Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

You don't get xp, you just get the nearest trader.

...if the nearest is the same one, that's on the player for not exploring.

I'd argue that telling him where a DIFFERENT trader is, will further limit exploration because they would always know exactly where to go.

I just look at it like we get another mechanic to play with, along with what we already have.

We will have a system that: Points to locations and one that points to specific NPC Entities.

Win/win.

We're starting on some bandit visual design and a system that can procedurally build their inventory and armor visuals based on GS rather than hand coding all of that and making specific prefabs.

What is this GS? Is it possible to expect that the exterior design of the zombie will also be formed procedurally?

I don't really mind immersion wise, but I do think it'd be better to make such a thing available as part of the game's mechanics rather than as a reward to a few. Seems like a waste of coding otherwise.

I understood the penetrator to be a perk, not a book. So everyone can take it. The double damage on the last bullet seems to be a book.

We haven't really decided. Max level might be 100 simply because 100 perks is OP, but currently I don't think there are any restrictions, but you can keep leveling past 100 but hp and stam will stop at 200.

We've slowed leveling some so its more meaningful when you level up and you can loot fast enough to keep up with your level abilities. Like what good is unlocking things there is no way you have resources for yet?

This is fine if all perks only cost one point. When higher levels cost 2, 3, 4, & 5 points this becomes no bueno.

It's not about immersion, it's about putting the game on rails where individual skill means nothing, the game is going to decide your skill level for you.

Yeh yeah Skyrim fallout rust whatever your answer is going to be, but this kind of crap cheapens the individual player's actions.

What's next, if I hit W the game decides if I /really/ want to move forward, but because I didn't buy the walking perk it'll randomize my direction?

Sounds silly, right?

Bullets go right through a lot of things IRL, not sure why you don't like this. It actually takes skill to line up several zombies and pull it off, and the extra time spent trying can result in someone tagging you from behind or you back pedal into something, etc. Its an RPG so why this feels unexpected to you is beyond me.

I don't really mind immersion wise, but I do think it'd be better to make such a thing available as part of the game's mechanics rather than as a reward to a few. Seems like a waste of coding otherwise.

It is. Buy the perk so you know where the soft spots are. For magnums you find the book. For pistols there is a book that lets you shoot point blank and ignore a % of armor, simulating you are sticking the gun in the armpit or between armor folds and shooting.

What kind of mechanics were you expecting?

I understood the penetrator to be a perk, not a book. So everyone can take it. The double damage on the last bullet seems to be a book.

Its a perk under perception the sniper can use (works only on hunting rifles). We're deciding if and how to use it on other weapons that might make sense. The shotgun can destroy weaker walls with a book perk, and breaching rounds blow open safes.

This is fine if all perks only cost one point. When higher levels cost 2, 3, 4, & 5 points this becomes no bueno.

Perks cost 1 point but attributes go up in cost as you get to the higher tiers, so it pays to specialize because once you get an attribute to 10 you can get to rank 5 in the perks it governs for just 5 points each.

Its not intended to be master of everything. Start a new game and play a new character. We haven't removed the possibility yet but it just stupid being able to buy every perk IMO.

You can even shoot through soft walls, but I imagine some people will be calling hax.

...it only works on rays not projectiles.... Its intended use is for snipers.

This has the potential to radically change the game! It'll be interesting to see what defines a soft wall. Shapes, like plates and sheets? Materials, like dirt and wood? Or is it dynamic, based on the current HP of the block?

Scenario: While mining, you hear zombies digging into the dirt above you. Instead of having to surface or dig your way to them, you listen carefully and shoot them through the dirt.

Scenario: You're in PvP, trying to get a guy stubbornly holed up in his hardened bunker. You damage one concrete block enough to make it 'soft', but you don't destroy it. You train your sniper rifle on the block, and when you see the cracks start to disappear, you fire. The poor guy on the other side, trying to make repairs, is dead before he hits the ground. :D

It is. Buy the perk so you know where the soft spots are. For magnums you find the book. For pistols there is a book that lets you shoot point blank and ignore a % of armor, simulating you are sticking the gun in the armpit or between armor folds and shooting.

What kind of mechanics were you expecting?

