Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Ah, the siren call of perfectionism. I don't mind the wait of another month or 6 weeks at all, but this "meanwhile another unplanned feature came along" scenario will probably happen again and again in the next two months. And then the next delay is inevitable if you haven't put a steel lid on the A18 feature list. Most players would be happy though to play A18 with only 80% of the features already announced. Be it the occlusion system or 16 instead of 12 weapons, they won't be missed in A18 with all the new stuff in there.

Just saying. Any feature relegated to A19 is still a feature we can look forward to while playing A18. And really, the feature list of A18 is a dream come true.

They would be happy for 2 days and then be screaming for working missing perks. All the must have's have been identified and are already in. There are only a few more perks that require special coding and I don't think any new must haves will emerge. We should be feature complete in about 3 weeks then its just fixing bugs and polish and balance, but I'm actively balancing and playing every day right now as well as our testers, so I don't think we'll need a ton of time to balance it after everything else is done. We've already been punting stuff to 19, so don't worry no feature creep.

Maybe you missed it, random stats are in on all items with quantity, and its amazing. I already on day one found a brown hunting rifle that did more damage than 2 other orange ones I had found. Handling and degradation are worse but I don't care, this is just strictly for hunting animals.

I already found a better orange pistol too, very cool stuff.

On tools to, like mining picks?

I'm not sure you read my post correctly. I specifically said there is no reason to use the ability to give back all materials from a scrap. I even said I hate games that do just that. I just stated the ability to have more than one product from a single craft would be a modders dream. (Edit: For full disclosure. I don't mod so for all I know this is already possible to mod in. )

Yes but adding it and supporting it is still a lot of work and its something we can do for the next game maybe.

I don’t see what everyone is worried about with the demolisher. We have no idea how much damage it can do, how often they will spawn, how fast they move, etc. We don’t know what the best tactic will be defending a base against them. If it’s OP, they will change it or add in ways to deal with it... but we kinda have to see it in action first, not to mention, in an environment we haven’t played in yet.

Exactly its not even in yet. We don't sit around and try to cook up ways to destroy your fun, its more about keeping the game interesting with new challenges we present. If we give you a problem, we'll certainly give you tools to solve it.

Hi devs,

Are there plans to make stealth a bit less... weird?

Two issues: a drop from even the smallest height (e.g. half a block) results in fall sound, and a large spike in damage. I end up having to bring wood frame ramps with me on every quest because of this, and it's very very tedious.

Also, opening containers and destroying blocks while in stealth mode no longer seems to generate noise? Is that intended? Makes things a bit too easy. :)

Thank you all.

I'm testing a stealth build now so if I see anything weird I'll be sure to get it improved.

Yes but adding it and supporting it is still a lot of work and its something we can do for the next game maybe.

Seems like an odd limitation in the code. Must be a legacy thing then...

Considering the "other" popular Unity voxel game, where this is commen.

Interesting :)

Seems like an odd limitation in the code. Must be a legacy thing then...

Considering the "other" popular Unity voxel game, where this is commen.

Interesting :)

What? No its a balance issue. We have about 3000 scrappable things. How you do decide the 2nd ingredient it scraps to? Unless it was recipe driven and gave the most common 2 ingredients it would be a nightmare balancing and figuring out what the 2nd ingredient was. Its just not needed, scrapping is fine as is, its simple you get one raw resource back when scrapping. All it would do is give you more stuff which you can get by another means.

Yes June is probably not possible. More like late July early August, but in reality when its done. Its playing really good but there are major missing weapons and perks yet on some books and Attribute perks yet, so there is just no way to put it out with missing/broken books. We're making progress on the occlusion system too, and if that pans out framerate should be significantly better than 17.4 and probably no comparison to 17.

We probably could have hit the date if we didn't improve so many little things that come up along the way. Like make new short descriptions (a fancy rank name) and long descriptions of the perks. Books took a bit of a life on their own and grew in scope. Fixing design inconsistencies. Adding new tabs to items to show what perks or books unlock what. Those little QOL things were not planned but came up and that causes some delays. But in this case its worth the wait. A month or 6 weeks late with all these polish items and way more new weapons than we planned shipping will be worth the wait.

Be careful with postponing the version. A couple of weeks ago the release date was in 6-8 weeks, now it's 2 months.

Remember the last time a build was released with a massive amount of content, but without multiple public test points in between?

Be careful with postponing the version. A couple of weeks ago the release date was in 6-8 weeks, now it's 2 months.

