mind and keep the books in the game to complement the perks.

How...how long have you been playing this game?

What's the division of the team nowadays? Like x programmers, y artists, z testers, xa level designers, etc?

Good question, I always wanted to know who is behind the favorite game, I would like to meet the team of programmers, artists, designers, etc., I have more than 150 games of which 7 Days is in first place and with more than 2500 hours and others 2000 without connection.

Why would we remove something I put my soul into? The books are awesome, and here to stay. We did delete the old fugly perk books from a17 that were just filler content because we didn't have time to do the a18 books we have now.

Personally, I still miss books being gates to things like crossbow, etc.

I'd still love if findables was expanded, though.

• Find a map book or examine a wall image to reveal a hidden part of a map (bunker, for example)
  • find various story books throughout the world (perhaps love letters or horror stories to give the game more depth but doesn't necessarily reveal anything)
  • "How to" books (again, gates like recipes, making clothes, medical help)

They just make sense, IMO, and that "YESSSSSSS!" moment of finding one. The points system is good for strength and stamina, etc. Maybe intelligence to be able to understand certain books, but not a big fan of it somehow able to teach me to forge, for example.

Yeah... but I do genuinly think that you tried your best to salvage it. And hearing how this was another guys doing (for the most part), gives me enough hope to change my review. And it is really really nice to hear.

Now all we need is a electric "grid" system. Where you can connect multiple in and outputs to add up to one bigger grid.

Because not beeing able to make a nice electric fence square, or not beeing able to power a drawbridge from two seperate cameras (how is one camera supposed to see 180°), or not beeing able to wire up cameras and pressure plates to one trap...

I know you stated before that this is not possible based on how you developed electricity... but if oyu could take another look, that'd be great :)

I hope we have the option of either opening or closing when powered. Having used a powered doors (and drawbridges) mod a few times now, I definitely have use for both. I've used open-on-powered with pressure plates and trip wires to quickly go through a door and close it behind. I've also used motion sensor with open-on-powered drawbridge, but that wasn't as good as one might think. Instead, a motion sensor with a close-on-powered drawbridge was much more effective! The drawbridge just stays open all the time, allowing easy access, but closes as long as it detects zombies.

Of course, this would be rendered moot if we had some way of _inverting_ power, but that would arguable require an electrical blocks with two inputs: power, and selector. An electric-powered switch, as it happens. I don't think the current framework supports that.

I do wish the framework supporting electricity was replaced wholesale, though. It is buggy, laggy, and limited. I'm hoping you are taking the approach of seeing the current framework as a trial version, and not something that just requires some polish. Then again, as long as the end result is good, I don't care how it came about! :)

Disclosure: I've used electricity in all sorts of ways, plus three08's powered doors & drawbridges mod, going back to alpha 16.0, so I have a lot of experience backing the opinions above.

Personally, I still miss books being gates to things like crossbow, etc.

I'd still love if findables was expanded, though.

• Find a map book or examine a wall image to reveal a hidden part of a map (bunker, for example)
  • find various story books throughout the world (perhaps love letters or horror stories to give the game more depth but doesn't necessarily reveal anything)
  • "How to" books (again, gates like recipes, making clothes, medical help)

They just make sense, IMO, and that "YESSSSSSS!" moment of finding one.

Agree. The new books are a great addition and much needed "chase" items, but I don't think they will quite make up for the thrill of finding item schematics. Favorite books are the wasteland treasure set by far, but it would be nice if more, advanced, non-core item recipes were added to the game. I think there is a lot more room to improve the value of exploration.

LOL!! I want New UI!! Are we douchebags for this?

Kidding aside, 7 days to die have got my family closer together, distracted me from my personal problems and made me be a better person, when you see the struggle that it could take to simply survive, you realize some things you worry about are not so important, ex: fights with the wife :)

I'm never changing my review.

I wish this was true for me. 7 days to die causes fights with the wife. :upset:

Archived