Sign in to follow this  
madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Nice. The Van Helsing crossbow was more like a Tommy Gun with a drum magazine.

nadaf-appalal-01.jpg?1538068993

Fancy, i can totally see a rapper owning this irl. I always wondered if the crossbow was it's own class or just lumped into archery. So we have the 2 tiers for the bow, is the crossbow tier 3 then?

It would be fun to gamble at a trader on horde night, or have strippers or some kind of entertainment. Maybe the VIP rooms have full working crafting stations so you can get some things done, come with complimentary food and drink etc.

Strippers both male and female for all tastes, right? ;D

Bit of a weird thought to have that be the entertainment on horde night, though.

Edited by Crater Creator
crude (see edit history)

Hey Madmole, I have a couple of questions for you.

1. Will there be a desert eagle added to the game?

2. Will more light fixtures make a return for crafting?

Honestly I miss having different light fixtures to work with around my base, even buying them from the trader would work for me too, and what about a larger generator? yes it would cost a ton of materials but then at least we wouldnt need so many scattered, like have one crafting requirement being like 4 generator banks and then materials, just a thought on my part.

I've been keeping up with the thread but haven't seen any comments about it. I must have missed them. What did they say?

I dont remember where it was I saw it but I remember seeing that they were now expecting to have it close to ready sometime around the first part of August (barring any setbacks of course). That was a couple weeks ago I think that I saw it.

Im fairly sure it wasn't in this specific thread though. It might have been mentioned in one of the recent videos.

Re vehicles on horde night, how about a breakdown mechanic? Low quality vehicles may stall, or may take a few seconds or a few tries to start. Higher quality vehicles have a decreased chance of breaking down. To get a stalled vehicle running again, you have to get off and use the wrench or repair kit to fix it.

During normal gameplay this should have a very low chance of happening so that it is an occasional inconvenience rather than a constant annoyance.

BUT... on horde night, the breakdown probability could be increased tenfold or even a hundredfold. So you may be able to run if you have a purple vehicle... but there is still a real possibility of breaking down.

Or even more simply, use the existing mechanics but just make the parts wear out much faster on horde nights.

Edited by DanLW (see edit history)

We're about 5 or 6 weeks out yet, sorry that was a neat idea but after a rough 17 launch we're wanting to take the time and make sure its as good as it can be. We will probably be streaming and doing videos so you guys should have a fair amount of media to tide you over until release.

I've been keeping up with the thread but haven't seen any comments about it. I must have missed them. What did they say?

linked one I could find, I think there were a couple more

Edit:-

I dont remember where it was I saw it but I remember seeing that they were now expecting to have it close to ready sometime around the first part of August (barring any setbacks of course). That was a couple weeks ago I think that I saw it.

Actually, good point I think it was also brought up in the Q&A video a couple of weeks ago.... assuming you could hear what was being said :bolt:

Edited by ParadiseLostUK (see edit history)

For what little my opinion is likely worth, I'd say don't worry about the vehicle-on-horde-night types. Let them play that way if they want to. It's more effort than going from rooftop to rooftop in a town would be, and that's a pretty decent strategy too if you want to avoid fighting. You'll wind up with a whole row of half-destroyed buildings, but you'll get through the night uneaten.

Besides, you've already implemented a no-horde-night feature anyway. Someone choosing to ride one out rather than flip that setting off is choosing to consume resources. Pay in bullets, pay in fuel, pay in parkour...or just flip the dev-provided setting.

We just want to make sure there isn't any instant end game exploits. Currently its a bit too cheap/easy. If it required more risk driving on horde night it would be better. Vehicles are not balanced yet and this is part of that.

CVars from buffs can do that work already for you, if you want a set of items to have a certain effect. I helped Stallionsden set it up for his zombie hiding clothes. Tags might also work to the same end though,

Yes hopefully, we're trying some stuff out.

I see much merit in an EMP solution, vehicles aside. Lights flickering and failing for a few moments, Darkwood-style, would be great for a horror/suspense atmospheric effect in the heat of battle. Same goes for traps, which should in general be reliable, but if they fail momentarily they could perhaps make the course of the battle less predictable, randomly forcing the player to defend more actively for a little while or prepare more defense layers.

It could be a good late game stage event. Even if you just had to go and turn on your generator again they could do some damage.

Random thought came to me just now: Could you make it so certain earlier-game building blocks (cobblestone/flagstone, maybe wood...) lose some of their SI load-bearing capabilities as they get damaged, so when they're very damaged they could cause a partial collapse even if they're not completely destroyed yet?

Maybe. SI should get some love at some point.

First no more turds, now no more pistols. I like looting turds and pistols in toilets. Why is my preferred playstyle being forced to change. Why do u care how I play?

Lol ;)

Turd pistols confirmed!

Hoping archery gets some love. Or, is it "working as intended" to move you from bows to guns late game? Do like Van Helsing automatic crossbow lol

Shooting exploding arrows and you think its not competitive with guns? Its also completely stealthy and requires literally no effort to make ammo for. I'd say its plenty balanced. Do you have horde stopping power like an M60? No, but given the context of use and cost of ammo I'd say its balanced and does its job.

If we do a tier 4 shotgun it would have to be an automatic one.

you are the best

Madmole, really got a simple question for you, maybe it's already possible with modding the xml...can the effects of the feral hordes be removed from xml? I mean, no more red sky/fog, no more lightning sounds, etc...

