Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

I got dogs in a forest city, not sure what is going on there, but its exciting. Wasteland is full of nasties yet, I don't really know what to tell you. We're considering in the future raising game stage of the wasteland so you can get better loot there.

Your statement about a player cheesing it and getting the best loot on day 1 is completely false, loot is game staged and at low game stage you get poor quality stuff.

You can't even sniff a T3 item until level 20 ish now and Q6 doesn't start spawning until level 40 ish. It takes about 1 hour to level on average.

Soooo... We are stuck with uninteresting, non-atmospheric, non-scary, easy cities?

I think this was probably touched on before, but I was wondering if there were any plans to update/or overhaul character creation?

As much as I love the game, even I have to admit they're... a little "countenance challenged", haha.

Unless, there's already an existing mod for it somewhere?

Thanks!

Meh.. the models look great, but they are weird. I've never seen anything like that in the real world, I doubt it even exist, and of that size! They are so big! A big chunk of minerals on the surface, untouched. Maybe something the size of the small rocks would be more believable.

2nd this. Make them much smaller like rocks and scatter say 8 or so in random orientations over a 3x3 block area which would make them more interesting to find rather than standing out across the map. Gives a prospecting feel.

Lol here I am mate! Potassium nitrate can have that form as displayed with the new texture. It just doesn't occur that much in nature, it's most often associated with other minerals.

The lead ore looks realistic enough for me. You can clearly see the cubic to rhomboid crystalline shaoe, which makes me believe they tried to model the most common lead ore; galena.

Yes, that's what I was going to say. Galena and whatnot.

I find it a little surprising to hear that animal husbandry isn't in the cards, especially considering farming is in. Have they given a reason for not wanting to introduce that aspect of farming?

Pets I can understand. They're a nice side distraction kind of thing, but not really necessary. They're tough to balance too. Anyone else remember Dogmeat suiciding into the first group of enemies he sees?

As I understand the situation, the decision is based on allocating system resources for good performance. The system hit from the AI with animal husbandry would be significant and potentially get worse as more instances of the creatures would be added.

I think this was probably touched on before, but I was wondering if there were any plans to update/or overhaul character creation?

As much as I love the game, even I have to admit they're... a little "countenance challenged", haha.

Unless, there's already an existing mod for it somewhere?

Thanks!

Agreed. I thought with the last graphics overhaul, they would have included characters. At this point the characters aren't doing the rest of the game aesthetic justice.

2nd this. Make them much smaller like rocks and scatter say 8 or so in random orientations over a 3x3 block area which would make them more interesting to find rather than standing out across the map. Gives a prospecting feel.

3rd. Looks cool, but seems too big, like game-changing big. It seems that there should be some prospecting aspect to it as you say. Can't really judge without playing it, but it seems that it will make mining just too easy and sort of an odd distraction to anyone NOT interested in going that rout.

Challenge is fun as long as it is achievable, so a small hint is really desirable for finding ore. It's definitely heading in a good direction.

I find it a little surprising to hear that animal husbandry isn't in the cards, especially considering farming is in. Have they given a reason for not wanting to introduce that aspect of farming?

Pets I can understand. They're a nice side distraction kind of thing, but not really necessary. They're tough to balance too. Anyone else remember Dogmeat suiciding into the first group of enemies he sees?

Any animals would count as entities which would detract from the entity limit, which would mean for each animal there would be one less zombie.

- - - Updated - - -

3rd. Looks cool, but seems too big, like game-changing big. It seems that there should be some prospecting aspect to it as you say. Can't really judge without playing it, but it seems that it will make mining just too easy and sort of an odd distraction to anyone NOT interested in going that rout.

Challenge is fun as long as it is achievable, so a small hint is really desirable for finding ore. It's definitely heading in a good direction.

We had similar voxel versions of the same thing a couple alphas ago and it wasn't the end of the world. Even those would have been perfect by changing their color to the surrounding biome on the map and reducing the density to make them closer to flush with the ground.

I just think they need to dress them up a bit, so they look more like their surroundings. Put some dirt on top of them, with some grass and weed patches, maybe 1 or 2 lone saplings of trees around them and so on.. Like the texture of them though.

like:

A17.4_2019-07-27_11-49-31.jpg.d9612fbfaa2e2239f843d47394820dd7.jpg

A17.4_2019-07-27_11-49-39.jpg.3b8ceb8f78ccb3d23ca1b1d36f7cd544.jpg

Im sure with the way they are doing it, they could make it way more detailed.

I got dogs in a forest city, not sure what is going on there, but its exciting.

Any thoughts yet on adding simple enemy nest spawns in a future build?

This could add some interesting dynamics and challenge to random areas like the possibility of a dog pack that runs in a city, or a bear that has a territory in the woods.

I'm imagining an invisible helper block that acts somewhat like a spawnpoint for sleepers over an area, keeping track of NumberOfMembers and is destroyed when the member count is reduced to zero.

In the case of a bear nest in the woods, it would simulate a bear patrolling its territory. Until you kill the bear, there will always be an increased chance of a bear being somewhere in that vacinity.

In the case of a dog nest in a city, if you run away without killing the entire pack, you will still need to deal with remainders when you come back. The helper block could also replenish the pack by 1 more member every game day up to a max member count so hunting down every last one of them would be beneficial if you want to safely extract resource from that area.

Would work much the same as spawns in a POI, but out in the world, covering a larger area.

Sort of puts the possibility of "Boss Battle" confrontation outside of POIs and into parts of the map; to be conquered or otherwise avoided until you are stronger.

Well it's not like the skill tree is a moving unit so if you have any planification going on you really don't need any spare points "in case of". At least not a dozen of them that's for sure.

I must disagree. Strategically, I think it’s very beneficial to keep points in reserve and spend them just when you know you’re going to get good use out of them. For instance, there’s no benefit to lowering the buried treasure radius before you’re even on a treasure quest. Though they do seem to be iterating on perks, so that more of them are useful all the time.

There are all these different archtypes now so its not about using what you find, its about finding what you want to use, so everything now drops equally. And if you don't like it, scrap it to parts and sell it or save your parts up for a good weapon. A brown weapon T2 weapon only sells for about 40 dukes if its in pristine condition, so I don't really see the issue with finding lots of guns. Its America, most people have at least 10 guns.

Just remember, using what you find is a cornerstone of survival. Too much choice and excess are luxuries which work against survival.

I mean, I know we all want choices. But RNG should still be a factor, making some choices easier and some choices harder in a given game. If the player doesn’t have to take what they can get - if they can dismiss low-hanging fruit, at least in the early game - it’s not a survival game anymore.

Just remember, using what you find is a cornerstone of survival. Too much choice and excess are luxuries which work against survival.

I mean, I know we all want choices. But RNG should still be a factor, making some choices easier and some choices harder in a given game. If the player doesn’t have to take what they can get - if they can dismiss low-hanging fruit, at least in the early game - it’s not a survival game anymore.

Exactly this.

Archived