Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

I've been watching this discussion about using vs gimping vehicles to escape horde night, and it got me thinking that some things about riding/driving vehicles are a bit funny and unintuitive the way they are now.

For instance, motorcycling is way more dangerous compared to driving a car in real life. Basically hitting anything on a motorcycle tends to be fatal, and just one slip on a wet road can be your last. But in 7d2d you can ram a brick wall at full speed and you won't even fall off your hog!

Sure, the motorbike has that wicked zombie maiming spiked plough in the front, but still I think there should be some chance to fall over and get hurt real bad whenever you ram a zombie (maybe diminished by some riding skill, idk). That shoud bring some healthy sense of excitement into dodging zombies coming at you along the road (and it shoud go without saying that riding off-road is extremely perilous since any collision to a stationary object could be insta-gib or at least broken legs + arms + ribcage + skull fracture). Wasn't there a time when getting hit by a zombie would knock you off the minibike? I think I remember reading something like that.

Falling off a bike should not be that lethal because the speeds are slower, but then again it's easier for faster zombies to catch you and drop you off your ride with a well placed swing. Same mechanics, different challenge.

For cars it makes sense to have better protection from the angry undead mob, but I suppose running into a sufficient amount of midless zombies could at least severely damage the vehicle, and temporarily slow it down a bit.

Now if there was a truly durable getaway vehicle like a van or truck, that could only be found in a specific POI, and only during horde night... Anyone remember that one mission in L4D, where the final objective was to fight your way to that armored truck in the hall and drive it out the depot? Man, that excrement was tight! (pardon my "french")

Nah Joel, archery can't compete with guns end game. The reload for crossbow is worse than the shotgun. The compound bow draw is slow as well. I personally hate the crossbow and use the compound bow (actually for some reason prefer the wood bow over the compound, only use compound for the extra damage). I only mentioned the Van Helsing gun-bow (crossbow) because I had just watched that movie lol. Even with points put into archery for faster reload and fully modded, it can't keep up late game. For late game (rpg-game wise, not realistic) I'm thinking like Lord of the Rings -- draw, fire, draw, fire, etc. Or Green Arrow -- 3 arrow draw, fire. Right now it feels like: drawwwwwwwww, fire, drawwwwwwwww, fire, etc. Overall, I would say the bow is on par with the pistol maybe a tad better. The best ammo that a bow has is flaming arrow. Also, I could see bleed damage being associated with arrow types for damage-over-time as well. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that it should be on par with the AK-47, just trying to portrait with words that I can see that it does still need a little bit of love to be viable late game. A suggestion to try to help you "see" what I'm saying is use a bow-type on high game staged (fully irradiated) horde nite.

On the topic with the vehicle gimping, it would be fruitless unless you could gimp the bicycle as well otherwise people will still "ride" the horde nite out. So there's that

I've been watching this discussion about using vs gimping vehicles to escape horde night, and it got me thinking that some things about riding/driving vehicles are a bit funny and unintuitive the way they are now.

For instance, motorcycling is way more dangerous compared to driving a car in real life. Basically hitting anything on a motorcycle tends to be fatal, and just one slip on a wet road can be your last. But in 7d2d you can ram a brick wall at full speed and you won't even fall off your hog!

Sure, the motorbike has that wicked zombie maiming spiked plough in the front, but still I think there should be some chance to fall over and get hurt real bad whenever you ram a zombie (maybe diminished by some riding skill, idk). That shoud bring some healthy sense of excitement into dodging zombies coming at you along the road (and it shoud go without saying that riding off-road is extremely perilous since any collision to a stationary object could be insta-gib or at least broken legs + arms + ribcage + skull fracture). Wasn't there a time when getting hit by a zombie would knock you off the minibike? I think I remember reading something like that.

Falling off a bike should not be that lethal because the speeds are slower, but then again it's easier for faster zombies to catch you and drop you off your ride with a well placed swing. Same mechanics, different challenge.

For cars it makes sense to have better protection from the angry undead mob, but I suppose running into a sufficient amount of midless zombies could at least severely damage the vehicle, and temporarily slow it down a bit.

Madmole has already written here that what you have suggested here probably comes into the game.

Pretty much every streamer I know reads the chat while driving. There are many deaths preprogrammed :)

I guess I'll be frustrated pretty often, though. When I drive through the terrain at night it often happens that I hit a rock because I didn't see it in the dark. I hope the lighting will be better so that you can see the rocks better. At the moment there seems to be a bicycle lamp attached to the motorcycle.

From what you said, it is more of blocking driving during Horde.

I didn't say that, that was The Gaffer. I always said there should be an appropriate risk (a risk is by definition uncertain) or cost. Though I personally would be ok with a total shutdown of bikes at BM as well, as a developer I would make sure that there is a good balance (and there is every indication that TFP wants something balanced, so everything is fine).

There is no need to fear the worst just because lots of ideas are thrown out, some of them clearly inappropriate or too extremist. Brainstorming works like this, you first throw out hundreds of ideas, THEN you whittle down to the ones that might work.

Also, eletromagnetic storm should, by logic, also fry all eletronic deffenses.

