Sign in to follow this  
madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

...If we give you a problem, we'll certainly give you tools to solve it.

JOEL,

Give us this problem and this tools to solve it:

Problem: temporary acrid smoke brought by the wind - rapid loss of endurance and loss of health if endurance is 0.

Solution: gas mask or take refuge in shelter

Problem: acid rain - damage to clothing and armor, slow loss of health.

Solution: special cape or shelter in shelter

Problem: temporary sandstorm - accelerated loss of stamina, obstructed visibility like stunning

Solution: Bandage on face and glasses or take refuge in shelter

Problem: poisoned air in some rooms of random buildings - loss of stamina, cough, with prolonged inhalation, poisoning is possible.

Solution: gas mask

Problem: Occasional buildings infested with fungi with zombie spores. Biological mines. If you step on such a mushroom, it will explode and release a gas that can infect a zombie virus.

Solution: On the walls of such buildings can be seen areas with mushrooms, so that the player understands that he needs a gas mask to explore this building. If you carefully collect these mushrooms, you can make an antidote. But the main decision is a gas mask)

Seems like the sledgehammer hits people very far away lol

Not near as far as an axe or spear.

There were some strange pathing issues with the jail door so it was removed AFAIK. A steel bar would be easy.

Thanks. Yeah, my main concern is having a vault door with 7000 hp, surrounded by puny iron bars of 2500 hp each (two adding up to 5000, but still)

(gas mask stuff)

I wouldn't mind at least one gas hazard in the game. If there were multiple, the mod system could be used to add gas mask filters. It would be nice if the mods (filters) took damage like clothing so that you have to maintain having clean filters installed.

Be careful with postponing the version. A couple of weeks ago the release date was in 6-8 weeks, now it's 2 months.

Remember the last time a build was released with a massive amount of content, but without multiple public test points in between?

It is what it is. I don't have a crystal ball and releasing a half baked build isn't good for anyone. All I know is its fun in its current half baked state and feels like crack again. All these systems are melding into a cohesive design now instead of feeling like mismatched feature clusters.

Is there any way to undo a death? As in, to restore gamestage and make the death counter read 0 again? I know you can remove the death debuff via console but I don't know how much gamestage you lose per death nor how to scrub the counter. Please help me... :upset:

I must say that I agree, if the version is playable enough for some test runs already it should be doable to get some form of Experimental going for it as well, in experimental features missing could be added. But I guess this is a tough call and you always lose. Release early with missing content and people complain, wait to long people complain.

It all boils down on how easily this missing content can be added in during experimental, some content probably can like a prefab that was just finished by a level designer. Missing perks and weapons a bit less, but also should be doable within a new build which require new save game's anyway. Experimental is good for this kind of thing where you can still bodge some stuff up. Though it generally is not really perceived like that sadly.

We don't care about complaints. We care about compliments, and making memories. If 18 is making new fun memories, that will wipe away any of the grief from waiting. But if it just rubs salt in the wounds and is a piece of ♥♥♥♥ then people might not ever look again. We want to get it right and make 7 days great again. Performance, reason to loot, endless risk and reward, later game content, bugs all of that matters. Just patching 17 has proven to be a huge step forward. People want a quality experience, not a flaky alpha. Most people treat experimental like final release and judge on it. We want those judges in our favor.

In fairness, there's nothing forcing you to add a second scrapping material as a return. The feature request is simply for the game to be able to support for *some* items to give back more than one type of resource when scrapping. For most items it would still remain the same. It's for the more mechanically complex items (like guns) that it would be useful (so a pistol could return scrap iron and mechanical parts, for instance). Or, you know, for modders :p
You are right, nothing is forcing me to add that. So I said we're not adding it, so stop trying to convince me, its a balancing nightmare that will just make the game even easier.

If you want that 2nd resource, get off your ass and go find it. You are scrapping it for its most common ingredient, not carefully disassembling it on a work bench.

I just don't see value in adding more ways to do what you can do already. We could be focusing on bandits, new quest types and more content.

