Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Would it be possible to program a vehicle physics for horde night that you hit a zombie and slow down. Then if you hit a lot of zombies and eventually stop you risk the zombies beating on the vehicle until it blows up.

A possible risk solution for vehicles on horde night?

Because it's all artificial. Besides, I don't need any extra excitement in my life. In my daily work I get more than enough adrenaline.

I play mostly to relax. For me, building is the most interesting part of 7 Days to die. I accept the other aspects because they are part of the game. Every now and then I get a taste for adventure and do a few quests but most of the time I prefer a calm game.

It being artificial is the good part! None wants to be at real risk. Are you working as a stuntman? :p

But yes, I can understand that someone would want to play the game to relax instead of being at tension. I enjoy building more than most things too, but I want it combined with that tension of having to survive, defend etc, something that Minecraft for example didn't offer.

I keep reading madmole saying that Mining is completly changed for Alpha 18.

Where can i read about these changes?

i was also wondering if they planned to do anything about the stone shovel.

it`s stupid and it belongs in Minecraft.

If i didn`t have a shovel and i needed to dig i would make a wood shovel. better yet if i had access to some scrap iron it would make an excellent shovel.

It stupid? Sorry dude but we have three classes of tools, stone, iron and steel. I think most players can associate to the stone age just fine. Players don't have access to scrap iron and working with metal on day 1 so I disagree that its stupid. Realistically in a modern apocalypse it is, but game wise its a decent abstraction IMO.

Hello there madmole, been in the shadow following you work for a very long time probably back to 2014 or something, right now i was just wondering about the experimental version of A18, do you have any idea as accurate as it could be about the realease date ?

With my respects sir.

Fura

To add to SnowDog: A body builder cannot also be a jockey. What if he wants to be both?

of course he can. Why should someone not be able to hit hard and be athletic? Ever watched these superman shows?

And I already spend my points in the different perks. Why do I need an overarching perk that defines if I can learn it?

I am not saying that a well thoughtout skillsystem doesn't work.

I'm saying it holds your hand and restricts your freedom. In a linear rpg for example, this is something great!

If you wanna go a dexs build, you cant go mage. Just play the story again after your finished.

This is not a linear, not an rpg and it doesn't have an end.

Hell, it doesn't even restrict you. If you just play long enough you can still do whatever you want and be an allrounder.

But in a sandbox open world, you do not want to hold back the players exploration. You want them to try everything.

In this a sandbox is fundamentally different from a linear rpg.

And no this game is not an RPG as much as they try to hammer it home.

There is no "role" you play, since there is no story in which you can roleplay in. There are no npcs to compare to. You do not have a predefined character.

You are just a nobody trying to survive. 7d2d is as much an RPG as Minecraft is.

Sure you can act roleplay'y. You can act as if you are the sherrif with his colt, or the sneaky guy just trying to avoid zombies. But there is nothing in the world that reacts to your "roleplay" nothing to compare it to.

There isn o guard telling you that you look shifty. There is no "we nords are strong and honorable, you could fit right in!".

You are just a dude who tries to survive.

So yeah... if the game is finished with npcs and all that... this "class system" might work if the world around it changes based on what you are. But until then this is just a restricting feature that tries to give you a choice but in reality just holds you back.

It is like a mom who punishes you for your bad grades by resigning you from your football club. Her intentions were honorable, but in reality it just hurt your development :D She calls it "consequence" as well. :D

A solution for this would be if you simply don't get rid of anything that doesn't kill you anyway. If you have a broken leg, it remains broken even after death. If you have food poisoning, it stays that way. If you have an infection in stage 1 or 2 then it stays the same.

I don't mind that, but that promotes an endless death loop.

1) its not investing work, its playing a game.

Everybody looks at it their way. When I dig trenches and carve rooms out of the rock, I see it as work. Work that I enjoy, but still work.

2) u can be as safe as you want if u turn bloodmoons off, or zombies off or reduce the difficulty...or reduce the frequency of blood moons..use creative menu, etc.

I leave them on because they're part of the game.

When I plan bases I start a new game with creative menu. There I can test different ideas but just getting the blocks from the creative menu is too boring for the main game. I want to farm the resources myself.

Maybe I'll make a game without zombies. Sort of the last person on earth. Let's see what that feels like.

3) Many people who invest work aka play games like a challenge. If u are safe there is no challenge.

Challenge is a subjective concept. For me it is not a challenge to shoot zombies with a firearm and throw Molotov cocktails. This is rather boring and unimaginative.

For me the challenge is to build bases that kill the bloodmoon horde on their own while I stand by and watch.

The base should not only kill the zombies but also take as little damage as possible and consume as few resources as possible.

From time to time I do quests for the trader. But I don't use firearms if possible. I only use the club and the crossbow. That is also a kind of challenge.