The blood moon already has magical properties, it is up to the developers whether circuits are fried or just disabled for a few seconds (similar to all the alien invasion movies where the cars stop working for a minute). Stationary generators might have been built with heavy lead protection (simply add lead to the crafting cost of generators for more believability) and might be not or much less influenced by this storm. These are just ideas that have to be fully fleshed out. It is the task of TFP to make a working concept out of these ideas.

We were already told that 7D is not that much of horror game as other horror games and more of survival with some horror concepts.

You still would agree that a sense of danger is appropriate, right? In a game with zombies and as you say "some horror concepts".

Why don't we just increase the archery perk into a Legolas-like speed shooting at about 150% reload speed. Then henceforth bows would have a place in the endgame. Lets say, combined with purple quality and some equipables you'd get about 450% starting speed. Which would be pretty cool just imagining it.

I hope you do. Can't help but thinking all the work / art that has been done on biomes is pretty much pointless right now as there's really close to no merit to staying anywhere but in forests. A quick trip to snow for endless water and a quick trip to a desert for endless yucca / medicine and you're golden forever in the forest. Especially because it's the most forgiving and most aesthetically pleasant place to be.

There's a pretty simple solution to that though. Make snow melt when you leave that biome. For the second part, don't let plants grow if they are not planted in their native biome. I know, I know, then people would complain that they would have to travel to a desert to get aloe and yucca. Sorry, I brought realism into the game again, my bad.

Stationary generators might have been built with heavy lead protection (simply add lead to the crafting cost of generators for more believability) and might be not or much less influenced by this storm.

What would stop me from adding lead to my bike or cars engine?

I mean if I knew that to keep the generators going during horde night i had to add lead protection why wouldn't i do it to my car or bike?

What would stop me from adding lead to my bike or cars engine?

I mean if I knew that to keep the generators going during horde night i had to add lead protection why wouldn't i do it to my car or bike?

Lead is very heavy, you might simply need too much so the car can't drive anymore if you don't know what you are doing. There even could be a lvl3 mod "lead protection" for end-game that protects the motor like a stationary generator but makes the car 30% slower.

Where's everyone getting the idea that lead will protect an electrical device from a storm? Has everyone been watching too much Chernobyl or would the storm also be fatally radioactive?

I think what you're looking for is a "Faraday cage" which is far more difficult (but not impossible) to mount on a vehicle than it is to cover a generator.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage

Where's everyone getting the idea that lead will protect an electrical device from a storm? Has everyone been watching too much Chernobyl or would the storm also be fatally radioactive?

I think what you're looking for is a "Faraday cage" which is far more difficult (but not impossible) to mount on a vehicle than it is to cover a generator.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage

Oh right, my bad. Practically TFP can invent or postulate any strange rays, gases, effects and have different devices react differently to it.

No plans to nerf shale, but I need to mine some (once I can't find gas) and make sure its not too OP. IMO you should be able to mine for one night and have gas for a week.

In A18 is there an indicator for shale locations? In recent alphas it has been a bit of guessing game where to find it; maybe that's the intention, but it's not consistent with other ores which have surface indicators.

If we are brainstorming magical abilities of the storm why not just make all vehicle disappear. Problem solved!

But honestly i would rather see game play being balanced for risk vs reward than putting up magical invisible walls to govern our actions.

no pain no gain!

Edit: words.

If we are brainstorming magical abilities of the storm why not just make all vehicle disparate. Problem solved!

But honestly i would rather see game play being balanced for risk vs reward than putting up magical invisible walls to govern our actions.

no pain no gain!

I assume you meant "disappear" in your first sentence. In your second sentence you give the reason why that might not be a good idea.

I assume you meant "disappear" in your first sentence. In your second sentence you give the reason why that might not be a good idea.

I think the word he was aiming for is "dissipate", pretty much the same as disappear.

I was going to let that slide because I liked the idea of your vehicle having an emotional breakdown on horde night :-)

Correct. Thanks for pointing it out. I edited the post.

Yes first sentence was a joke. Second sentence is my opinion.

If driving on you bike or in your car during horde night is a high risk because of possible engine failure then you should be rewarded.

- - - Updated - - -

I was going to let that slide because I liked the idea of your vehicle having an emotional breakdown on horde night :-)

Lol :)

If driving on you bike or in your car during horde night is a high risk because of possible engine failure then you should be rewarded.

You are. You saved 5000 dukes (or more?) because you didn't need to rent Duke's hotel and you saved on building a horde base. If you play a nomad scavenger for example, you just might think about that.

Oh right, my bad. Practically TFP can invent or postulate any strange rays, gases, effects and have different devices react differently to it.

Considering that the player can carry 106000 tons of concrete blocks, realism would not be a serious obstacle for anything.

For scale: 106000 metric tons are more than 2x the displacement (weight) of the Titanic.

Considering that the player can carry 106000 tons of concrete blocks, realism would not be a serious obstacle for anything.

For scale: 106000 metric tons are more than 2x the displacement (weight) of the Titanic.

Why do you know that Gazz? Lol

I'm the king of the world!

is that we are all superman!

Archived