Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

I can say that C4 isn’t remotely stealthy.

If C4 works like it does in the game that rhymes with BUST, then I will be happy. the sound the Boom the sticky factor, all nice stuff.

nothing like scaring the crap out of a new player with a C4 on the wall.

- - - Updated - - -

Any chance we will get signs that allow us to paint/draw and or import our own art to them?

is there a chance of getting an answer to this do we have scrolling textures in game or can we get

That's a cool suggestion, animated blocks similar to a gif image but on a block. I would like to take it further and ask if it be possible to be allowed to import pictures to apply to the blocks and maybe our own wall hanging paintings.

Roland, is it certain at this point there will be no A17.3? Would be nice to get confirmation once it's decided, so we can commit to a new world now

You mean at all or this weekend? They are a few builds into 17.3 so there will definitely be a 17.3 but not this weekend as far as I know.

That's a cool suggestion, animated blocks similar to a gif image but on a block. I would like to take it further and ask if it be possible to be allowed to import pictures to apply to the blocks and maybe our own wall hanging paintings.

I know you can bring in pictures I bring in my own flag with the fun with flags mod and unity

I know you can bring in pictures I bring in my own flag with the fun with flags mod and unity

Personalisation in a game right down to the simplest of forms ie. naming objects, can ground a player to the gaming world through self creativity which in turn keeps the game playability high.

You mean at all or this weekend? They are a few builds into 17.3 so there will definitely be a 17.3 but not this weekend as far as I know.

I meant at all, because it seems the discussion moved entirely to this A18 thread. Thanks for the clarification!

I wish that the Deep Cuts perk had some sort of visual cue to indicate that the bleeding debuff has affected the zombie, unlike with Heavy Metl perk I can obvious see the zombie going down. The only way I know that the Deep Cuts perk had any affect is via audio cues of the zombie sounding hurt.

Also, does the Deep Cuts perk affect machetes too as it is a bladed weapon as well.

I wish that the Deep Cuts perk had some sort of visual cue to indicate that the bleeding debuff has affected the zombie, unlike with Heavy Metl perk I can obvious see the zombie going down. The only way I know that the Deep Cuts perk had any affect is via audio cues of the zombie sounding hurt.

Also, does the Deep Cuts perk affect machetes too as it is a bladed weapon as well.

Would be hilarious to see some Kill Bill like gore scenes...

KillBillNZ.jpg

I play single player and co-op with my brother and mom on her private server. I have tried making videos but try as I might I can't talk and play at the same time. I always sink into a silent zone of concentration and if I try to talk while playing I become stupid. So I have done some videos where I play and then go back and watch and make comments after the fact but that takes a long time. Playing for an audience is not really my calling...

clearly you truly want to admit you cant walk and chew gun here. multi-tasking at its finest.

I have looked at the prefabs, and saw a lot of them use only a single block-level of underground.

That often leads to the building collapsing in a random gen world when they are not excactly placed on leveled terrain.

It should be a very quick fix for the prefab designer (or a friendly programmer writing an automatic function) to add 2 more layers of ground (dirt, asphalt) below the prefabs to reduce the likelyhood of this occurring, and making the job for the developer of the world-generator easier.

The assignment should go preferably to the youngest member of the level-design team as a punishment.

<snipped for space>

I'd land that ball firmly in the world designers court. The world generation should be able to handle a simple hut without having extra layers of dirt below it to make up for a bad placement algorithm.

Cure the disease, not the symptom.

I have looked at the prefabs, and saw a lot of them use only a single block-level of underground.

That often leads to the building collapsing in a random gen world when they are not excactly placed on leveled terrain.

It should be a very quick fix for the prefab designer (or a friendly programmer writing an automatic function) to add 2 more layers of ground (dirt, asphalt) below the prefabs to reduce the likelyhood of this occurring, and making the job for the developer of the world-generator easier.

The assignment should go preferably to the youngest member of the level-design team as a punishment.

But not until they fix the roads! clearly my Zombie Taxes are not going to road maintenance and repair.

I'd land that ball firmly in the world designers court. The world generation should be able to handle a simple hut without having extra layers of dirt below it to make up for a bad placement algorithm.

Cure the disease, not the symptom.

Making an algorithm fill any gaps will reduce the flexibility of the designers then. It will not a allow custom "bottom" parts of a level that might be needed for certain vertical structures and caves etc.

Adding two more layers of dirt below the POI is a work of a few seconds (if the editing tools are well designed).

Making an algorithm fill any gaps will reduce the flexibility of the designers then. It will not a allow custom "bottom" parts of a level that might be needed for certain vertical structures and caves etc.

Adding two more layers of dirt below the POI is a work of a few seconds (if the editing tools are well designed).

You know the A16 terrain engine did this already by raising the level of the surrounding land to the ground level of the POI before placing it?

You know the A16 terrain engine did this already by raising the level of the surrounding land to the ground level of the POI before placing it?

As I've said, not the best solution for certain POIs.

A manual raise will always look better (can create a custom base layer) than an automatic one.

Adding a layer is quickly done, and I wonder why this is not a design requirement from the start.

But having the POIs float is a nogo. Especially since they disintegrate due to the stability calculations.

Is it possible to rework the Lighting System? When it gets so dark you dont see anything, i have to gear the gamma up, so that i can see something, but this takes the Nightime Feeling :/ And the the zombies can crush any wall out of stone so easily, in the early game it is harder than it should be, later on i dont care but for the starting experience it should be a little easier to build a home who withstand some zombies (if day 7 arrives it could crush you im fine with that) Just for one or two zombies alone to crush your base i think its too hard for beginners :/ And Zombie Looting would be nice to have to come back. Just minor things, but it should you give a small reward to kill the zombies. Doesnt have to be something big just one water bottle or such little things :) Anyway it is a great game so hopefully it gets better (and it does)

As I've said, not the best solution for certain POIs.

A manual raise will always look better (can create a custom base layer) than an automatic one.

Adding a layer is quickly done, and I wonder why this is not a design requirement from the start.

But having the POIs float is a nogo. Especially since they disintegrate due to the stability calculations.

Fix a single POI and you've fixed one problem out of hundreds. Fix the terrain engine and you've fixed all problems by solving one.

Never do more work than you have to :-)

I should be able to create a simple POI of a football field a single block of dirt thick and not have to worry about the underlying terrain. If the terrain engine cannot place that correctly that's the fault of the terrain engine, not the POI.

MadMole,

we do not have access to every texture in the game for painting. maybe in 17.3, but in 17.2 there are fewer paintable textures than 16

Objectively, no. We have 167 textures in A16 and 173 textures in A17. Two of those textures cannot be selected directly in the R menu but they can be copied to the brush (yet another unfixed bug).

Many of the new textures look fugly though. Either due to terrible scaling (thanks to the new texture array where all textures seem to have the same size) or because they are too bright/pale. A lot of the nice and clean looking stuff from A16 has been replaced by worn out-looking versions. So subjectively, I have to agree.^^

Objectively, no. We have 167 textures in A16 and 173 textures in A17. Two of those textures cannot be selected directly in the R menu but they can be copied to the brush (yet another unfixed bug).

Many of the new textures look fugly though. Either due to terrible scaling (thanks to the new texture array where all textures seem to have the same size) or because they are too bright/pale. A lot of the nice and clean looking stuff from A16 has been replaced by worn out-looking versions. So subjectively, I have to agree.^^

Well better yet. Just make it moddable ;)

But must require inner circle only

Archived