Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

And may i suggest a little less glow in radiated zombies.

"Do radioactive things glow in the dark?

The short answer to your question is "no," radioactive things do not glow in the dark - not by themselves anyway. Radiation emitted by radioactive materials is not visible to the human eye. However, there are ways to"convert" this invisible energy to visible light. Many substances will emit visible light if "stimulated" by the ionizing radiation from radioactive material. These materials are known as "fluors" or "scintilators." So, by mixing some radioactive material with such a fluor, you can make a substance that glows. This kind of material has been used in things like the faces of clocks, watches, and instruments on ships and airplanes to make them visible in the dark. This is why most people think of glowing things when they think of radioactive materials.

It is also possible to "trick" radioactive material into creating visible light. This is called Cherenkov radiation. This happens when the radiation from the radioactive material goes into a material such as glass or water. Because the speed of light in this material is relatively slow (compared to the maximum speed of light in a vacuum), the radiation is actually traveling faster than light can travel in that material, and so it gives off light as it slows down. But to actually see this glow, it usually takes something which is very radioactive, such as the internal parts of a nuclear reactor. Weak Cherenkov light can be made from smaller amounts of radioactivity. Usually, sensitive devices have to be used to detect it."

Author:

Keith Welch, Radialogical Controls Group

https://education.jlab.org/qa/radglow_02.html

Madmole I noticed you lower the green glow on radiated zombies, it's looking amazing!

Did you read the post i wrote?(and by "wrote" i mean [ctrl+c , ctrl+v]) :D Or it was your idea?

It’s a victory just to see you acknowledge that the game really is unbalanced in this respect. :)

I still don't see it as out of balance because I just don't do cost accounting. I fight the horde and don't calculate what I could save if I didn't.

I use the term because everyone is talking about balancing here. It's like using an expression that you know is technically wrong but because everyone uses it you also use it to simplify the communition.

There won’t be a true victory unless the change can last through the inevitable backlash by those who don’t like it....

Don't worry. The underground players seem to have also given up in the forum. Then even those who don't like the current changes will give up. At the end you will have the echo chamber you always wanted. No more dissenting votes.

But that is all part of the tap dance we call Early Access.

In a dance, you don't just move in one direction.

so instead of getting a lifetime supply of gas from one oil refinery we get the equivalent of maybe 2 barrels? but it also respawns dependent on game settings though, so it would still seem like a place to go which would make sense given the type of building it is.

will barrels still be craftable for storage reasons? or would you think it would be that scarce where one wouldnt need that option anymore.

We're moving away from craft everything under the sun to find in loot and grab it, but this will probably go on for a few alphas.

Don't worry. The underground players seem to have also given up in the forum. Then even those who don't like the current changes will give up. At the end you will have the echo chamber you always wanted. No more dissenting votes.

Don't worry im still here!

But i havent played since 17.1 so i dont know the status off digging. Are they still punching through floors and stairs instead of just walking?

Don't worry im still here!

But i havent played since 17.1 so i dont know the status off digging. Are they still punching through floors and stairs instead of just walking?

Yes. They still don't know how to properly use stairs or jump over railings.

I still don't see it as out of balance because I just don't do cost accounting. I fight the horde and don't calculate what I could save if I didn't.

I use the term because everyone is talking about balancing here. It's like using an expression that you know is technically wrong but because everyone uses it you also use it to simplify the communition.

Since the developers of the game are using it If I’m going to err, it will be on the side of “balance” is the correct term. But you do you.

I love dissenting voices. Just because I argue an opposing viewpoint doesn’t mean I want those with a different perspective to go away. What proof do you have that I want what you claim. All the proof is to the contrary because critical threads exist right alongside praising threads.

In a dance, you don't just move in one direction.

To say there has been zero back and forth and zero backtracking on a direction taken by the developers reveals just how far you will go to push your agenda. Please argue your side but don’t push a fantasy and call it reality.

Just being clear.

We're moving away from craft everything under the sun to find in loot and grab it, but this will probably go on for a few alphas.

@madole

My personal preference is: Crafting > Looting > Buying

1. Crafting - Most things in general like medical supplies, basic clothing, weapons, ammo, basic traps should be craftable or the at very least something I can craft as I gather the necessary materials for. It gives me a reason to play the game.

2. Looting - Special items / legendary items, I'm fine if the loot tables include stuff from the above, but from what I've read and watched. A18 has this covered.

3. Buying - I'm not opposed if certain items are locked behind the trader. I usually use this as a last resort, if I'm not able to craft a vehicle and want one right now, then in A18 it sounds like I can get it. If more legendary items are added, I don't know if you are open to the idea of having weapon / armor sets in the game with special attributes or perks.

Now, that I think about it what are your thoughts on having something like a "Nerdy Item set" in-game? It would consist of:

- Nerdy Glasses (would be nerfed to only have the effect of +1 intellect)

- Scientist lab coat (

- Chemist gloves

- Dust mask

- Surgeon's knife

Item effect when all worn together could be a +5% to experience gain.

Or heck anything at all.

If the trader had gotten off his lazy ass and risked his life then he could have gotten the gas to sell! But NOOO, he wants to repress the proletariat!

Are we, the survivors of the apocalypse not repressed enough?? Revolution!!!!

LOL.

Noice! I drove from Dallas TX to my home Tempe AZ yesterday and that looks very much like the scenery I saw on the way there. You guys are perfectionist.

My big gripe with A17 RWG is the terrible road pathing. I think I saw you mentioning that A18 had been getting better on that end, but can you tell us how? Like can we at least expect to now see any 90 degree walls going down the road? I kinda liked the A16 way the RWG roads were made.

I'm pretty sure most of the roads are nicer than any build previously, but in an apocalypse you can probably expect to see washed out roads that aren't perfect.