It's my bad, from the discussion I misunderstood that it was a book reward, which IMO would have been too specific to give it a mechanic like penetration.

It's not about immersion, it's about putting the game on rails where individual skill means nothing, the game is going to decide your skill level for you.

Yeh yeah Skyrim fallout rust whatever your answer is going to be, but this kind of crap cheapens the individual player's actions.

What's next, if I hit W the game decides if I /really/ want to move forward, but because I didn't buy the walking perk it'll randomize my direction?

Sounds silly, right?

I have to agree with Madmole. The player will need to employ the additional skill of lining up multiple targets under the crosshairs, or this perk will be worth nothing. I'm not sure what you'd prefer, but outside of hunting games, I can only think of one game series (Sniper Elite) with a bullet penetration system that's more in depth than what's been described.

Scenario: You're in PvP, trying to get a guy stubbornly holed up in his hardened bunker. You damage one concrete block enough to make it 'soft', but you don't destroy it. You train your sniper rifle on the block, and when you see the cracks start to disappear, you fire. The poor guy on the other side, trying to make repairs, is dead before he hits the ground. :D

Very hypothetical scenario. Why would the guy inside wait for you to soften up the block to less than say 100 hp until he starts to repair? Also repairing can be done from a lot of positions, there is a good chance you won't hit him at all. If you still succeed, well, it looks like you earned that kill.

If you use TNT you can do the same even now with a better chance to score a hit, no need to carefully line him up behind the block. After the TNT blows a hole his chances aren't that good either if he is pinned in that room. Molotovs, shotgun, sniper from far away...

So if the player has to have skills to line up multiple zeds for a shot, why do you need the perk.

Someone who shoots a .50 cal round without the perk can only hit one target, but someone who shoots a 9mm with the perk can hit multiple targets.

That's just goofy.

-A

Its a perk under perception the sniper can use (works only on hunting rifles). We're deciding if and how to use it on other weapons that might make sense. The shotgun can destroy weaker walls with a book perk, and breaching rounds blow open safes.

Yay! I've started reusing the shotgun with the sawn-off barrel mod and the other ones that help with handling and accuracy. It's a beast. Then when A18 comes with dragon rounds, my god. What ammo does the M60, I'm assuming 7.62?

Facts.

Edit: eh, the quote is somewhat insufficient

... This was in response to animal farms taking up too much cpu ;)

Make it synthetic 3d printed meat then, a rare workstation you can aquire. Just have to feed it protein and alcohol and maybe antibiotics or whatnot. Requiring electricity of course :) endgame appliances :) I mean, who really wants to farm animals for the rest of their days, right?

So if the player has to have skills to line up multiple zeds for a shot, why do you need the perk.

Someone who shoots a .50 cal round without the perk can only hit one target, but someone who shoots a 9mm with the perk can hit multiple targets.

That's just goofy.

-A

Just because you can do it, doesn't mean your character in game can. Consider it training. ;)

Seriously though, reading some of these replies, it's amazing MM keeps coming back. Don't agree with it? Go play something else. Or make your own game...

Just because you can do it, doesn't mean your character in game can. Consider it training. ;)

Seriously though, reading some of these replies, it's amazing MM keeps coming back. Don't agree with it? Go play something else. Or make your own game...

Don't agree with someone's posts? Stop reading them.

-A

I ran that through forumspeaktranslator.com and it came back as "I'm taking my ball and going home" :D

Before anyone looks for forumspeaktranslator.com.....it's a joke lol

Bullets go right through a lot of things IRL, not sure why you don't like this. It actually takes skill to line up several zombies and pull it off, and the extra time spent trying can result in someone tagging you from behind or you back pedal into something, etc. Its an RPG so why this feels unexpected to you is beyond me.

You're missing the conversation.

I'm fine with bullets penetrating multiple targets. I'm not fine with perks having to be bought to do so.

I have to agree with Madmole. The player will need to employ the additional skill of lining up multiple targets under the crosshairs, or this perk will be worth nothing. I'm not sure what you'd prefer, but outside of hunting games, I can only think of one game series (Sniper Elite) with a bullet penetration system that's more in depth than what's been described.

Being able to line up the shot should be enough... THAT takes skill. Buying a perk does not.

Archived