Or maybe make an option for it? I kinda want those feral hordes to feel like they are just roaming hordes that somehow detected me and come for me.

Idk, or have an option for roaming hordes size and frequency, that would be better I guess, don't know if this was requested or not.

On roaming hordes, can can edit which zombies or animals are in the horde and you can say how many zombies in the horde but you cannot adjust frequency. The wandering horde settings are midway down the gamestages xml file. I would love to be able to set the number hordes per day....either you can’t or if you can, I’d love to hear how.

RELEASE DATE BEGGING IS AGAINST THE RULES OF THIS THREAD.

Let's not test Madmole's patience please.

• Like 1

@madmole: Is there any reason in your lore that needs for there to be a horde-night? How about a Horde-day (as in a 24hr event)?

Plus you could have sets of waves to come at varying times throughout a wider time range, instead of what it is now.

Basically, as it relates to the driving away from hordes.. how long could people really drive if the horde was a 24 hr event, instead of a few hours?

*Not saying there needs to be waves every hour for every hour of the day or anything (although later high gamestage people ;) ), but you could have a few waves here, then a couple hours later another few waves sets, and so on..*

I mean sure, some people could get enough fuel stockpiled to last for part of 24hrs but a whole day? Plus all the wear and tear that the vehicle would build up ;)

(Just thoughts)

We'll probably do away with pistols in toilets, there are plenty of dedicated gun boxes now.

Well, I did think the pistol drop rate was too high, to the point that searching all toilets became obligatory instead of funny. But like I said, you're going to lose some of the game's flavor of finding certain things in certain places.

I still shake my head that all loot bags are either 'generic good loot' or 'generic better loot' now, whereas before you would prioritize nurses if you needed medicine, cops had pistols and shotguns while old timers preferred hunting rifles, and so on. Strippers with exactly 2 units of plastic... flowers in a coffin... You may say "nightmare to maintain"; I say "using the loot table to tell a story."

Well, I did think the pistol drop rate was too high, to the point that searching all toilets became obligatory instead of funny. But like I said, you're going to lose some of the game's flavor of finding certain things in certain places.

I still shake my head that all loot bags are either 'generic good loot' or 'generic better loot' now, whereas before you would prioritize nurses if you needed medicine, cops had pistols and shotguns while old timers preferred hunting rifles, and so on. Strippers with exactly 2 units of plastic... flowers in a coffin... You may say "nightmare to maintain"; I say "using the loot table to tell a story."

I loved when the strippers used to give you a few singles.....I envisioned that some were mine before she turned into a zombie.

@madmole: Is there any reason in your lore that needs for there to be a horde-night? How about a Horde-day (as in a 24hr event)?

Plus you could have sets of waves to come at varying times throughout a wider time range, instead of what it is now.

Basically, as it relates to the driving away from hordes.. how long could people really drive if the horde was a 24 hr event, instead of a few hours?

*Not saying there needs to be waves every hour for every hour of the day or anything (although later high gamestage people ;) ), but you could have a few waves here, then a couple hours later another few waves sets, and so on..*

I mean sure, some people could get enough fuel stockpiled to last for part of 24hrs but a whole day? Plus all the wear and tear that the vehicle would build up ;)

(Just thoughts)

Not a bad idea. It could give you a little break in the middle to re-think your strategy. The downside is that hordes will not be as intense as they are now.

On roaming hordes, can can edit which zombies or animals are in the horde and you can say how many zombies in the horde but you cannot adjust frequency. The wandering horde settings are midway down the gamestages xml file. I would love to be able to set the number hordes per day....either you can’t or if you can, I’d love to hear how.

Well, there are options to edit in spawning.xml (or Idk how the file it's called), in which you got options to edit hordes, including the night hordes...but...a menu option would be simpler, and yes, I am really good at modding xml, I do this for years, still, I wish I can have a menu option to set roaming/wandering horde frequency and size.

Maybe I don't want to modify the file, maybe I want to leave it original and have a menu option, but then again, I'll wait for Madmole's response.

Not a bad idea. It could give you a little break in the middle to re-think your strategy. The downside is that hordes will not be as intense as they are now.

Oh, they could cram 3 horde nights (time frame wise) into one day. I think that would be pretty intense for later game stages. :evil:

Just saying it would really affect the current limit per wave, if they want it to.

• Like 1

Eh, it's potentially fragile to have individual armor pieces (of a kind) register with a cvar on equip/unequip.

If lag or demonic influence get this unsynched then there is no good way for fixing it.

Tracking buffs is safe...er but still very bulky.

Yeah it is not 100% safe and if one cast of the cvar fails it will not work, but as long as there is a clear indication to the player they have the set effect then they can re-equip again to get it if they lost it. Sure not good enough for the actual game, but I am sure the trigger onequip could be made more robust that it can check sometime or change it to something that keeps doing its thing as long as it remains equipped. I am sure you guys will code in a better solution when you do set items.

Oh, they could cram 3 horde nights (time frame wise) into one day. I think that would be pretty intense for later game stages. :evil:

Just saying it would really affect the current limit per wave, if they want it to.

Yeah, i mean, having like 30 waves in a day of only 8 zeds equals one horde night of 240 zeds. Pretty intense, you're right. Maybe at 11:59 pm on "horde day" it comes a huge horde (like A17.4 hordes) to finish the day.

(awful english from me, sorry)