I just don't see value in adding more ways to do what you can do already. We could be focusing on bandits, new quest types and more content.

Love this direction :)

You are right, nothing is forcing me to add that. So I said we're not adding it, so stop trying to convince me, its a balancing nightmare that will just make the game even easier.

If you want that 2nd resource, get off your ass and go find it. You are scrapping it for its most common ingredient, not carefully disassembling it on a work bench.

I agree. Second resource from scrapping will make the game easier. It's a pain to implement and it adds, in essence, nothing at all, or maybe worsens the easiness of the game in some aspects, IMO. I would agree on a more resource rich scrapping when doing it from a workbench, but it isn't really a priority and the gameplay value is "LATER THAN LATE GAME".

Not Again the bandit talk. Drooling over here.:cheerful: bring it!

1-You can disable it from the options menu? I genuinely didn't know . I praise you and your maths.

Not presently. You were the one who suggested adding a menu option. My point was that if they did that then it wouldn't matter a bit to stop youtubers from using console commands (why do we care about stopping youtubers from doing this again?)

Perhaps I misunderstood what you were saying?

Not presently. You were the one who suggested adding a menu option. My point was that if they did that then it wouldn't matter a bit to stop youtubers from using console commands (why do we care about stopping youtubers from doing this again?)

Perhaps I misunderstood what you were saying?

I see. Well I think you didn't at its core and yet remain unconvinced. Youtubers or streamers are just an example. I have seen this behaviour a lot, both from them and from comments and in servers.

There might be no way for me to transmit the bad design of allowing a console so lightly. Bethesda does that and it might be actually useful for unblocking quests sometimes but even then this game has multiplayer and from there my point stands.

A DEVELOPER TOOL should not be in vanilla mp ever as a given but as a choice. The problem might seem ridiculous to some as we are sooo used to it and Madmole himself was born inside a dev Console in the Northem lands of Solstheim. And then again there will always be an ADMIN. And he can never disable that dev console with vanilla MP and can never be one more player who enjoys a good old vanilla game and we can never trust him enough to keep his restraint intact.

Simple suggestion:

Setting allow cheats: scrap pls.

In its place:

Dev/CHEAT CONSOLE: Everyone/Admin Only/ No one.

A DEVELOPER TOOL should not be in vanilla mp ever as a given but as a choice. The problem might seem ridiculous to some as we are sooo used to it and Madmole himself was born inside a dev Console in the Northem lands of Solstheim. And then again there will always be an ADMIN. And he can never disable that dev console with vanilla MP and can never be one more player who enjoys a good old vanilla game and we can never trust him enough to keep his restraint intact.

Simple suggestion:

Setting allow cheats: scrap pls.

In its place:

Dev/CHEAT CONSOLE: Everyone/Admin Only/ No one.

Why do we even care about stopping any player from using the console? "settargetfps 60" is not a cheat. "settempunit c" is not a cheat. One can argue that these should all be in the game options, however for a lot of features it's a lot easier to simply have a console to make minor tweaks than coding in game options to handle it continually.

Until ALL game options console can handle is in the options somehow for players (not necessarily admins) then the console needs to stay. :)

A Game Console isn't a developer tool to me. It's a Game Client tool. I use it to tweak the game client (and sometimes the game) to fit the way I want to play. It's one of the main frustrations in some games (esp Early Access) where things break, and there's no way to recover through an easily accessible Game Console.

Commands are already locked behind permissions. Maybe not sufficiently, but at least it can be tweaked? :)

I don't understand the concern for people who cheat. Its their game, let them destroy the experience how they want, how does it affect you? I never cheat, well I have a few times if I got robbed by a bug, I might teleport to get my stuff back. Like I died because I got stuck on bad collider and couldn't move, so I would cheat to get my stuff back and not lose half a day walking to do so. But typically I play with cheats off when I test. Its like saying people can't use mods that make the game easier or something. WHo cares its their game. Console is useful for lots of reasons.

It's one of the main frustrations in some games (esp Early Access) where things break, and there's no way to recover through an easily accessible Game Console.

