Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Are Pack Mule and T-Rex the same as in A17? Because from your experience it sounds like it's going to be completely pointless to grab even one point of them. T-Rex for melee maybe, but then you also get 1 stamina per level, so it doesn't matter much.

It's fine to let people specialize and play how they want, but it needs to have downsides as well. Going 10 strength and 0 anything else (or other ultra-specialized builds) should have major issues, because that's beyond specializing, it's more "I don't need anything other than hitting hard to beat the game".

Specializing gets you very good at specific things early game, but obviously you will want or need other things. Its mainly about supporting certain play styles and roles so there are choices and replay value as a different build. Maybe late game you need a lot more power attacks to fend off rushing feral or radiated zeds, where early game you don't as much because zeds are slower.

@MM

Gday,

Long time player who reads the forums avidly. In my current 8k map (I run a server and to not pay out the arse I'm limited to 8k) my crew and I are having difficulty finding a trader past the initial starter quest. In games past it hasn't been an issue. I try to play honestly but I put on god mode and spent some time flying around and could not locate another.

May I suggest, even a convoluted system that can direct players to another trader? Maybe an "exploration" book, straight up request to meet another trader given a gated level requirement or some other solution?

I love, and my crew loves to explore but setting aside such time when we play on max difficulty is taking away from the simplistic joys of the game.

Even just one other trader would make things loveable.

Cheers,

Valhura

Its on our wish list.

Specializing gets you very good at specific things early game, but obviously you will want or need other things. Its mainly about supporting certain play styles and roles so there are choices and replay value as a different build. Maybe late game you need a lot more power attacks to fend off rushing feral or radiated zeds, where early game you don't as much because zeds are slower.

Any favorite new weapons? I know you're an axe man but was curious if any of the new items will take it's place.

madmole, I have an idea that will help newcomers to the game.

It would be cool if, when hovering a wrench on different objects, besides the strength bar of the object, there would also be an icon that say us it can be disassembled into parts with this wrench.

@MM

Gday,

Long time player who reads the forums avidly. In my current 8k map (I run a server and to not pay out the arse I'm limited to 8k) my crew and I are having difficulty finding a trader past the initial starter quest. In games past it hasn't been an issue. I try to play honestly but I put on god mode and spent some time flying around and could not locate another.

May I suggest, even a convoluted system that can direct players to another trader? Maybe an "exploration" book, straight up request to meet another trader given a gated level requirement or some other solution?

I love, and my crew loves to explore but setting aside such time when we play on max difficulty is taking away from the simplistic joys of the game.

Even just one other trader would make things loveable.

Cheers,

Valhura

Yeah, this should be really easy to implement. Simply have the first trader (Trader A) hold a "Courier Quest", whereby you have to deliver a package to Trader B.

Mr Mole : About resource harvesting (mining, logging, dismantling, etc.), would'nt it be more logical to recover everything at the end, when the block is destroyed? With the actual system we recover fewer resources if we have a modded tool, or high skills, only because harvesting is a little broken. But if everything came at the end, the calculation would be much simpler to do.

I find that having to cut a tree until it falls to collect the wood would be more rewarding. Same thing for a vehicle, a pile of cement, etc.

Just a thought.

That has been fixed. Not getting anything until the end would be discouraging and make most players think this block is a useless harvest.

I wish you would reconsider this. The old system was great. New spikes are bloodless, and when damaged they showed the damage and blood, a easy to spot indicator they needed to be fixed. With new bloody spikes, from a distance its harder to tell they are damaged. (And the non bloody ones were even still in the game in a17.)

On a side note, how does making new spikes already bloody make any sense?

It looks cooler.

Red Eagle already has great mod for this. It adds trader adverts in mailboxes. When you travel a good distance away from your current trader and get one, it adds a quest to visit the local trader. That way its lore friendly and easier to find additional traders.

I agree though, something like this would be good for vanilla, but they don't need to invest development time on it right now because we have a viable solution.

It could easily be a gold release addition.

How does it know where the other traders are? Is it xml only?

This doesn't answer the question. Why "5 meat" instead of "1 meat with a 20% chance at a second meat" for a single perk point?

Understand, it was curiosity thing not really a complaint or anything like that. I just figured that with, say, 3 points in the perk randomly getting 2 meat instead of 1 60% of the time would've worked as well and wondered if there was a technical reason it couldn't work.

I think there is. Coming in as a new player nobody cares tbh. Meat is ounces now. We used to harvest "LOGS" back in the day. Now nobody talks about it, they accept getting wood in granular bits and no longer have to craft logs into planks. Just get it in your head its a meatball not a steak and you'll feel better about it.

I agree. Also the hit box for repairing them seems a little weird. Especially when trying to repair them at certain angles; it's almost impossible.

Its on the floor, it works better than the old stuff which blocked repairing your fort. It also makes them more realistic when zeds walk on it.

2k without perks.

Isn't this a bit cheap for a valuable item such as the workbench?

Btw, loving how A18 is sounding. I am glued to the forums. I appreciate you tending to the forums and associating with the impatient. I am happy to wait but Christmas seems so far away (just a figure of speech not to say you are taking too long). Thanks to you and your team. Keep pimpin.

Any favorite new weapons? I know you're an axe man but was curious if any of the new items will take it's place.

Double barrel is pretty cool. Knives are getting worked on to be very fast but do less damage so they don't feel like poor man's clubs. You'll run in slash them up fast and get them bleeding then be able to watch them bleed out or go for power attacks to kill. Sneak damage with knives will be increased too.

madmole, I have an idea that will help newcomers to the game.

It would be cool if, when hovering a wrench on different objects, besides the strength bar of the object, there would also be an icon that say us it can be disassembled into parts with this wrench.

Nearly everything can be harvested so you'd be seeing icons all the time. I think its ok to experiment and harvest stuff and find out the good old fashioned way. LBD !

Isn't this a bit cheap for a valuable item such as the workbench?

Btw, loving how A18 is sounding. I am glued to the forums. I appreciate you tending to the forums and associating with the impatient. I am happy to wait but Christmas seems so far away (just a figure of speech not to say you are taking too long). Thanks to you and your team. Keep pimpin.

It very well could be, but I'm not swimming in dukes at the moment.

It very well could be, but I'm not swimming in dukes at the moment.

Stop cheating big guy and go do some quests. No such thing as easy dukes. Just kidding. Jealous I can't test too. Every update is like a new game. Thank you guys for the years of alphas. Still my go to game. I get itchy if I don't play for long periods.

Stop cheating big guy and go do some quests. No such thing as easy dukes. Just kidding. Jealous I can't test too. Every update is like a new game. Thank you guys for the years of alphas. Still my go to game. I get itchy if I don't play for long periods.

Quests are pretty easy dukes IMO :)

Double barrel is pretty cool. Knives are getting worked on to be very fast but do less damage so they don't feel like poor man's clubs. You'll run in slash them up fast and get them bleeding then be able to watch them bleed out or go for power attacks to kill. Sneak damage with knives will be increased too.

Nice, will there be a visual indicator that lets us know they are bleeding out? Like a blood gushing out or something. Right now we have no idea.

A18 is sounding more awesome each post I see.

Are knives getting the stone/iron/steel treatment as well or does the current bone knife/hunting knife/machete fill this purpose?

I ask mainly because I was wondering if the bone knife was getting adjusted a bit to deal a tiny bit more damage and be more viable as a main weapon until later upgrades.

Archived