Really? It doesn't matter how I play? Really? So the opinion of players (me and others, because I am not the only one that voice my opinion about this stuff) doesn't matter, right? I think that the whole phrase with "No one cares how you play, you are not that important" should be directed to you, because remember, you are not the only one that bought the game and that supports TFP, so don't talk to me like you are some special guy with an arrogant attitude, because it looks to me like only your opinion matters. If MM says a thing, if he brings an idea about a feature, I can have the right to like it or not, same thing with other players, they have the right to do it, since we all support TFP...as I said...you are not the only one that bought the game so...SHHHHH!! Also I go the freedom to voice my opinion without hurting kids(like you).

If you comment was as a response to mine, then read below, if it was towards all that dislike the idea, then read it anyway...since I got the balls to voice my opinion with arguments. I think you need eye glasses. I said that if he implements such a thing, then do it as a CUSTOMISABLE OPTION, is that hard to read, really? How that pisses you off? If he implements it, then I can just disable all the bloodmoon hordes or make them easier or just use fly mode when the time comes, because I really don't care, you are not going to FORCE me and others to deal with BM hordes if we don't want to, regardless of the method. You are quite offended that I voiced my opinion, and I didn't WHINE OR COMPLAIN AT ALL, I just said that it's going to be a bit insane and if he does it, let it be an option so I can choose to have that feature or not, I DIDN'T SAY THAT HE SHOULDN'T IMPLEMENT IT AT ALL, but it looks like you are the one complaining. How does it feel to embarrass yourself in totally non-sense arguments? I will just ignore you from now on, I got nothing to do with kids, and I say the same thing for all the butthurt kids that didn't like what I said. Really, I said it nice and in a way that would not piss off anyone, that's why I wanted a customisable option, so you can choose, I still don't understand how that pisses people off, but..oh well. Peace!

This has nothing to do with anything I said at all.

You seem to be the only one here that is 'pissed off.' You really need to get over yourself.

It being artificial is the good part! None wants to be at real risk. Are you working as a stuntman? :p

No as server administrator. If a customer has a serious problem then it can be stressful and that also generates adrenaline.

Everybody looks at it their way. When I dig trenches and carve rooms out of the rock, I see it as work. Work that I enjoy, but still work.

I leave them on because they're part of the game.

When I plan bases I start a new game with creative menu. There I can test different ideas but just getting the blocks from the creative menu is too boring for the main game. I want to farm the resources myself.

Maybe I'll make a game without zombies. Sort of the last person on earth. Let's see what that feels like.

Challenge is a subjective concept. For me it is not a challenge to shoot zombies with a firearm and throw Molotov cocktails. This is rather boring and unimaginative.

For me the challenge is to build bases that kill the bloodmoon horde on their own while I stand by and watch.

The base should not only kill the zombies but also take as little damage as possible and consume as few resources as possible.

From time to time I do quests for the trader. But I don't use firearms if possible. I only use the club and the crossbow. That is also a kind of challenge.

Standing in a base and doing nothing is a challenge? Im glad Madmole disagrees, atleast Im pretty sure and hope he does... lol.

In regards to all the discussions surrounding driving away on BM to avoid it, I'm surprised nobody has suggested the following:

Blood Moon can not end until a % of the total Z's are killed.

Drive for days if you want but they will still be coming - or - turn off blood moon via the settings - or - defend like the game is intended.

All are fine options and everyone gets to play horde night like they want.

Finally, another outside of the box idea.

The one problem I see with this, as it seems to be always the case, is how it would behave in a MP setting.

I think the only way to make this work would be if the horde kept coming for one player and not another who completed it. That might be weird. It might also cause problems where a single person is holding out on purpose to mess with everyone else who can no longer get zombie spawns in POIs because the server has its max zeds due to that person.

Finally, another outside of the box idea.

The one problem I see with this, as it seems to be always the case, is how it would behave in a MP setting.

I think the only way to make this work would be if the horde kept coming for one player and not another who completed it. That might be weird. It might also cause problems where a single person is holding out on purpose to mess with everyone else who can no longer get zombie spawns in POIs because the server has its max zeds due to that person.

Doesn't the game already adjust and sends the horde to individual players, and their gamestage, already? well, as long as you are not close enough together that is.

I guess we just have played the game too much. We know how to build a base that cant be defeated. That's just the way of gaming. You play the game, learn it and beat it.

I choose to put limits on myself sometimes though, to give the zombies a chance. I'm guessing you dont.

This is role playing. Maybe you do it for a challenge, but it can be rewarding playing as a character who has certain beliefs. You can RP a biker who likes to party, and if you don't have beer or whiskey you won't go home for the night. You keep looting because you need to get drunk to calm your nerves so you can rest. You won't kill bikers because you know them, so you can only use traps on them. You wear all the biker gear, and would only drive a bike. Decorate your base like the Sons of Anarchy base.

