Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

It does, but now that you gain 1 HP and 1 Stam per level you kind of stop feeling it so much. I installed mobility mods to mine so it doesn't slow me down as much. The top rank of heavy armor reduces stamina and movement penalty by 25% and with mods isn't too bad.

Light armor reduces movement penalty 75% and stamina penalty by 50% so you barely feel it ranked up with mods.

Armor is better now too, even the low end armor you can definitely feel some pieces. Cloth armor has no weight or penalties at all now. Combine that with magnum enforcer suit perk, and the fort perk that reduces damage and you would have decent damage resistance and full speed movement.

I took 1 rank of the running perk and it helps immensely with not losing stamina when sprinting in armor too.

Why do people need heavy armor anyway? Just go in light on armor, heavy on weapons and tell those zombies to come and get some!

- - - Updated - - -

You can buy Grandpa's forgettin' Elixer for 20k.

You know, I would try to get some from the trader but he forgot it. :)

- - - Updated - - -

You are here every day posting, surely you know the answer to this or are you trolling?

Seriously?

If I knew the answer I wouldn't have asked.

- - - Updated - - -

Zeds don't wake up most the time using a 9mm with silencer.

Now your talking! ;)

- - - Updated - - -

We talked about wandering traders or npcs you help you can trade with a bit before they despawn. Nothing firm yet.

That would be awesome!

Why would they spend all that time working on them not to put them in? You should look at the first post in this thread before your next question...

yeah... because TFPs have never implemented a feature only to remove it again a few alphas later.

#nohate #justfacts

What will be added to A18 if I change my review? :D

Huge, perfectly round, very huge boulders... with smiley faces painted on and on hoard night they roll down the hill, smash all you defenses... and explode.

Edit: Sorry, I just finished watching a Monty Python show. :) <--- Like this but bigger.

Hey Madmole, have you ever had thoughts on a power tool that is better than the wrench for speeding up harvesting cars? I did notice in A17 it slowed down and was curious, i've always wanted like a portable powered ratchet to tear stuff apart, i know not too realistic but i think it would help, and when it comes to electricity, I hope one day we can get a perk book to unlock bigger generators that only need gas and not engines inside of them to run.

Hey, just watched the video demonstrating the books. Well done! Correct me if I'm wrong, but things I immediately noticed different were cloud movement and the music. And was the bunny cuter? I think the animations were better as well? The perk tree seemed different as well? Not grouped like it used to be.

And I'm liking the higher resolution icons.

Huge, perfectly round, very huge boulders... with smiley faces painted on and on hoard night they roll down the hill, smash all you defenses... and explode.

Edit: Sorry, I just finished watching a Monty Python show. :) <--- Like this but bigger.

I'd pay money for that.

Why? A17 had it's rough points, but it was mostly redoing old systems that were a bit clunky, and needed updating to make them more versatile. Just needed some time to get it up to snuff and beyond with what a16 was. A17 brought a lot to the table to make that happen. A17 was worth it, in the long run. at least imo.

edit: I just think people needed to view it, for what it was..

Couldn't agree more.

A17 had an enormous degree of change, and simply needed a bit more work to make those changes great.

It changed from being a game where you had to be petrified of the night to a game where the night was of little consequence to your survival. I've even survived a horde night outdoors, with an injured leg, without any real stress (admittedly, I'd dropped some Z speeds for my Dead is Dead playstyle).

Whether they wish to regain the terror of night, or keep the benefit of 24 hour combat play remains to be seen.

I like no longer having to be holed up for the duration of the night (lets face it, if you don't have to do a ton of crafting the nights in a base can get pretty dull).

I'd like to see the return of more wandering Z's in the biomes, and in the city POIs, plus the threat of a better targetted wandering horde... I rarely encounter those threats anymore.

A few more tier 5 quests would be good too, coz currently once you're fit for 5 it can get very repetitive very quickly.

Just a thought... it can be problematic not knowing where the outer border of a "Stay Within" quest exists, for two reasons - you sometimes want to back away from a stream of Z's, but without terminating the quest by stepping out of the quest zone (yes, I'm aware of the changing colour indicator wrt this).

Additionally, I've lost gear that I've stashed 'outside' of the quest building, but evidently within the border of a quest zone. A storage box I'd placed and partly filled with loot got wiped when I activated a quest without knowing the range of ground this quest covered.

From a looting point of view, it would be nice if we could stash loot somewhere in/within/outside the border of a quest zone without losing it once the quest is activated / reactivated.

Maybe a quest border can be shown, much like a Land Claim Block shows its area of effect... something to consider anyway.

Still my #1 game, and it's Beta ffs!

The constant NEED for stuff is flooding my brain and its like the feeling of you have 20 things to do and no time to do it is nagging at you making every second enjoyable. I mean my planner in my head is working overtime in this build because the needs/desires are so plentiful.

Yes, this!

That's one thing that I like so much about 7 Days to Die, that the content and options drive me to devise an efficient plan of attack for achieving a growing list of personal objectives; when suddenly the game reveals some new distraction to me and I have to scramble to reprioritize my whole plan all over again! Great fun!

Yes, this!

That's one thing that I like so much about 7 Days to Die, that the content and options drive me to devise an efficient plan of attack for achieving a growing list of personal objectives; when suddenly the game reveals some new distraction to me and I have to scramble to reprioritize my whole plan all over again! Great fun!

100%. The game is an amazing time sink and everytime you get something done there's 2 new things you wanna do and it never ends.

Damn, I honestly can't wait to play. Only thing that saddens me is that it will probably be a bugfest on early stages of experimental and the stable release will probably be at least one month later, which leads me to think i'll have to wait 'til september at the very least "to play seriously". :miserable:

Back on pg 841 MM mentioned possible random stats for mods, post a18(?). Then SnowDog1942 asked how that might work for say the 8x Scope.

