Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

2 days ago responded to Trankitas drinking when A18 drops. I won't be drinking. Or Eating. Or sleeping. Or 'GuppyCurring'. And maybe not even working! (I tend to binge when a new Alpha drops... Seriously. Have done a few 20 hours days...)

Lol! I wish I had some free days left :( I can't skip work anymore.

well the problem is, i'm noticing and sorry for making assumptions, but they are playing on 5+ yr old rigs.

in the tech world, 3-4 and its out of date, 2-3 years could be upgraded 5+ get a new pc.

no hate what so ever on those older pc's, just advise to help out! but i bet A18 will help a lot of those older pc's catch up to newer tech.

you dont need 60+ fps just 30-45 ong ood settings and its good:)

Those numbers themselves are a little out of date. Moore’s law is coming to an end.

My PC is 8 years old and I get 60 fps on medium graphics settings. Top of the line 8 years ago and it was probably 4x better than what I previously had which was only 3 years old.

;) lol

And in what way was this funny? :-/ I mean I think I get the intention... because at first glance it contradicts. This would be true if he meant that literally.

He didn't. It was a turn of phrase to say that he can not explain how anyone playing a "normal" way could save up so many skillpoints, when you have literally 20 more perks to learn that are super handy.

A Counter diction, Nice going Roland!

No. No it wasn't.

I don't think we really need to slow levelling. I am playing Nazegame, and with 120 minutes time and 200% experience on day 8 I reach 60 level only. Now, I make it 100% exp. And now I am leaving that game as I already spend 16 hrs on it .. and still cannot make Jeep. It we slow it further even with 60 minutes default setting, it means you can make jeep around 24/25 hrs of game play (considering you level 3 on default setting per day).. do we really think that is good play time.

Over 7 levels a day and you think it doesn't need slowing? Even your estimate of 3 at default I'd say could be tweaked down a tad. I think Joel's version of 1 level a day will be fine as I bet it means more like 2 to more optimal players.

Over 7 levels a day and you think it doesn't need slowing? Even your estimate of 3 at default I'd say could be tweaked down a tad. I think Joel's version of 1 level a day will be fine as I bet it means more like 2 to more optimal players.

I 100% agree with a lvl a day. since there is no level lock out, you can almost get maxed in one tree by day 50 i bet or close to it.

And in what way was this funny? :-/ I mean I think I get the intention... because at first glance it contradicts. This would be true if he meant that literally.

He didn't. It was a turn of phrase to say that he can not explain how anyone playing a "normal" way could save up so many skillpoints, when you have literally 20 more perks to learn that are super handy.

No. No it wasn't.

If you could just stop talking for other people to start just another argument. That would be great!

Cheers

2 days ago responded to Trankitas drinking when A18 drops. I won't be drinking. Or Eating. Or sleeping. Or 'GuppyCurring'. And maybe not even working! (I tend to binge when a new Alpha drops... Seriously. Have done a few 20 hours days...)

...you don't poop?

Might be better if you drop a link.

But what about it? I don't understand what your getting at.

I DON’T KNOW WHAT WE’RE YELLING ABOUT!!

Seriously though, I’m pumped to spend my points more frequently. I tend to spend 3-5 at a time after several nights of staring at my options. But for my first A18 playthrough I’m going magnum build based on John Dorie from Fear the Walking Dead, so I know where my points are going when I get em!

Anyone else planning a different play style than usual?

Well, I was hoping agility would fit my playstyle. My a17 build is bows and sneaking, with machete and smg using commando adrenaline and flurry when things get hairy. I think they covered me perfectly!

I also like the sound of the balancing so far, i.e. specialization covering crafting and healing. Sounds like that will offset slow leveling complaints well enough. For vehicles, I usually get pretty lucky at gas station for components and having them available for sale is even better.

we started to experiment a little on our server before A18 is out, game is set to have 60min day + 20 min night cycle, exp is nerfed to 80%, loot to 75%, zombie block damage 80%/90% BM. we did more levels a when started a new map, but overall game experience is more laid back without forcing anybody rushing to do everything at once and leveling too quickly, the setup makes it more enjoyable/balanced.

If you could just stop talking for other people to start just another argument. That would be great!

Cheers

To me, this was pretty apparent from the way he talked.

And since I dislike people that always try to nitpick everything you say, just because you haven't used the words they would use, I felt like stepping in.

I didn't talk for him, I said that this is the way more likely variance, if you aren't looking to nitpick.

maybe political, can be deleted if need be.

If I say "I don't see race!" and after a while I say "there is a difference between those two skintones!"

This often gets misinterpreted as "AHA! See you DO see race!"

which is so absolutely moronic that only those too stupid to see the meaning behind generalized statements and people who intentionally look for nitpicks to try and win an argument do not see WHY its stupid.