My point is RP is fun and adds many legs to a game that would otherwise feel boring as hell. I got bored with Skyrim and got to thinking why am I bored. I pondered it for a couple of hours and I realized the game was controlling me like a robot. I was doing every quest it said, eating whatever food I had, playing like a survivor instead of someone I'd never done before. So I came up with being an artifact collector who only eats fish and stews, only wears hide armor or leather at best. I couldn't survive on charred venison any more and had to find all these ingredients for the foods my character likes to eat. I stopped looting everyone's armor to sell because I'm only interested in artifacts. I used to hate caves and ruins, but now this character thrives on them because that is the best chance of finding an artifact. Suddenly I found myself immersed again and used skills/perks I'd never used much in the game before and was having a blast. Its like trying to direct a good movie and making the choice the character would make, not what you would make. Fun stuff if you can get into it. Its taken me years to get half decent at it finally but it really is interesting once you get half good at coming up with a back story and playing the character accordingly. It creates new interesting challenges. Maybe you fear spiders so you don't fight them and run every time or use traps on them.

Anyhow these are just some Skyrim ideas, but can apply to 7 days and make the game interesting for everyone. Not being able to eat charred meat or needing beer, etc with some self imposed rules can go a long ways in adding new value to the game and see it in a new light. Of course once we get factions in it will be easier but a lot can be done now if a person gets creative.

Hey Madmole. I hope you address this issue with the (vehicle not starting during a blood moon) thing soon.

I know that you only said that it was one of many options but it seems like some people think it's a done deal.

No it was just an old ideas, one of many. Its not happening for sure, and most likely we'll just create a more rewarding hazard like zeds spawning in front of you so its not impossible to drive on horde night, just riskier.

In regards to all the discussions surrounding driving away on BM to avoid it, I'm surprised nobody has suggested the following:

Blood Moon can not end until a % of the total Z's are killed.

Drive for days if you want but they will still be coming - or - turn off blood moon via the settings - or - defend like the game is intended.

All are fine options and everyone gets to play horde night like they want.

Yeah I came up with this idea a while back, like allow bases underground, but when you come up for air the horde is there, waiting. Ride all night, but your horde is relentless and doesn't give up until you kill it. The problem is limited resources. People who did their horde want to get out into the world and do stuff, but feral running zeds from a blood moon are still running about chasing someone... what if they see you? Then you are caught dealing with running zeds after you already cleared your horde because someone ran to your front door or the poi you were in, etc. It has some design flaws is all I'm saying.

Hey my friends my english is not perfect but i hope you will understand me...
I might have, if you didn't type a wall of text. Please use paragraphs nobody likes reading a huge wall of text. I do not read walls of text, FYI, so if anyone wants me to see your post, keep it short and use paragraphs if its somewhat lengthy.

Remove the DM command on survival please. It's too tempting and breaks the game a bit for me. It's like being in a pinch in unprepared bm and having in front of u a button that solves all ur problems and ruins the entire game for you.

As long as there are still gamebreaking bugs in the game the command should be kept in the game

If you get stuck in the door frame at the trader because the door has pushed you up, you know what I mean. :)

Maybe when the game is going gold the debug command could be locked behind a option.

No it was just an old ideas, one of many. Its not happening for sure, and most likely we'll just create a more rewarding hazard like zeds spawning in front of you so its not impossible to drive on horde night, just riskier.

Really glad you said that. It will put an end to this debate. Thanks. :)

hehe,

have vultures dive bomb the car and get stuck in the grill.

overheats the vehicle from lack of air flow.

need to kill the vulture in order to remove it.

or

just turn the vulture into a goo block ,that attaches to the grill ,and you need to destroy the goo block so the vehicle doesn't overheat.

Fear is one of the worst emotions for me. I have never understood why someone wants to feel fear.

I have no problem investing work to feel safe.

I have spent the last two ingame weeks building a new base with the work area on the bedrock. The upper part of the base is surrounded by a wall of reinforced concrete and a trench filled with iron spikes. Since it's not a horde base but just a crafting base, it's actually overkill. The defense should only protect against wandering hordes and screamers. But better safe than sorry.

And it was a lot of fun to build the base. That's the kind of fun I want more for the game.

By fear I mean some sort of sense of value to your character and possessions. If you've reached demi-god status the game is over IMO. There needs to be an ongoing sense of danger that you should be preparing for. Once the threat is over, I feel like quitting or might sandbox a castle or whatever, or restart.

Standing in a base and doing nothing is a challenge? Im glad Madmole disagrees, atleast Im pretty sure and hope he does... lol.

If you didn't plan and build the base properly, you won't standing there for long. The challenge is to plan the base properly and to take all eventualities into account.

And if madmole didn't want something like that, he shouldn't have given us all those blocks and traps to build a base with.

Archived