Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

I can't promise, but I have a feeling you guys will see it in some regard for an A17 patch. It can occlude a lot of different things, some things occlude easily without any noticeable bugs, others take more effort to get it shippable. We're pretty optimistic though. Its death from a thousand paper cuts so it takes time going through everything and optimizing but we're picking up gains left and right as we go. Shawn has a new character controller that is significantly faster than unity's so zombies won't eat near as much CPU pretty soon.

All these optimizations you're teasing sound incredible. I can't wait to see the results!

All these optimizations you're teasing sound incredible. I can't wait to see the results!

Since the beginning, everything renders everywhere so it can only get faster if we manage to occlude entities and certain block types from view, hopefully even underground tunnels/bases.

Does killing oneself lower the gamestage? Perhaps gamestage and diffulculty setting shouldn't acutally affect how many zombies spawn in a damn POI. Just one closet had two radiated. I'm an old dog, and my main tactic of going in stealthily and getting slteah hits ain't wokring no more.

Does killing oneself lower the gamestage? Perhaps gamestage and diffulculty setting shouldn't acutally affect how many zombies spawn in a damn POI. Just one closet had two radiated. I'm an old dog, and my main tactic of going in stealthily and getting slteah hits ain't wokring no more.

Those closets are considered traps if they're what I think you're talking about. Try shooting the closet doors with arrows. I think those closet doors are crazy weak. So they should pop on an arrow or two. And you can kill the buggers standing in it.

I... Think... Hmm.

I can't promise, but I have a feeling you guys will see it in some regard for an A17 patch. It can occlude a lot of different things, some things occlude easily without any noticeable bugs, others take more effort to get it shippable. We're pretty optimistic though. Its death from a thousand paper cuts so it takes time going through everything and optimizing but we're picking up gains left and right as we go. Shawn has a new character controller that is significantly faster than unity's so zombies won't eat near as much CPU pretty soon.

Great! Even a partial occlusion (assets maybe?) In A17 would be great.

Thanks a lot for prioritizing optimsation, because we're really fine with unballanced stuff and few bugs in alpha and beta but meanwhile the game shoud be playable at least at 1080p on mid/high end PCs to keep the community hooked. So I think this will make a lot of people happy.

The plan is no bandits until Gold or some very close to gold final beta or something like that, so that gold has a nice impact.

Late reply, but does that mean we will not see any NPCs before gold? Like the rangers and the runners that were mentioned in the A17 concept art video?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28010[/ATTACH]

Now your talking! 3 inches of rolled homogenous steel around you while you sleep, no zombies will pound through that!

No need to silence the M4 Sherman! :)

You forgot that zombies have anime-esque super-villain powers and can break through steel blocks in a few seconds.

Nowhere is safe... lol

- - - Updated - - -

It depends how good it is and soon it goes in I think.

that's what (he) said

What didn't you get that we promised?

the best iteration so far?

Alpha 17 is not perfect by any means but a big step forward towards the vision we have had for the game for a long time.

We have heard some valid concerns of the community and will be making needed adjustments to the game in the coming weeks along with bug fixes, optimizations and balance.

We are gathering data on a case by case basis, balancing and addressing the true problem areas most of which so far center around optimizations, stamina, balancing XP for all play styles, land claims, increasing zombie loot drop chance, zombie block damage, skill/perk balance and gating and random world gen improvements.

zombies.jpg.0e8281a359b7958be124228c89960b13.jpg

That's kinda sad that the base Unity Character Controller has such weak performance. If what you're talking about is the literal Unity Character Controller that comes up when googling it. Doesn't seem like that type carries a lot of bells and whistles. Though I wonder if it's more tailored and tuned for a non-destructable world. Huh. Hm.

Delivered in spades.

Alpha 17 is not perfect by any means but a big step forward towards the vision we have had for the game for a long time.

True--for the developers. But they only ever promised to deliver their own vision and not someone else's vision or some faction's vision. A17 brought us closer to the gold version that the devs want to deliver than any version prior. That some don't like it doesn't deny the fact that it is true. It only means they don't like that huge giant step forward. But forward towards the developers goal it is. As promised.

We have heard some valid concerns of the community and will be making needed adjustments to the game in the coming weeks along with bug fixes, optimizations and balance.

In progress and a little too much in some areas in my opinion...

We are gathering data on a case by case basis, balancing and addressing the true problem areas most of which so far center around optimizations, stamina, balancing XP for all play styles, land claims, increasing zombie loot drop chance, zombie block damage, skill/perk balance and gating and random world gen improvements.

Optimizations: In progress

Stamina: Delivered

Balancing XP for all playstyles: Delivered

Land Claims: Delivered

Zombie Loot Drop Chance: In progress. Lots of team debate about this.

Skill/Perk Balance: In progress

Gating: In progress

RWG: In progress

Technically you haven't received the in progress stuff yet but at the same time you shouldn't act as though those promises were abandoned. "Coming Weeks" hasn't completed yet after all. Once the coming weeks are over then we can see which promises weren't delivered.

That's kinda sad that the base Unity Character Controller has such weak performance. If what you're talking about is the literal Unity Character Controller that comes up when googling it. Doesn't seem like that type carries a lot of bells and whistles. Though I wonder if it's more tailored and tuned for a non-destructable world. Huh. Hm.

Its typical bloatware with too much crap most games wouldn't need and no source code to disable anything unwanted. It would surprise me if Rust didn't write their own.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28011[/ATTACH]

Everything said there was delivered or a matter of opinion, or a wip.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28010[/ATTACH]

Now your talking! 3 inches of rolled homogenous steel around you while you sleep, no zombie will pound through that!

No need to silence the M4 Sherman! :)

What if your gunner dies at night from infection while you're sleeping and bites your finger till you die?

Music to my ears. Nice work!

Its typical bloatware with too much crap most games wouldn't need and no source code to disable anything unwanted. It would surprise me if Rust didn't write their own.

What? Analytics and logging or something? Some crazy reflection stuff? Was looking at Unity to dabble in some simple 2D game development. :-/

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28011[/ATTACH]

https://7daystodie.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28011&d=1552592617

Zombie teacher: Explains!!

What? Analytics and logging or something? Some crazy reflection stuff? Was looking at Unity to dabble in some simple 2D game development. :-/

Its probably fine for casual game development but when you start trying to push the boundaries your performance can fall through the floor. Shawn could explain it more in detail, the bottom line is we have a new one that is much faster and when you add it up through all zombies and animals the savings is pretty substantial.

Archived