If someone says something and says something that you think contradicts it... if you know that person is not an idiot... there might be more to it.

A few years ago I was checking out your old properties you were renting out. I always wondered if you stayed in the real estate business after making so much from 7d2d. Why check out your properties, i was extremely bored at 3am so I decided to look in to your career lol, and I was honestly interested in your backround in gaming. like how you got to the point of creating a game after Bethesda never got back to you regarding your application. You should write a book about your life man, regarding your career in the video game industry.

I'd make more money talking about it on youtube than trying to sell a book, but thanks. I do have a wild and crazy story and many ups and downs over the years and I feel like I have something to offer about how to be successful. Unfortunately the key component is hard work and grinding.

I'm cool with slow leveling as long as each lvl feels rewarding.

A17 pre iron felt too much like a chore.

But with more tire of tools and weapons and no more lvl gates this might work.

I'm looking forward to se how a18 balance feels.

You can get iron tools going right away now if you choose. I loot mine, the only reason I buy a forge is to craft ingots for repair kits and make bullets. I typically find a work bench and mark it on my map. I tend to loot the first 7 days and do quests for sure, stay somewhere on day 7 lately, and then consider a permanent location once I get a vehicle after the first week or two. I've built bases on day 2 though, depends on the map and luck of the draw looting.

I gotta ask, did you ever consider getting a management company? They take care of all that stuff for you for a relatively small fee. They can even save a little of your rent on the side for big problems that might arise.

Even on 1 property, being the landlord is a pain in the ass.

Now you gotta add a special weapon in game: Madmoles Plunger:biggrin-new:

I did but they don't give a ♥♥♥♥ and run it into the ground. I'm out now except one last house I will sell soon. No thanks lol, I don't need any reminders of that era in my life.

Sorry madmole but if you ever had a dozen unspent perks you were playing the game wrong lol.

I disagree. Do you stop to pick perks during precious daylight hours? Sometimes a big POI takes every second of the day and travel time to make it back to the trader and then haul ass back to base before sundown, and in that time I gained 12 levels (before). Now that its nerfed I pretty much know exactly what I want next because there is time to think about it and time to desire it. When you level every 30 seconds like before I mean who wants to constantly go into the perk menu? I need to get ♥♥♥♥ done.

There are times when I'm saving for a perk too, (high attribute req) and dont' really look at it for a bit, and all of a sudden there are 8-12 perk points to spend. That said I slaughter nearly every zed I see and quest non stop, so I'm going out on a limb here to say I level way faster than most players. I mean one molotov could get you 12k xp if you know how to throw at the right time and place.

The question that comes to my mind is what it looks like in the late game. I am now over level 200 and I only get a level every few days while at the beginning I got several levels a day.

I was talking about Caliente's Beautiful Bodies Edition for 7 days to die, you can choose juicy booties for female zombies. (I gave myself AIDS with this post, sorry)

- - - Updated - - -

+1 this.

CBZE anyone? Lol

I normally go INT, but wana go perception. it looks like that is more of your adventuring "class" since you have lucky looter and salvage ops. or do a perc/int hyrbid. salvage ops for parts to make vehicles etc. seems legit imo

- - - Updated - - -

OOOO @MM can we get a pretty list of the new perk list so we can drool and fantasize about our builds? *grabs scratch paper*

I did a video showing all the perk changes already. Although we changed infiltrator to take less damage against land mines and you can pick up land mines with the top rank, and floor traps don't fall as fast.

I got dogs in a forest city, not sure what is going on there, but its exciting. Wasteland is full of nasties yet, I don't really know what to tell you. We're considering in the future raising game stage of the wasteland so you can get better loot there.

Your statement about a player cheesing it and getting the best loot on day 1 is completely false, loot is game staged and at low game stage you get poor quality stuff.

You can't even sniff a T3 item until level 20 ish now and Q6 doesn't start spawning until level 40 ish. It takes about 1 hour to level on average.

I have to say, I watched some footage of the new Alpha 18 and dear god does this game look easy. I am an advocate for bringing back gun parts but this has only made me want it more. There are guns and ammo everywhere! There's no threat anymore.

Yeah ok. I died 3 times in the first week and horde night was intense as hell. I'm even a fortitude build with heavy armor. As always there are options.

Or level 3 on day 7. Facts. Depends on play style, how much time you waste traveling, etc.

The question that comes to my mind is what it looks like in the late game. I am now over level 200 and I only get a level every few days while at the beginning I got several levels a day.

We're talking about a fixed amount of xp once you hit that point where it gets so excessive it feels super grindy. At that point I'd start a new build, but thats me, some people like to get to max level.

Archived