May be you will give the player the opportunity to shoot while driving?

I wouldn't want to see them spawn in front of a player, but run in front of you so you need to swerve out of the way. I think state of decay had fat guys kind of run in front of your car and mess it up, something like that.

This is probably another crazy idea that will not be implemented, but I had to offer)

Madmole, you can make wolves, mountain lions, vultures and special night zombies as fast as a motorcycle and jeep, and give the player the opportunity to shoot while driving.

GIF example: https://media.giphy.com/media/dt18fXd1peWNgxtp7k/giphy.gif

video example:

For this, the game already has everything, no?

Now when I ride a motorcycle, I can hold down the right mouse button and look around, while I continue to go.

You could limit the angle of rotation of the camera and in this mode allow the player to shoot from the shotgun, pistol and magnum, as well as throwing tubular bombs, Molotov cocktails and other grenades.

If an item is selected on the belt that is not suitable for shooting while driving, then just a review will be available in this mode.

You can also enable switching belt cells while driving.

To reload a firearm, of course, you will need to stop and leave the transport. Although, you could give the opportunity to reload the weapon if the transport is not moving, but it is probably difficult.

Thanks for read )

That’s awesome! I love these kinds of improvements.

Since you changed shotgun shells, have you considered incorporating that modern arrows/bolts typically use plastic fletching instead of feathers? I'd suggest it as an alternate or replacement recipe for the steel version of these ammunitions. I mean feathers work, but if you're changing shotgun shells, why not?

Also on materials, it'd be cool if hanging moss and hay bales could be destroyed or scrapped for plant fibers, respectively.

Lastly, a crucible has no moving parts and so shouldn't need mechanical parts. I found that some designs use clay with quartz sand, so I think a (large) quantity of glass would be a better substitute.

I changed advanced shotgun ammo to use polymers, not the shells. Shells still use paper. Steel arrows and bolts use polymers too instead of feathers. You can get polymers and paper from the cardboard pallet boxes you see everywhere.

Interesting! Thanks for the details.

It sounds like this would lessen the problem of swimming in way more weak sauce weapons than you need. The only downside I see is losing the 'flavor' of certain loot containers. For example, would you start finding rocket launchers in toilets instead of pistols?

Wait, this isn't a plunger... *BOOM*

We'll probably do away with pistols in toilets, there are plenty of dedicated gun boxes now.

Someone mentioned something about ambient occlusion earlier. I was just wondering, how is it now going to be with underground and unlit interiors? I think since the first alpha I played (a13, I think) underground was affected by daylight. Even if I had a long, twisting tunnel or a completely shut off air bubble in deep rock, I could see it light up during daytime so much I could actually see around without a torch of flashlight.

I'd hate to compare 7d2d to Minecraft, but in MC it was totally dark underground once you dug like 16 meters away from any sky-exposed block. I really wish we could have pitch black caves, especially if the technology is already there to enable it. Should be fun with upcoming flashlight battery duration (IIRC), and maybe even random equipment failures :)

We need to switch to linear space lighting instead of gamma, and re-do the probes, and A19 task. That paves the way to use HDRP and shader graph, which I'm told will let us have better lighting and dark caves/houses that are sealed up.

EDIT: Minecraft uses vertex lighting which doesn't support modern art pipelines.

We'll probably do away with pistols in toilets, there are plenty of dedicated gun boxes now.

Please don't eliminate them entirely, just make them rare. It was a treat finding one the first time, and still humorous after all this time.

Also, my son (12) totally doesn't get why anyone would put a gun in a toilet. That naivete is almost as priceless as the find itself. (and I'll miss it when it's gone)

You just need more practice burning trough it :D I do agree with gas nerf though. But, it would be nice for batteries in battery bank to recharge even when we are away from base. Coming back to dark base without active deffences just because the batteries were drained since solar panels did not recharge them sucks :(

Nerfing gas would be better imho. Problem would be to balance the power. Because you would need to have your power source available to still hold up even if all your traps are activelly killing at once. And since you can not connect cables into one (so you can't have 10 solar banks wired into one point from which you would take a single lane with 1700W instead of having 10x170W), it would be pretty messy.

Also, as i said above, the problem with batteries not recharging. Currently i made it so i have multiple fuel generators with switches and i just turn on parts of the base that need to be activelly deffended. And then i have lights connected on solar power. Only few lights so the batteries don't run out when am away.

Relying on batteries in an apocalypse? I'd always have a gas generator for intense use times.

Are you saying if the chunk is unloaded solar cells do not charge?

I haven't touched elecricity in a real game, with FPS skills like mine who needs turrets and traps? A few molotovs and an ak, I'm in perma god mode. That said, it seems like a weird design that stuff uses more power when operating, it should be the same, so running a turret in "scan" mode is the same as if its shooting, and same with a blade trap.

Whilst I completely understand that the Gas/Horde Avoidance argument has it's place, I think that place is in the multiple threads already dedicated to it and not in the Dev Diary.

Here's hoping Roland has one of his epic clean ups soon :)

I would agree except that the developer was participating in the discussion and it is relevant to A18. Madmole has made his decision on the matter so if it continues to go on and on as LBD did then I'll step in but working through this stuff with the developer is what this diary is all about. Madmole is usually pretty clear and blunt when he is done with a topic and wants to move on.

What do you think about having bleed effect reduction as a separate stat for armor?

This was you can adjust it depending on the armor. So when you introduce legendary armor, or hopefully specific named armor drops, you can have that bleed effect have different %'s.

- - - Updated - - -

That sounds awesome. And I agree, legendary armor should never be craftable.

Bleed protection is a random stat on armor. We might make mods to improve it, but there should always be a small chance to bleed.

Archived