Remember the last time a build was released with a massive amount of content, but without multiple public test points in between?

I must say that I agree, if the version is playable enough for some test runs already it should be doable to get some form of Experimental going for it as well, in experimental features missing could be added. But I guess this is a tough call and you always lose. Release early with missing content and people complain, wait to long people complain.

It all boils down on how easily this missing content can be added in during experimental, some content probably can like a prefab that was just finished by a level designer. Missing perks and weapons a bit less, but also should be doable within a new build which require new save game's anyway. Experimental is good for this kind of thing where you can still bodge some stuff up. Though it generally is not really perceived like that sadly.

Maybe you missed it, random stats are in on all items with quantity, and its amazing. I already on day one found a brown hunting rifle that did more damage than 2 other orange ones I had found. Handling and degradation are worse but I don't care, this is just strictly for hunting animals.

I already found a better orange pistol too, very cool stuff.

Yes, thank you very much. That feature is gold and improves looting by 1000 fold.

I have to ask about two QOL features, are they gonna make it into a18? :

1- Scrapping the setting CHEATS: ON/OFF and putting a setting (ADMIN/CHEAT) CONSOLE: ALL PLAYERS/ADMIN ONLY/ NO ONE.

Reason for this: You can say whatcha want, but disabling the admin ability to switch the console on is not a light thing, and it affects the gameplay in a good way for those who don't want disturbances nor do the want the cake so close (youtubers use the console lying to themselves saying "is not cheatz if I return or drop that level 6 ak after I use it", and oh boy do they use it a lot).

2- The ability to empty all your backpack with a keyboard letter/key/combination ( I mean emptying everything into a storage). Adding to this could be a CONTROLS MENU option or even a NEW WORLD MAP option that specifies what to drop when hitting that key (backpack only, toolbelt only, everything) .

Can't wait for this alpha!

Wait. It went from 8 weeks to to 2 months?

Oh NOES!!!!

;)

Yes, thank you very much. That feature is gold and improves looting by 1000 fold.

I have to ask about two QOL features, are they gonna make it into a18? :

1- Scrapping the setting CHEATS: ON/OFF and putting a setting (ADMIN/CHEAT) CONSOLE: ALL PLAYERS/ADMIN ONLY/ NO ONE.

Reason for this: You can say whatcha want, but disabling the admin ability to switch the console on is not a light thing, and it affects the gameplay in a good way for those who don't want disturbances nor do the want the cake so close (youtubers use the console lying to themselves saying "is not cheatz if I return or drop that level 6 ak after I use it", and oh boy do they use it a lot).

How would this stop youtubers from using console commands? They would simply enable the console in the options menu before they started recording and it would be exactly the same as now.

2- The ability to empty all your backpack with a keyboard letter/key/combination ( I mean emptying everything into a storage).

Definitely! Creep the scope with this if necessary Madmole!!!

What? No its a balance issue. We have about 3000 scrappable things. How you do decide the 2nd ingredient it scraps to? Unless it was recipe driven and gave the most common 2 ingredients it would be a nightmare balancing and figuring out what the 2nd ingredient was. Its just not needed, scrapping is fine as is, its simple you get one raw resource back when scrapping. All it would do is give you more stuff which you can get by another means.

In fairness, there's nothing forcing you to add a second scrapping material as a return. The feature request is simply for the game to be able to support for *some* items to give back more than one type of resource when scrapping. For most items it would still remain the same. It's for the more mechanically complex items (like guns) that it would be useful (so a pistol could return scrap iron and mechanical parts, for instance). Or, you know, for modders :p

Also, can you please make jail doors craftable again?

Or add an upgrade path from iron bars to steel bars, or something? :)

There were some strange pathing issues with the jail door so it was removed AFAIK. A steel bar would be easy.

How would this stop youtubers from using console commands? They would simply enable the console in the options menu before they started recording and it would be exactly the same as now.

Definitely! Creep the scope with this if necessary Madmole!!!

1-You can disable it from the options menu? I genuinely didn't know . I praise you and your maths.

2- Yes! the control mapping and added setting on the emptying issue sound quite absurd when written down, though It seems like if ever implemented it will need a key mapping and an inprisoned faatal tweaker hence my creepy expansion on the suggestion. Or they could just inprison faatal. Believe it or not, in films, programmers are always inprisoned / in a narrow space or making amends for hacking stuff lol.

Archived