Couple really realistic variables could be Clarity & Accuracy.

Glass varies quite a bit between a $125 & a $1500 scope. So poor Clarity could be shown as slightly darker, or 'slightly fuzzy', or even possibly scratches/cracks. (thinking the 'overlay' that pops up when zoomed in could have a few different quality lvls)

Accuracy could have a large variance: poor mounts so every shot results in a shift, or just a banged up scope where it's internals are loose so again a shift after every shot.

$$$$ Please bring back the variable power scope! ... please?

Now that there are no level gates, Being level 20 by day 7 is not really that great. There needs to be ample resources and time passed to "be" level 20 and for it to feel right. 1 hour per level is the meta we're shooting for, give or take about 50% depending on the player, luck, RNG, etc.

The requirements get steeper to level but in order for it not to scale off the planet it can't be too much. Our power curve is pretty strong, so you end up getting faster at leveling, at least for a while. We'll see, I'm about level 26 now on day 22. It feels fantastic. I only have a T3 T2 fireaxe so far, a brown AK (found on day 1) and a blue pistol. My armor I crafted most of it, Q3 iron, Q4 iron legs. You need time to find parts and stuff to make what you can craft so leveling too fast = ok now what syndrome. Like I could craft a blue AK, but I only have 3 ak parts, and I need 25. So the player needs to have time to acquire stuff to service the perks he bought.

It just generally feels so much more rewarding stretching out the leveling process. Remember you can go straight to 10 on any attribute nothing stopping you now. I'm man handling regular zombies with my melee right now, but ferals are starting to spawn. We'll see how it goes. Armor rating is about 49% so taking half damage helps.

So far the testers and devs are all loving A18, and the devs. The balance has done some amazing things to it. New content is nice, but having good balance and nice progression is huge, not to mention performance and bugs.

Ok. Fair enough. I'll have to play it for myself when its out to see. I think balance will become alot easier once you get a much larger play group putting alpha 18 through its paces.

I must say not seeing a feral till day 20+ will make the lack of levels, and i assume strong gear/skills more tolerable.

Sounds like in general your just stretching out early game. Can be a good or bad thing. Bad if it's the same early game we have already been playing. Good if the early game is a brand new experience, and I'm happy to say it sounds like it's going to be.

What about that armor though. 50% armor is grand but what does that do for bleeding? I have almost 60% armor in my alpha 17 game and bleeding happens too much and does, what seems like, full bleed damage.

Does armor help with bleed? In a17 or 18?

Just a thought... it can be problematic not knowing where the outer border of a "Stay Within" quest exists, for two reasons - you sometimes want to back away from a stream of Z's, but without terminating the quest by stepping out of the quest zone (yes, I'm aware of the changing colour indicator wrt this).

Additionally, I've lost gear that I've stashed 'outside' of the quest building, but evidently within the border of a quest zone. A storage box I'd placed and partly filled with loot got wiped when I activated a quest without knowing the range of ground this quest covered.

From my experience I can say that the quest area never reaches across the street. If you put the box on the other side of the street it should be safe there. You can get about 25 blocks away from the quest area without the quest failing. This is enough to get to the other side of the street.

Why do people need heavy armor anyway? Just go in light on armor, heavy on weapons and tell those zombies to come and get some!

- - - Updated - - -

You know, I would try to get some from the trader but he forgot it. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Seriously?

If I knew the answer I wouldn't have asked.

- - - Updated - - -

Now your talking! ;)

- - - Updated - - -

That would be awesome!

Then it means you don't read all of Madmole's replies. He wasked too many times about the NPCs and bandits, and the answer is :"They will come when they are done! They won't make it to A18."

yeah... because TFPs have never implemented a feature only to remove it again a few alphas later.

#nohate #justfacts

Yeah, lets ask for every single feature on the first page if they decided to remove it again. At least once a week to be sure we didn't miss anything. Especially for stuff that was proudly shown in a video just days before! #candosarcastichyperboletoo :cocksure:

It's great that Callum tries to coax information out of MM, but this question was seriously lacking in potential to really get any sensible info.

(Hint hint: After I said above, NOW would be the right time for MM to reveal a new feature in an answer to Callums post :fat:)

I know you are baiting me, not stating when since it is probably already a planned feature... but just to show you that I REALLY want advanced electronics... and because you really did try to salvage A17 and A18 looks this promising... there ya go :D

It's a deal.

The feature is working, just needs some final touches like recipes, wire attachment points... fiddly bits.

A17 had an enormous degree of change, and simply needed a bit more work to make those changes great.

It changed from being a game where you had to be petrified of the night to a game where the night was of little consequence to your survival. I've even survived a horde night outdoors, with an injured leg, without any real stress (admittedly, I'd dropped some Z speeds for my Dead is Dead playstyle).

Do keep in mind that new players are still very much scared at night, especially if they play vanilla without nerfing zombie speeds. =)

Back on pg 841 MM mentioned possible random stats for mods, post a18(?). Then SnowDog1942 asked how that might work for say the 8x Scope.

Couple really realistic variables could be Clarity & Accuracy.

Yes, but not every mod is equally suited for random stats.

$$$$ Please bring back the variable power scope! ... please?

There is nothing to bring back. It still works. At least on the x8 and I'm not going to check all of them.

It's a deal.

The feature is working, just needs some final touches like recipes, wire attachment points... fiddly bits.

I... thanks :D You know what?

*jumps on the hypetrain* A18 here I come!!! :D

Most important are vault hatch/door, garage door and drawbridge.

If I am allowed to say that :D

Everything else is optional in my opinion.

Thank you!

Archived