I'm with you on that one. I don't know how often the trader's door pushed me up into the door frame because I closed it too early. Then you can only get out if you go into debug mode and switch off the collision.

Is there any way to open the .map file used for player stats? My save got ruined due to stupid things and I want to fix my death counter and whatnot... Is there any way to do that?

Wait. It went from 8 weeks to to 2 months?

Oh NOES!!!!

;)

Hehe yeah the 6-8 weeks thing was announced 2 weeks ago.

It is what it is. I don't have a crystal ball and releasing a half baked build isn't good for anyone. All I know is its fun in its current half baked state and feels like crack again. All these systems are melding into a cohesive design now instead of feeling like mismatched feature clusters.

That's good to hear. Just a little bit disappointed that i won't be playing a18 for my 30th birthday later this month.

Ps. Roland, will you take care of the pie?

There were some strange pathing issues with the jail door so it was removed AFAIK. A steel bar would be easy.

Sad, but can undestand. It is possible to ask something as a door to shoot out? (sorry 4 my eng)

I didn't say the demolisher should be nerfed. But there should be a possible defense against this type of zombie.

And the question is always what is a challenge for the individual. Standing on a roof with rapid-fire weapons and wasting tons of ammunition when shooting zombies is not a challenge for me. For me, it's a challenge to build a base so that I can take a nap while the base fights the horde on its own without taking much damage and with a minimum of wasted resources.

I miss the old logs spikes bro

Then I build the next base design and the next until I run out of ideas.

I'm not looking for an adrenaline rush while playing. Excitement, tension or emotional roller coaster rides are not my goal.

In A15 I dug once passable tunnels into all biomes of the Navezgane map. Just for fun. And I have removed a mountain top to build a big mountain fortress on it. You'd probably die of boredom, but it's great fun for me.

So don't worry that I have no reason to continue playing after I have a base that reliably fends off zombies. That's when the game starts to get interesting for me.

Not if you have the base well planned. Of course, if you call a wooden box surrunded by spikes a base, I'm not surprised if the base is overrun.

I've invested a lot of time in my current base, testing different designs against hordes in creative mode that were much stronger than what I usually get in the game.

In my opinion, a game is not defined by risks. There are games where there are no risks and no challenges but they are still fun.

Taking risks is in my opinion something for people who can't plan properly or who are bored. Methodical planning can eliminate many risks in advance and if you have considered everything even all risks.

A puzzle is also a type of game. A game that requires patience and logical thinking.

im full and totally agree with you

Maybe you missed it, random stats are in on all items with quantity, and its amazing. I already on day one found a brown hunting rifle that did more damage than 2 other orange ones I had found. Handling and degradation are worse but I don't care, this is just strictly for hunting animals.

I already found a better orange pistol too, very cool stuff.

In regards to animals, did you balance meat per animal and/or spawnrates, and are they any harder to hunt down ? I've always felt the hunting could be much more fun if it was a bit harder early on, right now you can crouch very close to any animal and just one tap it with a brown wooden bow on day 1, which seems a bit too good to be true. I wish they would smell you from a far enough distance that you actually need to be an amazing shot or use something else than a basic wooden bow, like a hunting rifle.

I also feel it would probably be better if there were a bit less of them, maybe countebalanced by the fact that each gives more meat or something. I'd like it to feel along the lines of "oh boy an animal, I gotta seize that opportunity and we'll feast tonight !" instead of "hold my beer for a second, I just walked across yet another stag, brb"

I miss the old logs spikes bro

you can just mod it in if you play single player or coop. do you really need it to be in official build to use it?

I also feel it would probably be better if there were a bit less of them, maybe countebalanced by the fact that each gives more meat or something. I'd like it to feel along the lines of "oh boy an animal, I gotta seize that opportunity and we'll feast tonight !" instead of "hold my beer for a second, I just walked across yet another stag, brb"

Do you play as a single player or on a multiplayer server?

I play as a single player and there you have more than enough meat. However, I have heard from players on multiplayer servers that there is a lack of meat because all players have to share the animals on the server.